gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 03:25:36 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Time/Pitch shifting  (Read 1635 times)
nobody
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 17, 2009, 09:18:50 PM »

I like listening to a lot of The Beach Boys' music and Brian's solo stuff through a nifty program I have to alter the time and pitch without losing much quality. It's really entertaining but also useful for studying the songs musically and otherwise. Songs take on a new life when you explore them from different speeds and pitches.

Anyone ever get into this? I'm not being silly, it's a lot of fun. Well, I guess I am being silly then, since it's fun, but I'm serious in asking about it.
nobody
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 09:35:01 PM »

IMO the ONLY way to listen to BWPS is at 178.57% its original speed and seven (that is, 7) semitones higher.

feels good man
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 09:47:40 PM »

I've done this too with a few programs I"ve had over the years.  It is indeed fun and interesting to hear songs in their un-natural keys.  Playing with the speeds can be fun too, especially with slower songs.
nobody
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 09:53:54 PM »

I've done this too with a few programs I"ve had over the years.  It is indeed fun and interesting to hear songs in their un-natural keys.  Playing with the speeds can be fun too, especially with slower songs.

I was just listening to Caroline No which we already know is bumped up a semitone and a bit faster. I was surprised at how positively girlish Brian's voice was when I popped it up a few semitones. Already a sweet vocal, of course, but his phrasing could be that of a girl's easily. IMO it was Murry's genius to suggest speeding that track up and raising the pitch, don't you think? I don't like the other as much.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 01:41:56 PM »

I've done this too with a few programs I've had over the years.  It is indeed fun and interesting to hear songs in their un-natural keys.  Playing with the speeds can be fun too, especially with slower songs.

I was just listening to Caroline No which we already know is bumped up a semitone and a bit faster. I was surprised at how positively girlish Brian's voice was when I popped it up a few semitones. Already a sweet vocal, of course, but his phrasing could be that of a girl's easily. IMO it was Murry's genius to suggest speeding that track up and raising the pitch, don't you think? I don't like the other as much.

Yeah I've never liked the slower version in G, Brian sounds a bit too "mature."  It sounds better sped up in Ab, with Brian sounding younger...it makes the song more poignant that way I think.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 02:53:18 PM »

Hearing "Caroline, No" at its original speed sort of messed up the song for me a bit. The album version sounded fine until I heard the original - now it really, really does sound sped up and it's distracting.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx