gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 06:07:03 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is It Allowed...  (Read 7347 times)
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 15, 2009, 02:08:24 AM »

...to talk 'fan mixes' here? As all of you know, I detest bootlegs as being the products of sick criminal minds who want to make a quick buck by offering the achievements of the truest geniuses in popular music that said geniuses did not deem fit for general and legal release. So I never listen to them and go to church on a regular basis to pray for those who do.

There is a phenomenon called 'fan mixes'. Are these the work of the devil too?

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 02:37:00 AM »

Therefore, my brother, we have 8 commandments, to help you out.

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,122.msg2.html#msg2

The 3rd guideline (3. Talking about bootlegs is fine. Posting messages asking for bootlegs or offering bootlegs is not fine. That's what private messages and emails are for.) should answer your question.

Any discusssion on bootlegs or fan-mixes is just fine, as long as you dont openly exchange them on this board (as in asking for or offering them). It's that easy.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 03:26:54 AM »

Thank you, you are a fine man, mr. Reverend SMiLE-Holland, sir! You lifted a burden off of my heart. I will think of you when I will be watching 'The Hour Of Power', coming Sunday.

...during that programme I always doze off anyway, because Rev. Shuller is not that entertaining anyway...

LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 05:41:41 AM »

So....are you going to talk about fan mixes, or did you just want to know if it's allowed to talk about them here?  Wink

Personally, my favorite Smile fan mix at the moment is the one by DJ Mic Luv.  It's not perfect, and I'm certain that it's nothing like what Brian would have put out in '66-'67, but to my ears it's the most enjoyable listen.  My least favorite part of that particular fan mix is the fake wind noise, during Heroes & Villains.  I'm not too fond of the ending to Surf's Up on that one, either.  Most of the rest is delightful, sort of like Brian Wilson meets Frank Zappa.  Great use of some of the Smile era party stuff, and the Vegetables skit (one of my favorite moments, Hal Blaine saying "There are no chemicals in my soil" just before the Fire music starts...perfect). 

I only have three or four other fan-mixes, and I haven't listened to any of them recently.  I've heard that Purple Chick's is good, and Mok's, as well.  I'm not really interested in one that copies the BWPS track list.  Don't get me wrong, I do like BWPS, and love the Wonderful/Song For Children/Child/Surf's Up sequence, but I haven't heard one of those hybrid Smile/BWPS mixes that sounds good.  If any of you know of one that does sound good, let's hear about it.   
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 05:53:25 AM »

I recently heard the Pet Sounds In The Key Of Dee... it is a brilliant failure, because it almost gets there (a rhythmically grooving hip hop Pet Sounds mash up) but has a couple of technical faults. But it does have its fantastic out-there moments, you get disoriented and psychedelic by the shards and tiny phrases of PS harmonies...

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 06:07:09 AM »

My personal favourite is The Alternate Brian Wilson one.... lots of little funny touches that work. The three movement thing is also incredibly well-handled.
I also don't really get the fuss about the Purple Chick one, once you get past the neat digital stereo trickery. Kind of makes me want to listen to BWPS, so i can hear the lyrics to Worms, or the second bit in actual decent sound quality, for example. Surf's Up is the best thing on there.
Mok's is pretty good, has the best version of Good Vibrations i've heard on a smile boot ( i hate the sound of the stereo mix to that, too) and it all flows quite nicely. And have any of you heard The Big Grin mix? that's short, but it works.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 06:49:30 AM »

I also don't really get the fuss about the Purple Chick one, once you get past the neat digital stereo trickery.

I don't really get into the Purple Chick mix either, I think the transitions and edits are too jarring, although I am a huge fan of the Beatles Deluxe sets that Purple Chick put out.  The Fast Eddie fan mix really similar to the Purple Chick one, but the edits are smoother so I think it is a better listen, I also really like his version of Surf's Up.
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 07:33:53 AM »

My personal favourite is The Alternate Brian Wilson one.... lots of little funny touches that work. The three movement thing is also incredibly well-handled.

What is this 'Alternate' mix?  It combines 60s stuff with BWPS?

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009, 10:32:20 AM »

The best SMiLE fan mix I've ever heard is one song and one song only ... the Anne Wallace mix of Surf's Up ... for me its the diffinitive version.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2009, 01:37:12 PM »

one of my fav fan mixes is by Jerry Boyd, it's called the Beach Boys Smile Again, it's mostly post Smile stuff, but it uses promos with mixing Soulful Old Man Sunshine to Three Blind Mice and then using We're together Again, Breakaway...then San Miguel, the Smog speech, He gives Speeches, Fall Breaks, and Sail Plane Song...oh and Can't Wait Too Long

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2009, 01:59:50 PM »

I don't really get into the Purple Chick mix either, I think the transitions and edits are too jarring, although I am a huge fan of the Beatles Deluxe sets that Purple Chick put out.  The Fast Eddie fan mix really similar to the Purple Chick one, but the edits are smoother so I think it is a better listen, I also really like his version of Surf's Up.

Agreed - it's not bad, but overall sounds way too "patched together" and has too much trickery which sounds funny, and sometimes lower quality and weirdness just for the sake of stereo.

JUST ME THOUGH. Again, it's not bad, but I don't agree with the claims of it being the definitive fan mix.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2009, 03:20:00 PM »

What is this 'Alternate' mix?  It combines 60s stuff with BWPS?

No, no BWPS. That's just what it's called, somewhat misleadingly. It's 3 'movements' with a fair dose of the humour records mixed in, really different musically from BWPS. Definitely worth a look

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2009, 03:48:17 PM »

The SMiLE Deluxe fan mix by one James Nugent is a particularly reprehensible piece of nefarious work I hope I never get to hear again -  not that I've heard it already as that would be equally reprehensibly reprehensible - at least not before tomorrow (it is 11.47pm in the UK, after all).

“We live in divisive times.”
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2009, 04:43:07 PM »

That Wrightfan guy is awesome  Grin

Did the last one all by himself too...cough.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2009, 01:25:32 AM »

This is definitly the work of a depraved and deprived sick soul who obviously gets his kicks stealing from geniuses. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UidK_3EIGyg

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2009, 01:30:57 AM »

Let us all quote from the Holy Book, to repent for our sins:

And on the sixth day The Old Master Painter emerged from his Barnyard, with a big bag of Vega-Tables to pass on to his disciples, whom partook in the consuming of the Holy Vega-Tables. And the Vega-Tables were good. And on the seventh day The Old Master Painter rested; for the Surf was Up.

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2009, 02:21:58 AM »

Let us all quote from the Holy Book, to repent for our sins:

And on the sixth day The Old Master Painter emerged from his Barnyard, with a big bag of Vega-Tables to pass on to his disciples, whom partook in the consuming of the Holy Vega-Tables. And the Vega-Tables were good. And on the seventh day The Old Master Painter rested; for the Surf was Up.

Thank you, my dear Brother, for your wise quotation. For we all are sinners, from our first days onwards. Let us think of Brother Aaron, who produced two fake tablets, with a bowdlerized version of the Ten Commandments on them, the first bootlegs known to mankind. Many, many of our ancestors replicated these fake tablets and enjoyed their contents in secret. Yes, it was the same Aaron who sculpted the Golden Calf. Our ancestors danced around it and drank merrily away, whilst chanting the first known version of 'Our Prayer', a hymn that was constructed for Holy Services, and Services only.
May we never, never fall into the despicable and horrific pit again, in which our elders long ago produced those Evil Bootlegs! Amen!

smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2009, 02:31:22 AM »

Don, I think you should stop watching The Hour of Power on Sunday...

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2009, 02:32:45 AM »

LOL I just p*issed myself, dear SMiLE-Holland... let's get back to normal then!

Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2009, 09:01:09 AM »

Mommy! He said bootleg!

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
GLarson432
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2009, 10:20:21 AM »

No...it's 'Melinda' he said bootleg.
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2009, 01:07:44 PM »

Let us all quote from the Holy Book, to repent for our sins

And don't forget to pray for surf.

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2009, 02:02:54 PM »

Mommy! He said bootleg!

They weren't saying bootleg, they were saying boourns!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2009, 06:49:15 PM »

Mommy! He said bootleg!

They weren't saying bootleg, they were saying boourns!
Every once in a great while, there is a posting on a messageboard that is so brilliant that words fail to respond to it. The above quote is one such statement. That is one of the funniest things I have ever read on a message board. I doubt that very many people here understand that reference, and just how hilarious it is. I tip my hat to you, sir.  LOL Wink LOL LOL

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2009, 06:52:50 PM »

LOL I just p*issed myself, dear SMiLE-Holland... let's get back to normal then!
I thought MY scripture parody was the funniest in this thread. Humph! *walks out of thread, tripping on his own feet*

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx