gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:14:27 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Pink Floyd thread  (Read 15049 times)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 09, 2011, 11:23:44 AM »

Why would you feel like a goof? It's one of the greatest records of all time!

Mainly because of its associations with neo-hippie culture and stoners. It's the default "hippie" record of choice. But it really is a fantastic record and it doesn't make me like it any less.
Speaking of associating hippies/stoners with "default hippie records," can we discuss the top cliche hippie albums/songs, I was gonna give it a number like top 5 but, I'd like to see however many you think are typical of those likenesses. There's a lot of stuff I feel people just associate it with, just random examples like Incense Peppermints or the Sgt. Pepper album, make sense?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 09, 2011, 01:58:17 PM »

Not to mention that apparantley after Final Cut the band flirted with an album of BB covers. At least that's what I heard on this message board.
If that's the case, let's get a fantasy thread going about what Floyd era we'd enjoy hearing of what BB songs....I'm gonna give some time and thought into this.
Of course we'd like to imagine what PF could do with Smile material, but mostly, I really pictured Floyd covering latter stuff like Wild Honey through Holland, which I'd still include some of the Smile tracks released on those albums. I'd like to hear the Meddle/DSOTM/WYWH era, something along the lines of:

-Little Bird
-Cabinessence
-Be With Me
-Cool Cool Water
-You Need a Mess of Help to Stand Alone
-This Whole World
-Steamboat
-All This Is That
-Funky Pretty
-Slip On Through
-Busy Doin' Nothing
-Mt. Vernon Fairway (mix all the themes as one song)
-Can't Wait Too Long
-A Day in the Life of a Tree with Til' I Die
-I Went to Sleep
-Feel Flows
-Never Learn Not To Love
-All I Wanna Do
-Marcella

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2011, 10:54:52 PM »

i barely became a pink floyd fan last week Smiley
the only song i ever knew by them before last week was "money" smh
now i almost have everything by them :D
my fav. albums by them is "animals","obscured by clouds","dark side of the moon" & "wish you were here" Smiley
myonlysunshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 22, 2011, 11:44:01 AM »

Love Pink Floyd. My favorite post-Syd album by them is Meddle, which I think is underrated. But like others have mentioned before, the Syd Barrett stuff is my favorite. Piper at the Gates of Dawn sounds far out and whimsical at the same time. I think that's why I like it so much.
Keri
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 30, 2011, 02:29:59 PM »

Love Pink Floyd. My favorite post-Syd album by them is Meddle, which I think is underrated. But like others have mentioned before, the Syd Barrett stuff is my favorite. Piper at the Gates of Dawn sounds far out and whimsical at the same time. I think that's why I like it so much.

I've listened to Pink Floyd a lot over the years, but now find much of their music too pessimistic and defeatist. But like you I still love Piper that combination of fantastical and whimsy does it for me too. I have two others that I still listen to and they are Atom Heart Mother, the title track is just so inventive and Meddle it captures a unique dreaminess. No denying Dark side of the Moon was well constructed I just don't like the place it takes me to.
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 30, 2011, 03:21:50 PM »

No denying Dark side of the Moon was well constructed I just don't like the place it takes me to.

Well said...that goes for a lot of music I've grown out of; and why I love the BB's that much more than ever.

..and agreed about AHM.

MBE
« Reply #56 on: May 13, 2013, 03:20:13 PM »

The Floyd...probably my 2nd favorite band of all time (right after the BB). My favorite period just so happens to be Saucerful thru Dark Side, and I am a huge fan of those marathon instrumental tracks. The Wall is probably my least favorite album, oddly enough, followed by the post-Waters albums. Favorites are Meddle & Obscured by Clouds. I liked Piper, but I actually prefer Barrett solo.
I didn't know you like the Floyd and Syd!
I have become a big fan over the last few years. My favorite period is 1965-68 "Lucy Leave" until "Point Me At The Sky. I do like the 1969-72 stuff a lot as well. I've come to enjoy the 1973-81 period too, but that music wouldn't have grabbed my ear too strongly had Syd and the early Floyd not existed.  Syd to me is one of the best songwriters and innovators in rock and roll. I love his solo work too. Nobody wrote like Syd.
MBE
« Reply #57 on: May 13, 2013, 03:32:53 PM »

Oh here is a video re-edit I made for Point Me At The Sky.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPU3Mj3td3M&feature=youtu.be;
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 13, 2013, 03:42:06 PM »

Oh here is a video re-edit I made for Point Me At The Sky.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPU3Mj3td3M&feature=youtu.be;

Oh that is just lovely!  Cool
MBE
« Reply #59 on: May 13, 2013, 04:42:22 PM »

Glad you like it!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 13, 2014, 02:30:50 AM »

Recently been obsessed with their music. Can any band beat their run of great albums from meddle to animals? ( the wall is a bit much IMO). This band really came into their own jamming their songs instead of doing Syd Barrett pop songs .  My favorite album is animals by them.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
KarlheinzKloppweiser
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 13, 2014, 02:56:05 AM »

My favorite Floyd song is Echoes, one of the most  amazing  rock songs I've ever heard.  My second favorite is Shine On You Crazy Diamond followed by Comfortably Numb.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #62 on: August 13, 2014, 03:28:51 AM »

Recently been obsessed with their music. Can any band beat their run of great albums from meddle to animals? ( the wall is a bit much IMO). This band really came into their own jamming their songs instead of doing Syd Barrett pop songs .  My favorite album is animals by them.

Try calling Interstellar Overdrive and Astronomy Domine pop songs!

And I find it hard to believe that you prefer Pink Floyd over the Beach Boys...
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 13, 2014, 04:27:43 AM »

Love the Barrett-era stuff. Not crazy about the Waters-led Floyd, with the exception of Wish You Were Here, which sees them baring their collective souls as never before or since...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 13, 2014, 06:39:01 AM »

Animals and Wish You Were Here have been my favorites recently. PF knows how to really play long songs extremely well.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 13, 2014, 08:21:18 AM »

Try calling Interstellar Overdrive and Astronomy Domine pop songs!

And I find it hard to believe that you prefer Pink Floyd over the Beach Boys...

He wasn't calling them pop songs. He was referring to songs like See Emily Play and Arnold Layne.
Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 13, 2014, 08:36:34 AM »

I liked their 'Classic Rock' stuff ok enough. For whatever reason, about 12 or so years ago they came out with a double cd of stuff, 'Echoes', and I bought that. I really got into the Syd stuff. Astronomy Domine is probably my favorite Floyd song. And there was something about the song 'Bike' that was appealing. It was very childlike, and very odd; the cadence of it is quite different to what I'm used to hearing. And of course there are times where Jugband Blues almost brings me to tears; 'What exactly is a dream? And what exactly is a joke?'
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 13, 2014, 11:36:43 AM »

Pixeletwin, that's what I meant. I like Floyd doing less commercial jams than the shorter Barrett era songs.

Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 13, 2014, 12:28:50 PM »

I don't like the Barret era so much - See Emily Play, Astronomy Domine and Interstellar Overdrive are fantastic - but their first album...guh, I just can't get into it, no matter how many times I try and listen to it. The songs released on his first two solo albums were of much higher quality than on Piper - the good songs anyway.

Animals is my favorite too SB. I'm having trouble finding a copy of it locally, but I'm sure I'll come across one eventually.

Of the Meddle to Wall albums, Wish You Were Here is my least favorite. Everyone loves it, but I just can't get into - not that SOYCD isn't awesome. I saw a really cool shirt on redbbble with the name of the song spread across the front, with SYD made all colorful, and Syd's face behind the words. Can't find that one anymore  Embarrassed
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 06:46:20 PM by Woodstock » Logged

slippingonthrough
Smiley Smile Associate

Male eagle walking down the street....

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 14, 2014, 11:28:00 PM »

I bought Atom Heart Mother and Obscured By Clouds today. 2 really underrated albums. I was going to get Meddle but freaking JB Hi-fi didn't have it!

These are the Pink Floyd CDs I have so far:

Atom Heart Mother
Obscured By Clouds
Dark Side Of The Moon (Experience Edition)
Wish You Were Here (EE)
Animals
The Wall (EE)

I'm addicted to their music at the moment. There's really nothing like it. My favourite ATM is The Wall.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 14, 2014, 11:36:22 PM »

I hated The Wall the first few times I listened to it - that's an album that really has to grow on you. But it is a great piece of work.

Atom Heart Mother (the song) is too long, but it has a few "oh my god" moments, like when the orchestra really gets going near the beginning, or when it all folds in to just Rick Wright's synth and Roger's bass. I heard some story about them recording the backing track all the way through in one go....must have been tough.

bluesno1fann
« Reply #71 on: August 14, 2014, 11:50:00 PM »

Wall fans should really check out the ITAOT live album. It easily surpasses the studio version of the Wall!

slippingonthrough
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 14, 2014, 11:53:11 PM »

Wall fans should really check out the ITAOT live album. It easily surpasses the studio version of the Wall!

I really want to get that but it's out of print. I'm gonna look for it at the next record fair in bendigo. Or I'll just get The Wall Immersion box set
slippingonthrough
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 14, 2014, 11:55:20 PM »

I hated The Wall the first few times I listened to it - that's an album that really has to grow on you. But it is a great piece of work.

Atom Heart Mother (the song) is too long, but it has a few "oh my god" moments, like when the orchestra really gets going near the beginning, or when it all folds in to just Rick Wright's synth and Roger's bass. I heard some story about them recording the backing track all the way through in one go....must have been tough.

I really like the title track but I do think they repeated the main theme too many times and they shouldn't have included a reprise of Breast Milky.

My favourite song on the album is Summer '68. Again, really underrated.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 11:57:40 PM by slippingonthrough » Logged
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 15, 2014, 12:27:26 AM »

I wouldn't say it surpasses the studio recording, but it certainly does it justice as a live recording. There's a lot of energy in the band, and that includes Snowy White's contributions. The couple extra songs in there are also a plus.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx