gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681511 Posts in 27640 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 10, 2024, 08:58:04 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: And dusty old saunas, too?  (Read 4668 times)
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« on: November 02, 2009, 12:12:06 PM »

Really, what does this line mean (of course from "Take a Load Off Your Feet")? Does it really refer to small rooms with very high temperature that need to be vacuumed or am I missing something?

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 12:37:46 PM »

Correct lyric is...

"And does the yoga asanas too".

... and no, I have no idea what it means.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 01:06:27 PM »

Correct lyric is...

Asana (Sanskrit आसन ("Asanam"-आसनम् or आसनंis the correct Sanskrit-संस्कृतम् word, "आसन" is because of the influence of other languages like English and Hindi.)sitting down < आस to sit down[1]) is a body position, typically associated with the practice of Yoga, intended primarily to restore and maintain a practitioner's well-being, improve the body's flexibility and vitality, and promote the ability to remain in seated meditation for extended periods.[2] These are widely known as Yoga postures or Yoga positions, which is currently practiced for exercise and as alternate medicine.

(from Wikipedia)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 01:11:45 PM »

'course... just slipped my mind...  Roll Eyes

Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009, 02:55:35 PM »

Finally. Now the world makes much more sense. Away with old saunas, welcome sitting positions!  Cheesy

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2009, 04:24:10 PM »

The reason that line is so hard to understand is because Al combines them into one word. It sounds more like "yogasanas". In a rehearsal recording from the 90s I have (and presumably in performances during the subsequent tour), he articulates it and says "yoga asanas" but it kind of messes up the phrasing due to the extra syllable (or maybe he messed up the phrasing in the recording? I don't know. Is there a demo version floating around?).

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2009, 06:31:06 PM »

The reason that line is so hard to understand is because Al combines them into one word. It sounds more like "yogasanas". In a rehearsal recording from the 90s I have (and presumably in performances during the subsequent tour), he articulates it and says "yoga asanas" but it kind of messes up the phrasing due to the extra syllable (or maybe he messed up the phrasing in the recording? I don't know. Is there a demo version floating around?).

Yeah, I always thought he was singing "And does the old Kahuna, too".   Razz
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2009, 08:00:25 PM »

Correct lyric is...

Asana (Sanskrit आसन ("Asanam"-आसनम् or आसनंis the correct Sanskrit-संस्कृतम् word, "आसन" is because of the influence of other languages like English and Hindi.)sitting down < आस to sit down[1]) is a body position, typically associated with the practice of Yoga, intended primarily to restore and maintain a practitioner's well-being, improve the body's flexibility and vitality, and promote the ability to remain in seated meditation for extended periods.[2] These are widely known as Yoga postures or Yoga positions, which is currently practiced for exercise and as alternate medicine.

(from Wikipedia)
The real question of this thread is, who in the world of the beach boys would have that kind of knowledge to just casually throw into a song?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2009, 08:18:46 PM »

Correct lyric is...

(from Wikipedia)
The real question of this thread is, who in the world of the beach boys would have that kind of knowledge to just casually throw into a song?

Well, Al and Mike in particular were studying TM and proably yoga along with it. 
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2009, 08:21:28 PM »

Correct lyric is...

(from Wikipedia)

Well, Al and Mike in particular were studying TM and proably yoga along with it. 
True. I just saw the words Sanskrit and Hindi and thought, "WTF?".

Paulos
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2009, 09:59:18 AM »

WHat other BB lyrics have people got wrong? For awhile I was hearing the 'muted trumpeter swan' lyric from Surf's Up as 'mutant trumpeter swan'!!
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2009, 10:03:40 AM »

I always thought it was "and does the yoga hot sauna too".

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2009, 10:19:23 AM »

WHat other BB lyrics have people got wrong? For awhile I was hearing the 'muted trumpeter swan' lyric from Surf's Up as 'mutant trumpeter swan'!!

LOL

That crazy Van Dyke....

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2009, 10:28:36 AM »

WHat other BB lyrics have people got wrong?

Well... it's a minor detail, but when I was (much) younger I thought they were singing "Dance, dance, dance, now the b*tch's really hot..."   Shocked

Of course I know better now...

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2009, 10:49:59 AM »

When I was a kid I thought Barbara Ann was "bop bop bop, bop bop-ar-am".

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2009, 06:59:27 PM »

There is the "shouldn't-ah-lied" lyric that everybody and their brother seems to hear as "shootin' the line". And yes, I was one of them.  Smiley So was my dad. He heard the lyric wrong for over 40 years. We got into a rather nasty argument over that song.  Grin

Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2009, 11:45:47 PM »

Hey, I resemble that remark! Smiley

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2009, 07:18:06 PM »

Hey, on the subject of mis-heard lyrics, does anybody know if the "Candy Apple Pee" website still exists? Please tell me I'm not the only person here who remembers it.  Grin

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2009, 11:40:21 PM »

Ask, and ye shall receive:

http://www.banana-and-louie.org/cap.html  Grin

[PS - not being pissy or anything (who, me ?) but I googled that in, like, three seconds...]
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 11:43:53 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2009, 01:20:02 AM »

Ask, and ye shall receive:

http://www.banana-and-louie.org/cap.html  Grin

[PS - not being pissy or anything (who, me ?) but I googled that in, like, three seconds...]

I remember going to this website back in 1998.  Grin

[PS= Any computer search with the word pee in it always brings up websites of dubious origin's. ]

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2009, 04:24:51 AM »

I googled this - "candy apple pee" (quote marks included) and got 21 results, all pertaining to the site in question.  Smiley

shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2009, 08:32:54 AM »

Easily my favorite.  Grin

REAL LYRIC: "I wish they all could be California girls."
HEARD AS: "I wish they offered me California girls." [Mis-heard by Louanne Courtright's 9-year-old son.]
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2009, 09:46:23 AM »

My fave - "well since she put me down, there's been owls jumpin' in my bed"

Paulos
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2009, 10:44:01 AM »

From Little Honda - 'It climbs the hills like a mattress......I also thought that was the lyric although t makes absolutely no sense whatsover.

Owls jumpin' in my bed sounds like what I saw after I took that peyote........
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2009, 04:44:05 PM »

speakin of lyrics, on H.E.L.P. Is on the Way, the part with : "oh what condition my condition was in," is that a reference to the song featured on Big Lebowski?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx