gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680854 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 01:28:16 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian on Rubber Soul  (Read 2122 times)
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 01, 2009, 02:10:15 PM »

From Peter Ames Carlin's book about McCartney (or maybe from his research):

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/music/beatles/article6818698.ece
MBE
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 03:09:57 PM »

From Peter Ames Carlin's book about McCartney (or maybe from his research):

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/music/beatles/article6818698.ece
That really impressed me. It's my favorite Beatles LP too and Brian really hit on a lot of the reasons I love it myself.
Ganz Allein
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 05:35:49 PM »

Rubber Soul is one of my very favorite Beatles albums, and I agree with Brian's reasons, too. Interesting that his other favorite is Let it Be, one that's not too often mentioned as a favorite of Beatle fans because of Phil Spector's often inappropriate production (like on The Long & Winding Road).  Oh, wait, it's probably BECAUSE Phil Spector produced it Razz  Seriously, I do recall reading interviews where Brian mentions really liking the title song a lot.
MBE
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 08:10:34 PM »

According to John Milwords nice photo journal from 1986 Let It Be was the song Brian said was cloest to his heart. Can you imagine how pretty a circa 1970 cover version would have been?
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 09:08:55 PM »

Thanks for posting that.  Nice to see Brian elaborate on his love for the album, more than the usual statements he's given. 
Ganz Allein
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 09:41:33 PM »

I wonder if Brian's got the new Beatles Mono Box set since he's a mono guy.  To me, Rubber Soul (as well as a few other early Beatle albums) sounds much better in mono. The stereo version is just goofy, with vocals panned hard right and instruments at the left.  The mono version sounds like a band.
DAMAGED
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 11:30:53 PM »

I think it's fairly likely that Brian would have first heard the US version not the UK "as the Beatles intended" version.
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 11:39:07 PM »

I think it's fairly likely that Brian would have first heard the US version not the UK "as the Beatles intended" version.
Especially if he heard it in November, a few weeks before its release.  To me that would imply some connection to the Capitol A&R department.
Ganz Allein
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2009, 09:39:08 AM »

Especially if he heard it in November, a few weeks before its release.  To me that would imply some connection to the Capitol A&R department.

True, Brian would've heard the US version first, but it could well have been in mono since Capitol released both stereo and mono versions at the time.
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2009, 06:45:47 PM »

Well, whatever Brian heard, he pretty much heard it in mono, right?

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx