gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680852 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 08:49:28 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Carl's "The Grammy" - who won the Grammy?  (Read 4291 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2009, 10:39:31 AM »

Earlier in the thread, Billy Joel was mentioned.  Jerry Schilling, one of the Memphis Mafia, served as Billy Joel's tour manager in 1975 & 1976 during periods when he wasn't on the road with Elvis.  As a lot of you know, by 1977 Carl asked him to serve as the BB's tour manager.  This was due to Carl seeing Billy & Jerry together when Billy opened for the BB, so it's likely all three were friends.  

Jerry & Carl were especially close.  Myrna Smith, co-writer of The Grammy, was one of the Sweet Inspirations who backed Elvis from 1969--1977, & she was Jerry's wife.

This goes off-topic, I know, but two weeks ago Jerry was interviewed on Sirius Elvis Radio, & he talked about his time with the BB for awhile, including Dennis singing "Young & Beautiful" from Jailhouse Rock at Elvis's gravesite,  Dennis's love for the Special Olympics, Brian meeting Elvis in the studio in 1975, & other interesting stories.

Very interesting. I only heard about Dennis breaking down crying at Elvis' grave from MBE. "Young & beautiful" is a very lovely song and although I don't think Dennis' voice was fitting it too well, I'd love to hear him sing it, even if just for personal reasons.
For everyone who might not know the song, go here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8jnKFQuoHc
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 10:41:09 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx