gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:21:01 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What is the most depressing album you've ever heard?  (Read 13488 times)
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2014, 04:32:15 PM »

Nirvana's In Utero is a contender, even without "I Hate Myself And I Want To Die."
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2014, 04:15:01 AM »

Without doubt, Electro Shock Blues by Eels - but depressing in a good way...
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2014, 01:56:24 AM »

Depressing beyond belief:

Berlin----Lou Reed (side b)
Faith----The Cure (side b)

Oddly, both side a's are big favourites of mine...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2014, 09:24:14 AM »

As great as it is...
"Pacific Ocean Blue" by Dennis Wilson
Agreed, but I don't think it's the music.  Comparing "Only With You," as between Dennis on POB (on the reissue - it's not on the LP) and Carl on CATP/Holland, Dennis' delivery sounds so "pained" but Carl makes it sound "personal" and it might be just my looking back, long after his passing, wondering what made him seem so troubled.  I don't feel that way with Brian's stuff at all, even the stuff that other's find depressing such as "Til I Die" which impresses me as more philosophical rather than pessimistic.  I find that Brian "resolves" whatever is going on, either in the lyrics or or mysteriously, in the arrangement.  I'm thinking of the alternate version of Til I Die on Endless Harmony...He reminds me of one of the great philosophers just thinking about the world...

Maybe if Dennis had started composing sooner, he might have had a "place to put" his angst...that might have fulfilled him in ways that were more positive. Brian seems to throw himself into his work, at least more recently, and I think that is a good thing...
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2014, 10:00:52 AM »

Some of the songs on Pacific Ocean Blue could be considered depressing, but at the same time those songs are so deep that they're also spiritual and inspirational. And, after all of the sadness, how does he end the album?

...It's wonderful to know we're alive....at the end....
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 10, 2014, 10:58:57 AM »

Some of the songs on Pacific Ocean Blue could be considered depressing, but at the same time those songs are so deep that they're also spiritual and inspirational. And, after all of the sadness, how does he end the album?

...It's wonderful to know we're alive....at the end....

It is very deep and spiritual, I agree 100%. When it came out on the reissue (I have the old LP) I put it in the car CD player, and it was almost too intense to listen to the whole thing, over and over. 

It is beautiful but so intense, as was Dennis. 

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 07, 2014, 10:40:26 PM »

Not talking album, but I heard some assorted tracks by Joy Division & those are unbearably depressive to my ears. Though to be fair, Ian has good low voice.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #57 on: July 07, 2014, 11:08:15 PM »

« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 10:16:11 AM by Al Jardine: TheDickup Artist » Logged
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 07, 2014, 11:12:11 PM »

The Beach Boys - Holland
You list it here because..? Don't say you don't like Blondie & Ricky's presence.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #59 on: July 07, 2014, 11:38:17 PM »

« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 10:12:46 AM by Al Jardine: TheDickup Artist » Logged
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 08, 2014, 02:07:04 AM »

The Beach Boys - Holland
You list it here because..?
I don't like the lyrics. I don't like the sounds. Both of these things depress me.
And Harvest? Depressing?  Maybe Tonight's the Night or  On the Beach.

For me, I might throw out Pink Floyd's "The Final Cut". Or Let it Be by the Beatles (cause if you saw the movie it was really sad-the Beatles imploding).

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 08, 2014, 09:06:34 AM »

Nirvana's In Utero is a contender, even without "I Hate Myself And I Want To Die."

"I Hate Myself and I Want To Die" is not a track on In Utero.  Huh
halblaineisgood
« Reply #62 on: July 08, 2014, 09:57:17 AM »

« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 06:11:14 PM by Al Jardine: TheDickup Artist » Logged
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 08, 2014, 11:00:39 PM »

1. From Elvis Presley Blvd- I actually love this album but it IS  a downer to say the least.
2. Clambake (Elvis)- a depressing movie with a depressing soundtrack, but yet I can't help but Love it (well most of it)
3. Pet Sounds- Yes, it's beautiful. just don't listen to it when you are depressed.. lol
4. POB- Same as Pet Sounds
5. Raised on Rock (Elvis)- what can I say, a record of sad songs that are sung by a man who just doesn't care anymore, the first album since his divorce..
6. Plastic Ono Band- sure not as depressing as the others but sometimes the primal scream gets to me
7. The Muppets Take Manhattan (soundtrack)- Jim Henson's last movie with the Muppets before he died and of course the song "Saying Goodbye" and the wedding songs at the end make it really sad for me to listen to..
8. L.A Woman (Doors)- Wow what can I say about this one, a drunk Jim Morrison, slurring his speech to basic 3 chord blues riffs.
9. The Wonderful World of Christmas (Elvis)- a sad depressing Christmas album with no Christmas joy at all on it, well except for maybe "Merry Christmas baby"..
10. Ray Stevens- "Even Stevens"- a great album, not funny at all!!! In fact this is his most serious album..songs like "He's a jolly good fellow", "Isn't it lonely Together" and "say Cheese" are some of the most depressing songs I have ever heard. "Mr Businessman" is depressing to me because of my step dad and "Funny Man" is not a funny song, but yet I think it's his best album even better than his comedy albums..
11. The Wall- I find it disturbing more than depressing, the same with the movie, which is more disturbing than the album IMO..
12. Johnny Cash- Heck most of his American Cds from the 90's with Rick Rubin, masterpieces but depressing, especially the last two or three of them when he started sounding sick..
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 08, 2014, 11:08:10 PM »

A lot of Fiona Apple's stuff is pretty depressing.  

I'd agree that Pet sounds can be depressing... the first time I heard the album, years ago, I thought it was incredibly depressing and didn't understand why people enjoyed it so much.  As I got older I appreciated it much more and saw more of what was going on in it.

I've got to agree with the Johnny Cash albums too, especially that one with "Ain't No Grave".  Wow. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyfCTZB6Nrk

Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 09, 2014, 02:21:38 PM »

1. From Elvis Presley Blvd- I actually love this album but it IS  a downer to say the least.
2. Clambake (Elvis)- a depressing movie with a depressing soundtrack, but yet I can't help but Love it (well most of it)
3. Pet Sounds- Yes, it's beautiful. just don't listen to it when you are depressed.. lol
5. Raised on Rock (Elvis)- what can I say, a record of sad songs that are sung by a man who just doesn't care anymore, the first album since his divorce..
6. Plastic Ono Band- sure not as depressing as the others but sometimes the primal scream gets to me
7. The Muppets Take Manhattan (soundtrack)- Jim Henson's last movie with the Muppets before he died and of course the song "Saying Goodbye" and the wedding songs at the end make it really sad for me to listen to..
8. L.A Woman (Doors)- Wow what can I say about this one, a drunk Jim Morrison, slurring his speech to basic 3 chord blues riffs.
9. The Wonderful World of Christmas (Elvis)- a sad depressing Christmas album with no Christmas joy at all on it, well except for maybe "Merry Christmas baby"..
10. Ray Stevens- "Even Stevens"- a great album, not funny at all!!! In fact this is his most serious album..songs like "He's a jolly good fellow", "Isn't it lonely Together" and "say Cheese" are some of the most depressing songs I have ever heard. "Mr Businessman" is depressing to me because of my step dad and "Funny Man" is not a funny song, but yet I think it's his best album even better than his comedy albums..
11. The Wall- I find it disturbing more than depressing, the same with the movie, which is more disturbing than the album IMO..
12. Johnny Cash- Heck most of his American Cds from the 90's with Rick Rubin, masterpieces but depressing, especially the last two or three of them when he started sounding sick..

I used to feel the same way about THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF CHRISTMAS but it has grown on me over the years. Hated it as a kid, especially in comparison to the 1957 Xmas album. The 71 album is a more stately holiday affair to be sure. You are dead on about EP BOULEVARD. RAISED ON ROCK is one of the dullest Elvis albums IMO. Any thoughts on FOOL ?
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 09, 2014, 05:07:00 PM »

The Beatles - Let It Be
Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 13, 2014, 03:16:07 PM »

Big Star's Third/Sisters has to be one. As much as I love 'Nightime', the lyrics 'Get me out of here, I hate it here, get me out of here' are pretty depressing. Chilton pretty much sums it up in one sentence. Not to mention the entire song 'Holocaust'. Aye.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 13, 2014, 10:30:26 PM »

Big Star's Third/Sisters has to be one. As much as I love 'Nightime', the lyrics 'Get me out of here, I hate it here, get me out of here' are pretty depressing. Chilton pretty much sums it up in one sentence. Not to mention the entire song 'Holocaust'. Aye.

"Take Care" is also another bummer, not to mention the druggy stupor that lingers over the song:

"Take care not to hurt yourself
Beware of the need for help
You might need too much"

and

"This sounds a bit like goodbye
In a way it is I guess
As I leave your side
I've taken the air"
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 17, 2014, 09:21:21 PM »

I used to feel the same way about THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF CHRISTMAS but it has grown on me over the years. Hated it as a kid, especially in comparison to the 1957 Xmas album. The 71 album is a more stately holiday affair to be sure. You are dead on about EP BOULEVARD. RAISED ON ROCK is one of the dullest Elvis albums IMO. Any thoughts on FOOL ?
yes.. Fool has a couple real beautiful stuff with Elvis at the piano, it seems like the songs are songs from different years which sounds kind of strange to me.. I would say it's slightly better than ROR...
yonderhillside
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 18, 2014, 11:52:21 AM »

Antony and The Johnsons - I Am A Bird Now... hands down.
NickandthePassions
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 21, 2014, 03:08:22 PM »

I would say Neil Young's Tonight's the Night and On the Beach are two bleak records.  I love both of them -- they're filled with emotion due to the fact that Neil lost a Crazy Horse guitarist and a roadie to drugs. 

Patti Smith's Banga's second half is pretty depressing as well.  The Avett Brother's Magpie and the Dandelion (while one of my favorites of theirs) is sad too. 

Paul Simon's Surprise album seems like his middle-aged angry rant to the world.  I loved it, but it's clear he's not exactly happy with the world around him.

Philip Glass' soundtrack for the film The Hours is sad as well.

All of these albums are great, though!

"Living a dream
Don't wanna sleep
Might miss something"
danieljack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 28, 2014, 06:44:22 AM »

Holland 1945 that song just makes me cry thinking about how Anne Frank was killed like that.

StillSurfin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 30, 2014, 02:12:12 PM »

yes.. Fool has a couple real beautiful stuff with Elvis at the piano, it seems like the songs are songs from different years which sounds kind of strange to me.. I would say it's slightly better than ROR...

Yeah Fool is patched together from different sessions, abit like how they put together compilations of some of the budget Elvis releases on RCA Camden. The title track is definitely the strongest song IMO and one of Elvis best ballads too.

MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 12, 2014, 08:07:19 AM »

The Flaming Lips- "The Terror"

So bleak it hurts
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx