gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680852 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 11:35:48 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hallmark album  (Read 23920 times)
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 01, 2006, 06:36:58 AM »

"Blessed" is not a word I'd use in conjunction with GIOMH. "Inflicted" might be closer to the mark.

Somehow I knew he wouldn't be able to resist that opening....
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 01, 2006, 08:03:16 AM »

For general public consumption, I'd like to see something along the lines of;

Thirty Years on the Road--The Beach Boys  Live on Tour--1964 to 1994.  This could be bottled up on one CD like Sounds of Summer.  This would take the average consumer through the years from the "Lost Concert" period right through Kokomo and beyond.
Include unreleased and previously released live material from the middle years.
A thirty song disc should do it for this release.

And as archival material is mined to put together this money maker, the powers that be could put aside the dozens of  choice rare and unreleased live recordings for periodic release as a sort of "Dicks Picks" series of BeachBoys live performances complete withliner notes discussing the state of the band at the time of each recording.
Talk about Fun Fun Fun!

This is what I want.  This is what I'll buy.

And I think it would  sell.   Look at Concert and In Concert----sold quite well!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: February 01, 2006, 08:51:59 AM »

the powers that be could put aside the dozens of  choice rare and unreleased live recordings for periodic release as a sort of "Dicks Picks" series of BeachBoys live performances

They'd never be able to promote it - you can't say 'Dick' on the Blue Board.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 01, 2006, 09:26:39 AM »

Maybe it would have been better to have saved "Soul Searching" for this Hallmark release; add an unreleased Dennis track and all five original members could have been represented.
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 01, 2006, 09:27:43 AM »

Or, hmm, I dunno, what else could they have done,  can't think...

HOW ABOUT YOU'RE STILL A MYSTERY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It would only have all four of them on it, and it would blow away the other three songs!

AUGH!
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 01, 2006, 12:22:03 PM »

the powers that be could put aside the dozens of  choice rare and unreleased live recordings for periodic release as a sort of "Dicks Picks" series of BeachBoys live performances

They'd never be able to promote it - you can't say 'Dick' on the Blue Board.  Grin

OK.  We can sell it on the Grateful Dead site.  Probably a lot more hits on that site anyway Wink
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 02, 2006, 08:44:59 PM »

thinkin about the 1974 tracks and who's playing....would Ricky Fataar be playing in it? I'm pretty comfident in saying he did, but probably not Blondie. This wouldnt be the Beachago tour, would it? I'm pretty sure that took place in 1975...oooo, i'd love to get my hands on those tapes, what a treat! it is cool that we get our hands on 1974 material though...not really material but I'm pretty sure the only chance we heard the BB in 74 was Child of Winter, right?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 02, 2006, 08:55:13 PM »

It's probably stuff from the widely-disseminated We Got Love bootleg from 74, Endless Summer tour.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 03, 2006, 04:41:05 AM »

Ricky started phasing out in the fall of 74 and was out by December.  So it depends upon when in the year the recordings were made.  If it is the summer tour, Ricky would definitely be there.

Blondie, of course, left in 1973.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: February 03, 2006, 05:47:04 AM »

It's probably stuff from the widely-disseminated We Got Love bootleg from 74, Endless Summer tour.

I would imagine that the stuff on the Hallmark CD could possibly be from the same show that's been booted, but I doubt they would just pull the tracks off of the boot. I'm sure all of these live tracks are shows that were available on multitrack in the Brother vaults, and therefore have been mixed for this new release. So, the sound quality at least should hopefully be quite good on these tracks.

The circa 1989 BB's weren't always on their A-game when it came to doing the old hits (usually not that bad, just sort of rote, bland performances), so I'm not as hopeful about the quality of the performances on this CD. Then again, the BB's all presumably signed off on the release, so it must sound pretty decent in terms of performance quality.

As for the '74 recordings, I would guess Ricky Fataar is on them, seeing as how he was with the band for the majority of that year. I think Bobby Figueroa was in the band by that time as well.

It also just struck me that we probably shouldn't count on a great amount of detailed recording information in the CD booklet, if it's supposed to be a bit of a cheapie, impulse-buy type of release. I imagine it would be simple to include the musician credits and recording dates even on the back cover or even a one-sheet cover insert, though.

Maybe we should start guessing what the title of this CD will be. Here are some guesses:

Sounds of Father's Day
Endless Father's Day
Spirit of Father's Day
Unleash the Father's Day
Father's Day in Paradise
Looking Back at Father's Day
First Father's Day
Country Father's Day
MIU Father's Day
Salute to Father's Day
Summertime Father's Day
Group Therapy - Father's Day Edition
10 Big Ones (or 7 Live Ones, 3 Solo Ones, and 2 Filler Ones)

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: February 03, 2006, 05:48:37 AM »

one can only hope that Brian's back up band will provide vocals to "The Spirit of Rock 'N Roll"

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: February 03, 2006, 05:54:21 AM »

Maybe we should start guessing what the title of this CD will be. Here are some guesses:

Sounds of Father's Day
Endless Father's Day
Spirit of Father's Day
Unleash the Father's Day
Father's Day in Paradise
Looking Back at Father's Day
First Father's Day
Country Father's Day
MIU Father's Day
Salute to Father's Day
Summertime Father's Day
Group Therapy - Father's Day Edition
10 Big Ones (or 7 Live Ones, 3 Solo Ones, and 2 Filler Ones)

What about :

Father's day ( and mother's night !!!)

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 03, 2006, 07:02:55 AM »

Lifted from DJ M's excellent www.uncanny1.blogspot.com

Mike Love: I’m hoping that it [Love's new album] comes out in the spring. I know there’s one song that was slated for that album that’s going to come out by Father’s Day. Hallmark is going to do an issue of a bunch of Beach Boys’ songs plus one from me called Cool Head and Warm Heart, which is an expression that Maharishi made about 10 years ago. I was at a TM gathering in Vlodrop, Holland, and I remember him saying, “You need a cool head and a warm heart,” and I said, “Wow, that’s cool,” so I made up a little song that says “You need a cool head and a warm heart to get you through the day without coming apart. You need a cool head and a warm heart and that’s how every day should start.” So there’s another situation there. My new CD has a lot of philosophy on there, meaning philosophical point of view, not overbearingly I hope, but just little hints. Maybe it’s “don’t get stressed out, especially when there are things you can do nothing about. The nature of life is to be always changing and what you need when things start to rearrangin’ is a cool head and warm heart.” That is going to come out on that CD that Hallmark is coming out with. They’re planning a huge campaign and they’re going to have it out in the stores apparently for Father’s Day, so I’m hoping that concurrent with that, I can get my CD out as well.

“We live in divisive times.”
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: February 03, 2006, 11:49:01 AM »

"a bunch of Beach Boys’ songs plus one from me"

Hahaha, I love how he neglected to mention Brian and Al's solo songs.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Bud Shaver
Smiley Smile Associate

Let Us Go On This Way

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 03, 2006, 04:14:09 PM »

Releasing a CD via hallmark may seem a little silly to some but I remember reading somewhere that Michael McDonald sold 2 million copies of his Christmas record through Hallmark.   It seems to by a viable alternative to the traditional route of releasing music. 

Most likely the CD will cost you $7.99 when you buy three hallmark cards. 

Talk about a racket!
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 03, 2006, 04:28:10 PM »

My wife is big into the Hallmark thing.  I KNOW that the BB are going to make a killing on this.
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 03, 2006, 06:37:29 PM »

I'm a real cool head.

Watch out for snakes!
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: February 04, 2006, 12:54:49 AM »

Ew, I just got my hands on a recording of Spirit of Rock and Roll... I hope Brian & co. can do a much better version.. because quite frankly, I do not enjoy this song one bit. Especially the lyrics, how lame.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 04, 2006, 12:55:45 AM »

Great song, killer Dylan appearance.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: February 04, 2006, 01:03:51 AM »

Releasing a CD via hallmark may seem a little silly to some but I remember reading somewhere that Michael McDonald sold 2 million copies of his Christmas record through Hallmark.   It seems to by a viable alternative to the traditional route of releasing music. 

Most likely the CD will cost you $7.99 when you buy three hallmark cards. 

Talk about a racket!

A racket, allright. Hallmark cards usually cost like $3-$5. I suppose it's all good for people who are already in there to purchase stuff. I would imagine it will cost less to just buy the CD, if they offer that option. I have largely given up buying greeting cards of any sort. I make them myself, and people usually like them much more (or they're just saying they like them, in which case, oh well!)

I have a few relatives that go nuts buying the Hallmark X-mas ornaments each season. They literally buy every ornament released. I'm not into it, but it has meant I've been able to get all of the Beatles and Beach Boys-related Hallmark ornaments (including several different Yellow Submarine ornaments, and a little car that plays "Little Saint Nick").

I would imagine this CD could sell fairly well. I don't think the CD will be as appealing to aging baby boomers or whatever demographic of people who buy Michael McDonald Motown covers, but then again, I'll bet one of the best selling BB CD's each year are those cheapie versions of the X-Mas album sold at drug stores and every other store. It usually is missing several songs from the full album, and usually sells for like $4.99.

This sort of store-exclusive release format is not new to the BB's, or at least Mike Love, right? I've read some people mention that that "Rock and Roll City" thing released at Radio Shack stores around 1983 sold some insane amount of copies, as in several hundred thousand. I haven't any clue if that is accurate or not.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: February 04, 2006, 06:02:19 PM »

You like the Dylan appearance?  I remember one reviewer who actually thought it was Landy, that's how awful it is!

Smiley
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 04, 2006, 06:03:27 PM »

No, it's not awful. It's great.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 04, 2006, 06:18:11 PM »

You like the Dylan appearance?  I remember one reviewer who actually thought it was Landy, that's how awful it is!

Smiley

I'm with c-man on this one. I almost burst out laughing when I hear Dylan singing on this song. And I love Dylan.

To me, this was an attempt by Landy/someone to surround Brian with as many "names" as possible to get attention. Much like like GIOMH sixteen years later...
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: February 05, 2006, 05:44:52 PM »

He's alright singing it, but it's just not a song Bob Dylan should be singing, you know? His voice, his.. aura, doesn't fit the feeling of the song, and to have him try to fit the feeling of the song and pretty much accomplish it just sounds wrong, because of what his voice is usually associated with.

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 05, 2006, 08:33:27 PM »

Breaking out of the mold is what Brian and Dylan are all about. It's not "right" for the BB's to have done SMiLE/SMiLEY, because of what they are usually associated with, as well.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx