gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680742 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 04:35:11 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Smile voted 4th best album of the decade by Uncut Magazine  (Read 8960 times)
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« on: October 09, 2009, 07:53:28 AM »

http://stereogum.com/archives/list/uncuts_top_20_albums_of_the_00s_093691.html

Awesome.

10 Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes
09 Ryan Adams - Heartbreaker
08 Bob Dylan - Modern Times
07 Arcade Fire - Funeral
06 Robert Plant and Alison Krauss - Raising Sand
05 The Strokes - Is This It
04 Brian Wilson - Smile
03 Wilco - A Ghost is Born
02 Bob Dylan - 'Love and Theft'
01 The White Stripes - White Blood Cells

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 08:01:22 AM »

Putting Smile there is lovely and all that.... but that list is absolutely terrible, with the possible exception of the strokes. Maybe 'Love And Theft', too. Most of those records are average at best.....

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 08:03:08 AM »

Putting Smile there is lovely and all that.... but that list is absolutely terrible, with the possible exception of the strokes. Maybe 'Love And Theft', too. Most of those records are average at best.....

That's the problem of the current music scene. I don't really know if there are that many great records out there but I doubt it

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 08:34:33 AM »

Here are a list of great albums that should be on that list:

Kid A - Radiohead
Illinoise - Sufjan Stevens
The Thrills - So Much for the City
Cold Play - (recent one that was recorded in cathedrals across Europe) I forgot what its called

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 09:07:58 AM »

Love and Theft is good.  Modern Times' inclusion is a joke, surely.  JJ Cale meets Sub-Crosby crooning...
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 09:41:09 AM »

Am I the only one who is of the persuasion that the decade still has almost 3 months to go?

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009, 09:43:43 AM »

this is stupid.

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2009, 09:47:51 AM »

this is stupid.

Yup. It is the British obsession with lists, probably initiated by a very crude potty training period. MOJO magazine has the list obsession to thank for its downfall. No matter what, no matter how insipid and inane the music or films might be, make a list. And since in the UK a magazine with 'october' on its front tends to hit the shops in february, it all becomes a bit psychiatric.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2009, 10:15:13 AM »

Not Smile - Brian Wilson Presents Smile. Big difference.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2009, 10:17:42 AM »

I did not think otherwise. Were there really people who thought about the '67 Smile?  Shocked

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2009, 10:18:31 AM »

I did not think otherwise. Were there really people who thought about the '67 Smile?  Shocked

Just striving for a little historical accuracy.  Grin

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2009, 10:20:44 AM »

OK. That's fine with me. Andrew, how is it that UK mags are so, um, obsessed with 'pre-dating' (or 'post-dating' if you will) the month a magazine hits the stores?

Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2009, 10:43:41 AM »

Awesome.

07 Arcade Fire - Funeral
04 Brian Wilson - Smile

I'd replace A Ghost is Born with Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. And like Magic Transistor Radio said, where are The Thrills, Sufjan, and Coldplay (BTW, the album is called Viva La Vida)? And where are TLOS and Live At The Roxy? Where's Animal Collective? Rilo Kiley? Death Cab? The Decemberists? The Postal Service? Bright Eyes? The Shins? The Explorers Club? TV On The Radio? M.I.A.? Barenaked Ladies? Camera Obscura? Belle and Sebastian? Stereolab? Battles? Justice? Death From Above 1979? Broken Social Scene? Feist?  The Thrills? THE FLAMING LIPS?Huh?!!!!!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 12:04:16 PM by Alex » Logged

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2009, 10:45:24 AM »

Awesome.

07 Arcade Fire - Funeral
04 Brian Wilson - Smile

I'd replace A Ghost is Born with Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. And like Magic Transistor Radio said, where are The Thrills, Sufjan, and Coldplay (BTW, the album is called Viva La Vida)? And where are TLOS and Live At The Roxy? Where's Animal Collective? Rilo Kiley? Death Cab? The Decemberists? The Postal Service? Bright Eyes? The Shins? The Explorers Club? TV On The Radio? M.I.A.? Barenaked Ladies? Camera Obscura? Belle and Sebastian? Stereolab? Battles? Justice? Death From Above 1979? Broken Social Scene? THE FLAMING LIPS?Huh?!!!!!

UK pop mag editors are notorious for their intense daytime drinking.

8o8o
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2009, 10:54:06 AM »

And like Magic Transistor Radio said, where are The Thrills, Sufjan, and Coldplay (BTW, the album is called Viva La Vida)? And where are TLOS and Live At The Roxy? Where's Animal Collective? Rilo Kiley? Death Cab? The Decemberists? The Postal Service? Bright Eyes? The Shins? The Explorers Club? TV On The Radio? M.I.A.? Barenaked Ladies? Camera Obscura? Belle and Sebastian? Stereolab? Battles? Justice? Death From Above 1979? Broken Social Scene? THE FLAMING LIPS?Huh?!!!!!
Further down the list. They printed a Top 150 in the magazine.  Tongue
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2009, 11:07:03 AM »

Awesome.

07 Arcade Fire - Funeral
04 Brian Wilson - Smile

I'd replace A Ghost is Born with Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. And like Magic Transistor Radio said, where are The Thrills, Sufjan, and Coldplay (BTW, the album is called Viva La Vida)? And where are TLOS and Live At The Roxy? Where's Animal Collective? Rilo Kiley? Death Cab? The Decemberists? The Postal Service? Bright Eyes? The Shins? The Explorers Club? TV On The Radio? M.I.A.? Barenaked Ladies? Camera Obscura? Belle and Sebastian? Stereolab? Battles? Justice? Death From Above 1979? Broken Social Scene? THE FLAMING LIPS?Huh?!!!!!

UK pop mag editors are notorious for their intense daytime drinking.

Honestly, I think the UK music rags hate pretty much everything I listen to except for Brian and the BBs.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2009, 01:10:32 PM »

OK. That's fine with me. Andrew, how is it that UK mags are so, um, obsessed with 'pre-dating' (or 'post-dating' if you will) the month a magazine hits the stores?

I have no idea... and it's getting worse - when I used to manage a newsagents a few years back, we were getting, say, the September issue in mid-July.

TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2009, 02:17:40 PM »

It's funny, but BWPS is the only album of those ten that would make my top ten of the decade (there's still several months, though).

I hope this isn't derailing, but I'll post my personal top ten soon.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2009, 03:12:15 PM »

I'm not trying to be argumentative for the sake of it (as I know this is an incendiary topic) but I don't have a problem with calling BWPS Smile, and certainly don't think it is a cold hard fact that BWPS isn't Smile.

If BWPS isn't smile, what is? Are the unfinished 66/67 sessions Smile? Could a specific combination of the original 66 fragments become Smile? Would Brian need to organise these fragments solely on his own, for this to qualify as a finished Smile? Why does the fact he had assistance (ranging from 0-100%) negate BWPS's claim to being Smile? After all he had assistance on the original sessions.

Or maybe if legal wranglings hadn't prevented them from just calling BWPS, Smile, it would be Smile, i.e. it's merely in name alone that the quibble exists.

Or would the only legitimate Smile have been the one finished in a parallel universe in 1967?

What's Brian's take on it - has he said he finished Smile with BWPS?

I know this might seem like a belligerent post. It isn't meant to be. I just think it's interesting defining why BWPS is or isn't Smile. I certainly don't think it's cut & dried that it isn't Smile.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2009, 03:24:01 PM »

1) Are the unfinished 66/67 sessions Smile?

2) Could a specific combination of the original 66 fragments become Smile?

3) Would Brian need to organise these fragments solely on his own, for this to qualify as a finished Smile?

4) Or would the only legitimate Smile have been the one finished in a parallel universe in 1967?

5) What's Brian's take on it - has he said he finished Smile with BWPS?

1) yes

2) no

3) no

4) yes

5) yes

Just my opinion(s)   Smiley SMiLE
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2009, 03:27:11 PM »

What's Brian's take on it - has he said he finished Smile with BWPS?

Yes.
Personally (and that's probably all this is worth), to me BWPS is "finished SMiLE" and '66-'67 SMiLE is "unfinished SMiLE".  Had it been finished in '66-'67 it would've been different than the finished BWPS, but for that matter, had it been finished in '66, it would have been different had it been finished in '67.  In fact, if it had been finished in September '66, it would've been different than had it been finished in December '66, and a December '66 finished SMiLE would've been different than had it been finished in January '67, which would've been different had it been finished in May '67.  See what I mean?  SMiLE only got finished in '04, and now it's finished, but since it's a different set of recordings, there are now TWO SMiLES...unfinished SMiLE and finished SMiLE.  On that note, I'm gonna  Smiley  
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2009, 03:30:46 PM »

there are now TWO SMiLES...unfinished SMiLE and finished SMiLE.  On that note, I'm gonna  Smiley  

Yes that's about the way I see it. As BWPS is finished and unfinished Smile isn't, I think BWPS actually has more claim to being Smile, than Smile does!

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2009, 03:47:38 PM »

Had it been finished in '66-'67 it would've been different than the finished BWPS, but for that matter, had it been finished in '66, it would have been different had it been finished in '67.  In fact, if it had been finished in September '66, it would've been different than had it been finished in December '66, and a December '66 finished SMiLE would've been different than had it been finished in January '67, which would've been different had it been finished in May '67.  See what I mean?  

Isn't that true with every album Brian produced, or any album by any artist?

If Brian re-recorded "Trombone Dixie", and had a press conference announcing that he would like to NOW close Pet Sounds with "Trombone Dixie" instead of "Caroline No", and insisted that all future pressings be issued this way, which Pet Sounds would you consider finished?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2009, 03:59:07 PM »

Glad to see BWPS got some respect, as I agree that it's among the top 10 or so of the decade. Right up there, in fact. Love & Theft, too. As for both the magazine's and most of the others here's remaining choices, I'd disagree. And I'd disagree that there wasn't plenty of great music this decade. But really, such things take a while to sort themselves out. No need to decide what ended up the best when we're still here. Check back in 10 years. Or 25. By which time, a whole new crop of old farts will complain about the then-new music, while the younger people bitch about the inclusion of phogies like the Jonas Bros. or MIA in their lists.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2009, 04:01:29 PM »

Oh, and for the record, my list is probably something like Love & Theft, BWPS, Belle & Sebastian's Dear Catastrophe Waitress, Beulah's Coast is Never Clear, Of Montreal's Satanic Panic in the Attic, Iron & Wine's the Shepherd's Dog, Amy Winehouse's Back to Black, Herman Dune's Giant, Shins' Chutes Too Narrow, and Tom Waits' Alice. Not in that order. And with another 30 discs contending for those same spots.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx