gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 08:33:37 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What do YOU think the Train and Barking Dogs mean?  (Read 6026 times)
nobody
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 04, 2009, 01:51:53 AM »

At the end of Pet Sounds/Caroline No.

PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 10:20:45 AM »

Are you asking what WE think it meant to Brian, & why he included it?  Or are you asking what it means to us, subjectively?

Trains are inherently musical to the ear, because of the rhythm.  (There's a long history with trains in art...  & I'm reminded of a Kronos Quartet/Terry Riley album in the late-80s called DIFFERENT TRAINS, I think.)  The sound it provocative in other ways too — hearing a train from a distance creates a mood...  or maybe many.  Traveling...  to where?  From where?  etc.  And of course trains at one time represented progress, human invention, & specifically the expansion west in the US, for example.

Dogs barking is in one way very different because the barks seem random, not rhythmic like the train.  The iron horse keeps the beat, while the dogs improvise the melody.  On the other hand, dogs barking in the distance can set a similar mood as the train...  (What are they barking at, etc.?)

Anyway, dogs are important to humans, & important in Rock N Roll history, & in BBoys history, in particular.  Would we have "Good Vibrations" without Audree's dog story?  And Banana & Louis did a great job on PET SOUNDS — they were definitely barking from their hearts.

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 07:04:13 AM »

i think he used trains + barking dogs cause it sounded cool at the time..Remember Bw works on feel.
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 07:39:13 AM »

i think he used trains + barking dogs cause it sounded cool at the time..Remember Bw works on feel.

Of course, but why did he think it sounded cool?  Why did it 'feel' right?

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

—MIKE LOVE

—BRIAN WILSON
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 07:58:48 AM »

lets ask brian.
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 09:02:14 AM »

lets ask brian.

I just texted him.  His reply:

Cuz wife n manager said it wud b good idea.  ttyl

—MURRY WILSON

—MIKE LOVE

—BRIAN WILSON
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 09:56:13 AM »

When I was 4 years old and had my first shot of acid, Satan appeared to me and said that the train was Brian leaving his old life behind. The dogs were the teeny bopper fans upset that he is leaving.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 12:11:20 PM »

U Be Trippin.?
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2009, 12:35:34 PM »

I just think it's one of these totally arbritary things that people put onto albums before everyone started doing too much acid and everything had to mean something.

Think how utterly arbritary the samurai stuff on the back is!

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009, 12:39:51 PM »

I think is symbolizes the passing of a certain period in the narrarator's life (BW) The period in which the songs describe. Or just the passing of youth into uncertain adulthood.

To me, Pet Sounds is THE best break-up album ever! It starts out with the youthful optimism of a new relationship and then goes through all the usual ups and downs and then a break-up and then the guy sees the girl later and her hair is short and she's now hard and mean and bitter and not the same person he fell in love with.

Remeber Bruce's liner note thingy for the Pet Sounds box set? Remember he said that Pet Sounds represented, or was the place where that "special little window" that had opened for Brian was closing?..... Well, the train and the dogs make me think of that each time.
SG7
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2009, 12:50:27 PM »

I still think Trombone Dixie should have closed it. Would have made the album be much more come full circle. Just my POV though.
acedecade75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2009, 01:07:00 PM »

I seem to remember reading somewhere that Brian had once said something about "the train carrying away his innocence".
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2009, 01:57:19 PM »

As the train brings the passenger from one place to another, the album has brought the listener through a voyage into Brian's feelings.  Innocence to experience.  And the train is travelling to another destination - in this case, Brian's next album (Smile) and his attempts through humor (and channeling childhood and the American native spirit) to recapture innocence, or rather create a new kind of innocence.

The dogs are the domestic dependent creatures calling on Brian to halt his journey and not travel too far, to play it safe and stay home, to stop expanding his consciousness through drugs.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2009, 04:18:15 PM »

Like a lot of "Brian theories", it's fun to look for deep meanings; makes for interesting thought and conversation. Especially with this topic, and where the snippet was placed on the album, there can be numerous theories. I think it was simply Brian wanting to hear/record a train (w/whistle) and hear/record his beloved dogs. THEN maybe came up with the thought of combining them. No deep meaning here. You know what Brian would say if you asked him? "I just wanted to hear what it would be like to record a train and my dogs". Smiley
nobody
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2009, 12:02:30 AM »

Like a lot of "Brian theories", it's fun to look for deep meanings; makes for interesting thought and conversation. Especially with this topic, and where the snippet was placed on the album, there can be numerous theories. I think it was simply Brian wanting to hear/record a train (w/whistle) and hear/record his beloved dogs. THEN maybe came up with the thought of combining them. No deep meaning here. You know what Brian would say if you asked him? "I just wanted to hear what it would be like to record a train and my dogs". Smiley

he didn't record no train, sheriff
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2009, 03:54:07 AM »

Not to forget that the pet dogs tie in with the title of the album of course

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Thunderfingers75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2009, 06:52:07 AM »

I seem to remember reading somewhere that Brian had once said something about "the train carrying away his innocence".

I always sorta thought it had to do with growing up/leaving home.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2009, 06:57:19 AM »

I always sorta thought it had to do with growing up/leaving home.

No. It was the Doppler effect that carried him away.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
PrayForSurf
Smiley Smile Associate

Pray For Surf is blogged by Phil Miglioratti

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2009, 07:14:17 AM »

As a listener, I experience the train moving past me while I am stationary, my pet dogs at my feet in a rural America setting (precursor to SMiLE?). The sound of a train in the distance always evokes anticipation; the sound of the train moving past and away, a sadness that something good has quickly gone by. To me, it is a bittersweet ending to the greatest pop album of all time. I stand in stunned silence as to the amazing sounds that have come and gone; my pets' sounds become accolades to the great Pet Sounds.

muchacho_playero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2009, 08:05:00 AM »

i think its mean a love that its gone, according to the history songs of course
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2009, 08:55:12 AM »

It's a little known fact that the train and dogs were actually written by VDP and translated into Locomotive and Canine for the performance. The reason, of course, is that Mike Love wouldn't sing them in English. These same lines were later tried again during the Smile sessions, when Mr. Love did indeed sing them--but not without confronting Van Dyke. "Over and over the crow cries uncover the cornfield? What does it mean?"

(The train sings "over and over." The dogs sing "the crow cries...cornfield." FYI.)

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2009, 09:18:38 AM »

It's a little known fact that the train and dogs were actually written by VDP and translated into Locomotive and Canine for the performance. The reason, of course, is that Mike Love wouldn't sing them in English. These same lines were later tried again during the Smile sessions, when Mr. Love did indeed sing them--but not without confronting Van Dyke. "Over and over the crow cries uncover the cornfield? What does it mean?"

(The train sings "over and over." The dogs sing "the crow cries...cornfield." FYI.)

Did you know that dogs began to bark only when man domesticated them, in order to emulate their sounds? And that herrings communicate by farting? (True, dat).
I suspect that Louie and Banana sing 'Strangers In The Night', on Pet Sounds, although it might also be 'Mystery Train'. Science is looking into it.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2009, 10:53:05 AM »

Your pulling my leg with the farting..!!
The infamous Baldwin Organ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2009, 11:17:14 AM »

Actually, I looked that one up; and no, he wasn't joking!! 3D
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2009, 08:46:47 AM »

I think the loud sound of the whistles with the rythmic sound is a train passing by. And the barking is the sound of dogs.  Roll Eyes

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx