gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681027 Posts in 27628 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 16, 2024, 08:11:03 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What did the Wrecking Crew think of Brian's way of recording?  (Read 5988 times)
nobody
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 04, 2009, 10:23:26 PM »

Specifically I mean doing small pieces at a time that obviously belong to a bigger thing. Seems like they were more used to going in the studio and cutting full tracks, start to finish, no? I mean, what was the studio atmosphere like (it's hard to tell just from listening to the sessions since no one can be seen)? Since I've never seen a video of those musicians recording with Brian, I only have a mental image of it that's probably so far from the truth. I don't know ... I don't really think of faces being behind the music. Like I can't imagine some guy with his own personality and individuality playing, say, the banjo on Cabinessence. I just hear it being played and that's that.

Anyone got any quotes from any of those musicians on anything like Good Vibes? that was the first track Brian did in that recording style, right? so they must've heard the final product and been well impressed knowing that parts were from various sessions and it all came together so flawlessly.

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 10:59:03 PM »

Did they only actually record 30 second bits? I was under the impression they recorded endless iterations of two or three minute tracks, and then Brian cut them up and mixed and matched.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
nobody
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 11:07:44 PM »

Did they only actually record 30 second bits? I was under the impression they recorded endless iterations of two or three minute tracks, and then Brian cut them up and mixed and matched.

They did it piece by piece.

Take Cabinessence for example ... they would do the verse sections, that would be one session. Then another session for chorus, etc.

This was part of the difficulty of assembling SMiLE ... a lot of work involved in piecing all those together, splicing all that tape
A Million Units In Jan!
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 01:58:55 AM »

Hal Blaine has said that sometimes they'd go in for 5 minutes, then another time for 5 hours. While I don't think that they ever really went in for only 5 minutes, the jist of it is you never knew if it would be a quick session or a long, drawn out one. And even a thirty second piece of music could take hours to record, if you want it to be perfect. Anyway you cut it, I believe most of them used to really like Brian's sessions, because they all got along so well-they all thought Brian was a great kid.
GLarson432
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 02:21:27 AM »

One of the books on the Beach Boys says that there were 90 hours of tape used and about 70 hours actual music recorded for Good Vibratioms.  Estimtes I've read go from $38 to $50 thousand dollars in 1966.  Considered the most expemsive 3:36 minute song of all time.

Or any length song.

But what do I know?
Big Bri
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 05:12:07 AM »

Nobody,
  There's a Pet Sound booklet as part of the Pet Sounds box set that has very detailed accounts from members of the Wrecking Crew on what they played and how Brian approached recording.
  Especially interesting is Carol Kaye's song by song description of who played what and each part that was played.
  The booklet inside the box set is a must read for those interested in how it all came together.

Bri
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 07:31:57 AM »

Look at how many times Bicycle Rider theme was recorded..My favorite ones are the music box one...Jewelery sounds..When Bw was recording SMILE i think he got lost in the puzzle..
The infamous Baldwin Organ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 08:34:52 AM »

I can't speak for the Wrecking Crew musicians, but as a musician myself, I'd feel worse for the engineer who would have to assemble all of the different sections!

If you play an instrument, and someone hands you a part to play, you generally would just play it and not worry about much else.

If the producer is happy, the musician is likely happy to just take the check. Obviously, it would pretty sweet to hear the final product of how all of these little parts made sense together though.  Smiley
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2009, 09:10:18 AM »

Keep in mind that the much-vaunted "modular recording" method wasn't by any means the only way Brian recorded. We're talking about a couple of years, here, not his whole career. So much of the time, the musicians were recording entire songs, or larger segments of songs, just like anyone else.

As far as what the session musicians thought of it, they were being paid. I doubt they cared all that much. The general impression from the countless interviews you can find on the subject in various documentaries and promotional materials is that they thought he was increasingly goofy but respected Brian's talent and were happy to be there. But mostly that a gig is a gig is a gig. (As long as you don't have Phil Spector pointing a gun at you, I'd guess it's all good.)

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009, 09:55:56 AM »

Specifically I mean doing small pieces at a time that obviously belong to a bigger thing. Seems like they were more used to going in the studio and cutting full tracks, start to finish, no? I mean, what was the studio atmosphere like (it's hard to tell just from listening to the sessions since no one can be seen)? Since I've never seen a video of those musicians recording with Brian, I only have a mental image of it that's probably so far from the truth. I don't know ... I don't really think of faces being behind the music. Like I can't imagine some guy with his own personality and individuality playing, say, the banjo on Cabinessence. I just hear it being played and that's that.

Anyone got any quotes from any of those musicians on anything like Good Vibes? that was the first track Brian did in that recording style, right? so they must've heard the final product and been well impressed knowing that parts were from various sessions and it all came together so flawlessly.

OK... if you really cannot divine from the session tapes the atmosphere in the studio, then I have to conclude that you are indeed a troll. Listen to what they guys (and gal) are saying... listen to their interactions with Brian. The quotes you crave are in those session tapes. And try doing some research of your own before asking here.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2009, 09:57:54 AM »

They did it piece by piece.

Take Cabinessence for example ... they would do the verse sections, that would be one session. Then another session for chorus, etc.

This was part of the difficulty of assembling SMiLE ... a lot of work involved in piecing all those together, splicing all that tape

The only sessions where Brian pieced a final master out of separate sections were Pet Sounds, "Good Vibrations" and Smile. All the other albums, the tracks were played right through.

nobody
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2009, 10:30:57 AM »

OK... if you really cannot divine from the session tapes the atmosphere in the studio, then I have to conclude that you are indeed a troll. Listen to what they guys (and gal) are saying... listen to their interactions with Brian. The quotes you crave are in those session tapes. And try doing some research of your own before asking here.

Oh get lost, you're the troll.

First of all - you can't see anything! I hear people playing but I don't see them. Are they frowning? Are they smiling? Are they scratching their nuts? Are they giving Brian a long face each time he says let's take it again? Etc etc etc. On the tapes you hear a few people talking and practicing their parts and then the take of the song. f*** you - trolling, what a load of horse sh*t Was a perfectly legitimate thread and questions.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2009, 10:58:41 AM »

As others have said, there is a lot out there to read about the Wrecking Crew and their thoughts on Brian.  Big Bri had the best advice regarding the Pet Sounds box set...it's worth owning for many reasons, but the booklet with interviews is golden.

Luther makes a good point too, in that the musicians probably didn't care how they were being recorded or if what they were being asked to play was weird.  They were hired guns, and they played whatever they were asked to play.  They all admired Brian, so I doubt they were too bothered by the way Brian was recording during "Good Vibrations" and Smile.  I'm sure some sessions exhausted them, but that's true when recording just about anything. 

At the end of the day, what matters is that they did their work brilliantly and gave Brian what he wanted.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2009, 11:33:20 AM »

Oh get lost, you're the troll.

First of all - you can't see anything! I hear people playing but I don't see them. Are they frowning? Are they smiling? Are they scratching their nuts? Are they giving Brian a long face each time he says let's take it again? Etc etc etc. On the tapes you hear a few people talking and practicing their parts and then the take of the song. foda you - trolling, what a load of horse merda Was a perfectly legitimate thread and questions.

My point is proven.  Grin

Your real name wouldn't be Andreas Gossweiler, by any chance ?

TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2009, 11:52:29 AM »

AGD, I know you probably know but Brian also routinely cut "insert" sections for songs...meaning he'd do one large chunk of a song in one take with or without the crew, but the rest would be done seperately. Example: The beginning intro and end to "I'm So Young" were cut on their own, also the end of "I'm Waiting for the Day."

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2009, 03:30:16 PM »

No problem, nobody. Nothing wrong with doing research on a message board. What better or more convenient place to learn about a group. You'll probably get more info than in many of the books or documentaries anyway. If I don't want to read or respond to your post or question(s), all I have to do is scroll down. Takes about two seconds.

One interesting thing I read was that the musicians would be not exactly questioning Brian but wondering if what they playing would "work"; it was so out there. Then when all the parts would come together, they would go, "Oh, NOW I see why he (Brian) wanted that part played...".
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2009, 04:18:47 PM »

One interesting thing I read was that the musicians would be not exactly questioning Brian but wondering if what they playing would "work"; it was so out there. Then when all the parts would come together, they would go, "Oh, NOW I see why he (Brian) wanted that part played...".

I remember reading that too.  It really speaks to Brian's foresight and skills as an arranger to be able to see the final picture like that.  He was most certainly a master at intertwining instruments and vocal parts to great effect.
sleeptalk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2009, 06:20:04 PM »

One of the books on the Beach Boys says that there were 90 hours of tape used and about 70 hours actual music recorded for Good Vibratioms.  Estimtes I've read go from $38 to $50 thousand dollars in 1966.  Considered the most expemsive 3:36 minute song of all time.

Or any length song.

But what do I know?

i doubt this record still holds true. in this day and age of paid guest vocal spots, producers, songwriters et al, i imagine lots of pop hip-hop tracks have astronomical pricetags nowadays. i know there's inflation at play and all, but lil wayne charges a minimum of $75,000 just for guest spotting a verse on a track. more often than not, he charges upwards of $100,000 for the appearance of his voice on a song.
variable2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2009, 06:27:00 PM »

what is your problem, guy?  go get some fresh air.. maybe take a break from the beach boys for a while?
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2009, 06:56:56 PM »

what is your problem, guy?  go get some fresh air.. maybe take a break from the beach boys for a while?
I'm with AGD on this one. Maybe Nobody could start a new message board dedicated to people who don't actually care enough about something to research it themselves. Obviously we all welcome newbies and their questions but this guy is fuckin' ridiculous man!

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
sleeptalk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2009, 07:18:46 PM »

I'm with AGD on this one. Maybe Nobody could start a new message board dedicated to people who don't actually care enough about something to research it themselves. Obviously we all welcome newbies and their questions but this guy is fuckin' ridiculous man!

if you wanna answer the guy's questions, do it. if you don't, shut up already.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2009, 08:38:59 PM »

There are a lot of annoying/unpleasant things about nobody (that picture of dog poop he posted, for one), but I think people are using that as an excuse to attack him when he does perfectly legitimate things. I don't see anything wrong with him starting this thread.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2009, 08:51:30 PM »

I think it's the multiple threads per day...many on subjects that have been covered ad nauseam here, that's pissing people off.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2009, 09:18:27 PM »

This thing that we're all on here is called a messageboard. We all exchange messages to different people. Quite a few of these messages have this thing called "information". Part of a messageboard's function is to exchange said information. AGD, I respect you probably more than any other Beach Boys fan/expert out there. But there comes a time when you must occasionally come down from your high horse. Not everybody knows as much as you do at any particular part of the day at a mere drop of the hat.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2009, 09:44:41 PM »

This thing that we're all on here is called a messageboard. We all exchange messages to different people. Quite a few of these messages have this thing called "information". Part of a messageboard's function is to exchange said information. AGD, I respect you probably more than any other Beach Boys fan/expert out there. But there comes a time when you must occasionally come down from your high horse. Not everybody knows as much as you do at any particular part of the day at a mere drop of the hat.

You're right, I can get sniffy real quick (bad habit of mine)... but my point here is that actually listening to the session tapes - which requires minimal effort - tells you everything you need to know about what the session cats thought of Brian. Everyone's having fun, Brian's taking onboard their ideas and suggestions, he's joking, the vibes are loose and good. But that's not enough for the poster in question - they want more. It's a very subtle form of trolling, like a seven year old having something explained to them yet continually asking "but why ?"... and just as irritating. "Not good enough... want videos... can't see anything...".

Someone else in this thread suggested I took a break from things BB-ish for a while. The idea has merit right now.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx