gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 09:04:34 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Postcard From California  (Read 6867 times)
The infamous Baldwin Organ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2009, 07:28:30 AM »

No offense meant to him, but I imagine Al must be very frustrating to work with because of those reasons.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2009, 10:48:29 AM »

And Al tinkered with Loop De Loop for what -- 30-plus years?

And I still prefer Brian's demo of Sail Plane Song!

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Glenn Greenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2009, 12:05:03 PM »

And Al tinkered with Loop De Loop for what -- 30-plus years?

And after all those years of tinkering -- the song still sucked anyway!   Evil

Glenn
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2009, 12:43:34 PM »

I think the song is fine, in a fun kind of way. But it didn't deserve 30 years of tinkering. Just write, record, release, move on. They're just pop songs, Al...

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2009, 03:23:11 PM »

I just mean to get away from his perfectionist ways. Just bang out a covers album as a stopgap, and work on Postcards for as long as he wants.

I would think Al is more of a procrastinator than a perfectionist.  Because if it takes him years to get a song like "Loop de Loop" just right, then perfect must equate to mediocre.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
SmileySam
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2009, 04:07:08 PM »

Wait a minute!!! It took him that friggin' long??? I kept thinkin' that they worked on it back in the 60's and didn't touch it again until around 1998
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2009, 07:12:53 PM »

Wait a minute!!! It took him that friggin' long??? I kept thinkin' that they worked on it back in the 60's and didn't touch it again until around 1998

That's what i thought..... i can't honestly believe anyone would work on something so slight for forty years

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2009, 07:41:39 PM »

Well, it was worked on during the Christmas album sessions at MIU in the late 70s -- and Al said at several points in that decade that he was working on it -- at some points it apparently lasted much longer.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2009, 07:57:59 PM »

It's kind of funny how we're all complaining about and making fun of Al's inability to complete a song or album, but for some reason we all seem to have given Brian a break, when the two stories seem quite similar. I don't mean anything bad by that, it just struck me as funny for some reason....

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2009, 11:31:01 PM »

Mike's 'new' album is full of 'new' songs too!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2009, 11:52:02 PM »

I just mean to get away from his perfectionist ways. Just bang out a covers album as a stopgap, and work on Postcards for as long as he wants.

Al Jardine as Bryan Ferry! LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2009, 01:51:16 AM »

It's kind of funny how we're all complaining about and making fun of Al's inability to complete a song or album, but for some reason we all seem to have given Brian a break, when the two stories seem quite similar. I don't mean anything bad by that, it just struck me as funny for some reason....

I don;t think the cases are that similar -  I assume you're talking SMiLE 66/67-BWPS 04?  Brian abandoned SMiLE in 67 and started again in 04 -  the restart took just a few weeks, days even, in the studio.

Brian's output in the last few years has been impressive - Imagination, OCA, Roxy, PS Live, GIOMH, On Tour, BWPS, WIRWFC, TLOS, and now two album in the pipeline.

Postcards – Al's first solo LP in the 48 years he's been in the business - seems to be subject to infinite tinkering.

I'm not saying that's a bad thing, mind. I'm gone from being unexcited to relishing its eventual release.  Al's got the best intact BBs' voice and has written some fine stuff over the years.  It just needs to be out there, now.

“We live in divisive times.”
Phil H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2009, 03:12:24 AM »

..... and not forgetting that Al promised to give a free copy of his new album 'Postcards From California', to those European fans who were disappointed when he pulled out from touring with Brian a couple of years back. This was after tickets had gone on sale and some of the fans who bought them, at the time of purchase, were expecting to see Al on stage with Brian. I know a few people in Holland who have kept their ticket stubs, as Al has told them to do so. They're just waiting for confirmation of where to send them. I just hope Al doesn't end up giving more away that he sells Undecided.

Incidentally, the reason Al gave for having to pull out of touring with Brian...., you ready for this? He had to stay at home to put the finishing touches to the album Grin.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 03:14:21 AM by Phil H » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2009, 10:53:01 AM »

I'm gone from being unexcited to relishing its eventual release. 

Interesting - I've gone in exactly the contrary direction. I was seriously enthused, about three years ago but now (although I'll buy it, of course), I could care less.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2009, 11:00:10 AM »

..... and not forgetting that Al promised to give a free copy of his new album 'Postcards From California', to those European fans who were disappointed when he pulled out from touring with Brian a couple of years back. This was after tickets had gone on sale and some of the fans who bought them, at the time of purchase, were expecting to see Al on stage with Brian. I know a few people in Holland who have kept their ticket stubs, as Al has told them to do so. They're just waiting for confirmation of where to send them. I just hope Al doesn't end up giving more away that he sells Undecided.

Incidentally, the reason Al gave for having to pull out of touring with Brian...., you ready for this? He had to stay at home to put the finishing touches to the album Grin.
A year back I mailed Al's management and asked where to send the ticket stub, and this is the answer I got:

"Please send your ticket stub to jardine@jps.net

Thank you.

Paula Springer

On Behalf of Al Jardine"

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2009, 11:33:50 PM »

I don;t think the cases are that similar -  I assume you're talking SMiLE 66/67-BWPS 04?  Brian abandoned SMiLE in 67 and started again in 04 -  the restart took just a few weeks, days even, in the studio.

Brian's output in the last few years has been impressive - Imagination, OCA, Roxy, PS Live, GIOMH, On Tour, BWPS, WIRWFC, TLOS, and now two album in the pipeline.

Postcards – Al's first solo LP in the 48 years he's been in the business - seems to be subject to infinite tinkering.

I'm not saying that's a bad thing, mind. I'm gone from being unexcited to relishing its eventual release.  Al's got the best intact BBs' voice and has written some fine stuff over the years.  It just needs to be out there, now.
What I mean is, Al probably just added his vocal and maybe a few overdubs on Loop De Loop over the years. But with Brian, he was adding and abandoning whole sections of Heroes and Villians. Brian was changing the whole dynamic of a song, abandoning it, and starting all over again in a very different direction. I think the Brian example of perfectionism(is that a word?) is much more extreme than Al has been. But Al is the one that gets picked on, and Brian gets excused. AGD will probably correct me though.  Grin

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2009, 11:38:55 PM »

What I mean is, Al probably just added his vocal and maybe a few overdubs on Loop De Loop over the years. But with Brian, he was adding and abandoning whole sections of Heroes and Villians. Brian was changing the whole dynamic of a song, abandoning it, and starting all over again in a very different direction. I think the Brian example of perfectionism(is that a word?) is much more extreme than Al has been. But Al is the one that gets picked on, and Brian gets excused. AGD will probably correct me though.  Grin

Nope, I think all Alan did for "Loop" '98 was to re-record/triple track the first verse... which is why it sticks out like a sonic sore thumb. Not listened to it for a while, but as I recall the rest of the song is the 1969 vocal.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2009, 11:54:27 PM »

Nope, I think all Alan did for "Loop" '98 was to re-record/triple track the first verse... which is why it sticks out like a sonic sore thumb. Not listened to it for a while, but as I recall the rest of the song is the 1969 vocal.

That kind of reminds me of a story about The Who. They were remastering and remixing their Live At Leeds album, and one of the songs had just a few words of the first verse missing. John Entwistle missed his cue. So John overdubbed the first verse of the song....in 1994. That's 24 years after the original recording was made. This was at a time when John was starting to lose his voice after 30+ years of smoking. Needless to say, the "fixed" version doesn't sound very good.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2009, 04:01:59 AM »

BW's H&V obsession only lasted a few brief months though. Postcards has been on the go for, what, two, three, fours years now?

“We live in divisive times.”
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx