gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:50:04 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Pink Floyd thread  (Read 15023 times)
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« on: October 20, 2009, 02:23:50 AM »

It is 5:20am in the morning here in New York and Coming Back to Life from Pulse just came on my MP3. I think we need a Pink Floyd thread for general music discussion here. They were certainly Beach Boys fans, as evidenced throughout their career. IMO, they have lots in common with the 'Boys while at the same time contrasting them.

Anyone else here at SMileySmile dig them or is this thread a lost cause?
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 06:00:47 AM »

I am no fan. But I hear that the Flaming Lips are planning to cover the entire Dark Side album. Now there's a thought...

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
SG7
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 02:08:52 PM »

Bike is freaking cool. PF with Syd was the best!!!
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 04:29:26 PM »

A couple of random thoughts....

I'll always have a great appreciation for the Syd Barrett year(s).

I think Saucerful Of Secrets is underrated, although I'm not a huge fan of some of those marathon instrumental passages.

VH1 Classic has been showing a lot of Dark Side Of The Moon stuff; I still enjoy it, despite hearing it a trillion times.

I can see why some people are turned off by Pink Floyd, but I do think they were influential in their own "space rock" way.

"Comfortably Numb" is a personal favorite.

The Live Eight reunion was an emotional moment; I'm glad they did it. It's very sad that two of the members passed relatively young. I hope they all made up.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 05:43:40 PM »

The Floyd...probably my 2nd favorite band of all time (right after the BB). My favorite period just so happens to be Saucerful thru Dark Side, and I am a huge fan of those marathon instrumental tracks. The Wall is probably my least favorite album, oddly enough, followed by the post-Waters albums. Favorites are Meddle & Obscured by Clouds. I liked Piper, but I actually prefer Barrett solo.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 07:12:43 PM »

Echoes is one of my top tracks...yeah I'm a keen Floyd fan. Love Dark Side, love the Wall, love Meddle. Like the post-Waters albums. Far more of a Gilmour fan than a Waters one...although his work during 1973-1980 was classic to be sure. I like his writing just not his attitude. Love almost all aspects of Gilmour and especially Richard Wright.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 08:10:19 PM »

I like it all. Not some tie-dye wearing pot head or misguided teen. Just enjoy the tunes. Can appreciate all phases of the group. Love Piper. Probably my fave. Very special record. Love the directionless post-Syd Floyd, noise jams and zany experiments. Man & Journey thing is swell. Big fan of Cymbaline and Cirus Minor. Ummagumma is a odd but flavorful cracker. Very big on Atom Heart Mother. Title cut is something I never tire of. Meddle is great, except for Seamus. I still love Dark Side, still play it, even though radio has beaten that horse to death. Still a great, great listening experience. Very pleasing. My dirty secret - not that big of a Wish YOu Were Here fan. Love Shine on, stuff in between not my favorites. Love Animals. Great guitar work. Especially Dogs. The Wall....well, I enjoy most of it. I don't play it too much. Goodbye Blue Sky is great song. Vera, Nobody Home....all of Side 3, really. Final Cut not really a group effort but has moments of beauty and is a powerful, personal expression from Roger. I never play Momentary Lapse. I probably should. Oooh, but I LOVE Division Bell. I think it's a terribly overlooked record. Yes, it is packed with Floyd cliches, but I think the songs themselves are rather good, namely Poles Apart, Rick's song "Wearing the Inside Out", "High Hopes", and "Cluster One". "Coming Back to Life" is the only track I flat out skip. I'm sad Rick left us, but I am glad the band managed to reunite one final time and play so well together. Seeing Live8 was a very moving experience and filled my heart with joy.
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2009, 06:57:27 AM »

My favorite period just so happens to be Saucerful thru Dark Side,

I agree with this, I love their 'meandering' years when frankly they didn't know what they were doing but still putting out good stuff (and some filler, but thats life). My favourite of this period is 'More' from 1969, I love the sound and vibe of it, I love Rick Wrights keyboard sounds on it too. I always take this album on holiday with me, it has a good mediterranean feel.
My favourite post DSOTM album is certainly 'Animals', its dark and unmelodic for the most part, but quite uncompromising and is the album I always put on when I can't sleep (in fact a lot of Floyd albums are great at making you sleep, not because they're boring but because you enter a strange world of sound and you often don't know where you are), in fact these days I don't listen to 'Animals' in any other context, I can usually fall asleep by the end of 'Dogs'.

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
dogear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2009, 09:18:10 AM »

I only like their early stuff before they went boring (after "Dark Side..." if not earlier). Their first 45s are great (collected on "Relics")

Watson, did you hear this?
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2009, 07:22:39 PM »

GLad I'm not alone. I like all phases of Floyd. Someone mentioned Obscured by CLouds, and I think that is their most overlooked album. Cymbaline, Green is the Colour, and Cirrus Minor all rule. Dang, I could write a thesis statement on these guys.

IMO, SmileySmile Message Board is way more insightful and enjoyable than any of the FLoyd boards I've scoped out.

I came across The Wall Demos and was blown away. I like it better than the finished album.

It's too bad they never toured with Roger after the Live 8 thing but at least the four of them rocked out together for one last evening.

(.........more to follow)
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2009, 07:44:11 PM »

All I have to say is whoever did the stereo mix of Piper should have never been allowed to make mixes/produce again. Try listening to it on headphones. It's like the old Beatles stereo albums but significantly worse. For most of "Scarecrow", for example, ALL of the instruments are in the right ear, except for one brief guitar part in the chorus. It's very disconcerting, it actually makes the songs less immersing, although the intent was probably to do the opposite.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2009, 06:08:32 AM »

The Piper at the Gates of Dawn has to be among my favourite sixties records period. What they did after Barrett left the group is a bit too prog-rock for my personal taste, however.

"Jugband Blues" probably is the one song of theirs I love best. Great lyrics too.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2009, 08:45:13 AM »

I would've loved it if Scream Thy Last Scream and Vegetable Man had made it onto Saucerful. I consider The Madcap Laughs to be the true third Floyd album.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2009, 11:50:43 AM »

The shorter songs on THE WALL brought me in as a fan in '79 (I wasn't too keen on 20-minute epics at the time), but I grew to like everything from '67 to '83. Waters leaving was a huge blow, even though I agree that the albums were becoming solo Roger records (at the same time, THE FINAL CUT is just a magnificent piece of work). I dislike MOMENTARY LAPSE OF REASON because it really is a David Gilmour solo album dressed up as a Pink Floyd record; the attempt to address profound subject matter is embarassing. THE DIVISION BELL is more enjoyable because Gilmour doesn't feel the need to make it anything more than a solo album with Mason and Wright guesting; the result is less pretentious and more geniune. For years my favorite material was DARK SIDE OF THE MOON through FINAL CUT, but the older I get, the more I'm drawn to the period from SAUCERFUL through OBSCURED BY CLOUDS which remains mysterious in a way; you can never quite get a finger on it.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2009, 02:01:48 PM »

I would've loved it if Scream Thy Last Scream and Vegetable Man had made it onto Saucerful.

Love those two songs. Love 'em. But I can understand why they were left off Saucerful. Unless Waters or Gilmour would've cleaned them up a bit musically, those songs were a bit "too out there", even for a Pink Floyd album. They're fascinating, but they can be a hard listen.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2009, 08:24:00 PM »

Love Pink Floyd.  Wife hates it.  Maybe cause of the low key psychosis and hypnotic state  i am apt to slip into while listening.  Not conducive to light conversation and marital bliss.

Having said that, I am partial to the Umma gumma album with the odd pieces such as Grantchester Meadows and SSSOFAGTIACAGWAP.  And the live performance of Astronomy Domine.  Of course there are the early classics of Emily and Arnold which have aged exceedingly well.

I have come to adore On an Island as possibly the last great piece of Floyd related music.  It has that dreamy, wistful....sometimes ominous quality.... and heavy support from the recently departed Rick Wright.

I really could go on but I'll yield to another to have a turn.
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2009, 12:21:45 PM »

I have come to adore On an Island as possibly the last great piece of Floyd related music.  It has that dreamy, wistful....sometimes ominous quality.... and heavy support from the recently departed Rick Wright.
I like it too, "Smile" is a really ace track.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2009, 02:36:46 PM »

The shorter songs on THE WALL brought me in as a fan in '79 (I wasn't too keen on 20-minute epics at the time), but I grew to like everything from '67 to '83. Waters leaving was a huge blow, even though I agree that the albums were becoming solo Roger records (at the same time, THE FINAL CUT is just a magnificent piece of work). I dislike MOMENTARY LAPSE OF REASON because it really is a David Gilmour solo album dressed up as a Pink Floyd record; the attempt to address profound subject matter is embarassing. THE DIVISION BELL is more enjoyable because Gilmour doesn't feel the need to make it anything more than a solo album with Mason and Wright guesting; the result is less pretentious and more geniune. For years my favorite material was DARK SIDE OF THE MOON through FINAL CUT, but the older I get, the more I'm drawn to the period from SAUCERFUL through OBSCURED BY CLOUDS which remains mysterious in a way; you can never quite get a finger on it.

On the Turning Away is a solid tune IMO, much better on Delicate Sound of Thunder. The Final Cut is vastly underrated, IMO; and like Donald said, "not conducive to light conversation..."

Obscured by Clouds is a very solid album, even though it got Obscured by DSOTM. Burning Bridges, Wots... Uh the Deal, Mudmen. Great works of art. Also, as I mentioned earlier, they really had a respect for the Beach Boys.
Jason
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2009, 11:22:15 PM »

A good Pink Floyd board is an unattainable goal, due to the prevalence of Waters fans who overly fellate him at the expense of Syd and Dave. Like the Beach Boys, Pink Floyd are the proud owners of small and simple-minded fans.

But they're pretty much untouchable.
Music Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2009, 05:55:45 AM »

The more prevailing trend I've seen lately is for Dave to be fellated and for Roger to be made into a divine object of hatred and a small faction of 'it was all crap after Syd left' types. It's sad that most Floyd fans seem to be more caught up in "which one's Pink?" than the music. Also it seems to me the Floyd member that really seems to get forgotten in the whole thing is Richard Wright and he was so integral to the group sound with his keyboard textures, vocal harmonies, the songs he co-wrote with Roger and the underrated songs he contirbuted on his own. I think his Summer '68 is the strongest track on Atom Heart Mother.

I personally love all the Floyd music up to '83, like a couple of songs from the Dave led years but the group lost a lot of quality I think without Roger to provide lyrics and concepts and give things a darker edge as he teneded to do and like a lot of Roger, Dave and Syd's solo material. Unfortunatley Richard was a bit of an under-achiever on his early solo work but Pink's Song off Wet Dream is good and his last solo album Broken China was a solid showing.

I agree about the Final Cut being underrated, I really like Your Possible Pasts, The Gunner's Dream, Paranoid Eyes, the title track and Two Suns in the Sunset off that one.

The radio broadcasts of live shows from Amsterdam '69 and ones for the BBC from 1970 and 1971 are worth hearing to hear how incredible and powerful Floyd could be live. Fat Old Sun became an entireley different prospect live, it goes into a jamming section that becomes like a proto version of the instrumental work in the second half of Shine on You Crazy Diamond.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 07:32:11 PM by Music Machine » Logged
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2009, 11:08:03 AM »

Richard Wright and he was so integral to the group sound with his keyboard textures, vocal harmonies, the songs he co-wrote with Roger and the underrated songs he contirbuted on his own. I think his Summer '68 is the strongest track on Atom Heart Mother.
Round of applause. I love "Summer '68"

Ganz Allein
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2009, 06:17:02 AM »

Obscured by Clouds is a very solid album, even though it got Obscured by DSOTM. Burning Bridges, Wots... Uh the Deal, Mudmen. Great works of art. Also, as I mentioned earlier, they really had a respect for the Beach Boys.

I love Pink Floyd, too, especially from "Piper" through "The Wall."  Saw 'em live in '87, and though Roger was long departed, they still sounded great (and had the giant flying pig).

The Floyd definitely did have a lot of respect for the Beach Boys.  Listen to "The Show Must Go On," a brief song on side 4 (or CD 2) of "The Wall."  The song has a VERY BBs intro, and the harmony vocals carry throughout it.  They actually got Bruce to help them with the arrangement on that song, and he sang backing vocals on it and on several other "Wall" songs.
Music Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2009, 06:47:25 AM »

The original plan had in fact been to have all the Beach Boys sing harmony on the Show Must Go On and Waiting for the Worms.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2009, 05:51:44 PM »

Mike Love could have sung lead on IF and the lead guitar on Steamboat sounds just like the solo on If.

Think about it.
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2009, 07:25:44 PM »

Not to mention that apparantley after Final Cut the band flirted with an album of BB covers. At least that's what I heard on this message board.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx