gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:51:30 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: when was the first time you noticed or listened to the beach boys?  (Read 13499 times)
muchacho_playero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2009, 11:19:05 AM »

If there were a 'classic threads' section, this one would be a prime candidate for inclusion. May it live long.

(Adminstrators?)

it seems a good question plenty of memories

thanks don
rogerlancelot
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2009, 11:30:02 AM »

1999. I was driving one day when I heard "God Only Knows" come on the oldies station. I was immediately blown away by the key changes (I'm surprised I never noticed that song before then) so later when I got home I downloaded an mp3 vinyl rip of Pet Sounds from usenet with my 14.4 modem. It didn't all stick with me the first time but I recall also being knocked out by "Don't Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder)" and playing it over and over again driving my brother and my then girlfriend crazy.

That got my curiosity going so I started browsing various BB sites at the time and discovered the Smile Research Lab where I downloaded just about everything there was about SMiLE (don't like my capitalization then kiss my a**!) as well as Landlocked, Adult Child, etc. I was drowning in fantastic music but I still hadn't made the plunge to actually legally purchasing a product.

October, 1999. Sick with the crud and called in sick to work. My package arrived from Amazon: the Smiley / Wild Honey 2-fer imported from Canada. I put it on. After the first listen I was convinced I had been robbed of my money. After another listen or two I couldn't get enough. It became the only cd on my player.

A week later I spent the first night with the girl who would become my wife. She had a cd player but only one speaker worked on it. No problem, check out this BB cd. Got to admit that "Vegetables" scared her that night but to this day we're hardcore BB junkies. Plus beatards to boot!

P.S. I now own all of the 2-fers and a lot more.
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2009, 11:31:47 AM »

the first time i heard "bushy bushy blonde hair" blasting out of the radio speakers in '63. bought all those 49 cent 45's i could.

yep...ol' fart here..... Smiley

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2009, 11:57:33 AM »

1998: I heard Surfin' USA at a laser light show in the school gym in 5th grade.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 09:59:37 PM by Aegir » Logged

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2009, 12:20:42 PM »

I was about 9 or 10, somewhere around '65/'66, I'm in bed with the old transistor radio wedged between my ear and my pillow listen to music before I fall asleep ... then on comes a sound that just clicked in my head and sent a warm fuzzy feeling to the centre of my chest ... the song was Wendy and the sound was Brian Wilson's falsetto. Fast forward to around '69/'70 and I get one of those "Explosive Hits" LPs and it has I Can Hear Music on it, I'm hooked! Start buying up whatever albums I could although by then anything Beach Boys related in Australia was only avaialble through budget labels such as Music For Pleasure and Pickwick and were pretty hit and miss collections. By '74 In Concert was a daily soundtrack to me life and like Andrew the Nick Kent NME article and then the Dennis Wilson "The Quintisenntial Beach Boy" article in either NME or Sounds sends me off on a lifetime tangent ... and  a wonderful tangent it is!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2009, 01:23:20 PM »

This thread a little blueboard for my taste, but what the hell....

1977 a friend bought a GH's album to high school. Had always been aware of the bands existence from the radio but this was the first chance to listen to tracks back to back. Must confess that listening to the harmonies was just how Brian has described hearing the Four Freshman for the first time.
While most of my school friends were into dark punk and heavy metal, I went the other way.

My first concert was the following year, and the rest is hysterical.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2009, 01:38:24 PM »

I heard good vibrations in my then girlfriends sisters car.

I was so impressed that I went out and bought a comp album then pet sounds, and the rest is history.  Grin

I hit my obsession phase after I bought the Today! (Summer Days) and Sunflowe/Surf's Up  albums on the same day, that was a music overload of greatness.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
LittleSurferGirl
Smiley Smile Associate

.Got To Know The Woman.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2009, 02:27:44 PM »

Oh I remember this day like it just happened...

I was about 5 and got my first casette player. I wanted tapes to play right away so I begged my mom to take me to the store so I could get some tunes to play on my totally rad pink casette player Grin

She told me I could only get 2 to start off with. First one was Elvis' greatest hits and the second one was...yes...you guessed it: Endless Summer. It's been true love ever since! Love

I swear I played that tape til it broke lol...

"And If you knew how much I love you baby, Nothing could go wrong with you"

www.myspace.com/beachboys4ever [my Beach Boys fanpage]
www.myspace.com/foxybritny [personal page]
Nicole
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2009, 02:37:16 PM »

I had just turned 6 and my stepdad bought the Pet Sounds box set. After listening to all the songs, he started playing the backing tracks and called me over when God Only Knows was on. I remember him saying something about it being "magic" because he had "taken the words away," haha. I loved the song and made him make me a cassette tape of the whole Pet Sounds album. I also wore out a tape or two, I loved playing it.

That's my most vivid memory of when I first got interested, but I probably heard their songs before that since my stepdad is also a huge fan and has owned every album for years. I owe him everything for getting me hooked, I think it's the best thing he's ever given me Grin
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2009, 02:42:34 PM »

It was 1972, and I was seven years old and headed to J.C.Penney's with my life's savings- around two bucks- to buy my first (non-Bozo The Clown) vinyl.  The targets were the Beatles singles- "She Loves You" (on the Swan label, I think) and "Please Please Me" (some orange label, but not Capitol or Apple, I think).  I had been obsessed with the Beatles since before I could read. My brother suggested that for variety, my third choice should be "I Get Around" backed with "Don't Worry Baby"- he personally vouched for it.  

I was vaguely aware of the Beach Boys already, but they had a somewhat low profile in 1972, and after the subsequent blowing of my young mind that resulted from that 79 cent investment, I had some trouble finding more stuff- especially LPs.  My oldest brother saw them live at the University of Georgia that Fall, and brought me his copies of the two-for-one LPs California Girls (truncated Summer Days) and All Summer Long with bastardized covers, and the collection proceeded from there.

I still have the singles, in their little carrying case at my parents' house.

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2009, 03:29:17 PM »

1985.  I was in high school and heard Getcha Back on the radio and was hooked.  Of course I knew who the BB's were before that, and heard their classics on the radio, etc.  But Getcha Back  just sounded so good as a new song at that time.  I immediately raced down to the record store and bought the 1985 album.  A few days later I had purchased the Surfer Girl album, Pet Sounds and All Summer Long (still my favorite).  I spent that whole summer learning all I could about them.  Watched the then new American Band video, read the newly updated  David Leaf book and started waiting for that "next great Beach Boys album" written and produced by Brian which would surely be around the corner...

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2009, 03:31:35 PM »

Don't remember what year it was (and I may be totally wrong) but the first time I heard the Beach Boys was in a commercial for a drink called Orange Crush.
Sunkist...?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 03:45:08 PM by southbay » Logged

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
jeffh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2009, 03:44:28 PM »

When Surfin USA came out. All right, I'm old. I think I was in about 8th grade then. One of the advantages of being old is that I've lived through Elvis mania, Beach Boy mania, and Beatle mania. Actually as popular as the Beach Boys were, I can't say that there was any mania attached to them.  They never got anywhere near the attention or media coverage as did E or the Beatles.

Still they were my favorite group back in the day.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2009, 03:59:44 PM »

I had an older cousin who bought a tape recorder - an old reel to reel - and he asked a couple of us to come up to his bedroom to hear it. He showed us how it worked, taping The Beach Boys' new album, The Beach Boys Today. I can still remember seeing the album cover. Must've been 1965. I remember listening to "Help Me R(h)onda" and thinking they were singing, "Help me run, help, help me run..."

The first time I remember actually listening to The Beach Boys was 1974. My sister gets the credit, she bought Endless Summer, and I remember hearing it eminating through our adjacent bedroom wall - the real wall of sound! Eventually, the album ended up in my room.
MBE
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2009, 05:19:57 PM »

when was the first time you noticed or listened to the beach boys?

i guess it was five or six years ago. i saw the beach boys documentary: An American Band in tv by chance and in the nick of the time i fell in love

then mike and bruce came to argentina and it was a moment i wont forget

today im a beach boys vinyls collector, so if any of you want to give a present Tongue haha

in the beggining i didnt like the 70s and 80s albums but now i hear everything
An American Band was the way I got into them too. Heroes and Surf's Up stuck out for me. Then I bought Endless Summer and becaome a huge fan and vinyl collector too. This was back in 1988 and you know I knew about them since 1981 or so when I got into fifties and sixties music but it was the film that knocked me out.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 05:30:33 PM by MBE » Logged
mtaber
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2009, 05:49:49 PM »

I've been around a while...

I remember that my older brother had the Smiley Smile album when it first came out.  He and I and my friends (I was in 8th grade) all liked the two hits but thought the rest was crap.  My brother was trying to sell it to any of us that would take it off his hands, dirt cheap, but none of us wanted it.

Fast forward to the Sunflower period.  My brother comes into my room, slaps head phones on me and says "you gotta hear this" - from a Warner Brothers Loss Leader album, with tracks by various Warners artists, including one track from the Beach Boys -"This Whole World"!  I was hooked...

I bought the Sunflower album, loved it, and started buying everything I'd missed.  Eventually bought Smiley, basically having forgotten my prior experience with it.  Played Smiley, recognized the songs and, this time around, absolutely LOVED it. 
muchacho_playero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2009, 06:42:03 PM »

i guess it was five or six years ago. i saw the beach boys documentary: An American Band in tv by chance and in the nick of the time i fell in love

today im a beach boys vinyls collector, so if any of you want to give a present Tongue haha

An American Band was the way I got into them too. Heroes and Surf's Up stuck out for me. Then I bought Endless Summer and becaome a huge fan and vinyl collector too. This was back in 1988 and you know I knew about them since 1981 or so when I got into fifties and sixties music but it was the film that knocked me out.

Nice to meet you MBE!!

im  proud when i see the little collection i have with a lot of effort.   these vinyls are older than me!!! (im 24)
oldsurferdude
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2009, 07:51:09 PM »

the first time i heard "bushy bushy blonde hair" blasting out of the radio speakers in '63. bought all those 49 cent 45's i could.

yep...ol' fart here..... Smiley
ditto Smiley
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2009, 07:59:55 PM »

I started listening to the radio regularly in late 1962. There was this goofy, but charming, novelty song called "Ten Little Indians." The next spring I heard "Surfin' U.S.A.," "Shut Down," "Surfer Girl," and "Little Deuce Coupe" on the airwaves, and I was hooked on that amazing sound.

nobody
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2009, 08:02:54 PM »

I've been around a while...

I remember that my older brother had the Smiley Smile album when it first came out.  He and I and my friends (I was in 8th grade) all liked the two hits but thought the rest was crap.  My brother was trying to sell it to any of us that would take it off his hands, dirt cheap, but none of us wanted it.

Fast forward to the Sunflower period.  My brother comes into my room, slaps head phones on me and says "you gotta hear this" - from a Warner Brothers Loss Leader album, with tracks by various Warners artists, including one track from the Beach Boys -"This Whole World"!  I was hooked...

I bought the Sunflower album, loved it, and started buying everything I'd missed.  Eventually bought Smiley, basically having forgotten my prior experience with it.  Played Smiley, recognized the songs and, this time around, absolutely LOVED it. 

That's a beautiful story, friend. Thank you for sharing it.  Smiley
MBE
« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2009, 09:02:11 PM »

Nice to meet you MBE!!

im  proud when i see the little collection i have with a lot of effort.   these vinyls are older than me!!! (im 24)
I'm 33 but most of the records I have were either pressed or recorded before I was born too.
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2009, 09:28:04 PM »

I started listening to the radio regularly in late 1962. There was this goofy, but charming, novelty song called "Ten Little Indians." The next spring I heard "Surfin' U.S.A.," "Shut Down," "Surfer Girl," and "Little Deuce Coupe" on the airwaves, and I was hooked on that amazing sound. 

Ladies and gentlemen, I believe Emdeeh has all of our arses kicked, unless anyone here was living on West 119th Street or Kornblum Avenue in about 1960.

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2009, 10:25:29 PM »

In 1702 I heard the Surfin Bach album. Unfortunately, I died before Brian Wilson was born.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2009, 11:55:43 PM »

In 1702 I heard the Surfin Bach album. Unfortunately, I died before Brian Wilson was born.

LOL dramatic... but you can't win 'em all, I says. You were deep into the Bach Boys then? How about Beathoven? And you had the honour of hearing Lady Lynda some 276 years before us mere mortals then...

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2009, 12:11:46 AM »

Being born in 1978, I've been familiar with their biggest hits for as long as I can remember. The first time I noticed their music was special was when I was in a car with some friends on a beautiful day, 'I Get Around' came on the radio and we all spontaneously started singing and clapping along. So I bought a greatest hits CD ('The Very Best Of', the one with a yellow and blue picture of a surfer with a white frame around it) and left it at that for a couple of years. I was so heavily into punk rock at the time that I wasn't interested in seriously getting into any pop group. I saw that one BB CD as a "guilty pleasure", actually.

But as with most people, my musical taste mellowed with age and The Beatles became my favorite band in the world. The drummer of my band was a big Beach Boys fan. Even though he was the same age as me, he had first pressings of all their LPs. So we often had discussions about which band was better. I liked The Beach Boys, but I thought there was no way that any surf song could be better than 'Penny Lane', 'Let It Be' or 'Strawberry Fields Forever'. So the drummer then advised me to check out 'Pet Sounds' and the 'Sunflower'/'Surf's Up' 2fer, and I did. I was hooked right away. Two weeks later I sent him an e-mail saying "You were right. They're better." That was about five years ago and I've been listening to The Beach Boys every day ever since. Including solo releases, I now own about 130 Beach Boys CDs, 100 7" singles and 50 LPs.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 12:33:21 AM by shelter » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx