gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680554 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 04:21:51 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate All Summer Long
5 - 48 (40.7%)
4 - 56 (47.5%)
3 - 13 (11%)
2 - 1 (0.8%)
1 - 0 (0%)
0 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 104

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: All Summer Long  (Read 66927 times)
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« on: December 26, 2005, 03:47:25 PM »

Discuss, review and rate All Summer Long, released July 1964.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2005, 01:13:01 PM by Charles LePage » Logged

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2005, 03:49:19 PM »

4 and a half. May be the most poignantly sad happy LP ever made.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2005, 03:52:21 PM »

Not quite as perfect as the albums that came not long after, but still a wonderful record--especially the first half. I really like it. Maybe just beneath a 4. Hushabye, Girls on the Beach, I Get Around, All Summer Long, Little Honda, Drive-In and Wendy make it (to these ears) more consistent than most of what they were doing in those days.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Jason
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2005, 03:56:03 PM »

Great rockers, great ballads, the ultimate summer album. Forget Summer in Paradise.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2005, 03:59:06 PM »

Forget Summer in Paradise.

If only I could.

Matinee Idyll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2005, 04:38:24 AM »

4 1/2...

Woah!

Forget what I said about Bri treading water... This is a fucking huge leap, shouldered the Beatles out of the way in the process (where they'd stay for atleast a couple of years)...

Beautiful album Bri, your first masterpiece.
JRauch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2005, 09:04:33 AM »

The first album where you really realize that Brian can more than write simple surf- or car-tunes, where you realize that something special will happen. And "All Summer Long" is one of the best songs he has ever done. The sound of summer.

Dance as if no one's looking. Wrestle things out to bring moment to your own sense of discovery, and make the world a better place. This is no time for whiners.  –  Van Dyke Parks
SurferGirl7
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2005, 11:55:37 AM »

Came with my twofer of Little Deuce Coupe. Fun album. Great songs. BETTER ON VINYL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
artie
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2005, 06:05:59 AM »

This album is just so good. It started a new era for Brian, as the filler is starting to disappear. Just the "Bull Sessions"...

Girls On The Beach, with Dennis' single most memorable vocal on the bridge, wass Brian's most complex and beautiful song to date. I Get Around and All Summer Long, with its beautiful vibes intro and images of spilled Coke and cutoffs and thongs, are classics. Wendy is great in and of itself, and throw in Hushabye and Don't Back Down and Little Honda, with Drive-In, and you've got a 4+.

Although I was not around, this was the soundtrack for the summer of '64, along with The Beatles Second Album.
HighOnLife
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2005, 01:06:51 PM »

Wendy alone makes this a three star effort. All Summer Long makes it four stars. Do You Remember, the true gem on the album, makes it a...well...

"I don't do drugs. I am drugs."
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2005, 01:25:10 PM »

Yep, Do You Remember rules.
"Elvis Presley's STILL the King, he's the giant of the day, paved the way for the rock and roll stars..."
DAMN right.

Matinee Idyll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2005, 01:32:39 PM »

Bri sings that line with real flair, must've been coming from the heart...
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2006, 09:56:18 AM »

OoooWeeeooOOoOoOoo
A WAAAAAAHHH
A umm diddy waddah
A umm diddy waddah

5 from me.

Watch out for snakes!
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2006, 08:38:30 PM »

Anybody ever hear the Rolling Stones cover I Get Around? They did it in the 60's when Brian Jones was still in the band. It's pretty good.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2006, 09:32:34 PM by Mike Lovestein » Logged

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2006, 08:48:01 PM »

It ain't the Stones, it's the Andrew Loog Oldham Orchestra with Mick on lead vocals.

Evenreven
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2006, 10:11:27 AM »

Fab album. All the songs are good, possibly for the first time with a BB release. The mono mixes are vastly superior though, and needs to be released on cd. NOW.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2006, 03:26:15 AM »

All in all, it's a 5 for me. One of my favorite record sleeves by anyone. It's a perfect summation of everything that's great about western civilisation (riding a tandem with Alan Jardine especially). There's a few songs I don't care about (like Do You Remember, the obvious ones), but I really don't mind them playing when I'm listening to this from start to finish (which I do very often). We'll Run Away has to be my very favorite song about marriage. The vocal delivery on that one truly is nothing short of a miracle. And then there's Drive-In, that insane masterpiece of a stupid teen song, just totally amazing. It was such a pleasant surprise when BW and his band played it live at some of the Smile gigs in 2004. Furthermore it's utterly impossible to decide which version of Don't Back Down is my favorite. I could go on forever.
JRauch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2006, 04:18:42 AM »

Phirnis, do you know that you can listen to Brian's performance at Carnegie Hall on the Smiley-Smile-website? I just remembered that it contained a wonderful version of "Drive In" and wanted to make sure that you donīt miss it.

Dance as if no one's looking. Wrestle things out to bring moment to your own sense of discovery, and make the world a better place. This is no time for whiners.  –  Van Dyke Parks
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2006, 10:44:41 AM »

Didn't know that, thanks a lot! I'm sure that recording is going to bring back a lot of pleasant memories. Saw him twice in 2004 and the second time it was at a beautiful open air setting in Bonn/Germany. I was a little late and could already hear the whole band singing Surfer Girl when I was walking towards the entrance. Unforgettable.
JRauch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2006, 03:21:07 AM »

Hey, I was also at that concert in Bonn. You are absolutely right, wonderful concert, Brian was in top-form, but the venue sucked big time imo. It hadnīt any atmosphere at all and the fact that it wasnīt dark when the concert started didnīt help either.

Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2006, 01:16:28 PM »

All Summer Long – Great, great album. Just perfect. Hushabye is a fave of mine, what with those incredible voices. And Drive-in? Forget it. AWW! I love it! I was so glad that Brian added it to his repitoire, although he failed to play it at any of the shows I was at last summer (although he would play it afterwards). I’m going to go listen to it right now.
Artie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2006, 11:19:00 AM »

The album that inspired my moniker. This is the album that pushed the boys into the forefront. An album of all great stuff.  "Wendy" is a somewhat forgotten gem.

A 5!!!!!
Zander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2006, 01:10:17 AM »

I've got this in my car today and I'd forgotten what an excellent album this was. Haven't listened to it a while, but it brought the joys of summer back when we have a cold chill in the English air at the moment!

All Summer Long, Wendy, Hushabye, I Get Around, We'll Run Away, Girls on the Beach. Excellent, just excellent!  Grin

They say I got brains but they ain't doing me no good, I wish they could...
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2006, 10:19:08 PM »

I believe this is the first album they made after firing Murray. A huge step foward.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2006, 09:03:00 AM »

All Summer Long is the Beach Boys' 'Hard Day's Night', if you will.

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx