gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 07:28:32 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Odd "Heroes And Villains" sections??  (Read 17705 times)
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 17, 2006, 03:31:09 PM »

I really don't want to get into a pissing match - we can all be civil here, I'm attacking what you're saying, not you - after all, I don't know you.  It just seemed to me that you were presupposing knowledge of acetates and mixes which no other BB "experts" like Alan, Mark, Peter, or Bob Hanes have any knowledge of.  You said "Wind Chimes received similar treatment, it received a mono mixdown by Brian in 1966, which Linett remixed and recombined for the box set."  That makes it sound like Mark remixed and recombined Wind Chimes from a Brian mono mix - if that's not what you meant, as you now say, then I guess I just misunderstood you. 

The Heroes and Villains comp tape you are referring to (that was the source of the H & V Pts. 1 & 2 sessions boot)was not put together by Brian, as had been assumed for a number of years, but by Stephen Desper and Carl Wilson when they were compiling and copying SMile tapes for a proposed 1972 release of the album.  Brian was not participating in this effort in any way - so I don't know if you can read anything into the assembly order of the H & V pieces on that tape.  I guess Carl and Stephen must have decided what order to put the fragments in - whether it was deliberately ordered so as to construct a long Heroes piece for the album, or just to preserve the fragments to be assessed and rearranged later on the eventual album, I don't know.  We should probably ask Stephen, but besides acknowledging that any such comp tape would have been assembled by himself and Carl, not Brian, I don't think he has any specific memory of the contents of the tape.  No one knows what Brian had in mind for Heroes and Villains Part 2, if such a thing existed (meaning the second side of a single).  We know there was a five to six minute version of the song that likely incorporated some of the sections we're talking about, but we don't know which ones or in what order.  One example of where the "sections" mix is certainly wrong:  "prelude to fade" is at the start of the song rather than preceeding the end/fade/tag.  We can argue what Part 2 was or wasn't - but there wasn't a Brian sequenced tape that Mark worked from is all I'm saying.
Jason
« Reply #76 on: February 17, 2006, 05:09:34 PM »

Well then I stand corrected. I'm keeping this civil.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx