gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681512 Posts in 27640 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 10, 2024, 01:25:52 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Knebworth CD - Has it set a new record ?????  (Read 5681 times)
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 26, 2009, 10:37:56 AM »

Yes , as being the most released CD of all time on different labels , by any artist in the history of the Universe Huh?
I mean , here in the UK since its initial release on 'Eagle' i have bought at least 4 other releases (with different covers) and it has also been 'given away' on at least 2 occasions (albeit one was a Beach Boys and Friends compilation) in Sunday newspapers.
And now (to no surprise) while visiting a local Asda Store I notice that AGAIN it has been re-released , this time on a label called 'White Collection' cat no WHITE 241 (Manufactured in the Netherlands).
Again the front cover has nothing to do with the contents (Its a rather nice photo from the 20/20 photo shoot) , and as usual with budget releases (its a bargain at £3)  there is very little in terms of sleeve notes , and only lists the songs and writing credits.
In relation to the credits , i can just about accept Surfin USA as being written by (Berry) and not (Berry/Wilson) B U T !!!!!!!!!! the writing credit for 'Happy Birthday Brian' as (Bachman/Wilson) is somewhat unbelievable , however the next song 'KTSA' obviously was the same song writing duo (maybe a cheap cut and paste job)
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 10:50:48 AM »

Yes , as being the most released CD of all time on different labels , by any artist in the history of the Universe Huh?
I mean , here in the UK since its initial release on 'Eagle' i have bought at least 4 other releases (with different covers) and it has also been 'given away' on at least 2 occasions (albeit one was a Beach Boys and Friends compilation) in Sunday newspapers.
And now (to no surprise) while visiting a local Asda Store I notice that AGAIN it has been re-released , this time on a label called 'White Collection' cat no WHITE 241 (Manufactured in the Netherlands).
Again the front cover has nothing to do with the contents (Its a rather nice photo from the 20/20 photo shoot) , and as usual with budget releases (its a bargain at £3)  there is very little in terms of sleeve notes , and only lists the songs and writing credits.
In relation to the credits , i can just about accept Surfin USA as being written by (Berry) and not (Berry/Wilson) B U T !!!!!!!!!! the writing credit for 'Happy Birthday Brian' as (Bachman/Wilson) is somewhat unbelievable , however the next song 'KTSA' obviously was the same song writing duo (maybe a cheap cut and paste job)

Funny how there was a time when Bruce Johnston didn't want this album put out at all...and now there's like a new release of it every other year.  It's in competition with the Beach Boys Christmas albums in the "Overkill" category... 3D

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 11:57:11 AM »

Just cheapens the brand, and takes the piss out of those of us who've already shelled out for the proper release.  Who's in control?

“We live in divisive times.”
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 01:06:02 PM »

I believe the first ever Genesis album, originall titled From Genesis to Revelation but since released with many different titles, has been released more than 10 times on various different labels. I say 10 because that's about what I can recall, and I am sure there are more.

The album bombed in 1969 but by the mid 70's Genesis were making a name for themselves on both sides of the Atlantic. Decca (or London in the US) made a few releases before Jonathan King (who owned the songs) started putting it out himself on various different labels (mostly his own) under various different titles...sometimes with bonus tracks.

Its surely been released more times than Knebworth.
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 01:12:31 PM »

Bruce Johnston didn't want this album put out at all...

Why didn't Bruce want it out?

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
Jason
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 01:27:36 PM »

If you ever heard the unsweetened and unedited tape, you'd understand Bruce's hesitation.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 01:36:24 PM »

There are several records I can think of that have certainly been released on more different labels with more different covers and titles. How about the BB's Hite Morgan stuff? The Beatles' stuff from the sessions with Tony Sheridan? Elvis at the Louisiana Hayride in 1954? The Sex Pistols in Burton on Trent in 1976?
MBE
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 05:15:14 PM »

When it's on vinyl I'll care.
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2009, 05:32:56 PM »

Funny how there was a time when Bruce Johnston didn't want this album put out at all...and now there's like a new release of it every other year.  It's in competition with the Beach Boys Christmas albums in the "Overkill" category... 3D

Bruce didn't want Knebworth released?

- B00ts
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2009, 05:42:25 PM »

Because it will bring out a certain warmth in the shittiness of the music.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2009, 06:49:00 PM »

Bruce didn't want Knebworth released?

Unless I'm mistaken, no he didn't.  He used to mention it in interviews and I believe on some of the Beach Boys message forums.  I thought it was a decent enough live album.  Hooray for overdubs!

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
MBE
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2009, 08:07:33 PM »

Because it will bring out a certain warmth in the shittiness of the music.
Sure and because I love to collect it. I think the drum parts won't sound quite as isolated either. That's my big problem with cd's is that the sound balance can be uneven.
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2009, 07:14:52 AM »

I know that Bruce had his performance of "I Write The Songs" pulled from it before it was released. He is his own worst critic. A lot of work went into making Knebworth sound "deliverable" before it was released.
Paulos
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2009, 11:18:27 AM »

If there was anyone wo wouldn't of wanted it out it should of beenAl - his performanc of Cottonfields/H&V is godawful
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2009, 12:11:11 PM »

Yes Bruce has always been right in tune with what the Beach Boys should release....his idea for a grand disco anthem was a great success and sold mill....ohhh right

His production on KTSA should be hailed as groundbreak.....ohhhh right

Have to disagree about Cottonfields, I thought they should have done the whole song. It rocked. It is definitely not the best performance of H and V. That was an awkward transition anyway, you can see why it didn't last long.
Paulos
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2009, 02:36:30 PM »

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one tpesky, to me Al's phrasing was miles off and it sounded like he was reading the lyrics off a sheet having never read them before, thats honestly how it seems to me when I listen to it.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2009, 02:50:53 PM »

I agree that Al's performance was weak on "Cottonfields"/"Heroes And Villains", but I guess they had to put it on, maybe to even out the lead vocals a little bit.

Which is odd because Bruce's only lead was left off, and another semi-lead from Brian (on the would be title track!) was also nixed. For a CD that is always promoted as the last recorded concert by all six Beach Boys - or something like that - it could've been much more of a "team" recording, just by ADDING two more songs. I never timed out the CD; is there enough disc space for "I Write The Songs" and "Good Timin"?
Paulos
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2009, 03:16:10 PM »

It's 70:33 according to my copy so yes that could have fit on the CD.

I've never understood why the album is billed as Good Timin': Live At Knebworth England 1980.........when Good Timin' isn't even on it!
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2009, 04:00:20 PM »

It's 70:33 according to my copy so yes that could have fit on the CD.

I've never understood why the album is billed as Good Timin': Live At Knebworth England 1980.........when Good Timin' isn't even on it!

Perfect!   But the song is used in the intro before Al speaks, I believe.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 04:03:08 PM by Dave in KC » Logged
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2009, 09:06:24 PM »

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one tpesky, to me Al's phrasing was miles off and it sounded like he was reading the lyrics off a sheet having never read them before, thats honestly how it seems to me when I listen to it.
Me too. His voice also cracks/breaks a few times during the medley.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2009, 09:19:59 PM »

I know that Bruce had his performance of "I Write The Songs" pulled from it before it was released. He is his own worst critic. A lot of work went into making Knebworth sound "deliverable" before it was released.
I have a question about this. Does the cd and dvd contain the studio overdubs from when they were first recorded(1980?)? Or was there a vocal or instrument overdub or two recorded specifically for the release? One of the things about The Who that bugs me is that they take an archival recording, and add *new* overdubs to certain areas that need "fixed". Now, I can understand doing overdubs for something like the In Concert 1964 album, or what The Doors  did with Absolutely Live, as long as the overdubs are done "in production". Not twenty or thirty years later.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
MBE
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2009, 01:04:10 AM »

I have a question about this. Does the cd and dvd contain the studio overdubs from when they were first recorded(1980?)? Or was there a vocal or instrument overdub or two recorded specifically for the release? One of the things about The Who that bugs me is that they take an archival recording, and add *new* overdubs to certain areas that need "fixed". Now, I can understand doing overdubs for something like the In Concert 1964 album, or what The Doors  did with Absolutely Live, as long as the overdubs are done "in production". Not twenty or thirty years later.
Good thought. Loop De Loop is much better in its original form.
Stegibo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2009, 06:42:32 AM »

« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 06:57:36 AM by Stegibo » Logged

Are you ready for some Fun Fun Fun?!
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2009, 12:06:28 PM »

Me too. His voice also cracks/breaks a few times during the medley.

At least he wasn't auto-tuned to death like Mike. I swear that anytime during that show, T-Pain is going to jump out on stage and do a duet with Mike!

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.
Ganz Allein
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2009, 06:20:51 PM »

One of the things about The Who that bugs me is that they take an archival recording, and add *new* overdubs to certain areas that need "fixed". Now, I can understand doing overdubs for something like the In Concert 1964 album, or what The Doors  did with Absolutely Live, as long as the overdubs are done "in production". Not twenty or thirty years later.

I agree. And if you don't want to overdub, do it like Jimmy Page on Zep's "How the West Was Won"- digitally fix the mistakes using other sung/played bits from the same performance (or series of performances) to keep everything of the same vintage.  police
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 06:22:02 PM by Ganz Allein » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx