gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 06:28:53 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who let Bruce write songs for the album?  (Read 11836 times)
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: September 28, 2009, 11:13:01 PM »

I say anyone who doesn't appreciate Tears In The Morning is one lucky sob/dob because they probably haven't had their heart broken.
I'm not a fan of the song, but I've definitely had my heart broken...
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2009, 11:17:59 PM »

If I were to grade Bruce's Beach Boys songs:

These grades are on a Beach Boys curve...in comparison to other Beach Boys songs, but not music in general.

Disney Girls - A
Deirdre - B+
At My Window - B+
The Nearest Faraway Place - B+
Endless Harmony - B-
She Believes In Love Again - C+
Slow Summer Dancin' (One Summer Night) - C
Tears In The Morning - D-
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2009, 11:20:44 PM »

"At My Window" is a Brian song! "At My Window" is a classic Brian-stream-of-consciousness song, like "I'd Love Just Once to See You" or "Busy Doin' Nothin". How do people not like it?
Being a Brian song isn't a free pass. Sure (in my opinion) Brian songs have tended to be better, but that certainly isn't a reason for me to like a song.
I know. But I felt like mentioning it's a Brian song because most people consider it a "Bruce song" just because he sings lead (see the post directly above me).

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
GLarson432
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 29, 2009, 02:08:37 AM »

I think this thread is talking about what is known as "The Lost Hotel Tape".  Recorded/filmed on July 2nd, 1990 in Toronto.  July 4th, 1990, in Maine was Jeff Foskett's final day as a member of the Beach Boys' backing member.

Please correct me, anybody, if I'm wrong about any of this.

Greg
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: September 29, 2009, 02:16:28 AM »

I think this thread is talking about what is known as "The Lost Hotel Tape".  Recorded/filmed on July 2nd, 1990 in Toronto.  July 4th, 1990, in Maine was Jeff Foskett's final day as a member of the Beach Boys' backing member.

Please correct me, anybody, if I'm wrong about any of this.

Greg

Huh
 Huh
 Huh
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: September 29, 2009, 02:50:06 AM »

'Deirdre' is one of my favourites on the album, certainly better than that Dennis tosh 'got to know the woman'. If Bruce was a McCartney lover then good for him, he knows how to write a good song...

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 29, 2009, 07:06:02 AM »

Got to Know the Woman is goofy but it's supposed to be goofy - Dennis laughs while singing it!  And I dig it.  It's About Time doesn't have great lyrics but the way it's produced and sung it all works and the lyrics don't stick out.  Cool Cool Water's lyrics ("such a gas?") are lame in spots but it's part of the song's charm.

I have to agree that Add some Music's lyrics, despite Brian's affirmations of it being his favorite lyrics, are pretty lame-o.  I'm an "At my window" fan also despite the lyrics.  But Good Time?  There's a reason it was dropped from the lineup - falsies on?  cookin - good lookin'?  Some of the best music of the period but horrible lyrics.  Pay's only slightly better.  It's too bad Brian wasn't looking for outside lyricists at this time that could have turned these tunes into classics.
sleeptalk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 29, 2009, 02:38:16 PM »

Sunflower has 5 truly great songs on it. "Deirdre" and "Tears" are two of them.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 29, 2009, 03:14:28 PM »

Only in an alternate Beach Boys universe like Bizarro-World!

Slip On Through, Forever, This Whole World, All I Wanna Do, and Cool Cool Water.
rogerlancelot
« Reply #59 on: September 29, 2009, 03:49:10 PM »

I was just saying that it's easy to skip "At My Window" because it doesn't stand out as much as the other songs. You have to admit "Tears In The Morning" will make you take notice right from the intro whether you like it or not. I think I'll get my fix of it right now!  Smokin
sleeptalk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 29, 2009, 04:57:39 PM »

Only in an alternate Beach Boys universe like Bizarro-World!

Slip On Through, Forever, This Whole World, All I Wanna Do, and Cool Cool Water.

replace "Slip" and "World" with the 2 Bruce tunes and you have my list!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 30, 2009, 07:40:46 PM »

'This Whole World' isn't one of your personal best on Sunflower? May i ask why? It's one of the last balls-out Brian songs, that disappeared until Love You, and then not in the same way. The production, harmonies and construction are all insanely good, what with it's 4+ key changes and incredibly lush sound....

All in my personal opinion, of course  Roll Eyes

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 30, 2009, 07:55:14 PM »

OH BOY when Sunflower 1st came out i was a senior in high school + i took a bunch of merda for liking that lp..Then 1 yr later Surfs Up came out + everything was OK..The stoners off the day like the mix of the lp ..Most of the songs to..But Sunflower..UMM..Nobody got it at first till they started to play it live..IMO..
sleeptalk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 30, 2009, 10:06:02 PM »

'This Whole World' isn't one of your personal best on Sunflower? May i ask why? It's one of the last balls-out Brian songs, that disappeared until Love You, and then not in the same way. The production, harmonies and construction are all insanely good, what with it's 4+ key changes and incredibly lush sound....

All in my personal opinion, of course  Roll Eyes

i love "this whole world" and it's great, i'd just put it 6th behind the others...it's a really, really solid album.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx