-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:47:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Endless Summer Quarterly
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Dark Retreat
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Dark Retreat  (Read 3646 times)
nobody
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 06, 2009, 01:08:08 AM »

Any Smiley Smiler's like to plunge themselves into the all-pervading velvety darkness of a dark retreat? It's a traditional mystic practice. Basically it involves staying in a room or location which is totally devoid of light. I block off the windows with several thick blankets, turn off all the electricity, block the door cracks, etc., to create this darkness or rather to remove the light.

It's intense, mysterious, strange - but beautiful. It's OK to fall asleep, too! In fact, you will have the most relaxing, death-like sleep you've ever had if it comes about through dark retreat. It's like slipping into the womb of existence and waking up in the void.

At times it can be disorienting because there is no perception of distance when there is no light. You may also trip, for lack of a better word, since it's sensory deprivation at least for one of the senses. I've had some crazy visions - while sober, mind - from this practice.

Sometimes I invite people over after midnight and we just sit silently in the darkness for about two hours. I like to think that they get intensely self-conscious and cover their genitals in fear.
nobody
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 01:17:33 AM »

I also recommend this practice as a sort of medicine or healing if you've been using too many drugs or if you've been going through stressful or depressing times. Please trust me! Remember these wise words, I am here to help you.

In using this practice as a healing, do the following:

Create that dark space
Sit, relaxed, unmoving
Breathe deeply and consciously as if for the first time for a few minutes, put emphasis on both inbreath and outbreath
Keep your eyes open for as long as possible, resist the temptation to close your eyes
Stare into the darkness, allowing the bubbling thought forms to rise and then dissolve into the ether
Feel the darkness as a presence, not an absence, and merge with it
When you feel sleepiness approaching, gently slip into sleep
When you wake up, don't rush to put on a light!
Get re-acquainted with the darkness for at least 15 more minutes
Then put on a light

Following these directions will reveal to you a relaxation you had not known before, and a silence and seriousness in your mind that gives great clarity to your life.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 03:20:50 AM »

I prefer a cup of tea, personally.That first sip directs me to relaxation i had not know before, and also a silence and seriousness in my mind that gives me great clarity to my life. I have it with milk and sugar, i think that's the secret.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
nobody
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 11:23:50 AM »

I prefer a cup of tea, personally.That first sip directs me to relaxation i had not know before, and also a silence and seriousness in my mind that gives me great clarity to my life. I have it with milk and sugar, i think that's the secret.

True, tea in its slow pacing is good for relaxation, and the effects of it bring clarity and alertness to a tired mind, but it's nothing compared to a dark retreat.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 11:42:06 AM »

I used to need to turn my bedroom into what you call a "dark retreat" in order to go to sleep at night. College, though, led me to frequently not getting to bed until the daylight hours, so I eventually got used to it. At first I would need to sleep with a pillow over my head. I've found, though, that if I'm tired enough, I can fall asleep anywhere. I've fallen asleep standing up next to a speaker at a concert before.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
nobody
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 12:15:41 PM »

I used to need to turn my bedroom into what you call a "dark retreat" in order to go to sleep at night. College, though, led me to frequently not getting to bed until the daylight hours, so I eventually got used to it. At first I would need to sleep with a pillow over my head. I've found, though, that if I'm tired enough, I can fall asleep anywhere. I've fallen asleep standing up next to a speaker at a concert before.

narcolepsy is a bitch
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: