gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681108 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 23, 2024, 06:52:27 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Any ideas on when a SMiLE box set will come out?  (Read 17889 times)
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2009, 04:42:39 PM »

1) However would the fact that Brian is now signed to Capitol, grease the wheels of a proposed Smile box release a bit, or have no bearing (scuse the pun) on it?

2) You'd have to have at least a portion of the box set out as a playable sequenced album, for the fans like me that don't want to drag through endless session material.

3) Personally I think you can't disregard BWPS

1) I really believe Capitol Records will EVENTUALLY be the tool that gets the wheel spinning. They'll come up with some attractive offer and negotiations will begin. It can only benefit much of the back catalogue - which they own.

2) I think iy is very possible to assemble and sequence a fulfilling single CD SMiLE comp. I'd like to see the "most finished" track of each song represented. Obviously, that would be somebody's opinion. I think there are a few experts out there who could do a good job.

3) I would ignore as much of BWPS as possible. BWPS was assembled and sequenced by Darian for a live performance.
Wilsonista
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2009, 06:25:22 PM »

3) I would ignore as much of BWPS as possible. BWPS was assembled and sequenced by Darian for a live performance.

"What do you mean by 'Darian's fanmix'?" was the response a slightly annoyed Darian shot back when he was asked whether or not BWPS was illegitimate. 

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,2325.msg45495.html#msg45495

The whole live performance thing went out the window, the moment Brian asked VDP to help with the piece. The game plan changed when VDP and Brian began adding to things like Worms and Holidays and Child.  It is my opinion (my opinion only), that the "we're just doing a live performance"  was so that Brian wouldn't balk at revisiting the music.  If he was told "you're going to finish SMiLE", no amount of wife and manager prodding would have made him do it. And why should it? The idea of finishing SMiLE was born the moment Brian's solo career started.  Hell, Joe Thomas was asked during his involvement with Brian to do what Darian wound up doing with that  music! 
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2009, 12:59:50 PM »

1) However would the fact that Brian is now signed to Capitol, grease the wheels of a proposed Smile box release a bit, or have no bearing (scuse the pun) on it?

2) You'd have to have at least a portion of the box set out as a playable sequenced album, for the fans like me that don't want to drag through endless session material.

3) Personally I think you can't disregard BWPS

I strongly disagree with this. Even if Brian had nothing to do with the sequencing or newly written parts (which I don't believe at all), the simple fact that it is presented as his re-working would make it odd if a Smile box totally ignored BWPS. Unless a sessions release was purely just a sessions release, and did not attempt to organise the sessions into a 'playable album'. I think as soon as you get into that playable album thing, then the BWPS sequence has to be acknowledged, whether Brian's involvement was real or faked.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
SG7
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2009, 01:33:51 PM »

"What do you mean by 'Darian's fanmix'?" was the response a slightly annoyed Darian shot back when he was asked whether or not BWPS was illegitimate. 

Wow! Someone had the nerve to say that? Sheesh!
Wilsonista
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2009, 03:25:13 PM »

Wow! Someone had the nerve to say that? Sheesh!

Katie, the post I linked was my own post.
SG7
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2009, 03:32:59 PM »

Yes I did see that, but I was referring to the question that was asked to Darian  in it. It just kind of set me back for a second. I still think he never got the credit he deserved. Whether he wants it or not is another story, but when BWPS came out there was all this I don't know what is the right word but anger it seems? Almost that people wanted to keep Smile as this kind of myth that only the music novices could whisper about and keep the bootleg in their secret cabinets. Then nitpicking it to death how it wasn't like what they wanted Smile to sound like. Darian did an amazing job given the task and what a burden to have. I guess the question that could rise relating to the question of the topic, is having a Smile boxset come out would damage what BWPS tried to set up? Would it's importance be damned? Would people forget about BWPS if this came out? These are the kind of things I think about it related to this topic.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2009, 08:27:21 PM »

Yes I did see that, but I was referring to the question that was asked to Darian  in it. It just kind of set me back for a second. I still think he never got the credit he deserved. Whether he wants it or not is another story, but when BWPS came out there was all this I don't know what is the right word but anger it seems? Almost that people wanted to keep Smile as this kind of myth that only the music novices could whisper about and keep the bootleg in their secret cabinets. Then nitpicking it to death how it wasn't like what they wanted Smile to sound like. Darian did an amazing job given the task and what a burden to have. I guess the question that could rise relating to the question of the topic, is having a Smile boxset come out would damage what BWPS tried to set up? Would it's importance be damned? Would people forget about BWPS if this came out? These are the kind of things I think about it related to this topic.

Katie, I think you hit upon the main reasons why Brian doesn't want a Smile box set to come out.  He wants BWPS to stand as his final thought on the subject, and probably worries that releasing the sessions would undermine the work he did in 2003-04.  I don't think BWPS would be forgotten necessarily, but its status as Brian's "finished" version of Smile would be dented, since the "myth" angle would again be in play.  It's certainly much harder to release a Smile box set in a post-BWPS world, given these issues.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2009, 06:11:37 AM »

Yes I did see that, but I was referring to the question that was asked to Darian  in it. It just kind of set me back for a second. I still think he never got the credit he deserved. Whether he wants it or not is another story, but when BWPS came out there was all this I don't know what is the right word but anger it seems? Almost that people wanted to keep Smile as this kind of myth that only the music novices could whisper about and keep the bootleg in their secret cabinets. Then nitpicking it to death how it wasn't like what they wanted Smile to sound like. Darian did an amazing job given the task and what a burden to have. I guess the question that could rise relating to the question of the topic, is having a Smile boxset come out would damage what BWPS tried to set up? Would it's importance be damned? Would people forget about BWPS if this came out? These are the kind of things I think about it related to this topic.

Katie, I think you hit upon the main reasons why Brian doesn't want a Smile box set to come out.  He wants BWPS to stand as his final thought on the subject, and probably worries that releasing the sessions would undermine the work he did in 2003-04.  I don't think BWPS would be forgotten necessarily, but its status as Brian's "finished" version of Smile would be dented, since the "myth" angle would again be in play.  It's certainly much harder to release a Smile box set in a post-BWPS world, given these issues.

Brian could care less about BWPS. It's in his past, done with. Next please. His management think that a release of the original sessions would somehow undermine the 2004 release... but then, they were the people also saying that BWPS would go gold early in 2005. Capitol have been salivating to release a Smile Sessions 1966-67 box since the late 90s, correctly assuming that such a release would be a major event which has a guaranteed sales level.

The Gershwin/Disney project has probably put such a release back maybe three years, but it will happen.

Did I say "release" enough times ?  Grin
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 06:15:14 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2009, 09:25:12 AM »

Capitol have been salivating to release a Smile Sessions 1966-67 box since the late 90s, correctly assuming that such a release would be a major event which has a guaranteed sales level.
The Gershwin/Disney project has probably put such a release back maybe three years, but it will happen.

Agree that the Disney announcement has probably put the project back but worry that the Capitol peeps will probably sigh and reckon "well, we might as well wait for the 50th anniversary now".  Unless the prospect of copyright expiry forces their hand to act earlier.

“We live in divisive times.”
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2009, 09:38:17 AM »

Capitol have been salivating to release a Smile Sessions 1966-67 box since the late 90s, correctly assuming that such a release would be a major event which has a guaranteed sales level.

Agree that the Disney announcement has probably put the project back but worry that the Capitol peeps will probably sigh and reckon "well, we might as well wait for the 50th anniversary now".  Unless the prospect of copyright expiry forces their hand to act earlier.

When will the material move over into public domain? Or: can it, since it's unreleased stuff?

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2009, 10:20:45 AM »

Almost that people wanted to keep Smile as this kind of myth that only the music novices could whisper about and keep the bootleg in their secret cabinets. Then nitpicking it to death how it wasn't like what they wanted Smile to sound like.
Bullshit.

I could also say... Almost that those who love BWPS do so because they want it to be a happy ending to a myth that they created, that Smile is the most important thing in Brian's life, his masterpiece, the failure that sent him to bed, and completing it has healed the poor guy and now the angels are standing behind him again.

See how unfair it sounds? Let people voice opinions about music they listened to.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2009, 10:54:29 AM »

When will the material move over into public domain? Or: can it, since it's unreleased stuff?

The copyright on the  Smile material expires 70 years after Brian dies. So, roughly 2090-2100.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
SG7
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2009, 01:23:06 PM »

I'm NOT saying it's bad to have different opinions. I don't frequent here often so I never have too much time in dabble in deep arguments of the like. Is it right to say however that there WERE people that did these kinds of things? Is it wrong to simply point that out? To each their own I guess. In the end it is just an opinion, it doesn't end the world.
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2009, 04:25:54 PM »

Is it wrong to simply point that out?
No, just unnecessary.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2009, 04:36:54 PM »

Brrrgh! I like the original Smile sessions best (stomp stomp stomp)

BWPS is a travesty! (stomp stomp stomp)

Anyone who even suggests it might be Brian Wilson's final thoughts on the matter is an easily led ninny! (stomp stomp stomp)

Brggh! Raugh! I am the Smile monster!
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2009, 04:51:41 PM »

I'd be perfectly happy with a 180 gram vinly release of the original Smile, all stitched together nice and neat with the original Frank Holmes gatefold cover (was it going to be a gatefold?) and booklet!

Then I could stick it right in there between Pet Sounds and Wild Honey, and all would be right with the universe!  Grin
variable2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2009, 06:19:47 PM »

Anyone who even suggests it might be Brian Wilson's final thoughts on the matter is an easily led ninny! (stomp stomp stomp)

LOL
Jason
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2009, 06:58:12 PM »

You know you'll get hemorrhoids doing that, right?
SG7
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2009, 08:21:36 PM »

I wanna meet the TLOS  monster now!  LOL LOL
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2009, 08:24:14 PM »

I've met him and it wasn't pretty!

Only Luther might get the joke!  Evil
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2009, 11:34:16 AM »

I wanna meet the TLOS  monster now!  LOL LOL

It's probably not as ferocious as the GIOMH monster!!

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2009, 12:46:54 PM »

Brian could care less about BWPS.

Nobody has responded to this. Interesting....
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2009, 03:43:39 PM »

I've met him and it wasn't pretty!

Only Luther might get the joke!  Evil
That Lucky Ol' Me.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2009, 01:55:12 AM »

The copyright on the  Smile material expires 70 years after Brian dies. So, roughly 2090-2100.

Oh dear... oh my. Then let's hope the Sheriff's prediction of a 50th anniversary set really does come true.

“We live in divisive times.”
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2009, 03:32:18 AM »

I AM THE SUMMER IN PARADISE MONSTER GRRRR...

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx