gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 06:19:48 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anyone here hear Pet Sounds when it was first released?  (Read 4571 times)
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2009, 03:44:58 PM »

I heard it the summer before I turned 15, this was long after it had come out but still many years ago. I always loved music and had cultivated a love for "Good Vibrations" despite never actually hearing the recorded version---just pieces played on documentaries. I put on Pet Sounds---which my parents had but neither were fans of except "Wouldn't it Be Nice." I loved WIBN, I recognized it as it was something of a hit and "God Only Knows" was also familiar to me too. I remember listening to WIBN and then letting the album continue, thinking I'll turn it off in a second when I get down with whatever I'm doing and suddenly this spine-tingling choral song comes in and knocks me sideways. If you had to pinpoint one time where the music of Brian pulled me in and didn't let me go, it was the first time hearing "You Still Believe in Me." I was sold, I was now a Beach Boys and BW fan.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Day Tripper
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2009, 12:31:43 AM »

I heard it about 10 years after it came out, and as a young teenager expecting more Surfer Girl time material , I was disapointed. Caroline No, was the only song that grabbed me. I read an article later, on Henry Winkler (Fonzie,) and he talked about Pet Sounds with great admiration. So, I revisited Pet Sounds and listened to it over and over until I got it. And it was the  melancholy songs like Don't Talk, against the hopeful Wouldn't it be Nice, that spoke to me as a troubled teenager, and it caused me to grow up a bit and become more introspective. I don't think Pet Sounds or Smile was meant to be understood by the masses. It's art.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx