gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:33:15 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hallmark album  (Read 23797 times)
Smilin Ed H
« on: December 30, 2005, 04:12:27 PM »

Anyone got any news on the proposed new live CD plus studio tracks from Brian, Mike and Al?  It's mentioned under Other News on the ESQ site, but there's no more info than that.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2006, 07:20:44 AM by Charles LePage » Logged
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2005, 11:27:28 AM »

Sounds interesting, but I have another idea.

Release the live stuff on a SINGLE CD and somehow get it to sound like a cohesive concert. Give it a budget price and back it with some TV advertising. Target the WalMarts, KMarts, and Best Buys. I would hope it would be/do better than "Live At Knebworth". How about "The Boys Are Back In Town" or "Sounds Of Summer - Live"...

Now, for the second release. Take the best track that Mike has to offer. Do the same with Al. Next, invite Bruce to contribute a track, and then, call up their old friend, David Marks (who has been recording over the years) to add the best song he has in his bag. Now, add 6-7 songs that Brian has been working on for his rock & roll album. Yes, let Mike contribute some lyrics which he will undoubtedly insist on. And yes, Brian, you can re-record "Surfer Girl" and "No Go Showboat" (I know that high falsetto has been bothering you for 43 years). Brian can even throw in "The Spirit Of Rock & Roll" (we have to tap all of the resources). And there you have it. A NEW Beach Boys album. Take the 5 "Beach Boys" into the studio. Call Darian & Jeff to assist with the recording, and call a couple of old friends to help tour it. The official Beach Boys' 45th Anniversay celebration!

What do you think, Melinda? Is it feasible? You know, Brian needs a new pair of shoes and in a few years, Daria and Delaney will need braces. Don'tcha think this project would make more money than " Brian Wilson Presents Rock & Roll".

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2006, 06:59:22 AM »

So where's the info come from that suggests this will be a show from the 80s, plus the three studio tracks?
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2006, 08:44:52 AM »

Very intriguing....
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2006, 01:39:40 PM »

Anyone got any news on the proposed new live CD plus studio tracks from Brian, Mike and Al?  It's mentioned under Other News on the ESQ site, but there's no more info than that.
It will happen.  ~swd
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2006, 02:05:34 PM »

Is it Brian, Mike and Al live on stage/studio together, unreleased "The Beach Boys" concert footage? Still a bit puzzled by all this.

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2006, 04:09:27 PM »

As far as I can tell, the Brian, Mike and Al tracks are individual efforts (well, presumably with backing musicians...).  I haven't read anything - except on this board - to indicate what period the live stuff is from, or if, indeed, it is only from one period.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2006, 01:05:19 AM »

Have a read on another board that the CD was to be of the 'Box Set' tour in the early 90s complete with unplugged section.
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2006, 04:51:05 AM »

As far as I can tell, the Brian, Mike and Al tracks are individual efforts (well, presumably with backing musicians...).

C'mon, Brian.  Let 'em use "You're Still A Mystery". 
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2006, 07:35:13 AM »

As far as I can tell, the Brian, Mike and Al tracks are individual efforts (well, presumably with backing musicians...).

C'mon, Brian.  Let 'em use "You're Still A Mystery". 

Agree !

Have a read on another board that the CD was to be of the 'Box Set' tour in the early 90s complete with unplugged section.

Since Brian wasn't on that tour, do they need his new recording just to sell it as "The Beach Boys" ?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2006, 08:54:41 AM »

I know Brian changes his mind 10 times the hour, but last interview he said he'd never play with ANY of the Beach Boys ever again...don't know why he was so stern about it...I think it'd be nice to see the guys together one more time. (Using Brian's backup band though)

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2006, 09:16:17 AM »

Hmm. it's supposed to be released in March, but no pre-sales online yet? Weird. But if Capitol had announced it just to cancell it in a few weeks, we'd all be pissed. I guess they learned their lesson withe the BB.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2006, 09:28:51 AM »

Hmm. it's supposed to be released in March, but no pre-sales online yet? Weird. But if Capitol had announced it just to cancell it in a few weeks, we'd all be pissed. I guess they learned their lesson withe the BB.

That's just it -- to the best of my knowledge, Capitol has said nothing about it.  That tells me that this is probably just a rumor. Mark Linett would almost certainly engineer such a product and he has said nothing.  Neither has Alan Boyd.  It would be nice, but until someone can post an actual press release or some official word, I don't think it is coming.
king of anglia
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2006, 09:47:20 AM »

A live CD of an early 90s tour plus individual tracks by Brian, Mike and Al sounds pretty darn lame.
They're doing it to take the p!ss I'm sure. That's the only explanation. There's a wealth of super stuff out there - 70s live stuff, Dennis's stuff,  erm SMILE - and they choose to release a live CD of 1990s era BBs? It's a joke. Utter bastards.

This is all based on the rumours. If I'm wrong then I'm sorry. Ever so sorry.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2006, 10:58:48 AM »

Well, the "unplugged"-concerts were very good and are much requested by fans, so it makes sense. And I think "it will happen" (to quote Stephen Desper)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2006, 07:08:14 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2006, 11:55:14 AM »

I would love to see an official release of the Paramount Theater show from 93. It was a great one.

Not sure about this "studio track" thing though.

California Poweroutage Blues/Water Builds Up/100,000 Years/Moneymoneymoneymoney.....Mooooooney/
Dan Lega
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2006, 02:22:27 PM »

A live CD of an early 90s tour plus individual tracks by Brian, Mike and Al sounds pretty darn lame.
They're doing it to take the p!ss I'm sure. That's the only explanation. There's a wealth of super stuff out there - 70s live stuff, Dennis's stuff,  erm SMILE - and they choose to release a live CD of 1990s era BBs? It's a joke. Utter bastards.

This is all based on the rumours. If I'm wrong then I'm sorry. Ever so sorry.

At Susan's first convention we were privy to listen to one or two tracks played from the '93 tour, and, man, they totally blew me away!  If they are putting that stuff out, then I, for one, will be ecstatic!

Love and merci,   Dan Lega
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2006, 09:23:55 PM »

If Mark and Alan are involved, and Capitol hasn't said anything, well...maybe Mark and Alan can't really say anything, either.  And if Capitol has learned their lesson, i suspect that Mark and Alan have learned it times ten.  I don't know anything...i'm just commenting on comments here.  Perhaps in the blacklight that seems to be the reality of BBland these days, no news actually IS good news...

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2006, 12:54:43 AM »

One of the neat things about that late '93 string of shows to promote the GV boxed set was that they didn't cut songs out of the show in order to insert the "rarities" section of songs. They simply added about 15 or so extra songs to the setlist, making it just a really long show with something like 43-44 songs.

Hopefully, if this is the show/tour that is going to be presented on this upcoming release, they will include the FULL show, or at the very least, include the full "rarities" section of the show. I'd hate to see it be only a 1-CD release full of "California Girls" and "Surfin' Safari", etc., with only a few rare ones thrown in.

As for the solo tracks idea, it certainly isn't a full-fledged reunion like some fans want, nor it is a full solo album from each of them like a lot of fans want. But, if this is the only way we can get some material out of these guys (especially Al when it comes to studio recordings), then perhaps this format of release isn't that bad of an idea.

Since many of us have been clamoring for release of the huge amount of live recordings in the vaults, I for one wouldn't mind a format of seeing a couple of "live from the archives" type CD's released each year, with each BB throwing on a new solo studio recording (or adding some archival BB studio recordings) as bonuses each time.

I for one will be happy if we get a release of any new BB material in 2006; I was convinced we would likely simply get a "Pet Sounds 40th Anniversary" rerererereissue, with an alternate take of the train sounds or dog barking added on as the "new bonus material."

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2006, 09:45:33 AM »

anyone have an example of the setlists of the acoustic tours?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2006, 12:44:37 PM »

anyone have an example of the setlists of the acoustic tours?

Here's the setlist for Atlanta, which is the show that Bruce Johnston would like to see be released

Center Stage Theater, Atlanta, GA
November 1993

A slightly shorter concert than the one at the Paramount Theater during the same month. But a nice long setlist nevertheless!

Beach Boys present:
Mike Love
Bruce Johnston
Carl Wilson
Al Jardine

Backup band included:
Matthew Jardine

SETLIST

1. California Girls
2. I Can Hear Music
3. Come Go With Me
4. Rock and Roll Music
5. Do It Again
6. Catch A Wave
7. Hawaii
8. In My Room
9. Under The Boardwalk
10. Little Deuce Coupe
11. 409
12. Shut Down
13. I Get Around
14. Darlin'
15. Be True To Your School
16. Heroes and Villians
17. Vegetables
18. Take A Load off Your Feet
19. Surfer Girl
20. Hushabye
21. Add Some Music To Your Day
22. Disney Girls
23. Their Hearts Were Full of Spring
24. Wonderful
25. All This Is That
26. Caroline No
27. You Still Believe In Me
28. God Only Knows
29. Sloop John B
30. Wouldnt It Be Nice
31. California Dreamin
32. Summer In Paradise
33. Good Vibrations
34. Kokomo
35. Help Me Rhonda
36. Surfin Safari
37. Surf City
38. Surfin USA

Encore:
39. Barbara Ann
40. Fun Fun Fun

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2006, 12:45:44 PM »

and the setlist from Paramount Theater which has been floating around the collectors circle for some time... ask around  Smiley

Paramount Theater, NY
November 26, 1993

Unbelievable!! The Beach Boys decided to add THIRTEEN songs to their normal 29-song setlist, without dropping any of the standard oldies, in an effort to promote the just-released "Good Vibrations" boxed set. This "unplugged" set was featured only on a few east coast dates (unfortunately). Quite a noble effort and proof that the Beach Boys still wanted to acknowledge the fact that they did make great music between "Good Vibrations" and "Rock and Roll Music." Wish I could've seen this one...

Drummer Liberty Devito substituted for Mike Kowalski for at least part of the show, if not all of it. Paul Shaffer came appeared on stage but did not perform.

Beach Boys present:
Mike Love
Bruce Johnston
Carl Wilson
Al Jardine

Backup band included:
Matthew Jardine
Liberty Devito (drums)

SETLIST

1. California Girls
2. I Can Hear Music
3. Come Go With Me
4. Rock And Roll Music
5. Do You Wanna Dance
6. In My Room
7. Do It Again
8. Catch A Wave
9. Hawaii
10. Darlin
11. Be True To Your School
12. Under The Boardwalk
13. Little Duece Coupe
14. 409
15. Shut Down
16. I Get Around
17. California Dreaming
18. Summer In Paradise
19. Heroes And Villains
20. Vegetables (Smile Version)
21. Take A Load Off Your Feet
22. Little Saint Nick
23. Surfer Girl
24. Hushabye
25. Add Some Music
26. Their Hearts Were Full Of Spring
27. All This Is That
28. Wonderful
29. Disney Girls
30. Caroline No
31. You Still Believe In Me
32. God Only Knows
33. Sloop John B
34. Wouldn't It Be Nice
35. Good Vibrations
36. Kokomo
37. Help Me Rhonda
38. Barbara Ann
39. Fun, Fun, Fun

Encore:
40. Wipeout
41. Surfin Safari
42. Surf City
43. Surfin U.S.A.

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2006, 02:51:19 PM »

Okay...I'll buy it!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2006, 02:54:32 PM »

Not as great as it looks, unfortunately.
But it's better than Knebworth.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2006, 03:07:31 PM »

They did Vegetables live? wow, didn't see that one coming. I would have loved to of heard this

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx