gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680553 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 03:41:17 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Pet Sounds
5 - 201 (93.5%)
4 - 9 (4.2%)
3 - 2 (0.9%)
2 - 2 (0.9%)
1 - 1 (0.5%)
0 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 197

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pet Sounds  (Read 121779 times)
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: September 26, 2015, 03:30:23 AM »

1. Wouldn't it be nice. 5/5
  2. You still believe in me. 5/5
  3. That's not me. 5/5
  4. Don't talk. 3/5
  5. I'm waiting for the day. 4/5
  6. Let's go away for a while. 1/5
  7. Sloop John B. 5/5
  8. God only knows. 5/5
  9. I know there's an answer. 5/5
  10. Here today. 5/5
  11. I just wasn't made for these times. 5/5
  12. Pet sounds. 4/5
  13. Caroline no. 3/5.

The 'Best Album Of All Time' is not even The Beach Boys best album but it's an essential classic, the obvious stepping stone for anyone looking to go beyond the 'Greatest Hits' comps for the first time and easily the apex of Brian 'the producer'.
5/5

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: September 27, 2015, 07:58:53 PM »

The professor recently listen to this album 10 or 15 times consecutively, and then once or twice a day over the next five or six days. The professor was almost going through a breakup which caused a slight bit of emotional trauma, but the breakup never did occur and get the album Pet Sounds was a constant source of strength, contemplation, and awareness. With this potential emotional crisis over, the professor continued to listen to Pet Sounds and stands in all of its amazing brilliance. The only critique is that Brian Wilson sang too many parts by himself and should have been wiser about sharing the parts for the band. In this respect the scene in the movie love and mercy is very accurate when Mike Love criticizes him for his selfishness.
CroatianSensation
Smiley Smile Associate

97' Beach Boys enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: October 06, 2015, 09:34:22 PM »

Sunflower is better imho
The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

There's no outdoing The Beatles

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: January 09, 2016, 05:53:21 PM »

The ONLY thing I can criticize about an album like this is the album cover. No wonder hippies shuddered The Beach Boys image at that time, even due to Pets Sounds and Good Vibrations. These guys really did have no idea how to present their new image to the mass. Aside from that critique, it is my favourite album of all time, because it represents what only the truest meaning of music could ever represent: emotion. Lyricism at tops, insteumentation at tops, vocals at tops, production, however, could have been a little less muddy, but I guess in it's own charming way, it has it's own vibe. The type of vibe I'm talking about is the: I did LSD with Brian Wilson, I see serine forests, it's raining, it's Spring 1966, I'm in a paisley suit, and everything is foggy, including my memory, due to reall good cannabis. Cool Guy That's my representation of the production if it were transmitted in one's head visually. LOL
ZenobiaUnchained
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: February 01, 2016, 01:49:14 PM »

5/5

Im curious who voted 1...

Zenobia>Cleopatra
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: February 08, 2016, 07:40:46 AM »

5/5

Im curious who voted 1...

Haha, yes. Actually it's the five people who gave it less than 4/5 who intrigue me. Come to think of it, even 4/5 is a trifle baffling. Cool Guy

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: February 09, 2016, 02:02:58 AM »

Haha, yes. Actually it's the five people who gave it less than 4/5 who intrigue me. Come to think of it, even 4/5 is a trifle baffling. Cool Guy
I'd be REAAAALLY upset if smb. gave it 0. I'd try to find out who that tomfool is & seek revenge! police

I think only a troll (or a bot) would give it 0. :=) 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: May 02, 2016, 12:44:52 AM »

I gave this one a five, and I really can't write anything positive that hasn't already been said before. 

However..............................

While I think Pet Sounds is a great album, I do think it's a tad overrated.  I don't think it's the greatest album ever made.  I don't think it's in the top ten albums ever made.  I don't even think its the greatest Beach Boys album (Sunflower for me). 

I think the title track is one of my least favorite of Brian's instrumental numbers. 

Am I the only one who thinks I'm Waiting for the Day sounds a little incomplete and underproduced? 

I will say that I have no issue with Sloop John B being on the record, and I might be wrong, but I don't think the album would've been as loved / acclaimed without it. 

I never really felt that the title track was all that great, either. I don't feel that it adds anything, just a filler before the devastating closer.  It might have served more of a purpose if that was Carl showing off his guitar chops. Let's Go Away For Awhile, though, is a masterpiece. Hearing this much heard material in stereo is very pleasing to the ears. The accapella mixes are wonderful, too. Amazing that they could double track all those vocals the old fashioned way (before ADT - automatic double tracking). Think about how hard it has to be to replicate a vocal performance exactly 2nd time through.
I do have to say, though, that it frustrates me that there are so many casual fans that will talk about PS and Smile as being great works, but they never take the time to check out the rest of the albums. Beach Boys Today, Summer Days and All Summer Long should be required listening; and I could say the same for Wild Honey, Sunflower...and yes, Smiley Smile.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: May 02, 2016, 03:03:19 AM »

I think the title track is one of my least favorite of Brian's instrumental numbers. 

I never really felt that the title track was all that great, either. I don't feel that it adds anything, just a filler before the devastating closer.  It might have served more of a purpose if that was Carl showing off his guitar chops. Let's Go Away For Awhile, though, is a masterpiece. Hearing this much heard material in stereo is very pleasing to the ears. The accapella mixes are wonderful, too. Amazing that they could double track all those vocals the old fashioned way (before ADT - automatic double tracking). Think about how hard it has to be to replicate a vocal performance exactly 2nd time through.

I love the title track. It's my most favourite of Brian's instrumental numbers!

As for the double-tracking: the vocal performances often aren't replicated exactly. I think I remember reading that the first track could even be slightly off-pitch but that this was subsequently "corrected" by the overdub. Whatever the case, live overdubbing adds a "brightness" that you don't get with ADT. Something along those lines...   

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: May 02, 2016, 01:00:26 PM »

I love the title track. It's my most favourite of Brian's instrumental numbers!

As for the double-tracking: the vocal performances often aren't replicated exactly. I think I remember reading that the first track could even be slightly off-pitch but that this was subsequently "corrected" by the overdub. Whatever the case, live overdubbing adds a "brightness" that you don't get with ADT. Something along those lines...   
They might not be replicated exactly, but they're pretty darn close. Just amazing what Brian and the Boys accomplished with the technology of the day.
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: May 16, 2016, 06:32:33 AM »

Happy 50th birthday to the greatest album ever made! Listening

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
KDS
« Reply #261 on: May 16, 2016, 08:38:06 AM »

Happy. I prefer Smile to PS sans short ditties. With PS, I don't listen to it from start to finish. usually, I get best 5 songs & shuffle them with some other bands' stuff. I like hodgepodge kind of playlists. Very cool! 3D

I tend to be the opposite.  I tend to listen to Pet Sounds more.   When I listen to Smile (Sessions), I tend to skip around, really rarely listening from start to finish. 

But to each their own. 

Grin
bluesno1fann
« Reply #262 on: April 26, 2018, 12:48:15 AM »

It's funny. The older you get, the more you begin to really relate to this album.... and relate to the insecurities that Brian expressed. Particularly tracks such as "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times" and "Caroline No".... it's hard for me to properly explain, but essentially while upon first listen I didn't mind the album but couldn't quite get my head around the hype, upon a very recent re-listen I've grown to appreciate and cherish this album a hell of a lot more. Very moving stuff
BiNNS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: May 16, 2018, 09:10:03 AM »

The audiophile in me has recently been researching various versions of PS on cd. I have the '93 and '09 Steve Hoffman mono mastered versions coming my way soon. As far as stereo versions on cd go, I own the '97 box set version, the 2001 mono/stereo version and the 50th anniversary version. Would really appreciate any input from you guys as to which other CD STEREO versions are worth picking up. Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 09:53:12 AM by BiNNS » Logged
BiNNS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: July 22, 2018, 06:40:39 PM »

Two months later, I got to say, my ears are slightly enjoying the DCC version over AF. The only minor turn off to that one is having the "train/barking" coda as a separate track. I'll still keep my AF because from what I understand it's the closest to the original '66 mono LP you can find on cd. (Warts and all).
Also picked up the 2012 MFSL stereo version mastered by Rob Loverde. Loving the sound of that one!
I'm thinking of picking up the Greenline 2800 mono cd as well. One can never have enough copies of this timeless album.....as my wife lovingly rolls her eyes at me.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 06:43:02 PM by BiNNS » Logged
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: February 23, 2019, 10:01:28 AM »

It's funny. The older you get, the more you begin to really relate to this album.... and relate to the insecurities that Brian expressed. Particularly tracks such as "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times" and "Caroline No".... it's hard for me to properly explain, but essentially while upon first listen I didn't mind the album but couldn't quite get my head around the hype, upon a very recent re-listen I've grown to appreciate and cherish this album a hell of a lot more. Very moving stuff

It's part of the power of the album.  As you get older, and enter real relationships, your feelings grow along with it.  I was way too young to understand what it was all about in 1966 when I first heard the album.  In the 1970s, when I was in my early twenties, I understood the happiness - and the pain.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
spgass
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: December 21, 2020, 07:45:25 PM »

In my Facebook feed, I've been seeing an ad for a double 12" 45 RPM vinyl version of Pet Sounds.  I was interested if any readers have it and what their opinions are.  Honestly I don't even own a vinyl version of Pet Sounds and was wondering what people think of this version vs a sIngle 33 RPM record. 
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx