gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681029 Posts in 27628 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 16, 2024, 11:21:06 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: brian is on crack  (Read 2968 times)
nobody
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 04, 2009, 08:24:25 PM »

Read this:

Quote : Wilson, a famously odd mix of genuine humility, shyness and enormous faith in his gifts, is pleased with the way the new Smile came out. “Oh, I think it’s a masterpiece. On the new album, the pitch is a lot better, the musicianship is far superior to the session musicians that I used back in those days.” http://www.bluefat.com/0905/Brian_Wilson.htm

What's up with this? The original tapes capture something beyond the musicianship (which is great anyway) - doesn't Brian hear it?

“I think of Phil Spector as the god of music, and I think he influenced the way I wrote music to some degree. I’m not saying he wrote my music for me; he influenced the way I thought about music." This is new to me ... has Brian ever thought of himself as a medium for the Great Spirit otherwise known as Spector? Just as Muhammad received the song of the Qur'an from Angel Gabriel, so did Brian receive his songs from Harvey Phillip Spector?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 08:25:18 PM by nobody » Logged
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 08:27:18 PM »

Brian is not currently (to my knowledge) on crack, but years of drugs and mental illness and emotional abuse have made him sometimes (okay, most of the time) say pretty weird things. He's obsessed with Spector

Now Smile as a "Teenage Symphony to God" makes sense, because God is Spector!  Why do you think he loves the Spector Christmas album the best of all? It's religious Spector music.

Either that, or he just likes sleighbells.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 08:28:12 PM by Aegir » Logged

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
nobody
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 08:29:19 PM »

Now Smile as a "Teenage Symphony to God" makes sense, because God is Spector!  Why do you think he loves the Spector Christmas album the best of all? It's religious Spector music.

Aegir, I think you just cracked the Brian Code!

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 08:57:08 PM »

Eh. Is Brian supposed to release "his masterpiece" to the press claiming that the original tapes are better?

It's like bands and new albums - every time they have a new album coming out, they say it's their best work.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 09:57:44 PM »

Eh. Is Brian supposed to release "his masterpiece" to the press claiming that the original tapes are better?

It's like bands and new albums - every time they have a new album coming out, they say it's their best work.

I think that's definitely a part of it, but also I think that Brian makes these negative comments about the original sessions because they bring back bad memories for him.  It seems to me that Brian allows those bad memories about that time period to permiate into his feelings about the music itself.  Maybe I'm wrong, but I just think there's more to it than Brian wanting to sell BWPS by putting down the original sessions.
nobody
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 10:07:35 PM »

I think that's definitely a part of it, but also I think that Brian makes these negative comments about the original sessions because they bring back bad memories for him.  It seems to me that Brian allows those bad memories about that time period to permiate into his feelings about the music itself.  Maybe I'm wrong, but I just think there's more to it than Brian wanting to sell BWPS by putting down the original sessions.

The author of that article/interview raised an interesting point, or shed some light on an existing point, which I hadn't fully considered until I read it. In talking about Fire ("Mrs O'Leary's Cow" in the article) he mentioned that Brian was afraid of the power of the music because he had been witness to how quickly things really exploded for him due to his music in the first place. As the article says, from writing songs on his piano at home to being a world wide success and star, all due to music that he created. This really is an interesting point and worth considering for anyone, and when we also remember that Brian was using drugs at the time, not to mention going through the natural phases of development of a human being, it must have been a very difficult issue to resolve. If Fire, which as Brian says in the interview, is the sound of an insane mind (it sounds a lot like intense psychological crisis's and bad psychedelic experiences), encoded into such powerful music, then what influence will it have on the EARTH? If "Surfer Girl" had people all over the world feeling good, what would "Fire" do? Really, literally, burn the planet down? I could see how he seriously thought this. So to his mind the old sessions represent all this uncertainty, a sort of instability in the use of his musical powers. Should it be used for good or bad? If for good, why am I making this track that sounds like a complete psychological breakdown? What if all of these songs are heading in that direction? Etc. So his memories of recording these tracks, i.e., seeing his vision come to life through sound, the musicians wearing firehats in the studio, a burning bucket, etc., it's deeply connected to all that uncertainty and what happened soon after.

One of my major complaints about BWPS is that it has none of the slightly darker edge that the originals had. There is an unmistakable presence there in the old tapes that is not there in the new. And I think that presence is that state of mind which IS unstable, IS weird, IS very eccentric, IS inclining towards madness in many ways ("swedish frog" anyone?) and that state of mind is the one Brian's been trying to recover from ever since it seems, going through hell to get to the manageable state he seems to have been in for a while.

This post was written totally unedited and I haven't re-read a single word so whatever. 
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2009, 10:15:44 PM »

I'm sure I've told this story before, but the first time I was listening to BWPS, I was in my car. Mrs. O'Leary's Cow freaked me out so bad because I didn't realize the sounds were coming from the CD. I thought there was a horrible chaos happening somewhere up the road.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
nobody
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2009, 10:18:14 PM »

I'm sure I've told this story before, but the first time I was listening to BWPS, I was in my car. Mrs. O'Leary's Cow freaked me out so bad because I didn't realize the sounds were coming from the CD. I thought there was a horrible chaos happening somewhere up the road.

haha, that's great! lucky you didn't crash. if Brian heard about that he'd kill himself.
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2009, 07:27:09 AM »

around the time BWPS came out i had to take some old rigs back to tacoma + bring brand new rigs back to Fontana ca...One time i had another driver with me back in the bunk..i drove at nite + i would play unreleased SMILE stuff on system..The guy woke up one night + said..Was is that S**T. Sounds like a horror film + its givin me NIGHTMARES..!!..Terrible stuff..Turn it off..!....I just busted up laughing my head off..I was playing Mrs.O'Learys cow//Fire.
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009, 07:36:09 AM »

I read that Brian heard 3 voices in his head.  One was Murry, the other was Spector, & I forget who the third was.  But, yeah, to Brian, apparently, Spector is a larger-than-life figure. 

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2009, 08:12:57 AM »

I read that Brian heard 3 voices in his head.  One was Murry, the other was Spector, & I forget who the third was.  But, yeah, to Brian, apparently, Spector is a larger-than-life figure. 

Third was, IIRC, the devil.
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2009, 08:59:34 AM »

No, I mentioned Murry already.

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2009, 09:30:59 AM »

No, I mentioned Murry already.

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2009, 09:53:18 AM »

("swedish frog" anyone?)

Can anyone explain to me why this little section is always cited when people are going on about how "weird" or "dark" the Smile stuff is? It's just one small section, and I doubt it would have been used in any final edit of "Heroes and Villains".
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 09:57:02 AM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
SG7
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2009, 10:31:03 AM »

I thought Danny Hutton was one of the voices too.

nobody
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2009, 10:33:51 AM »

("swedish frog" anyone?)

Can anyone explain to me why this little section is always cited when people are going on about how "weird" or "dark" the Smile stuff is? It's just one small section, and I doubt it would have been used in any final edit of "Heroes and Villains".

Can you imagine it on BWPS? There you go.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2009, 10:45:45 AM »

("swedish frog" anyone?)

Can you imagine it on BWPS? There you go.

Yeah I wouldn't really call that section "dark," but it's certainly weird, far too weird for BWPS. 

Nobody really knows if it would have been used, but as I recall it was determined by Mark Linett that Brian would have used it for Heroes and Villains Part 2, based on its location on a reel he found.
nobody
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2009, 12:04:27 AM »

Nobody really knows if it would have been used, but as I recall it was determined by Mark Linett that Brian would have used it for Heroes and Villains Part 2, based on its location on a reel he found.

There is no doubt in my mynd that it would have been used. Swedish Frog is the prayer that follows Surf's Up at the end of the album.
Jason
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2009, 04:28:13 PM »

For what it's worth, every fragment in the "sections" edit of H&V exists in some form on any number of comp reels of work done on H&V during December and January of 1967.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx