gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680855 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 04:15:32 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Good Vibrations has one glaring imperfection  (Read 3494 times)
nobody
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 03, 2009, 02:26:12 PM »

That irritates me every time I hear the song. Fortunately, it's at the very end.

What is it? THE FADE IS TOO SHORT!!! It's the best part of the song ... where it should turn into a wild freak out of a celebration, but we get about a second of it before it's gone. A shiver went down my spine recently when I saw a performance of the song where Carl sang that wild, floating melody right at the end of the single as the band expanded a bit on it. Really captured how great it is.

I guess it was probably done to meet some requirements or something for the radio. Or maybe Brian and Chuck and whoever else just made a mistake?

BennySahuaro
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 03:57:30 PM »

That irritates me every time I hear the song. Fortunately, it's at the very end.

What is it? THE FADE IS TOO SHORT!!! It's the best part of the song ... where it should turn into a wild freak out of a celebration, but we get about a second of it before it's gone. A shiver went down my spine recently when I saw a performance of the song where Carl sang that wild, floating melody right at the end of the single as the band expanded a bit on it. Really captured how great it is.

I guess it was probably done to meet some requirements or something for the radio. Or maybe Brian and Chuck and whoever else just made a mistake?

Chuck Britz wan't making mistakes, nether was Brian. Beach Boy fades were  often short. Whenever I mixed a track,  I often requested a "Beach Boys fade." That's what some people (in LA) called a short fade back in the day.
If you listen to some of the group's alternate material, it is obvious that  they were limited to the amount of fade that was good before players (session guys, or the group) started getting loose...
nobody
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 04:05:12 PM »

Chuck Britz wan't making mistakes, nether was Brian. Beach Boy fades were  often short. Whenever I mixed a track,  I often requested a "Beach Boys fade." That's what some people (in LA) called a short fade back in the day.
If you listen to some of the group's alternate material, it is obvious that  they were limited to the amount of fade that was good before players (session guys, or the group) started getting loose...

or hearing Brian say "cut it" or whatever

agree with what you said but still, i feel GV could've used a second or two more.
BennySahuaro
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 04:16:48 PM »

or hearing Brian say "cut it" or whatever

agree with what you said but still, i feel GV could've used a second or two more.

Oh, for sure. I've always wanted a longer fade on that single.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2009, 05:15:02 PM »

As others have pointed out, Brian typically used short fades, so it isn't all that surprising that he used one here as well.  In addition, Good Vibrations was already quite long for a radio single back in 1966.  Three and a half minutes was pushing it to begin with, so Brian probably didn't see the need to bring it close to the four-minute mark, which would have been seen as abnormally long.

That said, I do enjoy the "extended" fade that Brian did on BWPS and that he does in concert.  I just don't think it would have worked on record in 1966.
nobody
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2009, 05:22:50 PM »

As others have pointed out, Brian typically used short fades, so it isn't all that surprising that he used one here as well.  In addition, Good Vibrations was already quite long for a radio single back in 1966.  Three and a half minutes was pushing it to begin with, so Brian probably didn't see the need to bring it close to the four-minute mark, which would have been seen as abnormally long.

That said, I do enjoy the "extended" fade that Brian did on BWPS and that he does in concert.  I just don't think it would have worked on record in 1966.

Mainly I'm talking a few extra seconds. It's difficult to say how many because a second can be a long time. Just a little more room to allow that wild melody at the end to breath, then fade. I feel like the fade was done a second early.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2009, 05:26:22 PM »

I have a Beach Boys' Greatest Hits comp from Razor & Tie and the "Good Vibrations" version clocks in at 3:45, a good 10 seconds longer than the original single.
harveyw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2009, 02:53:25 AM »

Didn't Steve Hoffman issue a version with a longer fade on (I think) the DCC edition of Endless Summer?
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2009, 03:36:42 AM »

On the tracking session, Brian stops them quite a short way in and says something like 'we don't need too much of that, it's going to fade out very quickly'. I think at the most there's about 5 to 15 more seconds of it.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2009, 03:45:50 AM »

Didn't Steve Hoffman issue a version with a longer fade on (I think) the DCC edition of Endless Summer?

Yes, but he's stated on his forum that he spliced the fade in from another part of the song - that is, he concocted it, not Brian.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2009, 09:39:45 AM »

we have all seen BB live do extended versions in concert..i liked when they would not drag it out + Mike would say ..You do that + we will add other parts..The parts they added were real cool + im sure i saw them throw in the HUM DE DUM part a couple of times..i know this isnt the final fade just throwin it out there..
harveyw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2009, 12:12:02 PM »

Yes, but he's stated on his forum that he spliced the fade in from another part of the song - that is, he concocted it, not Brian.

I know. That's why I said Steve Hoffman issued it.
?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2009, 12:43:03 PM »

I know. That's why I said Steve Hoffman issued it.

I guess he's used it more than once, since he also did the Razor & Tie comp SJS mentioned.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2009, 08:10:00 PM »

I really want to get a hold of that. I'd use it on Smile mixes.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
lupinofan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2009, 08:18:16 AM »

I really want to get a hold of that. I'd use it on Smile mixes.

Make your own: Hoffman said he got the end from the full instrumental track found on the "Good Vibrations" box set, folded it to mono and spliced it onto the end before applying his own fade. (He's probably since deleted this information from his website, as he has an irritating tendency to do.)

There, I've probably saved you a fortune!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2009, 08:42:42 AM »

I think that 'Meant For You' is way too long, esp. the fade.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2009, 10:27:53 AM »

Bah. I know you're being sarcastic (or you really hate "Meant For You"), but it always bugged me how that song started and ended. Comes in somewhat abruptly, fade is super quick, etc.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2009, 04:49:58 AM »

i've always heard that dip in the volume at "and the way the sunlight plays upon her hair". 
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2009, 05:04:27 AM »

Bah. I know you're being sarcastic (or you really hate "Meant For You"), but it always bugged me how that song started and ended. Comes in somewhat abruptly, fade is super quick, etc.

It may surprise you, but I love that song eternally. Precisely as it is. The fadeout makes you long for more, tantalizing, I know, but it works...

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx