gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:17:47 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hallmark album  (Read 23794 times)
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2006, 04:35:08 AM »

Look at it this way -- two unreleased live tracks from 1974?  That's not so bad.  It could have all been from the 90's.  I know I will get it.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2006, 05:17:18 AM »

Well, I'm buying it.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2006, 05:36:11 AM »

thank God he didn't go back and re-record "Smart Girls"!  :D

this sounds interesting, I'll buy it for sure

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2006, 06:09:25 AM »

It wasn't worth all these fuzz we made around it.  I can't believe that they really release it like this, I'm dissapointed. really, but I'm excited for Brian's "new" track

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2006, 08:07:43 AM »

do we know what they're doing for the Pet Sounds Anniversary yet?

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
Swamp Pirate
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2006, 08:56:17 AM »

It is absolutely worth it just for The Spirit of Rock and Roll alone.
GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2006, 11:18:47 AM »

Hmm...

There were rumors that this would include some 93 "low voltage" tracks, now they include stuff from 74 and 89...

Perhaps our wishes are being heard and they'll start releasing more live shows, and this is just a "teaser"?

Regardless I'll buy it for the unbooted 74 tracks and the new "Spirit"   Smiley

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2006, 12:13:51 PM »

ah sweet, is bob dylan guest vocaling for spirit? lol

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2006, 12:47:04 PM »

I'm disappointed but not surprised.   On the glass half full side, this means we still have something GOOD to look forward to. Angry Embarrassed Huh Huh Roll Eyes
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2006, 02:26:14 PM »

Nothing from Bruce?!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jason
« Reply #60 on: January 30, 2006, 02:36:04 PM »

Well, I'm not overly optimistic, since I probably have most of this live material, but hey, anything new is appreciated. Shame it wasn't all 70s tracks.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: January 30, 2006, 03:41:55 PM »

I'm glad Al's PT Cruiser is on the CD; I have a PT Cruiser and I wanted to buy the single but I couldn't find it anywhere online.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 30, 2006, 03:50:08 PM »

It is absolutely worth it just for The Spirit of Rock and Roll alone.

Unless Brian does to this what he did to "California Feelin'.  I thought Brian might save "The Spirit Of Rock And Roll" for his upcoming rock & roll album. Of course, he could still include it. Or re-record it... 
PMcC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2006, 03:56:22 PM »

I'll look around for this cd. It is the closest thing we've had so far to a BB reunion...

"Anytime I want to hear the Beach Boys, I put on a Brian Wilson CD"-Paul McClelland
Swamp Pirate
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 30, 2006, 06:14:37 PM »

I hear you but I'm thinking I'd be more worried if it'd been pre-Smile. Hopefully he'll record with the band doing the backgrounds and it'll sound great.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 30, 2006, 06:28:34 PM »

Yeah, Swamp Pirate, hopefully you're right. I guess I have a bad attitude about this release; I know I'm supposed to be grateful for any crumbs... The way the three "solo" tracks are just tacked on bothers me the most. It kind of accentuates the split in the group. It reminds me of their infamous corporate meetings where each Beach Boy is accompanied by their attorney, or when they used to enter the concert stage from different directions. Is it so hard to just get together and work on a few songs? I'm being naive again...
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 30, 2006, 09:29:22 PM »

I'm almost positive that somebody mentioned before that Brian recorded "The Spirit of Rock & Roll" @ the same time he recorded "Walking Down The Path of Life" last fall... which would be cool because he and the band sound wonderful on that track. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: January 30, 2006, 11:52:48 PM »

Good lord, I thought I was really exagerrating when I said I was expecting that they would include "PT Cruiser." As novelty songs go, it's not bad. And I'm glad that people who didn't have a chance to get that CD single will be able to get it now (although I thought the CD single was still being sold at the aljardine.com website). But c'mon! The CD single had FIVE versions of the song already! Al has to have something in the vaults more interesting. Even the ESQ-exclusive recording of "California Saga" would have been more appropriate. As it stands, despite the fact that Al has the best voice of the remaining BB's, and despite the fact that he has some interesting stuff in the can, Al's track will, in my estimation, be the weakest of the three "new solo tracks." Something from his various studio recordings from the 90's would have been nice. If nothing else, it would have been nice to see some Al-related archival BB track from the 70's, or something.

As far as I'm concerned, "Cool Head" is by far the best song on the unreleased Mike Love solo album. It may well be the best track I've ever heard that was billed as a "Mike Love" solo track, and, assuming he wrote it, probably the best thing he's written and recorded since the unreleased 4/4 version of "Big Sur." That's not to say the song is a masterpiece, but I would have to say it's stronger than "PT Cruiser."

"The Spirit of Rock and Roll" is a song that I have always believed is a good composition (musically, perhaps not as much lyrically) that needed to be liberated from the 80's production values of every version we've heard, so that might turn out to be an enjoyable "new" Brian track.

As for the decision to use live tracks from '89, I would guess it's a diplomatic decision to use mostly live tracks that include Brian. Brian participated in elements of some live shows in 1989 during their tour with Chicago (Brian was not on stage during the entire shows, but would come on and play with the BB's for a few numbers, then the BB's would leave and Brian would do a solo mini-set of three or so songs from his BW'88 solo album). I think those '89 shows might have been the last time Brian ever appeared with the BB's on tour in any sort of continual fashion, as opposed to one-off appearances he continued to make from 1990 to 1996 or 97 (i.e. the Cape Cod 4th of July show in 1990, a Las Vegas show around 1995, the "Fan Fair" debacle of 1996, etc.)

All in all, this is certainly more interesting than another hits package. I think I'm most disappointed in the selection of the Al track on the CD. I'm not even so much disappointed that the song isn't "previously unreleased", nor am I disappointed so much  that the track selection is something a bit lightweight like "PT Cruiser." I just think Al's track will pale in comparison to the other two solo tracks, and it's not as if the other two are any sort of great masterpieces. It may well be that Al was encouraged to include this track as some sort of tired "car" theme to go along with Father's Day, but that doesn't explain that the other solo tracks have no such connection. The fact that Al didn't come up with even one new track doesn't bode well for hopes of a full-length studio solo album.

Hopefully, the rumblings of a possible release of other live material (i.e. the '93 "boxed set" tour) also has some truth in it, and perhaps other releases will come as well, presumably directly from Brother/Capitol as opposed to the Hallmark-exclusive audience. Anybody know who compiled/mixed/engineered this release?

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
SurferGirl7
« Reply #68 on: January 31, 2006, 01:02:23 PM »

I am sort of disapointed in the selection. It's amazing how brainless they think some of us fans are with this stuff  Roll Eyes
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 31, 2006, 01:33:27 PM »

I guess I understand the marketing.  You have to be creative to sell CDs these days.  Catch people buying expensive coffee or looking for a quick gift idea to go with that expensive greeting card.  And it would have to be sort of generic Beachboys to sell in the Hallmark shop wouldn't it?  I mean, how many casual gift shoppers would even recognize the names of some of the late 60's and early seventies songs?  And how many of the recipients would appreciate getting a selection of unheard of BeachBoys songs?

That "Live Box set" tour CD will have to wait for a more general release at the usual  retail outlets.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: January 31, 2006, 06:04:19 PM »

I understand the marketing involved. That is, I know that a BB CD targeted towards Hallmark customers will have to have recognizable tracks. However, I think, in terms of the live tracks, they (meaning whoever selected the tracks) could have been a bit more adventurous with the tracklisting even within the confines of selecting well-known songs. Where is an Al lead on the live tracks? (Actually, I suppose Al might have the lead vocal on the '74 version of WIBN). Why couldn't they give us something other than "Little Deuce Coupe"? I suspect this CD was mired in all sorts of politics and compromises. The Hallmark people putting the CD out probably threw their two cents in what should be on the CD (perhaps something along the lines of "put some hits on the CD", and/or "some car songs for Father's Day would be nice"), and the other BB's probably dictated to some degree what should be on the CD. Perhaps Brian's camp asked that most of the live tracks include Brian. Perhaps another camp suggested the inclusion of  "Kokomo" on the CD. So, in one sense, I'm amazed that this CD made it out at all given the current legal wrangling going on. Of course, the CD has probably been in the works for some time.

And certainly, in terms of including well-known songs to lure customers into picking this CD up as some sort of impluse buy, the "solo" tracks aren't known at all. The Brian track is only known to hardcore BB fans. The Mike track has never been released or aired publicly at all. I think Al (or whoever chose the Al solo track) could have picked something more substantial, given that any "new solo" track would not be known to most CD buyers anyway.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 31, 2006, 09:13:38 PM »

I've been listening to the Pet Sounds box set all day for the first time in a while... and was thinking about how the tracks progressed and the decisions made during the recording, i.e. changing the lyrics of "Hang on to your ego" and "In my Childhood" becoming "You still believe in me" and the early work on Good Vibrations, the carefully created vocal layers in "Wouldn't it be Nice" and "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times", etc. etc. etc. all that great, magical creativity that went into that album....

Then contrast it with the politicking the above poster sees in the new album (I agree), it's horrible what the spirit behind the creation of a Beach Boys album has turned into.  Back then you had everything fresh, exciting, pretty much divinely inspired talent for the sake of beauty, now the albums are the product of stupid pride, Hang on to your ego indeed!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: February 01, 2006, 12:53:57 AM »

I've long given up any assumption or any great amount of hope that any BB reunion at all will happen, let alone something that approaches "Pet Sounds" in any way, either in terms of musical quality or portraying a positive picture of the group for the fans.

For that matter, I'm not even upset with the "solo tracks compilation" idea. I've noticed some fans are put off that the BB's couldn't reunite to record and instead are now down to compiling each other's solo tracks and tacking them onto the end of live compiltions. I suppose a true "reunion" would be preferable, assuming it was for a real album of new material as opposed to a "Stars and Stripes" type project. But in the alternative, I actually think the idea of compiling their solo tracks together is a rather novel and enterprising way of at least giving the fans some new material, and in a conveniently compiled form at that. If they continued to include interesting material and/or material we haven't already heard before, I would support a continued program of a "Live from the Archives" sort of series of live recordings, each with new solo BB tracks and/or perhaps Brother-era BB rarities and outtakes showcasing each of the BB's.

So I think this Hallmark CD is somewhat of a postive concept, but even in the context of a CD targeted at impulse buyers as they buy Father's Day cards and trinkets (and I'm aware that this format of release is probably not a format Brother will continue on with on their own releases, but who knows?), I think this CD concept would work better with any or all of the following:

-More total tracks
-More interesting live tracks from interesting periods in their live career
-Rare or no inclusion of previously released tracks, especially if the track in question was released only 2-3 years ago

I know this sort of release usually isn't packed with a huge amount of total tracks, but of course we don't know what the CD will cost. If it costs under $10 or so, then the amount of tracks isn't bad. If they charge $15-$20, then that would be pushing it for a 10-track CD, only 9 tracks of which are somewhat "new."

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 01, 2006, 05:40:53 AM »

I think my only real 'problem' with it isn't really that rational.  I'm just kind of pissed that this is 'all'.  You know? It's been years since we got anything new, then it's just this.  Ultimately, though, we're talking about a band that stopped recording new music years ago so I don't know what I expect... but still we all know they have tons and tons of things unreleased. 

In the meanwhile, though, Brian Wilson has blessed us with several albums, which is kind of friekin' crazy if you think about it.  SMiLE 04' live on bootlegs, then Gettin' In Over My Head, then SMiLE 04 studio version, then the SMiLE 04 DVD, then the Christmas Album, then "Walking down the path of life".  That's a lot of music in two years. 
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: February 01, 2006, 06:15:33 AM »

"Blessed" is not a word I'd use in conjunction with GIOMH. "Inflicted" might be closer to the mark.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx