gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680852 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 04:02:57 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson/Gershwin collaboration  (Read 13483 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: October 08, 2009, 11:32:20 AM »

Well, AGD, if they record for the 18th-2oth, and then take the time off for the tour, they could indeed finish up after Thanksgiving. That's how I read the comment -- not that the recording would be continuous over that time.

I would hope that Brian spends slightly more than a month in the studio for this project.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 08, 2009, 11:35:42 AM »

Yeah, I'd hope it, too, but things don't look encouraging on that point. BWPS -- tracks recorded in five days. The X-Mas and TLOS tracks were also recorded quickly, if I recall correctly. Then a month or two are taken for vocal work/tweaking. That's been the pattern, so I wonder if that's what they're planning for this time as well.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 08, 2009, 11:46:30 AM »

I'm actually pretty excited about this.  I was expecting a new album, but these projects open up some interesting possibilities.  I look forward to hearing the Gershwin album in particular...I've always wanted to hear Brian do more instrumental music.  He's very underrated in that area.  Too bad we'll have to wait awhile to hear these (hopefully not too long), but I think at least one of them will be worth it.
doc smiley
Smiley Smile Associate

Timeless pounds the livin' daylights outta trendy

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 08, 2009, 11:48:22 AM »

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

This sounds wonderful!

This is the kind of project that I would have wished for.. for Brian Wilson !

At his age, this sounds like the kind of project that he can get  into.. something he has said he loves...

If his wife and and his handlers set this up for him, that shows real love.. and if this was all Brian's choice...

still excellent and I know that whatever the results, I'm sure that it will be done sincerely !

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

"A voice or a song can be so comforting to someone who really needs it."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1990
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: October 08, 2009, 11:49:04 AM »

Yeah, I'd hope it, too, but things don't look encouraging on that point. BWPS -- tracks recorded in five days. The X-Mas and TLOS tracks were also recorded quickly, if I recall correctly. Then a month or two are taken for vocal work/tweaking. That's been the pattern, so I wonder if that's what they're planning for this time as well.

BWPS & TLOS were worked up on the road prior to recording. Unless they've been secretly rehearsing this summer, the band are coming to this pretty cold.

Time for a discretely placed phone call, I'm thinking...

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: October 08, 2009, 11:51:18 AM »

BWPS & TLOS were worked up on the road prior to recording. Unless they've been secretly rehearsing this summer, the band are coming to this pretty cold.

Time for a discretely placed phone call, I'm thinking...

BTW, don't read me wrong - I'm very excited for Brian over this: properly executed it could enhance his stature significantly. Which is why I'm hoping for 1) low level of static and 2) not a half-assed run at it.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 12:24:39 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

Jason
« Reply #81 on: October 08, 2009, 11:53:25 AM »

Are we thinking albums of Disney classics and Gershwin fragments in that megaphone he's been blessing us with for years a la GIOMH? Smiley
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 08, 2009, 12:05:05 PM »

Andrew -- I'm actually quite pumped for it as well. I'm sure I'll enjoy the results (heck, I enjoy GIOMH, so you know how little discernment I actually possess in matters BW).

This seems like an ideal way for Brian to keep recording and keep his profile up without the stress of creating a major themed project /suite (something that "Pleasure Island," as he described it, almost seemed to parody).

But so much depends on the level of care and taste brought to the projects (both of them). And care and taste -- as we know -- are not always something Brian has consistently through projects. Frankly, I'd be pleased with something of the quality of the Christmas album, although I hope and expect better.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: October 08, 2009, 12:11:09 PM »

Which is why I'm hoping for 1) low level of static and 2) not a half-assed run at it.

I'd guess that Gershwin's people will also have a word to say if it's not having a certain level of quality. At least when it comes to the unfinished pieces. All in all, Brian has quite some pressure but the kind he's probably much more comfortable to take than touring....

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Jason
« Reply #84 on: October 08, 2009, 12:12:47 PM »

Maybe this new album of Gershwin stuff will be an excuse for Brian to release his version of Rhapsody In Blue which has been collecting dust since 1995. Smiley
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: October 09, 2009, 12:55:21 AM »

I only hope the production is good and interesting, don't want to hear anymore attempts at trying to recreate Brians 60s sound (only done well on the Paley sessions IMO).....he should do Gershwin in a 'Beach Boys Love you' style! Cheesy

Considering my favourite BW solo album (by far) is 'Orange crate art', I hold some hope for these albums, I want to hear more interesting jazzy orientated stuff.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 12:57:11 AM by matt-zeus » Logged

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 09, 2009, 01:06:14 AM »

Are we thinking albums of Disney classics and Gershwin fragments in that megaphone he's been blessing us with for years a la GIOMH? Smiley

I expect him to be singing in a tone similar to That Lucky Old Sun's opening track.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 09, 2009, 04:36:20 AM »

Maybe this new album of Gershwin stuff will be an excuse for Brian to release his version of Rhapsody In Blue which has been collecting dust since 1995. Smiley

Nice thought, though hopefully in the context of a bonus track so-as not to detract from a body of work that will hopefully be handled by the same producer (will BW produce this as well?), and have a coherent thematic vibe running throughout*.

* Sorry, this is a bit up-its-own-arse as phrases go. I'd just like the tracks to sound like they were all recorded contemporaneously and share an atmosphere.

Oooh, I'm wishing! Dangerous!

Agree with AGD too that this could do wonders for Brian's stature and cred. It must already have boosted his self confidence, just to be asked/invited to handle such a prestigious project.  I'm chuffed for him, I really am.

I'm also excited at the prospect of this being instrumental. One of my favourite BBs moments is hearing the isolated string quartet section from "Don't Talk" that Mark included on the PS boxed set. I could handle hours-worth of similar quality stuff.

Maybe I need a cold shower...
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 04:39:25 AM by Wee Helper » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: October 11, 2009, 10:40:40 AM »

Sorry if this was discussed before but I can't recall it:
Was the Capitol-deal just for one album (TLOS). Such a fuss was made that I thought it was fore more projects

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 11, 2009, 11:41:54 AM »

I read over at Brian's board that it was, don't know if there is much truth in that.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 11, 2009, 12:14:33 PM »

I don't think anyone -- Brian or Capitol -- ever said the deal was for more than the one album. I would say that in the record business, if no one says its for more than one, than it's just for the one.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: October 11, 2009, 03:27:04 PM »

Allright. I was just wondering because of all that "Brian is finally home"-stuff. I thought it might be like Fogerty being back on Fantasy....

- Jack Rieley
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 11, 2009, 10:12:48 PM »

Capitol/EMI have bigger problems -- like the decimation of the entire packaged music industry. I just wish Brian would go with a smaller label (like Fantasy or Anti, or any number of others) that would actually care about his longer-term career. But that argument has been made by others, with a lot more eloquence than I'm capable of right now.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 12, 2009, 01:42:04 AM »

His inability to hold down a record contract is shocking, given his name is gospel to people who almost always buy music. Maybe he keeps the facepaint close to hand....?

Surely TLOS is a win-win situation for any company - Brian and Scott recording most of it at home, minimising on costs, and Brian doesn't exactly spend much time in the studio these days, so that's ok financially. Plus, it was guranteed to sell something if you throw about the words 'Wilson', 'Parks', 'song suite' and 'california' around enough... I guess the tourings the dealbreaker

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx