gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680554 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 04:24:43 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate All Summer Long
5 - 48 (40.7%)
4 - 56 (47.5%)
3 - 13 (11%)
2 - 1 (0.8%)
1 - 0 (0%)
0 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 104

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: All Summer Long  (Read 66928 times)
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2006, 10:07:33 AM »

Just had this on at work...agreed on all counts. Such a great album.

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2006, 07:04:30 AM »

Brilliant, my favourite of the early albums (before Today), the vocals in particular are lush and full sounding.

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
thomasogg
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2007, 11:28:28 PM »

It's a good, not great, album. Some of the tracks aren't particuarly impressive (I'm not a fan of 'Do You Remember'), but the good ones are very, VERY good (I Get Around, All Summer Long, Wendy, Drive-In) and thus make it a solid 4. It's probably their best pre-Today album, but not my personal favourite (though it's far less coherent and considerably more flawed, Shut Down 2 has all my very favourite early BB tracks on it (Don't Worry Baby, Warmth of Sun, In Parkin' Lot) and so i'd pick that as my fave..) Oh, and they shoulda added 'Dressed Up For School' - a great track! - instead of 'Our Fave Recording Sessions'..
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2008, 10:50:53 PM »

Good record and the template for...what the Beach Boys are now. Some rockin' songs, some cool ballads. The only song I don't like is "Recording Sessiosn" but I made my own copy so I don't have to bother with skipping it. Oh, I don't get into Do You Remember, either. It seems more like an exercise to me than a song.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2008, 10:06:13 AM »

"Do You Remember" is such a cookie-cutter Beach Boys song to me, not lyrics-wise, but just musically it's so "let's keep milking this damn formula until it's dry". If this was released on 15 Big Ones or MIU I would've been like, "Cool, they've still got it." But in 1964, they never lost it, and their potential was so much better.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Ana-Lu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2008, 11:22:56 AM »

The mono version of this album blows the stereo away.  It was really a rip off that they used the stereo mix for the CD.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2008, 10:49:23 AM »

If I could only have one album to listen to for the rest of my life, this would be it.  Not Pet Sounds, not Smile, Not Today. They may be "better" albums, but All SUmmer Long is my favorite. I love the feel I have when it plays.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2008, 11:59:44 AM »

4 out of 5. Basically, I feel the same about this album as I do about Shut Down, Vol 2.

I Get Around
All Summer Long
Wendy
Little Honda
Hushabye
Don't Back Down
We'll Run Away
Girls on the Beach
Drive-In
Carl's Big Chance
Do You Remember?
Our Favorite Recording Sessions
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2008, 03:58:49 PM »

"Do You Remember" is such a cookie-cutter Beach Boys song to me, not lyrics-wise, but just musically it's so "let's keep milking this damn formula until it's dry". If this was released on 15 Big Ones or MIU I would've been like, "Cool, they've still got it." But in 1964, they never lost it, and their potential was so much better.
Just listened to it, though, and I kind of like the guitar on the right speaker--a lot, in fact. It's groovy.
DonnaK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2008, 04:42:32 PM »

A definite 5 from me. Has to be the all time BEST summer album. Especially love All Summer Long and the Girls on the Beach~~~~

I believe in the California Myth!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2008, 08:36:56 AM »

5. No question about it. It ranks up there where the air is rare, with, um, 'Looking Back With Love'.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2008, 04:16:58 PM »

The mono version of this album blows the stereo away.  It was really a rip off that they used the stereo mix for the CD.

Humans have 2 ears, why not utilize both of them? For some reason, I've never liked the Beach Boys in mono. Too muddy-sounding. A lot of the layers are lost in BB mono mixes. I prefer the stereo remix of "All Summer Long" from Warmth of the Sun. The only song on All Summer Long needing a stereo mix now is "I Get Around", and I'll be looking forward to it.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2008, 02:16:41 AM »

wont happen the vocals are lost ala good vibrations.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2008, 04:28:29 PM »

At least a stereo instrumental track would be cool. I HATE mono!

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2008, 05:34:54 PM »

You've got to pull it together man! Mono is part of what pulled me in deeper to the BB world. I remember being a kid and listening to my Mom's copy of Pet sounds and not understanding what instruments could be making those sounds. It made me listen over and over. The New stereo mixes are pretty great too. But mono, man, is where it's at.

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2008, 07:25:50 PM »

Listening to some records in Mono/Stereo, PS and Sgt. Pepper just thinking of two, are completely different listening experiences to me anyway. It was earth-shattering. Do your ears a favor (if you haven't already) and listen to any PS track in mono and then in stereo. The clarity in stereo may be better, but I think that mono will be preferable. Oh well, to each is own.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2008, 08:25:55 PM »

Pet Sounds does sound better in mono,i just have the mono/stereo version, I realize it's not the best versionin the world, blah, blah, but I like it. I think most of their early stuff better in mono except for Surfin' USA.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2008, 09:54:01 PM »

Stereo is good if you're into the musical-recording-instrumental-production end of things, where you want to zero in on certain elements of the song in your mind. Mono is good if you just want the big picture.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2008, 04:23:55 PM »

I'd say stereo is good if you want a different kind of big picture.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2008, 05:02:03 PM »

I prefer stereo because it sounds more real to me.  There's more depth and dimension.  I realize the early stereo is in no ways perfect, but then when was the last time you heard a live band in perfect stereo?  You got sounds coming at ya from all sides, but at least it isn't all coming straight at you all in one single burst!
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2008, 07:00:19 PM »

Pet Sounds does sound better in mono,i just have the mono/stereo version, I realize it's not the best versionin the world, blah, blah, but I like it. I think most of their early stuff better in mono except for Surfin' USA.

Definitely sounds better in stereo! The mono version sounds muddy as hell.

lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2008, 01:11:11 AM »

It's good in stereo, but I think I prefer the mono version. I'm no mono snob or anything, it's just that it moves me more, draws me in more, somehow. My emotional response is higher.

In stereo PET SOUNDS I tend to get hung up on details, like the way the background vocals sound. I don't know why, because usually that doesn't happen to me, I listen to music for emotional reasons, not to analyze it, but it does with that. I get lost and can't see the forest for the trees on Pet Sounds stereo.

But everything prior to sixty five definitely sounds better in mono to me, I can't stand those Chuck Britz stereo mixes. The only good thing I can say is that they sound better than the Beatles' stereo mixes of the same time.
LetHimRun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2009, 07:00:53 PM »

4.5, but no rounding to 5. More consistent than SD Vol2, but still some tracks that keep it down.

5/5 I Get Around
5/5 ASL
4.5/5 Hushabye
4.5/5 Little Honda
4.5/5 We'll Run Away
3.5/5 Carl's Big Chance
4.5/5 Wendy
3.5/5 Do You Remember
5/5 Girl's on the Beach
4/5 Drive In
N/A Record Sessions
5/5 Don't Back Down
Nicko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2010, 07:19:21 PM »

Along with Surfer Girl, a contender for the best early BBs album. As always there is some filler, but the likes of I Get Around, Don't Back Down, Hushabye and the title track more than make up for it.

3 out of 5.
JaredLekites
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2010, 01:25:21 PM »

For me, All Summer Long is possibly the most satisfying Beach Boys album made before Brian really went all out with his productions. Not to say the production of the album is unambitious; Brian had a lot of good tricks up his sleeve for a lot of the songs. I love the sequencing of the album but I could really do without "Our Favorite Recording Sessions".

In fact, if you remove "..Recording Sessions" and put "Carl's Big Chance" in it's spot, it would be a perfect summer album. Some may argue that you could lose "Carl's Big Chance" entirely but of the few beach rock instrumentals they recorded, it's easily the best. At least IMHO.

So there's my All Summer Long CD-R:

I Get Around [mono]

All Summer Long [mono]

Hushabye [stereo remix on SUMMER LOVE SONGS]

Little Honda [original stereo mix]

We'll Run Away [the mono mix has better balance between vocals and instruments]

Wendy [If you want coughing, the original stereo mix, if you don't there's a remix on THE WARMTH OF THE SUN CD]

Do You Remember? [stereo mix]

Girls On The Beach [stereo mix]

Drive-In [stereo mix]

Carl's Big Chance [stereo mix]

Don't Back Down [the mono mix is longer but most digital transfers of it suffer from a certain 'swishing' caused by playing the tape back on a stereo machine and then summing the output to mono]

jaredlekites.bandcamp.com/
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx