gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 10:55:49 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson/Gershwin collaboration  (Read 13481 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2009, 06:37:51 AM »

I wonder what the albums will be titled?

Rhapsody in Bloo ? Roll Eyes

Ouch.....  Cheesy Cheesy
I'd go for "Sum-sum-summertime"

Seriously, the more I think about it, the more it really is exciting. I'd expected a totally different thing, but this could become something really great and important to Brian's musical legacy

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2009, 06:45:32 AM »

The bloo board is now blue, that's quite nice.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2009, 07:04:41 AM »

Am I honestly the only one who feels underwhelmed from the big announcement. To me it just seems that the BW camp had built up a little momentum with his TLOS. Gershwin and Disney  just sounds a little dated to me. I'm sure both the albums will be nice listening experiences but......meh. Rant off.

Gershwin? Dated? Did you take peyote?

You're right, I just called my mom and she said that Gershwin is in no way dated, my bad.  Wink

Nothing wrote with dated really, I mean BW's most successful solo album was 37 years old before it event got rerecorded.  Dated works with BW.

“We live in divisive times.”
SG7
« Reply #53 on: October 08, 2009, 07:04:51 AM »

In a word, wow. Should be interesting.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 08, 2009, 07:06:09 AM »

Ouch.....  Cheesy Cheesy

Seriously, the more I think about it, the more it really is exciting. I'd expected a totally different thing, but this could become something really great and important to Brian's musical legacy

Oh yeah... 'Summertime' has those alternating minor, bluesy scales and uplifting major parts. It would ideally suit Brian's approach. Think a bit of 'Walk On By', for instance... the stuff of dreams.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Thunderfingers75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2009, 07:11:58 AM »

Am I honestly the only one who feels underwhelmed from the big announcement. To me it just seems that the BW camp had built up a little momentum with his TLOS. Gershwin and Disney  just sounds a little dated to me. I'm sure both the albums will be nice listening experiences but......meh. Rant off.

Gershwin? Dated? Did you take peyote?

You're right, I just called my mom and she said that Gershwin is in no way dated, my bad.  Wink

Nothing wrote with dated really, I mean BW's most successful solo album was 37 years old before it event got rerecorded.  Dated works with BW.

Very true but that was original material.  I know that the Gershwin material holds a special place in Brians heart so that is reason enough for the album. I guess that it's just that the world already has so many Gershwin tribute projects and dont even get me started on Disney tribute albums . Anyways, just sharing my opinion, I guess I should hold off on crticism before actually hearing it. Thanks for participating in the debate.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 07:13:26 AM by Thunderfingers75 » Logged
Thunderfingers75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 08, 2009, 07:14:17 AM »

Ouch.....  Cheesy Cheesy

Oh yeah... 'Summertime' has those alternating minor, bluesy scales and uplifting major parts. It would ideally suit Brian's approach. Think a bit of 'Walk On By', for instance... the stuff of dreams.

Summertime is a great song.....alright, you're talking me into it here...
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: October 08, 2009, 07:14:52 AM »

Ouch.....  Cheesy Cheesy

Brian had his summertime (no pun) in '63:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlZpvERPlHQ
Would love to hear him doing a new version...

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 08, 2009, 07:23:41 AM »

As the L.A. Times wrote: the prospect of seeing songs credited to 'Gershwin-Wilson' borders on the enticingly surreal...

...but what will Mike Love think of all this? Will he sue George Gershwin's estate now?...

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 08, 2009, 07:32:44 AM »

It certainly beats the idea of a whole album of new Brian material. He just doesn't deliver it in those quantities anymore, and the last time he did (1988) he had like almost 10 years to stockpile songs. I hope he Brianizes things up to an extent. Then we'll debate if it was really him or Scott or Darian or...  Smiley But that's how things are. I guess some tracks will be more interesting than others.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 08, 2009, 08:26:30 AM »

it seems like Disney offered some big bucks and they took it.

What would give you the idea that this is about money?  I didn't read anything about the terms of this contract.  Where did you get this information? 

I think this sounds like something that Brian would love to do, even if just for the hell of it.  He loves Gershwin.  You know he listened to those old Disney songs, and was inspired enough by one of them to write Surfer Girl.  Brian is 67 years old now.  To me, this seems like the perfect project for a 67 year old Brian.     
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 08, 2009, 08:56:30 AM »

it seems like Disney offered some big bucks and they took it.

What would give you the idea that this is about money?  I didn't read anything about the terms of this contract.  Where did you get this information? 

Didn't really read that info anywhere about money. I have been thinking about this project and it is making more sense. At first I was like Brian singing Disney songs, what the hell, but like you said Brian was insprised by them.

Hopefully the whole thing is being done with the right intentions, which I'm now sure they are. With Bob Dylan doing a Christmas album I guess anything is possible.

I'm excited though, should be an interesting project.

shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 08, 2009, 09:22:55 AM »

It certainly beats the idea of a whole album of new Brian material.

Huh

IMO, That Lucky Old Sun is easily one of the best albums of the decade.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 08, 2009, 09:48:14 AM »

Damn!!   Embarrassed I was looking forward to Pleasure Island!!  Cry Cry Cry Why do Brian's "wifeandmanagers" keep distracting him from his "rock and roll" record???!!!!!! Angry Angry Angry  I was hoping for a "Love You 2", not a collaboration with the Evil Mouse Empire!!!

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 08, 2009, 09:58:52 AM »

He's been working on the "Rock n Roll album" for going on 12 years. It can wait another couple, especially for a project that isn't just an answer he uses to shut up interviewers.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 08, 2009, 10:02:00 AM »

He's been working on the "Rock n Roll album" for going on 12 years. It can wait another couple, especially for a project that isn't just an answer he uses to shut up interviewers.

But he could've at least picked a "less evil" company to sign with!!

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 08, 2009, 10:15:59 AM »

It certainly beats the idea of a whole album of new Brian material.

Huh

IMO, That Lucky Old Sun is easily one of the best albums of the decade.

Agreed (and by default, therefore, this millennium!)

“We live in divisive times.”
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 08, 2009, 10:22:44 AM »

Oh, I don't know. It's no Microsoft. It's also a California icon, a company he's worked with before (Monkey's Uncle!) and source of the inspiration for the first song he ever wrote. Sure, it might be evil to 20 somethings who see it as a corporate monolith, but for someone like Brian, it's an integral part of his childhood and life.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 08, 2009, 10:35:02 AM »

Things are moving fast. From the NY Times:

"A representative for Mr. Wilson said he would begin recording with his band on Oct. 18 and finish after Thanksgiving. In a statement, Mr. Wilson called the album “the most spiritual project I’ve ever worked on.”

(http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/10/08/the-boys-of-summer-brian-wilson-will-rework-george-gershwin-for-new-album/)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: October 08, 2009, 10:46:45 AM »

"A representative for Mr. Wilson said he would begin recording with his band on Oct. 18 and finish after Thanksgiving. In a statement, Mr. Wilson called the album “the most spiritual project I’ve ever worked on.”

(http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/10/08/the-boys-of-summer-brian-wilson-will-rework-george-gershwin-for-new-album/)

Tour starts October 22, finishes November 13. I think someone in Brian's organisation needs to check with the tour manager before saying stuff like this.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 08, 2009, 10:47:33 AM »

Oh, I don't know. It's no Microsoft. It's also a California icon, a company he's worked with before (Monkey's Uncle!) and source of the inspiration for the first song he ever wrote. Sure, it might be evil to 20 somethings who see it as a corporate monolith, but for someone like Brian, it's an integral part of his childhood and life.

Because a pretty, helpless, white girl will fall in love with and marry a random guy who tries making advances on her while she's sleeping!! If I tried to do what Prince Charming did, I'd be in jail!!

And, I wouldn't be surprised if Disney tried to copyright Brian as a character and sue the hell out of anyone else who tries to use his likeness!! LOL LOL LOL

Thunderfingers75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 08, 2009, 10:55:07 AM »

Tour starts October 22, finishes November 13. I think someone in Brian's organisation needs to check with the tour manager before saying stuff like this.  Grin

Now THAT is funny....
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 08, 2009, 11:05:26 AM »

Well, AGD, if they record for the 18th-2oth, and then take the time off for the tour, they could indeed finish up after Thanksgiving. That's how I read the comment -- not that the recording would be continuous over that time.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 08, 2009, 11:07:10 AM »

I'm glad to hear it's coming soon, really is there anything better than a new Brian CD.

So exciting  Smokin

TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 08, 2009, 11:26:43 AM »

This is indeed very exciting and proof there is nothing certain in the World of Wilson and nothing can be predicted...

except it will probably contain at least one occurance of the "Shorternin' Bread" riff

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx