gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:31:14 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Interview  (Read 9947 times)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2009, 01:28:24 AM »

What with the Christmas album, Smile, TLOS, Gershwin and the Disney album, does he get more fired up/inspired these days at the prospect of working on single-themed projects/suites?

“We live in divisive times.”
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2009, 04:55:39 AM »

I've thought about this, as it's more interesting on a personal note for me. You probably won't get a chance to talk about this topic.
A few years ago while Melinda was on the bloo I asked her what Brian's favorite Elvis song was. She said she'd ask him and would post it later on the board. And she really was online again later but didn't answer my question. So if there's a chance, maybe you could ask him what his favorite Presley-song was and if he heard Elvis' stunning rendition of "You've lost that loving feeling".....

And as mentioned, anything about the new projects would be finde. I guess he likes talking about new stuff more than always the same questions about the past. Although I wonder which Beach Boys song written by another member than himself was his favorite

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2009, 08:29:30 AM »

Given that the interview is for a general-interest arts section, and many readers have probably never heard of Brian Wilson as a solo artist, I doubt I'll get to some of these extremely specific questions (and for goodness sake -- some of you sound like you'd like an interrogation rather than an interview ;-). But the ideas and enthusiasm are definitely appreciated.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2009, 08:44:37 AM »

Why did Al leave the Pet Sounds tour.?  He did leave right after the incident where Bw laid on floor feelin faint..Also ask him specific questions about BWPS + TLOS..What his particapation was..ASk him if he is happy now after the dark years..Ask him what his favorite solo lp is..Ask him about sessions on Al"s solo lp..What does he think of Al"s studio..Ask about memories of CW DW..Gary Usher..Terry Melcher..Anyone close to him that died..His feelings about the 2 lp deal..Been surfin lately..??..What happened to the resterraunt in disneyland..Who is he for Dodgers or Angels..?
I have heard many times over the years that Brian is a Dodger fan,  In fact, heard him say that in a radio interview...
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 08:46:06 AM by southbay » Logged

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2009, 11:52:25 AM »

What with the Christmas album, Smile, TLOS, Gershwin and the Disney album, does he get more fired up/inspired these days at the prospect of working on single-themed projects/suites?

With your permission, I'll answer that - yes. Of late, Brian finds it easier to work with a theme, a concept if you will, in mind.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2009, 03:54:09 PM »

With your permission, I'll answer that - yes. Of late, Brian finds it easier to work with a theme, a concept if you will, in mind.

Soon as I'd hit the "post" button I knew I'd asked a daftie question -  what was Surfin' Safari, Surfin' USA, Little Deuce Coupe, Pet Sounds, Party! etc if not concept albums...  still, I'd love to hear what part these themes play in his motivation; what it is about them that screw him down into a creative burst.

I often wish he'd developed some of this even further -  a H&V cowboy concept album can't have been far-off completion in some respects in 66/67, as so many individual SMiLE songs repeat the H&V refrains. A Can't Wait Too Long album; a Rio Grande album... I'd welcome them all.

“We live in divisive times.”
SG7
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2009, 07:38:46 PM »

Is there still one thing left you still would still like to do?
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2009, 10:18:26 PM »

When he was laying in bed for those many years, what did he think about the most?  The two steaks and eggs coming up for breakfast?  Did he follow closely the touring dates and places of his band who were making it big-time in arenas and stadiums across the country? Why didn't he attend his father's funeral and make Dennis go with him? Why did he get up and just walk off the stage at numerous solo shows, like the one I saw in his re-comeback at the Hard Rock in 1999? Does he realize how much he is loved?
sleeptalk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2009, 12:33:23 AM »

Is there still one thing left you still would still like to do?

this is a good one.

When he was laying in bed for those many years, what did he think about the most?  The two steaks and eggs coming up for breakfast?  Did he follow closely the touring dates and places of his band who were making it big-time in arenas and stadiums across the country? Why didn't he attend his father's funeral and make Dennis go with him? Why did he get up and just walk off the stage at numerous solo shows, like the one I saw in his re-comeback at the Hard Rock in 1999? Does he realize how much he is loved?

pretty much all of these wouldn't go well...
MBE
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2009, 12:35:39 AM »

I've thought about this, as it's more interesting on a personal note for me. You probably won't get a chance to talk about this topic.
A few years ago while Melinda was on the bloo I asked her what Brian's favorite Elvis song was. She said she'd ask him and would post it later on the board. And she really was online again later but didn't answer my question. So if there's a chance, maybe you could ask him what his favorite Presley-song was and if he heard Elvis' stunning rendition of "You've lost that loving feeling".....

And as mentioned, anything about the new projects would be finde. I guess he likes talking about new stuff more than always the same questions about the past. Although I wonder which Beach Boys song written by another member than himself was his favorite

I know he cut Don't Be Cruel with American Spring and sang His Latest Flame at the piano in the 1990 hotel tape.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2009, 05:54:07 AM »

I know he cut Don't Be Cruel with American Spring

And what a cool version it was. As it was recorded just shortly after Elvis' death I wonder if it was a tribute....
Never heard him do "His latest flame", it's not on the audio floating around....
But those two and the video where he sings "The wonder of you" still don't say anything about what his favorite was/is. I wonder if it's a rocker (no pun) or something that shows Presley's great singing. If it's one of those powerful ballads or something you can dance to....

Good to see you back MBE

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
rogerlancelot
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2009, 06:10:59 AM »

Does it hurt when you pee?
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2009, 06:18:05 AM »

Most of these questions suck.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
astroray
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2009, 06:54:24 AM »

NO, NO, NO, !
Dont ask about a reunion!
I got in lots of trouble with that question!

Cook pork throughly
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2009, 07:21:03 AM »

Wow, what a great idea - asking Brian if he "feels better now" - why haven't other interviewers thought of that? If you look at interviews that Brian has blown off or paid scant attention to, it is usually when an interviewer is asking that question/line of questioning. Questions about Al leaving the tour? About Brian not attending Murry's funeral? Incredible.

If I were you, I would ask questions about his music career and not so much about his personal life. He doesn't seem to be very receptive to those types of questions.

- B00ts
Big Bri
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2009, 09:32:55 AM »

Doesn't matter if he's a Dodgers or Angels fan.....

The Phillies are going to WIN it ALL and give us another Parade down Broad Street here in Philly!!!

Bri
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2009, 10:11:49 AM »

Ask him about Norbit!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2009, 10:55:52 AM »

It's done. Results in 13-14 days.
variable2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2009, 11:12:21 AM »

It's done. Results in 13-14 days.

how'd it go?
DonnaK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2009, 11:24:07 AM »

Melinda won't let him hang out with his bio daughters - does she allow any one-on-one time with Diane Rovell?

LOL
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2009, 12:31:58 PM »

Let's just say that -- nope, can't say that.

The most interesting point was a preview of -- nope, can't say that.

He also definitively refuted -- nope, can't say that either.

Darn. Stay tuned for the article. :-P
Jason
« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2009, 12:34:33 PM »

Let's just say that -- nope, can't say that.

The most interesting point was a preview of -- nope, can't say that.

He also definitively refuted -- nope, can't say that either.

Darn. Stay tuned for the article. :-P

Instead of being a toolbag trying to prove how cool he is, you could just let us wait for the article. Smiley
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2009, 12:44:31 PM »

Darn it, just give an excited kid a break, wouldja?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 12:48:55 PM by claymcc » Logged
Jason
« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2009, 12:48:21 PM »

I was joking (hence the smiley), but fair enough.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2009, 12:49:38 PM »

No problem. It was just a nerve-wracking experience, and I was thrilled. Hence the babbling.

For what it's worth, it's every bit as challenging interviewing him as you may expect. I went through 20 questions in -- um -- six minutes. But he's exceptionally polite and generous. Also, and this is the absolute last thing I'll say on the subject until publication, no one should count out a rock and roll album.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx