gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 06:12:50 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why did Brian quit playing bass?  (Read 44784 times)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2009, 09:03:20 PM »

Leaf mentions that in his notes to the 88 reissue -- he says it in reference to "Melt Away," I think, that the basslines were inspired by Brian picking up the instrument again.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2009, 09:48:02 PM »

I rememebr reading in Carlin's book that Brian wanted to play bass in the later 70s but Carl wouldn't let him.
Which is weird, because Carl would actually call on Brian(through the microphone) to play bass. He did it at the Maryland 1977 show, for one example. I believe he also did it a year later in Lakeland, Florida.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2009, 09:50:26 PM »

Ok, let's break it down like this: In 1963-4ish, the average fan knew that Carl was the lead guitar player, Mike was the singer, Al was the rhythm guitar player, Dennis played drums, and Brian was the bass player. That is what the credits read on the original albums(at least I think so), and this is how the band looked on the front cover of their 1964 concert album. So, to the fan that doesn't know any better, Brian "used" to be a bass player but has seemingly given it up for good.
This is a bit of a myth, as C-man alludes to in his post below. Yes when they announce the band's instruments before Little Deuce Coupe on the Concert LP and in the Lost Concert film, the lineup you state is what is put forth. But the reality is Al didn't play much guitar(if any) on those first five LPs, and Brian doesn't play much bass after the first two. Dave(not Al) played guitar along with Carl until the fifth LP... Brian played way more piano than bass, and Al played way more bass than guitar. Brian's primary instrument has been piano all along, Al's primary instrument was bass in the studio until about ASL and he still played bass after that quite a bit. I think he was a much better bass player than Brian.  And Al also played bass live in '63 when Brian stayed home, which was often, with Carl and Dave playing the two guitar role. But when Brian did play, Al sat out the concerts entirely until Dave left in late '63. I think the main reason Brian played bass live in the early days was to get his voice out in front and so he could lead the band from the front of the stage, i don't think it had anything to do with his ability or desire to play bass.
Thanks for the info! Highly detailed, as always. I often wonder if your posts on topic such as these are directly from memory, or if you have to reference a book or two.  Grin

absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2009, 12:38:51 AM »

I know it doesn't answer the question, but just to add to the voice who mentioned that Brian's keyboard is plugged in these days.

I saw him on the SMiLE tour in '04 and he played it a couple of times (Wind Chimes as noted, and another song but I forget which). The bass was clearly plugged in too when he got up for the encores. He played a basic bass line, but clearly enjoyed it.

I have a theory that the keyboard is like a security blanket. It separates Brian from the audience and makes him feel more comfortable on stage, less exposed.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2009, 09:03:58 AM »

The keyboard holds the teleprompter, for one. Brian doesn't always use a keyboard (during "acoustic" shows for instance) and when the keyboard isn't there, neither is the teleprompter.

Incidentally, I remember reading from someone on here that Brian's teleprompter sometimes says "BRIAN PLAY KEYBOARD" on it, and he usually doesn't listen.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
HighOnLife
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2009, 03:28:26 PM »

Who really played bass on "That's Not Me"?

I mean, the liner notes say that Brian overdubbed the track with studio musicians, but did that really happen, and would it have been necessary?

"I don't do drugs. I am drugs."
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2009, 07:20:32 PM »

One of the most interesting Brian-bass moments for me is the big sing-a-long at the tribute show from 2001. He's up with the bass, and the band launches into Fun, Fun, Fun -- which is not a song he ever plays bass on onstage (he has practically always limited himself to Surfer Girl and Barbara Ann). And you can see that he spaces out from the crowd and is just focusing on the bass, and actually plays the Fun, Fun, Fun part (well, part of it, at least). You can see that the bass actually interests him most at that point, because it's this somewhat unexpected challenge, but he also remembers what to play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ND6hjCsbpXQ

Make sure to watch through till the end -- everyone is dancing around, and he's watching his fingers.
That clip is a good example of why I think he should be the bass player in his backing band. He looks a lot better standing up and being at center stage, he seems a lot more comfortable, and just looks really cool with a bass.  Grin

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2009, 08:08:55 PM »

One of the most interesting Brian-bass moments for me is the big sing-a-long at the tribute show from 2001. He's up with the bass, and the band launches into Fun, Fun, Fun -- which is not a song he ever plays bass on onstage (he has practically always limited himself to Surfer Girl and Barbara Ann). And you can see that he spaces out from the crowd and is just focusing on the bass, and actually plays the Fun, Fun, Fun part (well, part of it, at least). You can see that the bass actually interests him most at that point, because it's this somewhat unexpected challenge, but he also remembers what to play.

Make sure to watch through till the end -- everyone is dancing around, and he's watching his fingers.
That clip is a good example of why I think he should be the bass player in his backing band. He looks a lot better standing up and being at center stage, he seems a lot more comfortable, and just looks really cool with a bass.  Grin

Post that on the Bloo Board...it just might happen...or you just might get banned for daring to make a suggestion to management!  Smiley
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2009, 08:14:01 PM »

Who really played bass on "That's Not Me"?

I mean, the liner notes say that Brian overdubbed the track with studio musicians, but did that really happen, and would it have been necessary?

I have my doubts about that...I mean, I really REALLY have my doubts about that...for one thing, there's no documentation to support that (when AFM sheets are in existence for every single OTHER "Pet Sounds" session, but not for this supposed "That's Not Me" overdub)...it comes from a comment made by Carol Kaye in the box set booklet 30 years after the fact, and she's been wrong about so many other things when it comes to credits.  Like you said, it wouldnt've have been necessary...my personal belief is that after the basic track was laid down (by the Wilsons, Al, and reportedly Terry Melcher, with Bruce in the control booth), they did another o/d with Carl on 12-string and Brian on bass (plus, I think, Dennis on some extra percussion).  There might be two basses on there (a normal Fender and a Dano 6-string), but the Beach Boys themselves could've easily handled that.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 08:14:53 PM by c-man » Logged
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2009, 09:54:39 PM »

Someone posted a comment that Brian's bass is not plugged in,  on the youtube page for that clip.

And of course Brian looks better playing bass. Anything would be better than just sitting in front of a keyboard that he doesn't play and staring at a teleprompter.

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2009, 10:05:21 PM »

And goodness knows, YouTube commenters really are the authorities on Brian's instrumental contributions.

Bob Lizik is also playing bass onstage in that clip, and I assume that his part is what you mostly hear. But Brian is clearly playing something and concentrating on his part, even if not much of it made it through the final mix.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 10:06:25 PM by claymcc » Logged
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2009, 01:24:10 AM »

And goodness knows, YouTube commenters really are the authorities on Brian's instrumental contributions.

Bob Lizik is also playing bass onstage in that clip, and I assume that his part is what you mostly hear. But Brian is clearly playing something and concentrating on his part, even if not much of it made it through the final mix.
I love how at the end you can see Carnie watching him with a big smile on her face.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2009, 01:33:44 AM »

Post that on the Bloo Board...it just might happen...or you just might get banned for daring to make a suggestion to management!  Smiley
I follow Taylor Mills on Twitter, perhaps I'll tell her. She's already responded to one of my messages.

Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2009, 03:31:47 PM »

In response to AdamGhost remarking that Dennis is one of his true drummer idols:

Yeah, Dennis ruled as a drummer! People say he couldn't play, whatever, had limited chops! Watch him on "Lost Concert" for instance, the guy is rolling all over his kit and kicking ass! That was cool enough, but how he simplified his technique later on was a great decision for the sake of the sound of the band as a whole. Those simple straight ahead ,heavy on the 2 (snare and floor tom) beats were awesome. Dennis is also one of the only guys I've seen blow complicated fills and save himself in a kick ass way! He does it a few times on the Knebworth DVD, he starts some kick-ass fill, loses it and comes slamming back on the 2 without missing a beat!!!!
[/quote]
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 03:35:17 PM by Erik H » Logged
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2009, 12:05:28 AM »

When I saw the SMiLE tour in 2005, Brian played keyboards on the intro to Marcella and Walking Down The Path of Life.

Speaking of miming, in this clip Carl sems to be doing a good job on the bass, but Bruce on the keys and Dennis on the drums, come on! Did they even listen to the track while they were playing?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-18VDbCapNI
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2009, 08:59:20 AM »

They're probably playing their own dumbed-down live arrangement of the song.

And Dennis was either terrible and drumsynching or never actually tried. I've never seen a good video. Even in the I Get Around video, all he has to do is clap, and he screws that up, too!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 09:00:22 AM by Aegir » Logged

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2009, 02:59:14 PM »

I think a lot of musicians of that era were either embarassed/humiliated at having to mime/lipsynch on TV and such. The worst mimer ever is Keith Moon, btw, who usually made a complete mockery about it.

Also, yeah, for Dennis, it wouldn't be fun to have to mime the drum parts that someone else most likely played, when you're more than capable of doing it yourself. If you don't think Dennis can play, just look at Wouldn't It Be Nice on David Frost (the clip where Al messes up the words) .... or just about any other real-live clip.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2009, 03:09:28 PM »

I think a lot of musicians of that era were either embarassed/humiliated at having to mime/lipsynch on TV and such.

I agree in part. Many didn't like it. But I don't think they were embarassed. It was (and still is) the norm to mime on TV-shows.

If you don't think Dennis can play, just look at Wouldn't It Be Nice on David Frost (the clip where Al messes up the words) ....

Didn't they change the lyrics to appear more grown up? I think I've read that somewhere.....

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2009, 03:20:45 PM »

I think it'd be a little hard to mime a part on a track that you didn't even play on.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2009, 03:28:42 PM »

Didn't they change the lyrics to appear more grown up? I think I've read that somewhere.....
[/quote]

Yeah, I think it was changed to "Wouldn't it be nice if we were "closer"!!!!

Thankfully this was short-lived. To be exact, Al messed up the second verse which was kept the same in that era.

Mike also messed up a line from Cool Cool Water on that same broadcast!

Who knows what tensions might have been in the air that day.

Dennis was on top form, at least!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2012, 02:05:12 PM »

I always enjoyed the 1979 Midnight Special, where Brian plays bass on "Rock And Roll Music" (a great version). Brian always LOOKED good with a bass strapped on.

Thanks for the search-function !!
I was looking at that clip because I was thinking about putting the appearance on "Midnight special" on the list for the pro shot Beach Boys concerts (I think this kind of show would qualify) and saw "Rock'n'Roll music". I thought the bass was played very well but then realied that there was nobody else to be seen playing bass. Is it really Brian doing that ??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgFKN1sOuas
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 02:06:17 PM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2012, 02:34:55 PM »

It could be him playing but it's hard to confirm since the video is slightly out of sync with the sound.  What key do they play this song in....E?  If so, that could account for Brian being able to play this way---while taking advantage of the open strings which is why it sounds as vibrant as it does. 
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2012, 02:52:04 PM »

Yeah, it's in E. I'm just so surprised because to tell you the truth I wouldn't have thought that the post '74-Brian could do it/concentrate on it. Now the question: did he play the only bass on stage during concerts? I alwas imagined that someone else was doing the job (like it seems to be the case today when he's on stage playing bass)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 02:53:54 PM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2012, 02:56:31 PM »

Yeah I know.  It is pleasantly surprising to watch it but you do see that he is actually quite focused.  The cherry on top is the settings on his amp---nice think, chunky sound.  Great tone.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2012, 03:52:57 PM »

I love threads like this.

I posted this somewhere before, but I once saw (not in my possession, just saw at someone else's house) a video of the band in '78 and not only is Brian playing bass for the whole show, but he's running around playing rockstar the whole time, much more a part of the backing band than the frontline.  I was impressed that he played all the bass parts right, including the complicated runs on WIBN.  They were dumbed down a little, but he played the right parts. I think Carlin's statement that Brian wanted to play bass but Carl wouldn't let him -- which surprised me when I read it -- may well be true.  It looked like Brian was enjoying himself on the bass and it may be that he enjoyed the challenge and it kept him interested.  But in Carl's defense, as someone else posted, the bass is the one instrument where you have to be absolutely on all the time or the band will sound really bad.  If Brian's performance was spotty, and I'd bet it was, I can understand why Carl would want him off that key position.  For that matter I'm surprised Dennis hung in on the drums as long as he did, but his technique -- simple beats, heavy on the 2 and 4 -- mask a world of technical sins because if you have a solid backbeat, a lot of the other stuff doesn't matter, one reason why Dennis Wilson is truly one of my drumming idols.

Bruce's diminished role in the touring band is something that has long mystified me, because he was an integral part of the band in the late '60s and the guy is a monster musician by all accounts.  I can understand him not wanting to play bass much because again, he's not much of a bass player per se, but I notice that when he's mimed bass parts in videos  and lip sync appearances in later days (e.g. "Sumahama" in '79, "Getcha Back" in '85, "Kokomo" in '88 "Problem Child" in 90), he's always playing the right bass lines even though he didn't play on the records or even play them live.  That always impressed me.

I think it's true that Brian CAN play whatever instrument he wants to if he has the time and interest, but as someone else posted, he has other fish to fry.  Certainly when he was pulling together those tracks in the '70s it was much easier to go over to a moog and play the left hand bass line than it was to transpose those complicated lines to a bass guitar (or teach them to someone else, for that matter).

Well, why should Bruce have to contribute anything to the band live when he can just sit there and clap and get paid all the same? Wouldn't it be socialist to demand that he actually do something unless he's to be paid on a per-note basis?
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx