gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:32:34 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Interview  (Read 9948 times)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 14, 2009, 11:00:57 AM »

Howdy. So it seems like I'll be interviewing the man himself on Friday. Any questions, suggestions, etc. from the hive mind?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 11:09:07 AM by claymcc » Logged
Stegibo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 11:23:11 AM »

Are there chances for a Reunion in 2011?

Are you ready for some Fun Fun Fun?!
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 11:23:53 AM »

Will there be a SMiLE box set using the original '66/'67 recordings released while you're still alive?

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
rogerlancelot
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 11:39:32 AM »

Where are we going to be able to see this interview?
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 11:40:16 AM »

Howdy. So it seems like I'll be interviewing the man himself on Friday. Any questions, suggestions, etc. from the hive mind?

Wow! How come you get to interview BW!? Is it over the phone or in person or what exactly?! I'm envious, although I'm sure it's a simultaneously exciting yet nerve wracking prospect!

I'm with Alex - will we ever see a smile sessions release? Something tells me this won't be high on your list of questions though? Not if you want to keep any kind of interview momentum, that is.

Anyway best of luck. Hope it goes well, and please post a full description of the interview when it's complete, i.e. not just the interview, but what it was like to actually meeting the guy and so on.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 11:41:38 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 11:41:56 AM »

Does he enjoy touring.

Golden question IMO

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 11:52:21 AM »

Not meeting in person. It's an interview as part of my newspaper job -- he'll be playing in town next month. And I don't want to scoop the article, so I can't say much until it prints. But I'll provide links when it goes up in a week or two.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 12:03:03 PM by claymcc » Logged
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009, 12:14:44 PM »

Why does he feel an affinity with Gershwin? What's his favorite Gershwin composition BESIDES Rhapsody in Blue?
What's his favorite part about being the dad of young kids? (No yes or no there)

Not sure what else. I know that if you ask him about food or music, he's more likely to talk.
jeremylr
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2009, 12:50:03 PM »

I envy you too, Clay.  Here's my 2 cents worth:  does he (Brian) ever play his past work with the BB?  If so, are there certain BB songs/albums today that have special significance to him?  Any of those tracks that he'd like to re-record today (i.e. not satisfied with their original production, vocals, that kind of thing)?

Has he recorded any songs for Pleasure Island?  His thoughts on Al's solo album.  See if you can get him to talk about Dennis's POB Legacy reissue.  Does he have any new favorites from it or Bambu?   I don't think I've heard his comments on Bambu yet. 

Even if you don't pick any of these, I'm still looking forward to reading it.  Good luck.
Jason
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2009, 01:05:33 PM »

THE perennial question for Brian -

"Who ran the iron horse?"
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2009, 02:37:08 PM »

Howdy. So it seems like I'll be interviewing the man himself on Friday.

You're gonna interview Al Huh?   Grin Grin

Maybe you can ask Brian what kind of songs we might get on the Disney-album (maybe "When you wish upon a star"?)

Oh and of course the reunion-thing that was already mentioned

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2009, 02:40:04 PM »

My paper interviewed Mike this summer, so it's only fair.

http://www.cmonitor.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090716/ENTERTAINMENT/907160311/1020/48HOURS
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2009, 02:42:00 PM »

Ask him whether he realizes he could probably sell almost as many albums and keep a bigger percentage of his profits by just recording whatever, whenever, and releasing it to his fans without the use of a record label or retail stores through the web and direct-mail distribution. Then after a few seconds of awkward silence, ask him what's his favorite Beach Boys album. Then, after a few seconds of awkward silence (after he says either "20/20" or "yeah"), just continue with your original questions.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2009, 03:10:04 PM »

Why did Al quit touring with him a few years back? Those in the know here won't say...
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2009, 03:10:43 PM »

Ask him whether he realizes he could probably sell almost as many albums and keep a bigger percentage of his profits by just recording whatever, whenever, and releasing it to his fans without the use of a record label or retail stores through the web and direct-mail distribution.

Good one, Luther.
Ask if you can speak to Melinda for a minute and bring up Luther's idea.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2009, 03:16:33 PM »

When he sits down to write a song (or arrange vocal parts) today, does he still hear Carl, Mike and Al singing the parts in his mind?

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
mtaber
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2009, 06:27:32 PM »

Melinda won't let him hang out with his bio daughters - does she allow any one-on-one time with Diane Rovell?
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2009, 06:48:29 PM »

Are his kids proud or do they think their old man is really a square?

CIFOTM - Was it really a cowboy song at one point?
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2009, 08:02:31 PM »

Ask if he wants to go over to noname's house for dinner...
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2009, 08:17:14 PM »

Come awn fellas - be a little more realistic with your questions.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2009, 08:18:44 PM »

What's the best Beach Boys song that was recorded and has not been released?
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2009, 08:33:19 PM »

Why did Al leave the Pet Sounds tour.?  He did leave right after the incident where Bw laid on floor feelin faint..Also ask him specific questions about BWPS + TLOS..What his particapation was..ASk him if he is happy now after the dark years..Ask him what his favorite solo lp is..Ask him about sessions on Al"s solo lp..What does he think of Al"s studio..Ask about memories of CW DW..Gary Usher..Terry Melcher..Anyone close to him that died..His feelings about the 2 lp deal..Been surfin lately..??..What happened to the resterraunt in disneyland..Who is he for Dodgers or Angels..?
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2009, 08:52:44 PM »

Maybe ask him about his upcoming projects with Disney. If he has songs selected for his Disney covers album, or what Gershwin tunes he'll be doing.
 Smiley

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2009, 08:53:10 PM »

What's his favorite memory of Dennis and Carl?

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2009, 10:21:24 PM »

When he sits down to write a song (or arrange vocal parts) today, does he still hear Carl, Mike and Al singing the parts in his mind?

That's a great one, and something I've often wondered as well.  After so many years of writing with specific voices in mind, I can't imagine it's an easy mindset to break out of.

We know he won't answer any Smile questions (or, more accurately, it wouldn't be smart to ask them in the first place), so I second asking this question.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx