gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681011 Posts in 27626 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 15, 2024, 02:10:27 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: You Need a Mess of Help to Stand Alone video  (Read 3473 times)
Waspinators
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep it Clean with Al Jardine

View Profile
« on: November 14, 2012, 06:51:16 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjhHB4J_TCI

Searched around a bit and haven't found this anywhere on the boards... has anyone seen this one? I thought I'd seen every half-way decent grainy live video of the Boys in the '70s and then I came upon this. Wow! Carl pulling off some real cool vocals, Mike in a bathrobe and Blondie bringing the funk on a thumpy EB bass. The rest of the guys are cookin' too. If everyone's seen this, feel free to delete.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 06:53:15 PM by Waspinators » Logged
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 07:23:45 PM »

I always though it was strange that Al was playing that Fender Electric XII there.

Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 07:50:47 PM »

My DVD has false starts.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 10:59:11 PM »

this would be a lot cooler if they weren't just playing over a track.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Waspinators
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep it Clean with Al Jardine

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 12:19:52 AM »

this would be a lot cooler if they weren't just playing over a track.

Yeah, the lead guitar and vocals seem to be live though.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 12:33:50 AM »

Aye, I think this was sung live over a track recorded earlier. I've no problem with that - it's great to see this performed at all! Old Grey Whistle Test wasn't it?

“We live in divisive times.”
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 01:59:53 AM »

If Brian would've been there we'd probably have the coolest video of all time. Dennis seems a little lost here, unfortunately.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 02:05:43 AM »

If Brian would've been there we'd probably have the coolest video of all time. Dennis seems a little lost here, unfortunately.

I see performances like this as evidence that this incarnation of the band could stand up tall without Brian. They're rocking and the CATP album this comes from is one of my BBs faves. No way was Brian's contribution to that album the highlight.

Just listen to the bubblin' bass intro to HSC, trance out to ATiT, immerse yourself in Dennis's tracks… it's a band at the peak of its second (or third or fourth!) flowering.

Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 03:55:09 AM »

I see performances like this as evidence that this incarnation of the band could stand up tall without Brian. They're rocking and the CATP album this comes from is one of my BBs faves. No way was Brian's contribution to that album the highlight.

Just listen to the bubblin' bass intro to HSC, trance out to ATiT, immerse yourself in Dennis's tracks… it's a band at the peak of its second (or third or fourth!) flowering.

writing this song and Marcella? That the band could stand on its own is a statement I always hold dubious, the fact was that he was always to some extend providing them with the best material, and they knew it. Even in 1973 he supplied them with their 'hit' single. The man could rock the charts from his bed.
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2012, 04:39:12 AM »

writing this song and Marcella? That the band could stand on its own is a statement I always hold dubious, the fact was that he was always to some extend providing them with the best material, and they knew it. Even in 1973 he supplied them with their 'hit' single. The man could rock the charts from his bed.

No one is debating that Brian didn't make the band a stronger unit, but the strength of tracks like Trader, Cuddle Up, Feel Flows, etc. teamed with their live act, there's considerable proof there that the Beach Boys in the early 70s were a mighty formidable unit even without Brian. This mentality that the only good the band ever did starts and ends with Brian is deeply hagiographic and just plain wrong.

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
Wild-Honey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2012, 05:38:09 AM »

I love this video.  Carl was at his best here in my opinion.  It seems they could never quite transcend their earlier hits though and the people kept pulling them back. 
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2012, 11:12:45 AM »

Did they ever play this song completely live, either in concert or TV appearances? Carl's (and Brian's behind him?) vocals are killer on the track!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2012, 11:15:46 AM »

Did they ever play this song completely live, either in concert or TV appearances? Carl's (and Brian's behind him?) vocals are killer on the track!

It was part of the concert setlists at that time

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2012, 12:22:04 PM »

It was part of the concert setlists at that time

Oh. It should've been on In Concert then!
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2012, 01:15:59 PM »

Indeed, it was part of the original track listing for the rejected single LP version of In Concert.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2012, 02:06:23 PM »

Indeed, it was part of the original track listing for the rejected single LP version of In Concert.

Yes, it sounds quite nice

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2012, 02:14:56 PM »

Yes, it sounds quite nice

Tease!

phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2012, 12:27:16 AM »

I'm a huge fan of CATP myself, I just wish Brian would've been a little more visible in the early 70s. Personally I think he remained their most important composer even at times when he contributed very little.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx