gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:56:27 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Good Vibrations - Thirty Years Of The Beach Boys
5 - 84 (84%)
4 - 12 (12%)
3 - 2 (2%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 0 (0%)
0 - 2 (2%)
Total Voters: 87

Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Good Vibrations - Thirty Years Of The Beach Boys  (Read 55844 times)
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2009, 03:06:09 PM »

Which of the SMiLE tracks on here uses an original mix, not the mark linnet mix?   Huh

A discipline daddy.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 27, 2009, 10:21:03 PM »

A Day In The Life Of A Tree is a personal fave - but better than 'Feel Flows'?

Interesting. It depends on your criteria. From the standpoint of compositional complexity, "A Day in the Life of a Tree" is pretty much objectively better than "Feel Flows". Now, "Feel Flows" has a more hip vibe, some interesting sounds, and it is a catchy, creative song, and I could see why some people like it better. But "A Day in the Life of a Tree" is like a musical or something. I could so easily imagine it as a play. It has multiple sections and Brian's superior understanding of harmony and counterpoint (in comparison to Carl) just creates a fuller musical experience than Carl's song. Brian's song is practically a world in and of itself. Listening to a song by Carl, Al, or Mike after listening to this makes me realize how empty their compositions can seem in comparison. This isn't a knock on them, it's just that they were doing music in the BBs idiom, which was originally Brian's creation, so it makes the differences in their talents obvious. There weren't many pop groups that had a writer like Brian, though.
Jason
« Reply #52 on: December 28, 2009, 03:35:59 PM »

Which of the SMiLE tracks on here uses an original mix, not the mark linnet mix?   Huh

Well, the Cantina version of Heroes and Villains on there is a vintage February 1967 Brian mix. Cabinessence and Our Prayer were mixed by Carl and Dennis with Steve Desper assisting based on original test mixes Brian had made in November and December of 1966. Wind Chimes is a Mark Linett mix based on Brian's original 1966 rough edit, but cleaned up to remove dead space between changing sections. Do You Like Worms is a Mark Linett mix based on Brian's original 1966 rough edit. The rest are all Mark Linett's own mixes.

The fact remains that nothing from Smile ever received a final mix by Brian himself, and all that exists are test edits and rough mixes strewn across any number of compilation reels or acetates.
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2010, 05:26:51 PM »

I'm happy that this finally afforded "H.E.L.P. Is On The Way" an official release.  I first discovered that song via this boxed set and was thrown by it at first, but having traced its sad life over the course of several scrapped albums, it's actually grown to be one of my favorite BB's songs.  ("Santa's On His Way" seems like absolute shite to me now, though...)

Besides, who ever expected an official release of "Do You Like Worms"??
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2010, 12:36:58 PM »

Well, the Cantina version of Heroes and Villains on there is a vintage February 1967 Brian mix. Cabinessence and Our Prayer were mixed by Carl and Dennis with Steve Desper assisting based on original test mixes Brian had made in November and December of 1966. Wind Chimes is a Mark Linett mix based on Brian's original 1966 rough edit, but cleaned up to remove dead space between changing sections. Do You Like Worms is a Mark Linett mix based on Brian's original 1966 rough edit. The rest are all Mark Linett's own mixes.

The fact remains that nothing from Smile ever received a final mix by Brian himself, and all that exists are test edits and rough mixes strewn across any number of compilation reels or acetates.

[koff] There's a November 1966 BW mono mix for the track to "CIFTTM" - was nearly on Endless Harmony - that sounds pretty final to me.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2010, 08:57:59 AM »

no kidding? dang...wonder why it's not floating around?    Wink

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 10, 2011, 12:55:49 AM »

Overall, I feel that, while everything in the box, and about it, is fantastic, I really don't like the mix of 'Vegatables' from the SMiLE tracks. Everything just seems so unbalanced, and the ending is all over the place. I do, however, really enjoy the live version of 'Be True To Your School' on disc 5, if anything just for the Beach Boys trying to be cheerleaders!  Grin

But overall, a very recommended box, with a definite 5.

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 26, 2012, 10:53:35 AM »

They used a mix of "Cotton Fields" that had less of the pedal steel intro. That annoyed me in 1993 and still does today.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 27, 2012, 11:33:11 PM »

They used a mix of "Cotton Fields" that had less of the pedal steel intro. That annoyed me in 1993 and still does today.

I was going to say the same thing - did they accidentally cut it off or is the reason unknown?

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 09, 2012, 08:15:00 AM »

According to Linett/Boyd, it's like that on the master.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 13, 2012, 02:33:53 PM »

I'm honestly surprised they released Little Surfer Girl on this, being that it's just a snippet.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #61 on: September 02, 2012, 11:53:03 AM »

I'm honestly surprised they released Little Surfer Girl on this, being that it's just a snippet.

But i'm glad they did, as it's beautiful - one of the highlights of the first CD! Pity we couldn't have had more similar session snippets.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #62 on: September 08, 2013, 04:34:02 AM »

Is this box set still available? and I don't mean online
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 08, 2013, 05:04:01 AM »

Then what do you mean?

Btw, if you want a closer look at the set itself, I've done a video review of the box, here's part one:

http://youtu.be/fGg0o5qgHO4

~post of the century~
-Mikie

bluesno1fann
« Reply #64 on: September 08, 2013, 11:45:11 PM »

Then what do you mean?

Btw, if you want a closer look at the set itself, I've done a video review of the box, here's part one:

http://youtu.be/fGg0o5qgHO4
I mean is the box set still avaliable for sale physically? Or I can only get online like on Itunes?
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 09, 2013, 12:14:56 AM »

I got one for 20 bucks on Ebay.

A discipline daddy.
silodweller
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 24, 2013, 05:04:13 AM »

I managed to purchase this set about a year after its release and I absolutely fell in love with it.  Just for interest sake though, I was browsing through the comments left by reviewers on amazon.com and I'm surprised by the amount of people who put the whole box set down on account of the overall sound quality.  I have to say, I've always enjoyed how the music sounds on the set. 

"Carl broke his cigarette over his G string, we're sorry..."
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 01, 2014, 05:33:21 PM »

This is what box sets are all about and for me this is desert island pic all the way.. So essential  that I couldn't bear to be without it..    5/5   Transcendental Meditation Transcendental Meditation
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 02:25:54 PM by Mr. Wilson » Logged
KDS
« Reply #68 on: April 28, 2015, 07:13:55 AM »

This is a great boxset.........if you don't already own every BB album.

I know The Beach Boys aren't the only guilty party here, but these boxsets are designed by record companies to make hardcore fans shell out some money for a set made up of mostly stuff they already own just to get the unreleased tracks.

That being said, at least this set is much more affordable than MIC, and has a good mix of hits, album tracks, and unreleased stuff.  I'm sure the Smile tracks were mind blowing at the time. 

Overall, I'd give it a 4/5. 
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 23, 2016, 08:52:49 AM »

It annoys the hell out of me that the Holland tracks come before the CATP tracks. Why?!

And what is with Europe's obsession with Tears in the Morning, Sumahama, and disco HCTN? They made it onto the Europe-exclusive 6th disc of the boxset, they made it onto the European version of The Best of the Brother Years, and they made it to the Europe exclusive Sounds of Summer Platinum Collection, even though they're exactly the opposite of great hits!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 08:58:31 AM by BachelorsDegreeInBullets » Logged

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 26, 2016, 10:33:40 PM »

It annoys the hell out of me that the Holland tracks come before the CATP tracks?
I read an article about the box in Goldmine, David Leaf said they decided to put the Holland tracks before the CATP stuff because they believed it was stronger material.
I think the box does a good job at covering the 60's and 70's, but it's like the 80's didn't exist. Surely they could have made room for Where I Belong, Somewhere Near Japan, It's Gettin' Late, California Dreamin' or Rock 'n' Roll to the Rescue. And there must be a few outtakes or rare tracks from that decade.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 11, 2017, 03:52:00 AM »

Nothing's perfect but this is pretty darn close to that particular condition.

When I got this for a birthday present in 2003 or '04 I hadn't heard a semiquaver of unofficial Smile tracks, so that alone was worth the effort of removing the wrapping paper.

One of many other high points is the longer fade on "Don't Back Down" (long live mono).     

Disc 5 is much like poking around in an attic full of surprises.

"Lotsa good stuff", to quote the late Paul Williams in his ecstatic review "I Believe You Anyway"...

5/5   

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx