gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 05:47:17 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who let Bruce write songs for the album?  (Read 11835 times)
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2009, 05:10:00 AM »

I have been waiting for Bruce to show up here for years ... keep him over at the Blue Board.

Blue?  I've never seen him post there, but I see him on the yellow board regularly.

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
Nicko1234
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2009, 06:17:17 AM »

When was "When Girls Get Together" recorded? From memory it sounds like it was that same period of time. I'd exchange that for "Tears In The Morning". If it weren't for the slightly wandering melody the former would be a truly great song I think. Or maybe that's what makes it so great already.

Each to their own but I don`t think the former song is particularly well liked. Tears in the Morning isn`t particularly to my tastes too but it fits in with the rest of the album. I would say the same about Got to Know the Woman which be the first I would cut with Lady in its place.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2009, 08:00:24 AM »

Besides When Girls Get together, you have the following options to replace Bruce's songs:
Loop de Loop, San Miguel, Lady/Fallin' in Love, Games 2 Can Play, I Just Got My Pay, and Good Time.  And I'm Going Your Way.

If I had to replace them, I'd choose Games 2 Can Play and Loop de Loop - even though the Dennis songs are better, more Dennis would destroy the "beach Boys" balance of the record.  Good Time and Pay's lyrics are just too wretched to put alongside the rest of Sunflower IMO.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2009, 08:13:11 AM »

Good Time's and Pay's lyrics are too wretched to be placed alongside those verbal masterworks Got To Know the Woman, At My Window, and It's About Time? For that matter, I've never understood what all the lyrical fuss about Add Some Music was. OK, so Brian says he thinks they're great lyrics, but that's hardly an endorsement I'd take to heart. If I were replacing two songs on Sunflower, I doubt either would be a Bruce song. Maybe Tears, but not Deirdre. I'd pull It's About Time for sure, then either AMW, Tears or Got to Know... The two I'd add would be Good Time and either Loop de Loop, Lady/FiL, or Games.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
rogerlancelot
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2009, 04:23:10 PM »

I must be alone on this but I wouldn't change a single track on Sunflower. It is true that there are many other great songs from that era but changing that album would be like changing Abbey Road. It's perfect as it is and I for one rather enjoy Bruce's 2 songs on here especially "Tears In The Morning". I for one am not a huge fan of Going Pubic however but I do like his contributions to 20/20 through Surf's Up. Okay I might be able to live without "At My Window" or "Cool Cool Water" but there is really nothing wrong with either of those tracks (and to some of you may be your favorites) but I would never cut anything off of it just merely tack on some bonus tracks at the end.  Cool Guy
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2009, 08:04:52 PM »

The cool thing about "Deirdre" and "Tears in the Morning" is that "Deirdre" is about a happy return, and a few tracks in "Tears in the Morning" she runs away again. Listening to "Deirdre" every time after that is colored by the fact that you know "Tears" is coming up a few tracks later.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2009, 08:29:10 PM »

If I were to change one thing about Sunflower, it would be a different opening track. Not to replace Slip On Through (Although, I would), but move it. I think that It's About Time would be a much better opening track or Soulful Old Man Sunshine.

As for Bruce's songs, I have no problem with his song writing or producing. It is his voice I don't care for. He has a good voice, but his lead vocal style doesn't fit the BBs. Endless Summer is hard to listen to until Carl takes the lead. Then it becomes one of the most beautiful sections I've heard on a BB song. Of course that may have more to do with Carl then Bruce, but you still have to credit Bruce for writing it.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2009, 11:44:49 PM »

Deirdre - Yes!!
Tears In The Morning - Noooo!

People talk about HCTN being out of place and an interruption on LA Light Album, or even Sloop John B on Pet Sounds...I actually love both exactly the way they are on there.  If there is any song that has jarringly interrupted an otherwise perfectly good album, it's Tears In The Morning.  Beautiful backing vocals, but overall just WAY too schmaltzy and annoying.
rogerlancelot
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2009, 12:36:12 AM »

Not to get too far off topic here but I was thinking of other songs that seemed out of place on an album:

Surf's Up = Student Demonstration Time

Friends = Transcendental Meditation

So Tough = Dennis songs? (still love them!)

I'll stop there. Just saying I love Tears In The Morning. Very, very emotional song and fantastic arrangement of instruments and voices. Deirdre took me longer to appreciate but I learned to love it as well. So much great music in the whole catalog really!
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2009, 12:54:34 AM »

People who want "At My Window" off of Sunflower? And what of those people who want "Diamond Head" off Friends? of They're all crazy! "Loop De Loop" on Sunflower? "Loop De Loop"?! You think most people would like it better that way? Really? REALLY?!! I think maybe you've just listened to the albums too many times and that you're overrating a song based on the novelty value it has when it's placed in the middle of an overly familiar track list.
Nicko1234
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2009, 02:04:14 AM »

Yeah, I think Loop de Loop wouldn`t have helped Sunflower at all and wouldn`t really have fit. Soulful Old Sunshine would have stuck out even more.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2009, 03:47:12 AM »

I'm always torn by the presence of Bruce's tunes/songs on the BBs' LPs*.

Tears, Dierdre, The Nearest Faraway Place... it's like there's great melodies and harmonies but, when it came to the production recipe, Bruce misread the bit about "2lb of sugar or syrup", and somehow put in 2lb of sugar and syrup.

Disney Girls is undoubtedly his finest Beach Boys moment.

* Medium which predated CDs

“We live in divisive times.”
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2009, 08:16:05 AM »

Tears is a wonderful song, and as someone mentioned the instrumental is just something else man.

Also really dig Disney Girls....such a sweet tune. faaantasy world and dis-a-ney girllssss...im coming back.

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2009, 09:44:05 AM »

I thinke Deirdre is fine. Tears and At My Window are the two from Sunflower that don't do it for me. If we're rewriting history, I have a true fantasy scenario:

The Beach Boys meet Rieley earlier, say just after 20/20 came out. He starts their makeover - stage clothes, longer sets, connecting with the "hip" crowd earlier - and tells them not to waste prime material for the final single they owe Capitol, to save it for the future deal he will negotiate with them.

So after releasing their final, unsuccessful Capitol single, Games Two Can Play/We're Together Again, and generating some buzz with their improved live act, the Boys release their first Warners album, Breakaway:

Side 1:

Breakaway
Celebrate the News
This Whole World
Add Some Music
Deirdre
It's About Time

Side B

Slip on Through
San Miguel
All I Wanna Do
Our Sweet Love
Forever
Cool, Cool Water

This would be a million-and-two seller.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2009, 01:29:34 PM »

"At My Window" is a Brian song! "At My Window" is a classic Brian-stream-of-consciousness song, like "I'd Love Just Once to See You" or "Busy Doin' Nothin". How do people not like it?

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Nicko1234
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2009, 02:52:52 PM »

"At My Window" is a Brian song! "At My Window" is a classic Brian-stream-of-consciousness song, like "I'd Love Just Once to See You" or "Busy Doin' Nothin". How do people not like it?

Hasn`t Al said in interviews that Brian didn`t have that much to do with the song?
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2009, 03:47:09 PM »

I LOVE it!
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2009, 05:07:49 PM »

I honestly love all Bruce's BBs songs!

Disney Girls is one of my top 5 favorite songs of all-time! Not just Beach Boys songs! And considering the amount of cover versions it's gotten, I'd say it's something of a universally beloved song, Beach Boys connection or not.

Most bands need a good utility man and Bruce was more than up to the task. He looked the part/sounded the part, yet still retained his own identity. And Goin Public is a nice slab of Southern California 70's chill!

Bruce is all good in my book!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2009, 05:11:26 PM »

Being a Brian song isn't a free pass. Sure (in my opinion) Brian songs have tended to be better, but that certainly isn't a reason for me to like a song.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Sciencefriction
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2009, 06:36:21 PM »

Whenever I listen to the songs Bruce wrote for Sunflower/Surf's Up I really don't think they are as schmaltzy as the other soft hits of that period.  Later, Bruce became extremely schmaltzy, but I always felt those early 70s songs had beautiful melodies and artistic depth alongside the sweetness.  I can't explain the connection I feel from those songs Bruce wrote.  Disney Girls has to be the one of the most beautiful songs, it gets me every time.  Maybe you have to have felt some sort of regret or nostalgia in your life and have accepted that before you can appreciate some of Bruce's work.  I think I'm just a strange Beach Boys fan (that's new) among strange Beach Boys fans.  I even like Student Demonstration Time, I think it has a GREAT backing track and vocal from Mike.  Regardless, I don't think Sunflower can really be changed.  I've always felt songs like San Miguel, Celebrate The News, and Loop de Loop (to name a few) were all weaker than what was released on Sunflower.  The only song I've really wished had been record properly and released is I'm Going Your Way (as long as they changed the guitar solo..). 
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2009, 06:54:43 PM »

The Surf's Up album has three classic songs: Title track, Til I Die And Disney Girls. The Beach Boys were very lucky for having chosen him to sub for Brian on the road.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2009, 07:06:55 PM »

I say anyone who doesn't appreciate Tears In The Morning is one lucky sob/dob because they probably haven't had their heart broken.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2009, 07:07:13 PM »

It's a bit lightweight - some of the harmonies are killer, but i always heard it more as Al imitating that conversational Brian style.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2009, 08:46:10 PM »

I'll tell you what part of "At My Window" Brian definitely did: those brilliant bird noises harmonizing with the rest of the song. I'm not sure if it's an actual bird or someone (Brian?) imitating a bird, but whatever it is, it works. Although I'm sure the genesis of the song lies with Al, as it's a loose cover of the Kingston Trio's "Raspberries, Strawberries", there's also these moments of underlying tension in the song that I find hard to believe that Al came up with by himself, and the F#m7/C#/B7/E chord change during the "he came to my window" refrain is very Brian. But, then again, it could all be Al, I suppose. Of course, he also probably considers himself a major part of the "Sloop John B" hit cover because he added a chord.
MBE
« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2009, 10:04:46 PM »

Sunflower I wouldn't change a thing except to delete the piano solo at the end of Tears. It just drags the song down, and was a little low volume wise. Other then that it's my very favorite album period.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx