gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:05:29 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Good Vibrations - Thirty Years Of The Beach Boys
5 - 84 (84%)
4 - 12 (12%)
3 - 2 (2%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 0 (0%)
0 - 2 (2%)
Total Voters: 87

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Good Vibrations - Thirty Years Of The Beach Boys  (Read 55803 times)
CosmicDancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2006, 08:54:59 AM »

Probably the career spanning boxed set on the market.  The only other one I can think of that is even close might be Dylan's Bootleg Series Vol. 1-3 with all the outtakes and unreleased gems from his career.  The inclusion of the Smile stuff is a nice gift and some of the later outtakes are awesome!  5!!

The Un-Funny Alliance:  Are you not "good at being funny"?  Join us today in our mission to make the world a less funny place one "easy" fart joke at a time!
MBE
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2006, 04:53:29 AM »

I think this set was histroically important. First off it restored the groups rep artistically and secondally it led to their best tour in 13 years and their last worthy one period. Now I hate the vocals only and music only stuff, not enough Dennis and why oh why do they put tracks out of order. Some good stuff though
The Trader
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2006, 06:35:33 AM »

I think the first disc would of benefited with a better selection from "Today!" such as "Kiss Me Baby" or "In The back of my mind".

Although thats a minor flaw in a brilliantly composed box set thats a treat to listen to for newcomers and longterm fans.

I love the flow of the 3rd disc. It really works well as an album, rather than just a colletion of songs...
MBE
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2006, 09:36:14 AM »

I  agree Today got the short shirft. I guess a set like this is too subjective to be perfect
Vega-Table Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2006, 10:20:34 AM »

A very strong 5.

When I bought this in 1993 (it was first-ever credit card purchase! I just had to have it), I had never heard a Smile bootleg, so it was my first intro to those previously unreleased Smile recordings. For including that material alone, the box set was incredibly important and absolutely thrilling to be able to own.

The fact that so much of the rest of the music (particularly on Disc 3) is so wonderful is an amazing bonus. As is the fact that the early material on Disc 1 is in mono, which makes it a nice companion to the largely stereo two-fers.
musicfan
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2006, 12:07:57 AM »

Members,

Years ago I picked up this japanese cd box set titled "The Beach Boys...The Capitol Years"...7 cds...with theme titled cds..."Summertime U.S.A.", "California Dream", "Sunshine Music",
"Changes", "Timeless", "Break Away", and "The Brian Wilson Productions".

123 songs. Insert book with some interesting black and white photos like ""Early Summer 1962 UCLA fraternity"..."November 1st 1963, YMCA Day Hollywood Bowl ".

The label say of the song audio......

"Mono" "Stereo" "Electronically"

The OBI says "91-5-22" among other stuff

Does anyone else have this box set ? 

Thanks, Mike
MBE
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2006, 01:49:53 AM »

I have it on vinyl from 1980. Good set much more in depth then Good Vibrations because it's only Capitol recordings. Only 2-3 essential songs missing.
thomasogg
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2007, 12:01:31 AM »

It's a damn good box set, but there's some average material included at the expense of far superior stuff! Just as an example:
'Slip On Through' shoulda been included in place of 'Add Some Music..' or 'Our sweet Love' from Sunflower
There's much better Landlocked material out there than dopey stuff like 'Games Two Can Play'. Where was 'Lady'?
In fact, the whole box set is very heavily Brian biased, which is of course appropriate in the years 1961 - 1968, but from then on other band members, in particular Dennis, where producing work as good as him, often superior. Where are Dennis' 20/20, C&TP and Holland tracks for example? 'Carry Me Home' would've been much prefered to an instrumental version of Mt Vernon, no? Where was 'Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again'? Surely an unreleased track more worthy of inclusion than 'HELP is on the Way'...? The set could've highlighted the band's strengths more than it does if u ask me... Still, as I say, damn good set!
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2007, 06:16:10 AM »

Just as an example: 'Slip On Through' shoulda been included in place of 'Add Some Music..' or 'Our sweet Love' from Sunflower
There's much better Landlocked material out there than dopey stuff like 'Games Two Can Play'. Where was 'Lady'?
In fact, the whole box set is very heavily Brian biased, which is of course appropriate in the years 1961 - 1968, but from then on other band members, in particular Dennis, where producing work as good as him, often superior. Where are Dennis' 20/20, C&TP and Holland tracks for example? 'Carry Me Home' would've been much prefered to an instrumental version of Mt Vernon, no? Where was 'Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again'? Surely an unreleased track more worthy of inclusion than 'HELP is on the Way'...? The set could've highlighted the band's strengths more than it does if u ask me... Still, as I say, damn good set!

Well you have to remember that the record company was trying to sell their product and it was designed to be for casual fans (who just love the hits) and hardcore fans (ie: such as the SMiLE stuff). So thats why a song like Add Some Music was chosen over songs like Slip On Through. I agree about Lady, even if it is a DW solo record, it would have been nice to have some rarities like that. I do agree with you though that Dennis wasn't represented perhaps as well as he shouldve been. But that doesnt surprise me, he rarely is.
thomasogg
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2007, 02:15:02 PM »

Good reply. I was expecting to recieve something argumentative from someone, but you're quite correct in everything u say...
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2007, 08:33:52 PM »

Good reply. I was expecting to recieve something argumentative from someone, but you're quite correct in everything u say...

From what you usually write, am I right in guessing that you are a big Dennis Wilson fan? I do think though that most people agree (in terms of fans) that Dennis is rarely represented fairly in collections like this one, its just clear to see. But I suppose I can sort of understand on typical "Greatest Hits" collections because Dennis didn't exactly have any major hits, but I can't understand why he wasn't represented more fairly on this box set. Because if they had put more rarities along with the hits then maby people would have heard the more obscure songs and thought, "gee I thought I knew all the Beach Boys good songs" and then they would maby go and buy some of the CD's." Ahwell, I suppose they usually sell pretty well anyway and thats obviously all the record company cares about...
thomasogg
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2007, 02:36:32 PM »

Yeh, the way I see it is Brian was the most talented, interesting member of the group from 1961 to 1967-68, but from then on I'd say it was Dennis who was the most talented, interesting member by far! I've noticed a lot of people just refuse to even suggest that Brian was ever anything other than Beach Boy numero uno, but aside from one or two great tracks a year it really was Dennis producing the goods post-Friends. Whenever I compile compilations of BB stuff to introduce friends to the groups more experimental, less well-known material, I always fill the CDs with Denny tracks (Slip On Through, Lady, 4th Of July, Celebrate The News, Baby Blue) and they're always blown away! Then I play 'em POB and Bamboo and, wow... They don't generally seem quite as impressed by the likes of 'HELP is on the way' and 'Games Two Can Play'.
MBE
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2007, 05:25:20 PM »

I disagree about songs like Games so I would extend Brian was in his prime though 1970, but starting from 68 Dennis was right up there with him. In fact as far as Brian goes I would say through the Spring sessions maybe even the 1974 Caribou he was still doing great stuff. He was doing much less from 71-74 but it was still good. Dennis from 68-78 was as good as Brian and begining with the 15 Big Ones sessions Dennis was much better. I still fail to see how anyone could like Love You so much, I mean P.O.B. is just so much better. Adult Child had some nuggets by Brian but it isn't sustained the whole album. Dennis was just so good until his sad decline took over.
thomasogg
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2007, 11:12:17 PM »

Yeh, but even during his sad decline Dennis was still coming up with gems like 'He's A Bum'. Brian however, once declining, started churning out really substandard stuff! Thankfully he recovered from his decline, but his song-writing genius never did. And i'm I'm sorry, but ''Games Two Can Play' is Brian in his prime? It's a nice, hummable catchy tune, with rather bad lyrics - is that really considered the best that the man who gave us 'Caroline No' and 'Wonderful' was expected to deliver? Sure, tracks such as 'Til I die', 'This Whole World' and 'Mt Vernon' would see his true genius reappearing, but in between he was knocking out more average songs than good ones. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Brian Wilson fan, seen him live more times than I care to mention, and I like the BB period 1966-67 more than any other in their career, but when people start claiming that 'I Just Got My Pay' is our man at the top of his game... Please! I enjoy these songs, but compare 'em to those his younger brother was producing around the same time ('Lady', 'San Miguel', '4th of July', 'It's About Time') and the argument pretty much ends there! Why debate it? Just listen!
MBE
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2007, 11:42:47 PM »

I don't know I just like those songs, they were different to what Dennis was doing, less serious perhaps, but still fun. Once Brian's voice went I had more trouble enjoying his material, but I like that they aren't heavy songs. He had always mixed in the silly and the serious. Til I Die, This Whole World, Breakaway, All I Wanna Do, they are all weighty but even during 66-67 nobody can say that a song like Vega-tables is exactly profound. Lighthearted songs are no less enjoyable to my ears. Something like I Just Got My Pay is cool for it's harmonies and production, the words are secondary. Got to Know The Woman had dumb words too but I like it all the same. Now when you get to Roller Skating Child, Hey Little Tomboy, I Wanna Pick You Up, Love Is A Woman, etc then I agree that Brian was in a deep decline, but l happen think Brian was still in his prime at least creatively in the early 70's. You are of course entitled to disagree. Dennis alone didn't try to sound remotely like Brian so to me which I commend him for. I like his stuff as much as you do, and we all know you like Dennis the best. I just fail to see why you feel the need to put him above the others to prove his greatness.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 05:53:07 AM by MBE » Logged
thomasogg
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2007, 01:44:20 PM »

I only put him above the others in the period when he was better. I enjoy 'Games..' for the same reasons you do, they're fun and catchy as hell, but i just think Dennis' songs are, to my ears at least, just obviously better - not just more intelligent, heavy etc. Just better! Better melodies for starters.. As I say, i genuinely think he was better than any other memeber during this particular period and rate him above the other members for that reason solely. That, and he was much cooler too. Cheesy
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2007, 01:50:29 PM »

You aren't alone Thomas. I feel the exact same way.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2007, 01:52:31 PM »

For my tastes I would amend that to say that when Brian was "ON" (ie A Day In The Life Of A Tree, Till I Die) his work surpassed everyone.
thomasogg
« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2007, 02:35:25 PM »

A Day In The Life Of A Tree is a personal fave - but better than 'Feel Flows'? Better than 'Carry Me Home'? What..really? 'Til I Die' is one of the best songs the band ever created however, that's pretty much set in stone.. And THIS version is the killer, not the 'Endless Harmony' remix
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2007, 10:52:06 PM »

If Dennis Wilson was Dennis Jones nobody would care about his music....a lot of people put out quote unquote better stuff than Brian during this time peiod, but Brian Wilson is the man, no matter what we say, no matter what time period.....his stuff is just ssssooo much more curious than anyone else's....."in the morning I'm the Mr. Business man..."!! Rock! Rock!
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2007, 10:52:57 PM »

GV, 30 years....5
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2007, 10:53:31 PM »

who gave this a zero???
thomasogg
« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2007, 02:05:45 PM »

A wanker.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2007, 05:22:13 AM »

who gave this a zero???

Obviously somebody who rated Looking Back With Love, Summer In Paradise etc... a 5.

That, and he was much cooler too. Cheesy

I agree with you on that thomasogg. He was the coolest member of the band, but probably also the most foolish. Denny when he was not crazy and was in his prime is the epitome of cool if you ask me.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2008, 12:12:31 PM »

Who handed out that 'zero'? I have a gun. And I can go through walls.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx