gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 07:56:11 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: While we are waiting for the big news, lets talk TLOS vinyl....  (Read 3363 times)
Thunderfingers75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 07, 2009, 12:10:35 PM »

I havent purchased the vinyl version yet but am planning to, hows it sound? I just noticed that newburycomics.com is advertising the 180g vinyl with a TLOS pint glass for $19.99 sounds like a deal. Anyone seen this glass before?
http://www.newburycomics.com/rel/v2_viewupc.php?storenr=103&upc=103-1103668N&affnr=485
RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 12:12:45 PM »

I have the glass. It's pretty awesome. I'd go for it.
SG7
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 12:15:37 PM »

I liked it better on vinyl.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 12:25:24 PM »

I sadly don't have the vinyl, I live in 2009.

Tongue Kidding.

I'm still thinking about getting one.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Thunderfingers75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 12:35:09 PM »

Tongue Kidding.

I tell ya, I was in the same situation till I went to a buddies house and listened to some albums on vinyl that I had previously only heard on CD. There really is a noticeable difference in sound. I started putting my own system together right after.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 12:45:34 PM »

Tongue Kidding.

I tell ya, I was in the same situation till I went to a buddies house and listened to some albums on vinyl that I had previously only heard on CD. There really is a noticeable difference in sound. I started putting my own system together right after.

Yeah I've heard some stuff on Vinyl, with the right sound system it sounds so much better than CD

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 04:14:51 PM »

i have allways thought that vinyl was warmer than cd//dvd..as long as there is no scratches + pops.. You could buy avinyl lp in the day take it out of the sleeve perfect condition + it would have pops in it..very annoying..!
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 08:20:47 PM »

Vinyl with pint glass for 20 bucks?? I'm buying that right now.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2009, 03:55:54 AM »

When TLOS was first released I posted comparison waveforms to this forum of the CD and the vinyl, because the harsh compressed sound of the CD was criticised here.

The vinyl is still not a milestone in great record production, but it sounds vastly superior to the CD...which has been compressed during mastering almost to the point that it sounds painful. The dynamic range of the vinyl is much greater. It still sounds a bit brash in places, but its like night and day. I cannot listen to the CD.
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2009, 03:57:28 AM »

my copy doesn't play properly. seems to be warped particularly on the best songs (midnight). course I only think to return it to Amazon a year later Wall

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2009, 04:06:28 AM »

Vinyl with pint glass for 20 bucks?? I'm buying that right now.

Before this was released, didn't someone post a download of the demo version, soemthing Brian put together with Scottie at pottery class?

“We live in divisive times.”
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2009, 04:11:45 AM »

Tongue Kidding.

Yeah I've heard some stuff on Vinyl, with the right sound system it sounds so much better than CD

Reggae on vinyl sounds much better. But CD captures the dynamics of classical music better.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2009, 04:16:38 AM »

Reggae on vinyl sounds much better. But CD captures the dynamics of classical music better.

Part of the problem is that pop/popular music on CD tends to be mastered ATROCIOUSLY. In many cases the people who do the producing/mastering admit that they are squashing the dynamic range in order that the music can be heard LOUD on the radio...or that they don't care much because "its only going to end up on an iPod anyway".

Those of us who listen with a halfway decent stereo or even hi-fi system can tell the difference.

Classical music enthusiasts tend not to listen in traffic jams on iPods. They tend to have a reasonable stereo setup at home, in the quiet. So classical CDs are still mastered properly, with swooshing dynamics. Pop/popular music is just not mastered that way. It could be. It just isn't....hasn't been since the mid 1990s.

For the visual proof, here is my post

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,6074.msg99333.html#msg99333

Also see the book "Perfecting Sound Forever" by Greg milner. His book came out after my posts, but he's doing the same thing at one point...comparing waveforms of different formats or of a recording before the final mastering took place...as well as being a damned good read on the history of recording techniques.

Right....where's my Edison phonograph...
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2009, 04:24:42 AM »

Part of the problem is that pop/popular music on CD tends to be mastered ATROCIOUSLY. In many cases the people who do the producing/mastering admit that they are squashing the dynamic range in order that the music can be heard LOUD on the radio...or that they don't care much because "its only going to end up on an iPod anyway".

Those of us who listen with a halfway decent stereo or even hi-fi system can tell the difference.

Classical music enthusiasts tend not to listen in traffic jams on iPods. They tend to have a reasonable stereo setup at home, in the quiet. So classical CDs are still mastered properly, with swooshing dynamics. Pop/popular music is just not mastered that way. It could be. It just isn't....hasn't been since the mid 1990s.

For the visual proof, here is my post

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,6074.msg99333.html#msg99333

Also see the book "Perfecting Sound Forever" by Greg milner. His book came out after my posts, but he's doing the same thing at one point...comparing waveforms of different formats or of a recording before the final mastering took place...as well as being a damned good read on the history of recording techniques.

Right....where's my Edison phonograph...

Great call. Thank you.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2009, 07:53:34 PM »

I used to have an iPod cassette adapter for my car. It made everything sound terrible. TLOS sounded exactly the same!  LOL

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx