gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:30:31 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Good Vibrations - Thirty Years Of The Beach Boys
5 - 84 (84%)
4 - 12 (12%)
3 - 2 (2%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 0 (0%)
0 - 2 (2%)
Total Voters: 87

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Good Vibrations - Thirty Years Of The Beach Boys  (Read 55801 times)
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« on: December 26, 2005, 03:45:20 PM »

Discuss, review and rate Good Vibrations - Thirty Years Of The Beach Boys, released November 1993.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2005, 08:43:38 PM by Charles LePage » Logged

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2005, 03:46:47 PM »

I'm not a fan of greatest hits albums, but there was so much unreleased music on these discs, I think this is essential. The Smile stuff, the Sunflower-era stuff, the Dennis stuff, the 70s Adult Child stuff...very good.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2005, 03:48:32 PM »

How Funky Pretty and Then I Kissed Her made it on there and Feel Flows and Farmer's Daughter did not, I'll never know.
But it's still the best box set ever.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Jason
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2005, 03:58:58 PM »

Finally, an honest and reasonably unbiased distillation of the group's legacy as the finest American pop group. 5 stars all the way.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2005, 11:58:38 AM »

All fans must own this.
monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2005, 01:34:48 PM »

How Funky Pretty and Then I Kissed Her made it on there and Feel Flows and Farmer's Daughter did not, I'll never know.
Gotta be a marketing standpoint... always leave off a few to keep the cash flowing in from other purchases!
To equate: notice A Little Bit Me & Girl I Knew Somewhere were left off the Monkees Headquarters remaster.
DW Washburn & It's Nice B With You- left off Birds Bees Remaster. Keeps the cash flowing and makes you buy other stuff.

I can't believe they left off essential Denny tracks- River Song, etc. Especially since River Song was on 10 Years Of Harmony.
Glad Punchline made the box set, tho!
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2005, 05:58:30 AM »

This really is the best compiled career spanning box set I know of.  It is perhaps the cornerstone of any good BB collection.
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2005, 08:10:49 AM »

This is what introduced me to the Beach Boys, after listening to Surfin' which was my favorite BBoys song at the time. I recieved it as a holiday present when I was in 7th grade.

Does anyone know why the 'Hereos and Villians (backing track)" is only :47 seconds? Is there a full version of the Beach Boys H&V anywhere? (pm if you can send it to me) I have the BWPS 2004 version I got from iTunes but I want to hear the whole backing track to The Beach Boys' version of Heroes & Villians.

Thanks!

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2005, 08:17:46 AM »

Does anyone know why the 'Hereos and Villians (backing track)" is only :47 seconds? Is there a full version of the Beach Boys H&V anywhere? (pm if you can send it to me)

I'd guess because it was all so pieced together from separate pieces and segments, with tracks being used for different things at different times. (Not like now, when you have unlimited tracks, and simply having a no-vocals, or vocals-only mix is simple, and just a matter of muting or soloing certain tracks.) This is absolutely a guess, though.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Jason
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2005, 08:21:15 AM »

Some bootlegs have some of the backing tracks for various fragments of Heroes and Villains. I dunno why some of those weren't used on the box set, they could've made a compound mix of the various backing track fragments for that disc 5 track.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2005, 10:46:43 AM »

The acetate used for that H&V Instro is that short. It first appeared on the Vigotone SMiLE boot.

theeponymuseudonym
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2006, 05:46:50 PM »

this box set made my days and nights worthwhile circa 1993-94. i'm a wimp.
Primo Box:
loved the pic's and "its over now" and "still i dream" and "baby blue" and
"the night was so young" all hit my top ten chart late 93 early 94.
made me cry.
long promised road shouldve hit the top 40. looking glass & gilbertosullivan?
 pulleeze

4th of july made me cry and burn my american flag.
no wonder they took it off surfs Up, too much environmentalism & radical revolutionary lp if they put it on.
4th of july AND Student demon time???
think about tit
the Beach Boys never wanted to be tooooo serious mind you.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2006, 11:19:44 PM »

think about tit
Not a day goes by that I don't.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2006, 11:54:31 PM »

Yeah, it's a bit of a poser. The selection criteria were as follows:

1. Top 40 hits

2. Recognised classic album tracks and single 'misses'

3. The unreleased stuff then to hand, trying not to duplicate the bonus tracks from the 2fers.

4. Tracks collated from the wishes of the fans (this included some of the unreleased stuff).

Brian had the final power of veto, resulting in the absence of "Let Him Run Wild" (he hated his voical) and "Mrs. O'Leary's Cow" (never considered - I'm reliably informed that it took some time to persuade Brian to allow ANY Smile meterial to be included). "Soulful Ol' Man Sunshine" was asembled for the box only to be handed the black spot by Carl because he flubbed two words.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2006, 11:56:23 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2006, 11:58:56 PM »

Well, all things considered, they did a bang-up job, the most representative non-complete box set I have ever heard.

Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2006, 09:13:09 AM »

Damn near perfect. A+
Compost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2006, 09:32:44 AM »

The glory-hole of releases.  5
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2006, 10:55:19 AM »

The glory-hole of releases.  5

I'm sensing a theme here, Compost.

Compost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2006, 12:58:26 PM »

I was having an indepth discussion about "Rusty Trombones" the other day - the logistics of them - and I guess my mind hasn't left the gutter.
mike8902
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2006, 03:23:22 PM »

Simply the best compilation of the Beach Boys material. I wish they put Let Him Run Wild on though. I don't understand why Brian thinks his vocals were bad.

Jason
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2006, 05:15:42 PM »

Simply the best compilation of the Beach Boys material. I wish they put Let Him Run Wild on though. I don't understand why Brian thinks his vocals were bad.

Ever heard the old saying "the artist is overly critical of his best work?"
mike8902
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2006, 05:59:24 PM »

True, although I think he should've been a little more critical of "Don't Back Down" and not Let Him Run Wild. I hate when brian sings the word "Guts" in that song. 

Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2006, 08:34:33 PM »

For those who can afford it, the absolute best intro to the band.  For most fans, they would never need to buy another album.  But most who give this a good listen probably would anyway...   Grin
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2006, 03:15:40 PM »

True, although I think he should've been a little more critical of "Don't Back Down" and not Let Him Run Wild. I hate when brian sings the word "Guts" in that song. 

I love that part. It showcases some power in his falsetto that doesn't usually pop up in the Boys' music.

Watch out for snakes!
Uncomfortable Seat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2006, 03:48:19 PM »

it's because he doesn't like sounding "like a fairy" or being "considered a chick"

"There's one thing I do that's kind of a personal thing -- I tell jokes sometimes which are corny, which are outright stupid, and bomb. That, to me, is funny when nobody laughs."
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx