gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681025 Posts in 27628 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 16, 2024, 05:05:45 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: brian is back  (Read 4224 times)
sleeptalk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 04, 2009, 03:41:45 PM »

heart-warming song, or mushy embarrassment? sweet gesture from mike, or just an opportunist marketing ploy? the best song to quote passages from previous beach boys songs, or does "smart girls" have it beat?

you decide...
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 03:49:34 PM »

I don't like it.

The best song to quote pervious lyrics is "Do It Again."

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
sleeptalk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 04:36:22 PM »

ahh! good point.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 05:09:25 PM »

...or just an opportunist marketing ploy?

Do you know of plan that Mike Love had to release it as a single?

I think it's a well-intentioned song, with a good melody and touching lyrics, with a fine vocal by Carl. While it would've been nice to include it on 15 Big Ones or even MIU, it would've been awkward for Brian, drawing even more attention to his fleeting "comeback". I think the song is where it belongs, a good choice for a comp of unreleased songs.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 06:10:26 PM »

Like the background vox, otherwise...meh.
nobody
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 06:44:52 PM »

i've never actually sat down and listened to it

i kind of ignore that period of the band except Love You which i think was of the same period

my favorite period is basically from the Today! album through Surf's Up, but I like a select few things from before and after, and I enjoy the story of the early Beach Boys a lot, i just don't like most of the music except some songs like The Warmth of the Sun
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2009, 07:29:00 PM »

just never liked Mike sing: "not to mention ol' Pet Sounds"   

YUCK

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
sleeptalk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2009, 07:48:45 PM »

just never liked Mike sing: "not to mention ol' Pet Sounds"   

YUCK

lol, didn't even realize that was a lyric. that's foul.
nobody
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2009, 07:54:44 PM »

personally i think that mike secretly adores Pet Sounds and puts it on and cries to it perhaps nightly, he's just too tough to admit it

plus, mike sang so sweetly, capturing the mood of "that's not me" so damn well, it goes beyond professionalism

this is my belief in general, that mike loves all of brian's music, just that he finds some of it uncommercial. wasn't there some discussion here or elsewhere about mike humming the melody to "wonderful" in recent years off stage at a concert or something like that? "wonderful" is uncommercial and weird despite its apparent prettiness, the whole structure of the song is deceptive, it's like something out of Alice in Wonderland

i have successfully derailed this thread from a crappy song to a wonderful song
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 07:56:04 PM by nobody » Logged
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2009, 08:06:37 PM »

a wonderful song
Pun intended?

Anyway, apparently Brian's Back is a song that Mike was really sincere about. Mike's first daughter Melinda posted somewhere (maybe this board) that he played Brian's Back for her on acoustic guitar and had to hold back tears.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2009, 08:13:23 PM »

I've always liked the song and it would never occur to me to take it at anything but face value. To me it's totally warm and sincere, especially given that it stayed pretty much in the shadows for so long.

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
nobody
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2009, 08:15:17 PM »

there's another one, can you spot it? both totally unintended, but awesome
SG7
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2009, 08:36:49 PM »

Goes in the sucky department next to Endless Harmony  Evil
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2009, 10:02:41 PM »

a wonderful song
Pun intended?

Anyway, apparently Brian's Back is a song that Mike was really sincere about. Mike's first daughter Melinda posted somewhere (maybe this board) that he played Brian's Back for her on acoustic guitar and had to hold back tears.

I don't recall reading that story, but if true I would have to admit I'm a bit surprised at Mike's sincerity.  The song has always seemed so contrived, given the context of the whole "Brian's Back" campaign.  I never doubted that there was some love (no pun intended) behind the song, but I would never have guessed that it held such emotional importance to Mike.

I actually don't mind the song too much, cheesy as it may be at times.  The Boys have put out far worse.
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2009, 11:16:17 PM »

I think it's a so-so to good song. The lyrics could be less cheesy, but well, Pet Sounds wasn't as overhyped in the mid to laet seventies as today, so the allusion is a good moment. Mike wrote (or co-wrote) a fine bunch of songs, if not stelar, in '78.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2009, 07:15:07 AM »

i personally like the song.. i just wish all the BB sang on it..
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2009, 08:42:33 AM »

anyone find it wierd that Mike re-recorded this for his "newest" album?  i find the EH version to be the definative version

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2009, 08:52:41 AM »

anyone find it wierd that Mike re-recorded this for his "newest" album?  i find the EH version to be the definative version

I find it even weirder that Brian of all people once produced another version of this song for the BB.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2009, 10:36:45 AM »

anyone find it wierd that Mike re-recorded this for his "newest" album?
Brian was actually back in 2004 as opposed to when Mike wrote the song.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Jason
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2009, 11:09:41 AM »

The BBs version of Brian's Back from the 1978 Miami sessions is hilarious. You can hear Brian in the backing vocals going "I...am...BACK!"
sleeptalk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2009, 11:24:47 AM »

The BBs version of Brian's Back from the 1978 Miami sessions is hilarious. You can hear Brian in the backing vocals going "I...am...BACK!"

ha! gotta hear that!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2009, 11:54:37 AM »

ha! gotta hear that!

Somewhat incomplete - no lead vocals, just track and bvs. To my mind the best ML version - of about five - is the one with the 60-second orchestral intro and the little 'car radio' bit between that and the song itself.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jason
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2009, 12:02:07 PM »

Five ML versions are as follows -

1978 First Love mix
1980s First Love remix
1978 promo cassette edit
1980s uncirculated remix
2004 Unleash the Love
C.Miller
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2009, 06:13:44 PM »

Love the cello that comes in to quote Good Vibs in the second verse. And come on, how can you not love Carl singing You Still Believe in me at the end? Worth it just for that bit.
MBE
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2009, 06:29:13 PM »

The one with the radio is on one of the Aussie EP CCS volumes. I like that one too.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx