gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 06:48:50 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate All Summer Long
5 - 48 (40.7%)
4 - 56 (47.5%)
3 - 13 (11%)
2 - 1 (0.8%)
1 - 0 (0%)
0 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 104

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: All Summer Long  (Read 66933 times)
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: February 18, 2015, 10:33:01 PM »

The peak of the "fun in the sun" era, as well as their first "true" album. I hate Drive In and Do You Remember, but other than that, the tracks are all solid. Even the filler is actually pretty cool and goes with the "fun goofy summertime laughs and memories" aura of it all.

I give it a solid 4.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
KDS
« Reply #76 on: April 09, 2015, 09:11:43 AM »

To me, this album is probably tied with Surfer Girl as the best Beach Boys albums from the surf / cars era.  It's so close to being perfect, but once again, the second of three of those "bit" pieces with Our Favorite Recording Sessions.  But, I know it was common during these times to have filler on albums. 

I Get Around gets the album off to a great start.  Probably the Boys' greatest rocker, and one of the great car songs of all time. 

Then, pure summertime bliss with All Summer Long. 

Hushabye has to rank as one of the Boys' best cover songs. 

Little Honda, Don't Back Down, and Drive In and great little rockers. 

I love the organ solo in Wendy.  Takes that song to another level. 

Brian is repeating himself a tad with Girls on the Beach, but when it sounds that good, who cares? 

With this album, The Boys really show that they could compete with the guys from Liverpool. 
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 09, 2015, 09:20:05 AM »

To me, this album is probably tied with Surfer Girl as the best Beach Boys albums from the surf / cars era.  It's so close to being perfect, but once again, the second of three of those "bit" pieces with Our Favorite Recording Sessions.  But, I know it was common during these times to have filler on albums. 

I Get Around gets the album off to a great start.  Probably the Boys' greatest rocker, and one of the great car songs of all time. 

Brian is repeating himself a tad with Girls on the Beach, but when it sounds that good, who cares? 

With this album, The Boys really show that they could compete with the guys from Liverpool. 
Nice review! I have always said, and I know Jon Stebbins will agree with me on this, that if you want to know what the summer of 1964 was like, then this album captures the feel perfectly.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 03, 2015, 04:54:07 AM »

I Get Around - 5/5
All Summer Long - 5/5
Hushabye - 5/5
Little Honda - 5/5
We'll Run Away - 4/5
Carl's Big Chance - 2/5
Wendy - 5/5
Do You Remember - 3/5
Girl's on the Beach - 4/5
Drive In - 5/5
Record Sessions - 0/5
Don't Back Down - 4/5

The near perfect summer album. Brian could do this in his sleep by this point and Mike had mastered the art of the California summer experience, lyric wise. If only the spoken track had been left off!!
Overall 4.5/5

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 25, 2016, 01:12:43 PM »

You nailed it with this review! Girls on the Beach may seem to be a rewrite of Surfer Girl or Warmth of the Sun, but listen to those chord changes! How many times does this song modulate from one key to another? And those harmonies!
All Summer Long is the best of the early albums, all strong tracks, only one filler - OFRS.
KDS
« Reply #80 on: April 26, 2016, 05:41:10 AM »

You nailed it with this review! Girls on the Beach may seem to be a rewrite of Surfer Girl or Warmth of the Sun, but listen to those chord changes! How many times does this song modulate from one key to another? And those harmonies!
All Summer Long is the best of the early albums, all strong tracks, only one filler - OFRS.

Thanks, LS
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 27, 2016, 07:21:41 PM »

Easily one of their top 10 albums, not a dull moment to be found, even OFRS is kinda fun!

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 10, 2016, 03:37:04 AM »

Easily one of their top 10 albums, not a dull moment to be found, even OFRS is kinda fun!

And it segues nicely into "Don't Back Down"----Brian's forgotten note is the first one in that song (probably said that before)...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 28, 2016, 05:25:24 PM »

Reminder that if you don't play ASL every day on every summer you're doing summer wrong.

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
thr33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 25, 2020, 08:26:28 PM »

All Summer Long (Mono, 2015 AP release)

Side 1:

1. I Get Around - *****
This has such a unique sound to it, and the falsetto here is almost haunting. Maybe my favorite Beach Boys Song

2. All Summer Long - *****
Very strong song to follow-up, love the instrumentation here.

3. Hushabye - *****
This one is phenomenal too. What a strong start to the album.

4. Little Honda - *****
This is one of the better car (er, motorcycle in this case) songs. High energy and exciting.

5. We'll Run Away - *****
Great overall performance and very emotional delivery, love this song.

6. Carl's Big Chance - **

Side 2:

7. Wendy - *****
Awesome song opening side 2. Love the instrumental break here too.

8. Do You Remember - ****
This song doesn't try to do too much but is fun. I like it.

9. Girls on the Beach - ****
Great song, the harmonies here are something else.

10. Drive-In - ***
This is fine. This is one of two songs in the AP releases with a bad mix.

11. Our Favorite Recording Sessions - *

12. Don't Back Down - ****
Great song, this one also has a bad mix though. Happy they did it live eventually

Overall Rating: ****
Lots of amazing songs, this is either their strongest to this point, or the second-strongest after Surfer Girl. Nearly all hits, few misses.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx