gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 03:23:43 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hallmark album  (Read 23802 times)
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2006, 03:14:36 PM »

Yep, it's really good.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Old Rake
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2006, 05:15:56 PM »

Not as great as it looks, unfortunately.
But it's better than Knebworth.

I *really* liked the Box Set tour stuff I've heard. And Knebworth is the freakin' BEST. Dennis is a MONSTER -- he's worth the price of admission. His drumming is rock-solid and heavy.
jawilsh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2006, 05:57:44 PM »

and the setlist from Paramount Theater which has been floating around the collectors circle for some time... ask around  Smiley

OK I am asking ..... can anybody help me with this?  Thanks.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2006, 06:07:43 PM »

PM is the way we do it here, not on the board, due to legal difficulties.

RobtheNobleSurfer
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2006, 06:25:22 PM »

I find the "hits" sets on Paramount practically unlistenable as music. It sounds rote, tired. Even Carl seems to have a hard time mustering some enthusiasm. It only really comes alive when they strap on the acousitc guitars and play the rare stuff.  But once they start with that portion and actually have to work, they show what made them a great live band and a great live vocal group. The mini-Pet Sounds set is the absolute highlight for me. I'd be estatic with a legit release of just the unplugged set, not another release of another half-assed performnace of Cal Girls or Little Deuce Coupe or even *vomit* Barbara Ann!
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2006, 06:26:42 PM »

Exactly my thoughts.

RobtheNobleSurfer
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2006, 06:32:19 PM »

Right.

And Knebworth is better as a DVD because watching Dennis is more enjoyable than hearing a tired set from a declining live act. I never understood why Knebworth was released.  Huh
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2006, 09:07:14 PM »

Don't know where anyone got the idea about the '93 unplugged tracks being on the CD - all I've seen is the ESQ announcement.

"A new collection of live performances, accompanied by solo studio tracks from Brian, Al and Mike, respectively is slated for the Spring."

Collection of live tracks - not a concert.

solo studio tracks from Brian, Al and Mike.

Spring - no mention of March.

Chineese whispers - don'tcha love 'em ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2006, 09:16:22 PM »

PM is the way we do it here, not on the board, due to legal difficulties.

Except some of us don't respond quickly or not at all to them *sheesh* Kidding, Ian. =p

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2006, 01:53:23 PM »

One more thought: since it's a collection (!) of live-recordings, like AGD pointed out, does that mean maybe that they recorded songs by all the three Beach Boy-groups and put them together?  I'm almost certain that this is not the case, but I think it would be possible. The Beach Boys have so many great concerts in the vaults, why not take one of it and release it, but do a collection?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Margarita
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2006, 04:32:54 PM »

A poster on a board in another fandom sent me the following PM:

This was announced in our Hallmark newsletter today.  I thought you may be interested.

Beach Boys to make splash with CD

Hallmark and the Beach Boys have reached an agreement for an exclusive music CD to be sold in Hallmark Gold Crown stores May 15 - July 23. 

The CD will feature 10 songs, most of which are previously unreleased live tracks including an exclusive new Brian Wilson track, Mike Love track and Al Jardine song.

"This CD should be big news for Beach Boys fans," says Ann Herrick, integrated marketing manager.  "It makes a great gift, and it fits perfectly with our Father's Day and summer products."

Anyone know anything else about this? 

But she's still dancing in the night unafraid of what a dude'll do in a town full of Heroes and Villains...
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2006, 04:37:27 PM »

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php?topic=162.0

Margarita
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2006, 04:46:11 PM »

Ian directed me over here (thanks!), since I didn't know that this release was already being discussed.  So here's what I already posted elsewhere:

This was announced in our Hallmark newsletter today.  I thought you may be interested.

Beach Boys to make splash with CD

Hallmark and the Beach Boys have reached an agreement for an exclusive music CD to be sold in Hallmark Gold Crown stores May 15 - July 23. 

The CD will feature 10 songs, most of which are previously unreleased live tracks including an exclusive new Brian Wilson track, Mike Love track and Al Jardine song.

"This CD should be big news for Beach Boys fans," says Ann Herrick, integrated marketing manager.  "It makes a great gift, and it fits perfectly with our Father's Day and summer products."

What y'all have already discussed doesn't mention Hallmark, and sounds like much more than what you usually find in a Hallmark store. 
So...is the live CD you're discussing going to be a release, with Hallmark taking some of the same material and putting out their own CD?  Like if there's some kind of multi-CD release, Hallmark will provide a single-CD sampler?

But she's still dancing in the night unafraid of what a dude'll do in a town full of Heroes and Villains...
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2006, 05:32:12 PM »

That's what I'm thinkin'. No one seems to know yet.
Dylan gets a Starbucks release, BB's get a Hallmark. Says it all, don't it. Equally repulsive, equally something I'll have to buy. *twitches and checks spyhole*

Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2006, 05:40:15 PM »

Actually, Starbucks did a pretty good BB comp a few years back, heavy on late 60's stuff as I recall.

Well, my wife is a Hallmark fanatic.  Maybe I will get her to get it for me...
RobtheNobleSurfer
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2006, 06:36:18 PM »

That's what I'm thinkin'. No one seems to know yet.
Dylan gets a Starbucks release, BB's get a Hallmark. Says it all, don't it. Equally repulsive, equally something I'll have to buy. *twitches and checks spyhole*

Admit it, Ian, you bought the Victoria's Secret Dylan CD, right?  Wink
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2006, 06:37:38 PM »

A CD came with my crotchless panties? I thought that bag was a little bulky!

LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2006, 05:15:34 PM »

I can confirm that the Hallmark announcement and the ESQ announcement are one and the same...

Lee
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2006, 10:37:39 PM »

Does anybody know if the CD will be sold over the Hallmark website? I checked their website out. It's no surprise that there's no mention yet of the BB CD, as it's five months away, but I did notice that they are selling other "Hallmark" branded compilation CD's on the website of artists like Elvis. So I wonder if the BB CD will be available on the website as well.

I think there are probably a dozen Hallmark stores within close driving distance to me, I just dread the possibility that most of the stores will be clueless about when or if they'll get the CD. I can see it equally possible that either every store will have a million copies of the CD, or none of them will because they didn't order it or forgot to unpack it from the back stock room.

This CD certainly sounds more interesting than "Sounds of Summer 2" or another "Pet Sounds" reissue, but 10 tracks isn't that substantial. Does the 10-track lineup include the 3 solo tracks? Or is it 10 live tracks plus 3 more solo tracks? I'm also intrigued by the "most of which are previously unreleased" statement. This leads me to believe something on the CD *isn't* previously unreleased.

I'm hoping this isn't going to be 7 tracks like "California Girls" and "409" from the '93 show, plus three throwaway solo tracks. I'm already imagining the three solo tracks will be something like "PT Cruiser", an instrumental version of "Wind Chimes", and a Mike Love-Adrian Baker remake of "Little GTO."

Hopefully a tracklisting will surface soon. There seems to be a vague reference to a Father's Day theme, but I'm trying to imagine what BB songs would fit this theme other than the obvious, tired idea that all fathers like "Car" songs.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2006, 06:47:34 AM »

I'm hoping this isn't going to be 7 tracks like "California Girls" and "409" from the '93 show, plus three throwaway solo tracks. I'm already imagining the three solo tracks will be something like "PT Cruiser", an instrumental version of "Wind Chimes", and a Mike Love-Adrian Baker remake of "Little GTO."

This is what I'm expecting. There's so many ways to release their live stuff, why this way? Look at how the Grateful Dead and the Doors have done it. This CD will be shorter than the FRIENDS lp...

I know I'm supposed to be thankful for anything new, but...  One thing about the Beach Boys - they're consistent. They always leave me scratching my head. 
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2006, 12:45:03 AM »

Taken from the ESQ site.

Hallmark is set to market a cool new Beach Boys compilation CD in the Spring of 2006 including recent studio material from Brian Wilson, Al Jardine, and Mike Love as well as previously unreleased live recordings from 1989 and 1974. The CD is planned for distribution to Hallmark branded specialty retail establishments (i.e. Hallmark Gold Crown); and by mail order via Hallmark.com around Father's Day. Hallmark is also considering re-releasing the CD a second time to a larger distribution base in 2007.

The live performances are: tracks 1,2,4,5,6,7,8 recorded in 1989 include Brian; tracks 3 and 9 were recorded in 1974. THE SPIRIT OF ROCK AND ROLL: Brian has gone back into the studio to record this track. PT CRUISER: Al’s fun, rev ’em up recording about the popular car, featuring Matt and Adam Jardine on backing vocals. COOL HEAD, WARM HEART: Mike’s track features his son Christian Love on backing vocals.

1) Intro
2) DANCE DANCE DANCE
3) WOULDN'T IT BE NICE
4) SURFER GIRL
5) KOKOMO
6) Car Medley Intro
7) LITTLE DEUCE COUPE
Cool I GET AROUND
9) GOOD VIBRATIONS
10) THE SPIRIT OF ROCK AND ROLL (Brian Wilson - Gary Usher - Tom Kelly)
11) PT CRUISER (Al Jardine)
12) COOL HEAD, WARM HEART (Mike Love)

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2006, 01:14:10 AM »

Oh boy...    Undecided
al
Smiley Smile Associate

Home again Home again jiggety jig...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2006, 03:07:57 AM »

Thanks Andrew. Wonder who picked the songs.....another live Little Deuce Coupe, just what the world needs. Oh well, at least I can get it mail order, unlike the Starbucks Dylan CD.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2006, 03:49:50 AM »

At least there's no "Barbara Ann"  Grin

Remember, this was prepared with the greetings card buying public in mind - we're lucky to get ONE new(-ish) studio track.

king of anglia
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2006, 04:07:52 AM »

Whoopee frickin sh!t.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx