-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:57:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Endless Summer Quarterly
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  My Name Is Earl
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: My Name Is Earl  (Read 3978 times)
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 21, 2009, 05:41:39 PM »

Cancelled.

One of the few bright spots in my life.  Gone.

NBC sucks.

Guess there are too few reality programs and the Earl characters can't compete with the reality of the tatooed, food stamping, junk food guzzling, rat reproducing, meth smoking characters that now seem to represent mainstream america.
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 06:30:59 PM »

Where did it go?  Was it cancelled?

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
Wilsonista
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 08:29:01 PM »

Yes it was cancelled at the end of last season. Apparently, the show's producers were led to believe that it would be returning because they shot a season ending cliffhanger.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 08:45:50 AM »

If they could put Steve Carell in as Earl, Tracy Morgan as Crabman, Amy Pohler as Joy , and Tiny Fey as Catalina, NBC would probably be selling it at every opportunity and it would get tons of Emmys.

I do believe the fix is and has been in.  NBC did not promote this show.  I think someone didn't GET the show and there may have been fear of crossing taste or pc boundaries.  Whose taste I can't imagine givin the flood of gawdawfui so called reality and mocumentary shows.

Afro  Hey Crabman!   Hey Earl!
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 10:43:42 AM »

Be happy it lasted this long. A few years back, I was angry when Fox cancelled Judd Apatow's "Undeclared" after only 16 episodes...but even when it was on, Fox ran the episodes completely out of order, banned one episode from airing, and sometimes co-opted the timeslot with episodes of either "That 70s Show" or "That 80s Show". I'm just glad that the DVD medium exists, so I can still watch my shows when they are long-gone off the air!
And...  Judd Apatow got the last laugh...he and several of the actors he works with (Seth Rogen, Jay Baruchel, Martin Starr, Jonah Hill, Jason Segal, Paul Rudd, Carla Gallo, etc.) have become household names since then.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 12:00:39 PM by Alex » Logged

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 11:52:24 AM »

I'm certainly not alone in having my favorite show cancelled,  True.  I was just so surprised at MNIE being cancelled.  I had thought it was a top show on NBC's Thursday night lineup.   I like 30 Rock also, and that is watched by relatively few people but gets emmy awards and remains on the air.

I loathe The Office and Parks and Recreation on NBC's Thursday night lineup.  That mocumentary premise is not really funny and has become very stale and boringly predictable.  They must be cheap to film.  That is the only explanation for the popularituy of pretend  reality programming and mockumentary/reality shows. 

Everything on TV seems to be using the unrealityreality format.  The news, talk shows, nancy grace, cnn, fox, tv guide channel, food shows, sport shows, foda everything is some kind of contest with people screaming and hollering.  What next?  Who will be voted off the Anderson Cooper survivor/discussion panel?
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 12:02:34 PM »

I'm certainly not alone in having my favorite show cancelled,  True.  I was just so surprised at MNIE being cancelled.  I had thought it was a top show on NBC's Thursday night lineup.   I like 30 Rock also, and that is watched by relatively few people but gets emmy awards and remains on the air.

I loathe The Office and Parks and Recreation on NBC's Thursday night lineup.  That mocumentary premise is not really funny and has become very stale and boringly predictable.  They must be cheap to film.  That is the only explanation for the popularituy of pretend  reality programming and mockumentary/reality shows. 

Everything on TV seems to be using the unrealityreality format.  The news, talk shows, nancy grace, cnn, fox, tv guide channel, food shows, sport shows, foda everything is some kind of contest with people screaming and hollering.  What next?  Who will be voted off the Anderson Cooper survivor/discussion panel?

Makes me glad I haven't had cable in over 9 months...

Well, at least Jon Stewart is still on the air!!

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 12:17:00 PM »

Makes me glad I haven't had cable in over 9 months...

Well, at least Jon Stewart is still on the air!!
[/quote]

I like John Stewart but even THAT is pseudo news crossing the reality/entertainment boundary.  It's getting harder to tell Anderson Cooper's  from John Stewart's.

As Kilgore Trout said to his bird:  "It won't be long now Bill".
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: