gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:00:13 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why did Brian quit playing bass?  (Read 44390 times)
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2012, 06:39:13 PM »

Who really played bass on "That's Not Me"?

I mean, the liner notes say that Brian overdubbed the track with studio musicians, but did that really happen, and would it have been necessary?

I have my doubts about that...I mean, I really REALLY have my doubts about that...for one thing, there's no documentation to support that (when AFM sheets are in existence for every single OTHER "Pet Sounds" session, but not for this supposed "That's Not Me" overdub)...it comes from a comment made by Carol Kaye in the box set booklet 30 years after the fact, and she's been wrong about so many other things when it comes to credits.  Like you said, it wouldnt've have been necessary...my personal belief is that after the basic track was laid down (by the Wilsons, Al, and reportedly Terry Melcher, with Bruce in the control booth), they did another o/d with Carl on 12-string and Brian on bass (plus, I think, Dennis on some extra percussion).  There might be two basses on there (a normal Fender and a Dano 6-string), but the Beach Boys themselves could've easily handled that.

How did I miss this back three years ago?

I think it's pretty obviously an all Beach Boys track, in the Summer Days mold, of things like You're So Good To Me.  There are definitely two basses, no question about it.  I think Brian and Carl just did two passes of the exact same thing.

Anyway, carry on in this very old thread...
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2012, 10:45:07 PM »

When Brian was playing Bass on stage in like '78, or 77 when we've got that really cool (horrible) Honkin' Down the Highway video...  was he actually playing the bass, solo?  Or did he have somebody doubling him like he does now?

I'm still a youngun, but in my naieve, young, idealistic mind... a concert, circa 1977 of the Beach Boys, with Brian Wilson, the mad genius standing on stage, playing HONKIN DOWN THE HIGHWAY on BASS... and dancing like that.  That had to be the greatest concert experience of all time.  If you can have more fun at a concert, I don't know how. 
MBE
« Reply #52 on: August 08, 2012, 11:20:12 PM »

That video was Hawaii 1978. Yes it would have been awsome to see Brian play bass most of a show. Still I could hear his playing clear on this tour and that's something I never thought would happen!
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2012, 01:57:39 AM »

When Brian was playing Bass on stage in like '78, or 77 when we've got that really cool (horrible) Honkin' Down the Highway video...  was he actually playing the bass, solo?  Or did he have somebody doubling him like he does now?

I'm still a youngun, but in my naieve, young, idealistic mind... a concert, circa 1977 of the Beach Boys, with Brian Wilson, the mad genius standing on stage, playing HONKIN DOWN THE HIGHWAY on BASS... and dancing like that.  That had to be the greatest concert experience of all time.  If you can have more fun at a concert, I don't know how. 

He was THE bass player in the video I saw.  More a part of the backing band than the front line, and running all over the place.  It was kind of stunning to behold.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2012, 03:45:41 AM »

Honkin' down the highway video ?!?!?! Please help me out. What's that about?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2012, 09:08:35 AM »

I messed up.  It was Roller Skating Child.  Prepare to be amazed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1EPXBQV3yM

I can't tell what the hell's going on.  I can tell Brian's dancing.  I like that part.  I can't pick out the bass, and he appears to stop playing half way through, and then somehow sings the last line with no microphone. 
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2012, 09:15:08 AM »

delete
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 09:18:33 AM by rockandroll » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: August 09, 2012, 09:15:47 AM »

I messed up.  It was Roller Skating Child.  Prepare to be amazed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1EPXBQV3yM

I can't tell what the hell's going on.  I can tell Brian's dancing.  I like that part.  I can't pick out the bass, and he appears to stop playing half way through, and then somehow sings the last line with no microphone.  

Yeah, that video is hilarious. But I believe Ed Roach (or someone else who shot that movie) pointed out that they played "I get around" iirc and not "Roller skating child" on that footage.
I believe the audio is from May 14th 1979
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 09:17:23 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2012, 09:21:07 AM »

That would make sense, it would match the video better. 
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 09, 2012, 11:05:06 AM »

Ray Price to Willie Nelson: "Can you play bass?"

Willie Nelson to Ray Price:  "Cain't everbody?"
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 09, 2012, 12:29:14 PM »

I always wondered how much time Carl took to teach Brian the Bass. After all, Brian was a piano player, not a guitar player. Usually it's easier to learn the Bass if you're already a guitar player, right? Brian had the bass notes on the piano and in his head but I just wondered how much Brian actually practiced playing the Fender Precision before playing on the first few albums and going out on the road in late '63 and most of '64. I guess he knew how to read the bass notes while playing bass back then.

Dunno if this was covered either, but Brian played in a rudimentary fashion, only using his right thumb to pluck the strings as opposed to using his other fingers. Not sure if he used a pick on the road; I think probably just his thumb. Looking at the Lost video though (and other TV shows) it looks like he held his own on bass - he moved his fingers around the neck pretty good. Kinda held it 3/4 vertical most of the time.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 06:56:19 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 09, 2012, 01:51:00 PM »

I always wondered how much time Carl took to teach Brian the Bass. After all, Brian was a piano player, not a guitar player. Usually it's easier to learn the Bass if you're already a guitar player, right? Brian had the bass notes on the piano and in his head but I just wondered how much Brian actually practiced playing the Fender Precision before going out on the road in late '63 and most of '64. I guess he knew how to read the bass notes while playing bass back then.

Dunno if this was covered either, but Brian played in a rudimentary fashion, only using his right thumb to pluck the strings as opposed to using his other fingers. Not sure if he used a pick on the road; I think probably just his thumb. Looking at the Lost video though (and other TV shows) it looks like he held his own on bass - he moved his fingers around the neck pretty good. Kinda held it 3/4 vertical most of the time.

It's a good question.  The thing is Brian already MENTALLY was a bass player...if you break down his piano playing style, all the action is in the left hand.  He's generally comping  chords in the right and the left is moving all over the place.  I just learned "Surf's Up," for example, and the left hand at the end is devilish hard to play.  "Wild Honey" too...all those crazy bass patterns on that song and on that album are derived from piano patterns.  Not for nothing did McCartney credit him for completely changing his own mindset about the bass guitar.

It's not going to be all that hard for a musician of Brian's caliber to pick up a bass and follow the notes around.  You've got to have the physical dexterity and the ability to think of two things at once (no problem for Brian), then after that, it's all about how the intervals on the strings relate to one another.  Likewise it doesn't surprise me that Bruce was able to pick it up.  If you're a good piano player the fundamentals of bass are not that hard to grasp, and if you know theory, it's not hard to understand the functionality of the instrument.

A friend of the Wilsons once told me that all three brothers, Brian and Carl in particular, had the ability to pick up about any instrument and get it to make whatever sound they wanted it to make.  This makes sense to me.  They may not have been master technicians but all three of them had as firm a grasp on the fundamentals and functionality of playing than any players i have ever listened to.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 01:53:09 PM by adamghost » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: August 09, 2012, 01:55:19 PM »

A friend of the Wilsons once told me that all three brothers, Brian and Carl in particular, had the ability to pick up about any instrument and get it to make whatever sound they wanted it to make.  This makes sense to me.  They may not have been master technicians but all three of them had as firm a grasp on the fundamentals and functionality of playing than any players i have ever listened to.

I believe Karen Lamm or Christine McVie (iirc) is quoted as saying the same thing about Dennis in the P.O.B. booklet

- Jack Rieley
dcowboys107
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 09, 2012, 06:48:54 PM »

If Dennis was playing a 2 4 drum beat, doesn't that mean he was syncopating?  I'm not a drummer so I'm not an expert but most Beach Boys' songs are normal 4/4 meaning that the 1 and 3 would carry the accent. Any clarification would would be nice!
Christoph
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: August 09, 2012, 07:04:23 PM »

If Dennis was playing a 2 4 drum beat, doesn't that mean he was syncopating?  I'm not a drummer so I'm not an expert but most Beach Boys' songs are normal 4/4 meaning that the 1 and 3 would carry the accent. Any clarification would would be nice!

No, they heavy "backbeat" (= Snaredrum) is always on 2 and 4. 1 and 3 is more for the bassdrum. Gosh, how I hate it when people clap on 1 and 3 :D

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 09, 2012, 08:22:57 PM »

Ray Price to Willie Nelson: "Can you play bass?"

Willie Nelson to Ray Price:  "Cain't everbody?"

LOL

adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 09, 2012, 10:07:50 PM »

Dennis understood the four things any drummer should know:

start.  2.  4.  stop.

You'd be amazed how many "technically superior" drummers cannot master all, or even any, of these four simple rules.
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 10, 2012, 12:40:10 AM »

start.  2.  4.  stop.

You'd be amazed how many "technically superior" drummers cannot master all, or even any, of these four simple rules.

Amen. I'd take Denny or Ringo over any of today's super drummers. For all his skills, Mike Portnoy just can't get straigh 4/4 go the way it should.

By the way, I am still blown away after seeing John Cowsill in action at the Berlin gig! What a magnificent clubber! Denny reincarnated. He could do the more progressive stuff perfectly, but it was the early stuff where he really shone. I haven't heard anyone make those old surf and car songs roll like that since Denny's glory days. Hats off, boys and girls.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: August 10, 2012, 01:14:41 AM »

By the way, I am still blown away after seeing John Cowsill in action at the Berlin gig! What a magnificent clubber! Denny reincarnated. He could do the more progressive stuff perfectly, but it was the early stuff where he really shone. I haven't heard anyone make those old surf and car songs roll like that since Denny's glory days. Hats off, boys and girls.

I thought he was incredibly great during the surf songs at the beginning but not as good during the car songs at the end of the first set. But in the beginning, I agree with you.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 13, 2012, 12:52:04 PM »

start.  2.  4.  stop.

Amen. I'd take Denny or Ringo over any of today's super drummers. For all his skills, Mike Portnoy just can't get straigh 4/4 go the way it should.

Agree Agree!!!  I've said JC is channeling DW since I first saw him perform with Mike's band, and especially with the current tour.
Yes, reminds me of DW but , in ways, more proficient and versatile.

A question aside from the topic;  Who was playing Bass on the live recording that is floating around, Nassau, I think, of We Got Love?  Listening to that the other day and was struck by the very good rock bass that I was hearing.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: August 13, 2012, 12:55:29 PM »

start.  2.  4.  stop.

A question aside from the topic;  Who was playing Bass on the live recording that is floating around, Nassau, I think, of We Got Love?  Listening to that the other day and was struck by the very good rock bass that I was hearing.

Don't think I've heard that one yet. I'd say probably Ed Carter (as Blondie wasn't in the band at that point) but according to the list on Eric's site he wan't tehre (is this true?)

http://members.tripod.com/~fun_fun_fun/1974.html

EDIT:

Found another list that names the following band:

Mike Love - Vocals
Carl Wilson - Guitar, Piano, Vocals
Dennis Wilson - Piano, Vocals
Al Jardine - Guitar, Vocals
Ricky Fataar - Drums
Billy Hinsche - Guitar, Keyboards
Ed Carter - Bass
Bobby Figueroa - Drums, Percussion
Carly Munoz - Keyboards
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 01:01:54 PM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 13, 2012, 10:31:07 PM »

I'd say probably Ed Carter (as Blondie wasn't in the band at that point) but according to the list on Eric's site he wan't tehre (is this true?)

I've said it many times and will keep saying it until its prevalence drops:  Blondie was not the bass player.  He played bass on some tracks but was no more the "bass player" than Carl was and certainly much less the "bass player" than Al was.  As far as I can tell, the notion of him being the band's bassist comes from his role in the videos for YNAMOHTSA, DGNTW, etc. but those videos are as much evidence as his being the band's bassist during that time as the videos for "Kokomo" and "Problem Child" prove that Bruce was the band's bassist during the time of those videos.

No hate.  Just doing my (continued) part to try and dispel yet another Beach Boys myth.  Cool
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: August 14, 2012, 03:00:55 AM »

I'd say probably Ed Carter (as Blondie wasn't in the band at that point) but according to the list on Eric's site he wan't tehre (is this true?)

I've said it many times and will keep saying it until its prevalence drops:  Blondie was not the bass player.  He played bass on some tracks but was no more the "bass player" than Carl was and certainly much less the "bass player" than Al was.  As far as I can tell, the notion of him being the band's bassist comes from his role in the videos for YNAMOHTSA, DGNTW, etc. but those videos are as much evidence as his being the band's bassist during that time as the videos for "Kokomo" and "Problem Child" prove that Bruce was the band's bassist during the time of those videos.

No hate.  Just doing my (continued) part to try and dispel yet another Beach Boys myth.  Cool

I never said that he was the band's bass player. But he did occasionally play the bass on stage too. There are pictures floating around.
BTW I never heard that anyone ever said that Blondie was the bass player. This comes as a surprise to me

- Jack Rieley
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 14, 2012, 05:07:34 PM »

I always wondered how much time Carl took to teach Brian the Bass. After all, Brian was a piano player, not a guitar player. Usually it's easier to learn the Bass if you're already a guitar player, right? Brian had the bass notes on the piano and in his head but I just wondered how much Brian actually practiced playing the Fender Precision before going out on the road in late '63 and most of '64. I guess he knew how to read the bass notes while playing bass back then.

It's a good question.  The thing is Brian already MENTALLY was a bass player...if you break down his piano playing style, all the action is in the left hand.  He's generally comping  chords in the right and the left is moving all over the place.  I just learned "Surf's Up," for example, and the left hand at the end is devilish hard to play.  "Wild Honey" too...all those crazy bass patterns on that song and on that album are derived from piano patterns.  Not for nothing did McCartney credit him for completely changing his own mindset about the bass guitar.

Here's a more pedestrian question: what about blisters in your right thumb? You're supposed to get them no matter what from playing the bass. Brian toured quite a bit as a bass player... how come he kept using his thumb to perform? Does any bass player here not get blisters from playing bass with their thumb? I tried to do so as a teenager, just because I wanted to be Brian, but had to switch to pick using shortly because of -painful- blisters.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 14, 2012, 05:20:19 PM »

I never said that he was the band's bass player. But he did occasionally play the bass on stage too. There are pictures floating around.
BTW I never heard that anyone ever said that Blondie was the bass player. This comes as a surprise to me

No problem.  As I read your post, you seemed to infer Ed was playing bass because Blondie wasn't there, while Ed played almost all of the bass in the live shows during their time together, then I realized your wording was because the source it listed Ed as not being there.  But again, Blondie's not being there wouldn't have impacted who played bass in his absence because it more than likely wouldn't have been him anyway. 

And although I could be wrong, I don't think I've ever seen a one of Blondie playing bass in a actual live setting (with an audience and the band not miming).
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 09:58:48 PM by Phoenix » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx