gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 11:02:35 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Amazing BW show (& setlist) last night  (Read 8134 times)
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2009, 09:17:43 AM »

Dunno why they include SOS. Brian can't hit a note in the whole song. really doesn't suit his voice.

variable2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2009, 10:46:18 AM »

I'm still thinking about how different Brian's behavior was at that show...  even the guys in the band seemed stunned!  Is it possible his medications have been adjusted or something?? 

can you describe anything else that happened during the show?  sounds like a great time!
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2009, 10:52:47 AM »

Unfortunately or not, "Barbara Ann" was the BB's first Top 10 and highest charting single of the 60's in many countries. I think we should thank Barbara Ann for that. It was their biggest hit in Europe until "Kokomo"!

What about WIBN, GOK, SJB, Darlin', Do It Again, Cool Cool Water, Surf's Up, Mess of Help, Marcella, Sail on Sailor, California Saga, etc? I was always under the impression that the Beach Boys were like the second coming of the Beatles in Europe in the late 60s.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2009, 10:58:17 AM »

Half of those songs were released in the 70s. EDIT: Being an idiot, I didn't read the second half of the quote, so the 'late 60s' thing doesn't really apply to the initial quote, which said "until Kokomo." I assume your inclusion of 70s songs was meant to address that part of the initial quote. Though I must say, even with their acclaim in Europe (compared to the states) in that time frame, I still wouldn't be surprised that the likes of those songs didn't top B.A. I mean, it might be simple and dopey, but it was fun pop and in hindsight an obvious hit.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 11:04:39 AM by Luther » Logged

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2009, 11:01:46 PM »

does he typically perform the Cantina version of Heroes?  I would think that since BWPS, he would do that version.

I'm not sure what you're asking here...  I believe the version they did live is like the one on BWPS.

I was just confused because the "Cantina" version and the BWPS are two different versions, and I thought it odd that Brian would do the "Cantina" version post-BWPS, as was indicated in the original post.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2009, 02:19:39 AM »

Nice to see him having dedicated Girl Don't Tell Me to John Lennon. It's by far the most Beatlesque song in the catalog. Good thinking.

Barbara Ann, incidentally, is pure Baroque. I happen to have a fancy footwear recording of Bach playing that tune. That man could rock.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2009, 10:25:13 AM »

I was just confused because the "Cantina" version and the BWPS are two different versions...

Sorry for the confusion.  I was just trying to indicate that they did not do the short, single version — they included what I thought was called the 'Cantina' section.

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
SG7
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2009, 01:02:34 PM »

they also did the bicycle rider section in there too!
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2009, 06:50:32 AM »

can you describe anything else that happened during the show?

You have something specific in mind?  Another funny thing was how Brian kept adjusting the elastic waistband of his track pants!  LOL  Always blows my mind how he has ZERO stage-presence.

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

—MIKE LOVE

—BRIAN WILSON
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2009, 06:51:58 AM »

Was it recorded for posterity? I hear rumours. I do, of course, mean bo official tapes.  Embarrassed

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2009, 10:25:08 AM »

According to his Twitter account, Brian did "Take me Home Country Roads" last night in West Virginia. That must've been interesting.
SG7
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2009, 10:39:46 AM »

From friends I do know that went, I heard it was excellent.
variable2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2009, 10:54:35 AM »

Brian really seems to be switching it up and having a good time on this tour..
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2009, 11:32:05 AM »

According to his Twitter account, Brian did "Take me Home Country Roads" last night in West Virginia. That must've been interesting.
That would be so interesting to hear! *very innocent looking smiley* Wonder if it was just an excerpt or the entire song?

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2009, 06:03:13 PM »

Go see this tour.  If you are a true and hard core fan who loves BW, warts and all, see this show.  He is putting out and interacting with the audience,,,in his own inimitable fashion,  as well as any 67 year old survivor still out there....

Brian and Taylor on Marcella must be seen as well as heard!
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2009, 06:52:39 PM »

WOIHFOIEHGOIEWJG

John Denver is my second favorite musical artist of all time! (Beach Boys et al is my first) That would've been so great to see.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2009, 11:29:41 PM »

Go see this tour.  If you are a true and hard core fan who loves BW, warts and all, see this show.  He is putting out and interacting with the audience,,,in his own inimitable fashion,  as well as any 67 year old survivor still out there....

I will. As soon as someone borrows me $600 for the plane ticket to New York.  Sad 

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2009, 06:53:19 AM »

That would be so interesting to hear! *very innocent looking smiley* Wonder if it was just an excerpt or the entire song?

they played about 20 seconds of the song as brian walked out for the encores.

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2009, 07:02:54 AM »

Hmm...  anyone know why they didn't do "Marcella" in Phila last week?  Huh

—MURRY WILSON

—MIKE LOVE

—BRIAN WILSON
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2009, 07:13:30 AM »

Well, unlike the hits tour last year, he has the full band. That makes a real difference in instrumentation and vocals -- it's fuller.
I didn't know about that...  I guess they did that for financial reasons?  Who wasn't on the tour last year?  And why did they decide to do the full band this year?

For the U.S. hits jaunt last summer, they had "the magnificent seven" as Jeff called them. IIRC, it was Jeff, Nicky, Gary Griffin, Scott (on drums!), Probyn (on bass!) and Nelson. Missing were Paul Mertens, Taylor, Darian (although he had a replacement) and a regular bassist and drummer.

My recollection is it had less to do with financial issues and more to do with logistical ones -- not everyone was available, and it was only a handful of shows. Quite interesting to see, though. FWIW, I think shows without Darian miss something really crucial.
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2009, 07:50:23 AM »

true don. i think this was the highlight of the show for me. the band rocked on that tune.
and i keep hearing that song over and over for some reason...  Roll Eyes

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx