gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681504 Posts in 27639 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 09, 2024, 07:46:02 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Disney wishlist  (Read 7091 times)
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 08, 2009, 05:12:19 AM »

Are there any songs that you would love to see Brian cover for his Disney covers album? I'm sure we all agree that When You Wish Upon A Star is a big probability but what else would you like to see him record?
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 05:14:59 AM »

Heigh Ho

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 05:20:15 AM »

Good one! Still, it's such an absurd thought! Brian singing Disney. Who would have thought? I just can't imagine hearing Brian sing some of these songs. I mean some of them are just great recordings (for what they are) so it'll just be interesting to hear what Brian can do with them. Hopefully, as someone has already said, he does his own little arrangement and changes it up a bit and doesn't just do straight covers. That could be really disappointing.

Anyway, how about You've Got A Friend In Me?
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 05:20:35 AM »

“Hakuna Matata"  Grin

I'm not too excited about the Disney covers. Really excited about that Gershwin stuff though

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 05:25:12 AM »

Yeah the Gershwin stuff is much more interesting to me as well. Because they are all unheard compositions right? So it will be a fresh listening experience to hear what he can come up with. Whereas I think the Disney one will be interesting but certainly not very inspired.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 05:31:18 AM »

I think the Disney project can be outstanding. He might as well just cover this entire album in his own style:

« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 05:33:54 AM by The Heartical Don » Logged

mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009, 05:34:38 AM »

I think the Disney project can be outstanding. He might as well just cover this entire album in his own style:

Which is what I'm guessing he will do. But will that be any good? I'm just not sure. I mean back in his heyday when he used to record cover versions of songs he used to top them or at least make it interesting by doing something a little different. Do you really think he could top those classic Disney records by just doing the entire album in his own style?
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2009, 05:40:15 AM »

Which is what I'm guessing he will do. But will that be any good? I'm just not sure. I mean back in his heyday when he used to record cover versions of songs he used to top them or at least make it interesting by doing something a little different. Do you really think he could top those classic Disney records by just doing the entire album in his own style?

That is the $$$$$$ question. If he succeeds in retrieving that special quality of his, to add new rainbows of sound to the material and arranging it well (e.g. changed bass runs), it will be tops. But flat covers is a no-go zone, to be honest.

The infamous Baldwin Organ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2009, 06:08:49 AM »

I would like to suggest the following...

1. Rumbly in My Tummy (Featuring the "Theme From Shortenin' Bread")
2. A Spoonfull of Sugar  Evil
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2009, 06:22:26 AM »

I love many works from the Disney-movies. Don't know the english titles to all of them though. But "Junglebook" has some fantastic stuff on it (and Van Dyke Parks played on the original recordings iirc)

Always thought it would be great if Brian writes his own music to Peter Pan. You know, innocent, magical and exotic. Would fit him very well. John Williams did a hell of a job for Spielberg's "Hook" in the 90s. One of my alltime favorite soundtracks

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2009, 06:27:06 AM »

I love many works from the Disney-movies. Don't know the english titles to all of them though. But "Junglebook" has some fantastic stuff on it (and Van Dyke Parks played on the original recordings iirc)

According to Wikipedia (which is of course 100% fact...) Van Dyke arranged the song "The Bare Necessities"
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2009, 06:38:56 AM »

According to Wikipedia (which is of course 100% fact...) Van Dyke arranged the song "The Bare Necessities"

Interesting. My memory was that he played piano but never heard of him doing arrangements. Cool. The soundtrack has great music btw

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2009, 06:41:57 AM »

Interesting. My memory was that he played piano but never heard of him doing arrangements. Cool. The soundtrack has great music btw

He arranged the Harry Nilsson-composed soundtrack for Robert Altman's 'Popeye'. Great album, sold poorly. Never released as a CD. If you would like to hear it (it's out of print), please PM me in some three weeks.

SG7
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2009, 07:05:11 AM »

He needs to get VDP for this!
picassosson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2009, 07:05:59 AM »

This project sounds great if Brian can approach it seriously - yet not too seriously, if you get my drift. He should just have a good time with it.

Here are some of my favorite Disney tracks... I think he should stay away from anything that he wouldn't have heard as a kid or young man - tough call on the Mary Poppins and Disneyland stuff though - it's sooo classic.

Turkey In The Straw
Heigh-Ho
Whistle While You Work
Someday My Prince Will Come
When You Wish Upon A Star
Casey Junior
Little April Shower
Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah
You Can Fly! You Can Fly! You Can Fly!
The Ballad Of David Crocket
Lavender Blue (Dilly, Dilly)
Meet Me Down On Main Street
A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes
Once Upon A Dream
A Whale Of A Tale
Higitus Figitus
When I See An Elephant Fly
A Spoonful Of Sugar
The Tiki, Tiki, Tiki Room
Love Is A Song
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2009, 07:08:23 AM »

This project sounds great if Brian can approach it seriously - yet not too seriously, if you get my drift. He should just have a good time with it.

Here are some of my favorite Disney tracks... I think he should stay away from anything that he wouldn't have heard as a kid or young man - tough call on the Mary Poppins and Disneyland stuff though - it's sooo classic.

Turkey In The Straw
Heigh-Ho
Whistle While You Work
Someday My Prince Will Come
When You Wish Upon A Star
Casey Junior
Little April Shower
Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah
You Can Fly! You Can Fly! You Can Fly!
The Ballad Of David Crocket
Lavender Blue (Dilly, Dilly)
A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes
Once Upon A Dream
A Whale Of A Tale
Higitus Figitus
When I See An Elephant Fly
A Spoonful Of Sugar
The Tiki, Tiki, Tiki Room
Love Is A Song

Lovely list! And I love you avatar too... they don't make 'em like that anymore.

SG7
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2009, 07:09:00 AM »

Tiki room FTW
picassosson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2009, 07:10:22 AM »

He needs to get VDP for this!

No, no he doesn't. Seriously, I love VDP, but if Disney wanted VDP they would've hired VDP. The whole reason they want Brian is because they want Brian arranging - as will the majority of people who will be buying this. I hate that they use the phrase "Brian-izing" as that could confuse Brian into thinking he has to do something a certain way. Man should just be himself, and have a good time while doing it... if he's arranging it it will sound like Brian no matter what choices he makes. I don't want this becoming another project that they slap Brian's name on top of so it shifts units, yet someone else does all the heavy lifting behind the scenes.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 07:11:59 AM by picassosson » Logged
rogerlancelot
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2009, 07:15:46 AM »

"Baby Mine" from Dumbo.
picassosson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2009, 07:16:43 AM »

Lovely list! And I love you avatar too... they don't make 'em like that anymore.

hehe - They sure don't!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2009, 07:24:29 AM »

"Baby Mine" from Dumbo.

Yes please... tailor-written for Wilson!

Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2009, 08:01:12 AM »

He arranged the Harry Nilsson-composed soundtrack for Robert Altman's 'Popeye'. Great album, sold poorly. Never released as a CD. If you would like to hear it (it's out of print), please PM me in some three weeks.

Van can be seen playing piano in Popeye, too.  Best place to catch him is in the boxing segment; he's credited as "Hoagy, the Piano Player".  A great place to catch him acting is in the failed sequel to Chinatown that Jack Nicholson directed, The Two Jakes.  He plays the district attorney, I think.  He has quite a variety of film credits: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0663026/
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2009, 08:09:27 AM »

Van can be seen playing piano in Popeye, too.  Best place to catch him is in the boxing segment; he's credited as "Hoagy, the Piano Player".  A great place to catch him acting is in the failed sequel to Chinatown that Jack Nicholson directed, The Two Jakes.  He plays the district attorney, I think.  He has quite a variety of film credits: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0663026/

Thanks Ed! IMHO The Two Jakes is vastly underrated. It has a highly comical subtext, with for instance the idea of 'explosions' every once in a while. I will surely check out the Popeye movie. Van Dyke played in King Vidor's 'The Swan', with Alec Guinness and Grace Kelly. A great anecdote: he was reading something in ms. Kelly's dressing room.  As he was only 8 years or so, Grace thought nothing of taking off her bra. Mr. Parks had a whale of a good time peeping just over the book...

DSamore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2009, 09:37:08 AM »

The Bear Necessities
....AND! The song that timon and pumba sing to distract the jackals.

"if you're looking for a hunk of fresh and juicy meat, eat my friend pumba here- he's a real treat!"
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2009, 09:54:24 AM »

@DSamore: "Aaaare ya ackin' (yep yep yep) foooor some bacon? (yep yep yep)"
That would be classic  Cheesy

I agree with the Bear Necessities. Maybe even "I Wanna Be Like You". Or how about "That's What Friends Are For" duet with Paul McCartney since that song has Beatles influence with the vultrues.

When You Wish Upon A Star (of course)
The Monkey's Uncle - with Taylor on lead
Cruella Devil

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx