gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:03:05 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Pink Floyd thread  (Read 15026 times)
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2009, 08:05:26 PM »

Now.  That is just plain bullshit!
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2009, 09:34:15 PM »

Apparently ML didn't think the Floyd was compatible with the BB's image at the time of The Wall.

Been listening to the Final Cut a lot lately....must be rather introverted I suppose....
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2009, 10:52:37 PM »

Not to mention that apparantley after Final Cut the band flirted with an album of BB covers. At least that's what I heard on this message board.

Not quite, although David Gilmour at one point was rumored to (and in fact used to do BB songs with Jokers Wild).

I agree about the Final Cut being underrated, I really like Your Possible Pasts, The Gunner's Dream, Paranoid Eyes, the title track and Two Suns in the Sunset off that one.

YES! Actually, I love the whole album. There are many who hate it because of the recycled melodies. I wonder what those same people think of BWPS...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Ganz Allein
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2009, 06:04:06 AM »

YES! Actually, I love the whole album. There are many who hate it because of the recycled melodies. I wonder what those same people think of BWPS...

IMHO the recycled melodies in BWPS are exquisite and very apt.  The Floyd have also used recurring musical themes as motifs in much of their best work; however, on TFC, Roger Waters seems to be recycling older Floyd melodies, and not very strong ones.  Anyway, I prefer BWPS not just because of the stronger melodies (and more positive subject matter) but because the singing - autotuned or not - is much better!  As much as I love Pink Floyd and much of Roger Waters' writing, I prefer it when he's only the occasional lead vocalist.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2009, 08:52:30 PM »

Now.  That is just plain bullmerda!

I had forgotten about editing merda to merda.  In the future I will endeavor to edit my own merda to merda and save someone from sorting merda from Shinola.

Sheeeeeeeiiiiiiit!!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 08:53:58 PM by donald » Logged
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2009, 08:29:45 PM »

Back to the thread.

Just did a you tube tour of Gilmour.  Yet again.

I'll go out on a limb.  David Gilmour is the greatest living still powerful and creative of the 60's British blues lead guitars.  Not with speed and technical proficiency necessarily, ....but with a power and sensitivity,  a sense of minimalism, of just what is perfect, not a note wasted or redundant,  a level of "feel" that goes straight to the heart....that makes technicians like Beck, Page, and Clapton seem irrelevant.   

I am satisfied after hearing On an Island live.   Satisfied that it can't be touched.  True art and pure auditory poetry.
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2009, 04:46:40 PM »

Back to the thread.

Just did a you tube tour of Gilmour.  Yet again.

I'll go out on a limb.  David Gilmour is the greatest living still powerful and creative of the 60's British blues lead guitars.  Not with speed and technical proficiency necessarily, ....but with a power and sensitivity,  a sense of minimalism, of just what is perfect, not a note wasted or redundant,  a level of "feel" that goes straight to the heart....that makes technicians like Beck, Page, and Clapton seem irrelevant.   

I am satisfied after hearing On an Island live.   Satisfied that it can't be touched.  True art and pure auditory poetry.

Gilmour's guitar tone and phrasing is much more expressive IMO than Beck or Clapton's, IMO.. I've been listening to Amused to Death and Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking and Gilmour is SORELY missed. On an Island can be a bit too sleepy for me, at least the album version...I am going to have to check out the You Tube stuff....
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2009, 11:22:44 AM »

When On an Island first came out, my first few times listening I too felt it was sleepy...I referred to it as a bit of smoke punctuated by piercing guitar licks.

But I have changed my mind obviously.   I really can't compare Gilmour to any other guitar player.  More akin to something like Miles Davis. Very, very satisfying and distinctive.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2009, 12:46:57 PM »

I guess I'm one of those "It was all crap after Syd left" people...but that's what growing up hearing 70s Floyd endlessly overplayed on classic rock radio will do to you!!!

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
isle of lucy
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2009, 11:16:01 PM »

I like it all. Not some tie-dye wearing pot head or misguided teen. Just enjoy the tunes.

This sums up my Pink Floyd appreciation perfectly. I feel a bit like a goof liking Dark Side but it's an enjoyable record every time. I enjoy the Syd Barrett years but I have a lot of appreciation for Roger Waters too.

My personal favorite album is probably Wish You Were Here - just a great record all the way through.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2009, 01:01:15 AM »

Why would you feel like a goof? It's one of the greatest records of all time!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2009, 02:07:47 AM »

simple yet complicated
isle of lucy
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2009, 11:50:35 AM »

Why would you feel like a goof? It's one of the greatest records of all time!

Mainly because of its associations with neo-hippie culture and stoners. It's the default "hippie" record of choice. But it really is a fantastic record and it doesn't make me like it any less.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2009, 12:41:48 PM »

I'm a hippie stoner LOL but I liked the album as a kid too.

donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2009, 06:44:27 PM »

Gilmour shines through it all.....to this day.

If you haven't really spent some time with Island, you should.  And check out the live Island material...on the web and at your cd store.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2010, 09:53:40 AM »

Thought I'd start up this topic again as I've been listening to the Floyd quite a lot recently. Used to love them as a stoned teenager then went off them for years then learned I could appreciate them without the need for drugs. The period I'm only really interested these days is up to Obscured By Clouds. Think in many respects Dark Side is the beginning of the end. Waters cutting the marvelous Rick Wright out of the picture songwriting wise, Dave's guitar playing getting more formulated, Waters becoming obsessed with concepts and doing all the singing.... anyone else agree? I like the earlier experimental stuff. Went a little wonky after Syd left but soon picked up the pace. They lost something the second they all became rich. My favourite record by them is Atom Heart Mother. That is just brilliance.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2010, 10:11:35 AM »

You ever get the feeling that, listening to a Pink Floyd song, it doesn't sound written or recorded so much as it's just there? They didn't so much make songs as they did sweeping experiences.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2010, 09:48:26 AM »

You ever get the feeling that, listening to a Pink Floyd song, it doesn't sound written or recorded so much as it's just there? They didn't so much make songs as they did sweeping experiences.

Syd's stuff was pretty song-based.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2010, 10:07:08 AM »

Thought I'd start up this topic again as I've been listen
ing to the Floyd quite a lot recently. Used to love them as a stoned teenager then went off them for years then learned I could appreciate them without the need for drugs. The period I'm only really interested these days is up to Obscured By Clouds. Think in many respects Dark Side is the beginning of the end. Waters cutting the marvelous Rick Wright out of the picture songwriting wise, Dave's guitar playing getting more formulated, Waters becoming obsessed with concepts and doing all the singing.... anyone else agree? I like the earlier experimental stuff. Went a little wonky after Syd left but soon picked up the pace. They lost something the second they all became rich. My favourite record by them is Atom Heart Mother. That is just brilliance.

I agree...DSOTM is about as good as it could get, cohesively for the band, while WYWH was a bit more forced. After that, it was never the same, for better or worse... However, I listen to their stuff from 77-83 the most... the Waters era, and I guess 68- 70, including AHM...

I too was a teen like yourself, and then about a year ago after listening to the BB too much, I gave the Floyd a spin with a clean head, and heard and appreciated in a brand new light.

...Oh, I hear Roger will be touring the Wall soon...
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 10:15:57 AM by noname » Logged
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2010, 11:38:57 AM »

Waters cutting the marvelous Rick Wright out of the picture songwriting wise, Dave's guitar playing getting more formulated, Waters becoming obsessed with concepts and doing all the singing.... anyone else agree? I like the earlier experimental stuff.
I agree. Musically, Dark Side of the Moon is great, as is some of the other later stuff, but I get tired of Waters's personality drenching everything with this dark know-it-all sarcasm. I've heard it so many times that when songs like "Another Brick in the Wall" come on the radio, I have to change the station. It's not that I hate the music - I just don't want to hear Waters acting smug.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2010, 11:19:57 PM »

Pink Floyd rule!!!!!

Also my second favorite band!

Pink Floyd is perhaps the BEST example of the individual parts creating this insanely great whole and the whole becoming far more important than the parts!

Waters argues that it's his lyrics that make Pink Floyd so great, Gilmore argues that it's his musical ability!

Tricky thing is....... they are both right!!!!!

But let's not stop with those two glory whores!

RICK WRIGHT!!!!!!!

I'm sorry, but when you have Rick Wright you could have swapped in any other guitarist/bassist/lyricist, and it still
would have been awesome!

But here's the thing: Rick Wright and David Gilmore could have both easily joined any prog band and kicked ass and fit in and been virtuosos! But you toss in Waters and Mason, and things get really interesting. You put two prodigies in with two architects without the same musical ability and you have this freaking awesome fusion of talent and ideas! Waters and Mason couldn't play as well or fluidly as Wright/Gilmore, so what they seemed to do is make the idea of what they were playing as important as how they played it! I can't think of anyone who plays drums like Nick Mason. The closest I can get is Jerry Garcia on guitar. Meaning, they both just went on little journeys in their playing. Listen to the drums on Careful With That Axe Eugene! Mason sounds like he's trying to get somewhere rather than just play the song. He lopes from tom to tom to tom to cymbal to snare to cymbal to tom as if he is arriving at something or  trying to battle his way to the song's center or core! It's freaking mind numbingly intoxicating! Now, if you had some bass god riffing and slapping away with the drums, it might be impressive but not as commanding of that ancient mythical searching part of our brains. Instead, Waters played these simple yet muscular lines that, as they repeated over and over, tore into your psyche as the chaos of the drums somehow fit in with and danced around these aggressively simple but mighty bass notes that Roger played at the very end of his bass!

Then you toss in Gilmore and Wright and it's freaking magic!!!!

Ok, I'm babbling away like a maniac, but no one ever goes off about how great Mason is or Waters (as a bassist)
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2010, 11:24:38 AM »

Frankly Water's songs without Dave's musical backing is just coma inducing* and no amount of Clapton's or Beck's have been able to hide this.

On the other hand without Roger's concepts to build from Gilmour can do nothing but rehash parts of "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" over and over.

What made them great was they were a team! Each complemented the other perfectly. Such a shame that by the time Roger finally started to realise this Rick passed away and it put an end to any hope of a decent Floyd reunion. Maybe the Beach Boys should look at this and learn from it.

* however no amount of Dave's guitar playing could save "The Final Cut".

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2010, 11:41:52 AM »

Any hopes of a full Floyd reunion died in '06.

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2010, 11:51:10 AM »

Yes Dave said out of respect for Rick he would never use the Pink Floyd name again. A simple Waters/Gilmour collaboration would still be interesting to hear. Now that the drugs and (hopefully) the egos have been put away can these two ever make music together again? Like so many of my favourtie groups from the 60's-70's I feel there is still unfinished business here.

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2011, 11:14:52 AM »

Not to mention that apparantley after Final Cut the band flirted with an album of BB covers. At least that's what I heard on this message board.
If that's the case, let's get a fantasy thread going about what Floyd era we'd enjoy hearing of what BB songs....I'm gonna give some time and thought into this.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx