gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:25:51 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Lei'd In Hawaii Questions  (Read 20892 times)
The infamous Baldwin Organ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 21, 2009, 08:39:46 AM »

The Lei'd In Hawaii era Beach Boys might be the single most interesting time period to me, but it also seems to have much more limited information available about it.

One question in particular I have is, when the group went into Wally Heider Studios to re-record their live performances for release, is there the possibility that they completed any more songs than the ones that circulate on unofficial releases? The ones that I have seen exist are:

1. California Girls
2. Help 'You' Rhonda
3. You're So Good To Me
4. Surfer Girl
5. The Letter
6.Heroes & Villans (with voiceover at the end)
7. Their Hearts Were Full of Spring
8. God Only Knows
9. An organ fragment from 'Surfin'

Is it known that these were the only songs recorded? Or is it possible that there were other songs recorded still in the archives? Forgive me if these are stupid questions, I'm not expert!  angel
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 08:44:02 AM »

Was 'Their Hearts Were Full of Spring' recorded during the Wally Heider sessions? I thought it was part of a rehearsal (before the show?) But if they did record it later, why? It wasn't performed at the concert

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 10:19:13 AM »

"Their Hearts..." is from the Hawaii recordings, not the Heider session.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 01:58:39 PM »

I was going to start a "Lei'd in Hawaii"-thread myself, so this is a very welcome topic to me.
My question is about the footage. It's been often said in the past, that the whole concerts and some rehearsals were filmed. How true is that? The footage we know doesn't look that professional.

And "Good vibrations" from "Hawthorne" comes from what? The rehearsal or the cleaning-session? Anyway I think those concerts are fascinating and though the performances were very loose and not great at all, there's still that certain magic the Beach Boys always had. Especially with Brian there. I think they did a very good job of doing "H&V" live and if they would've been clean, it probably could've been a great concert and something they could have done (featuring Bruce and Brian) at Monterey without being afraid

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 02:31:20 PM »

And "Good vibrations" from "Hawthorne" comes from what? The rehearsal or the cleaning-session?

That's from the rehearsal for the 8/25 gig.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
wallabie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 02:42:09 PM »

Hawaii... yeah, they didnīt do much rehersal did they? So it must have sound "interessting"... if I just image that Brian played on his organ and ... who was it - Alan? Alan played Bass didnīt he? And he hásnīt played Bass since 1963... so what were they thinking? Does anyone know why Brian "refuses" to play Bass on the Show... and Bruce didnīt go on the trip because... because the guys drink and smoked to much.... ?

"Even a broken clock is right twice a day"
www.beachboys-germany.com
Jason
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 04:27:26 PM »

Good Vibrations and a cover of the Wayne Fontana and the Mindbenders hit Game Of Love were also recorded during the Heider sweetening sessions.

As far as Lei'd In Hawaii concert recordings go, just the two shows exist. Then the rehearsals, which we most likely have not heard all of. Then the sweetening sessions.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2009, 08:45:11 PM »

Its incorrect to say Brian refused to play bass-since a brief film clip in American Band clearly shows him onstage playing it (it is at the end of the Pet Sound montage-right after God Only Knows clip).  It is clear from the tapes too-that he was upfront for some songs. He just stayed on organ for some of the show
MBE
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2009, 10:25:36 PM »

I think they are good shows. Sure they needed some more rehearsal and a little less pot, but it's really cool to hear Brian doing the 65-67 music live with the others.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2009, 12:05:21 AM »

The rehearsal version of "Surfer Girl" beats the original, for me. The more subtle, understated arrangement is just beautiful.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2009, 12:45:47 AM »

... and not to forget the raw intimacy of God Only Knows ...
MBE
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2009, 02:19:16 AM »

The rehearsal version of "Surfer Girl" beats the original, for me. The more subtle, understated arrangement is just beautiful.
Agreed I love the end of the version they didn't put on the box set.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2009, 05:42:49 AM »

And "Good vibrations" from "Hawthorne" comes from what? The rehearsal or the cleaning-session?

That's from the rehearsal for the 8/25 gig.

Ah, thank you ! I think that version is really great (was Bruce there for the rehearsal?). Like a smiley-smile GV (like they say in the booklet). In fact the Wally Heider-sessions have an awesome sound all around. Really great. If Smiley Smile wasn't made at Brian's house but in a real studio like Heider's, it would've sounded much better, probably like these sessions.

I think GOK (from Endelss Harmony) stands almost eye-to-eye with the original recording.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2009, 06:13:45 AM »

Wally Heider's God Only Knows is genius. Beautiful take.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2009, 06:51:07 AM »

So there are more tapes in the archives from the rehearsals before the concert then?

I wonder what other tunes are on those tapes. I know I'm dreaming, but it would be really cool as a fan to take the best of all of the rehearsals, live performances, and the Wally Heider sessions and make a genuine fake album that never happened.  Grin

I love the Smiley Smile era stuff, too bad it didn't last longer. Bring back the organ guys!  3D
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2009, 06:53:15 AM »

So there are more tapes in the archives from the rehearsals before the concert then?

I wonder what other tunes are on those tapes. I know I'm dreaming, but it would be really cool as a fan to take the best of all of the rehearsals, live performances, and the Wally Heider sessions and make a genuine fake album that never happened.  Grin

I love the Smiley Smile era stuff, too bad it didn't last longer. Bring back the organ guys!  3D

I think it would be great if there was some heavy remastering done on the shows.
Oh, and just a reminder for anyone in the know:
It's been often said in the past, that the whole concerts and some rehearsals were filmed. How true is that? The footage we know doesn't look that professional.

- Jack Rieley
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2009, 07:18:04 AM »

I think it would be great if there was some heavy remastering done on the shows.
Oh, and just a reminder for anyone in the know:
It's been often said in the past, that the whole concerts and some rehearsals were filmed. How true is that? The footage we know doesn't look that professional.

This has come up before and my understanding is that some of the concerts were filmed but not professionally and with no sound.  Correct me on this if I'm wrong.

I would love to hear a complete Heroes and Villains Wally Heider take without the Mike Love monologue - until the "comedy" bit starts, it sounds really good!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2009, 07:49:49 AM »

This has come up before and my understanding is that some of the concerts were filmed but not professionally and with no sound.  Correct me on this if I'm wrong.

I would love to hear a complete Heroes and Villains Wally Heider take without the Mike Love monologue - until the "comedy" bit starts, it sounds really good!

That is interesting, because than there is at least the possibility of being able to sync the un-professionally filmed video without audio to the audio recorded from the soundboard. That would be an amazing release in my opinion.

I would also like to see the Heroes and Villains released without the monologue. Maybe they could consider this project for the anniversarry releases as well?

The Complete Lei'd In Hawaii Experience: The Fake Live Album Than Never Was!!   LOL
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2009, 08:25:09 AM »

I think they are good shows. Sure they needed some more rehearsal and a little less pot, but it's really cool to hear Brian doing the 65-67 music live with the others.
I don't think pot was the problem...I've always heard from reliable sources that Brian had a plan for the band to take LSD at the Hawaii shows, and the footage looks like at least the other two Wilsons went along with the suggestion.  Brian looks speeded out with the weird mouth contortions(which acid can definitely do), Carl and Dennis have that acid look to me...dilated pupils. I really think they were frying.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2009, 08:26:11 AM »

If that's the case, I'm surprised they performed as well as they did!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2009, 09:04:47 AM »

I don't think pot was the problem...I've always heard from reliable sources that Brian had a plan for the band to take LSD at the Hawaii shows, and the footage looks like at least the other two Wilsons went along with the suggestion.  Brian looks speeded out with the weird mouth contortions(which acid can definitely do), Carl and Dennis have that acid look to me...dilated pupils. I really think they were frying.

Wasn't part of the plan also that the audience should bring along ukuleles to play ?
For me it's hard to discuss their behaviors because the footage on the AAB is edited quite horribly, especially on the often used GOK-clip. It'd be very interesting to see that whole footage without any edits.

- Jack Rieley
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2009, 10:04:01 AM »

"I've always heard from reliable sources that Brian had a plan for the band to take LSD at the Hawaii shows."  Hence Bruce's "fishing trip",   presumably.  Bruce was there for the post-concert work but I'm assuming he wasn't at the genuine rehearsals, unless he changed his mind late on...
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2009, 10:16:11 AM »

As far as the recordings I have heard, Bruce was only present during the Wally Heider session, and not at the Hawaii Rehearsals.

I tried to ask Bruce about that on the Beach Boys Britain message board, but he didn't get to my question that time around.

I don't hear Bruce anywhere on the Smiley Smile record; is he on there? If not, why not? I've been very curious about that.  Undecided
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2009, 10:20:41 AM »

As far as the recordings I have heard, Bruce was only present during the Wally Heider session, and not at the Hawaii Rehearsals.

I tried to ask Bruce about that on the Beach Boys Britain message board, but he didn't get to my question that time around.

I don't hear Bruce anywhere on the Smiley Smile record; is he on there? If not, why not? I've been very curious about that.  Undecided
Too much  Smokin Smokin Cool Guy Cool Guy for ol' Brucie!

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2009, 10:40:47 AM »

My question is about the footage. It's been often said in the past, that the whole concerts and some rehearsals were filmed. How true is that? The footage we know doesn't look that professional.

For me it's hard to discuss their behaviors because the footage on the AAB is edited quite horribly, especially on the often used GOK-clip. It'd be very interesting to see that whole footage without any edits.

Some of the footage has been edited elsewhere with better results, hasn't it?  It most certainly wasn't shot professionally; Dennis 'supervised' the shooting, and for some reason, he could never grasp that you simply had to have a sync track, as least as a guide.  He always wanted to use the best sound quality possible, and felt he could achieve sync later on.(Although it turns out he was more right than I realized, with the way I've seen some of my 16mm silent footage sync'd later on, particularly by Mr. Boyd!  However I was always shooting crystal sync, as if sound was recording, so my speed is usually correct.)  The fellow who did shoot this stuff had no business with a camera in his hands, anyway, but thank heavens he was there, especially for the exteriors.  He was forced on me as a sound man years later, and I couldn't believe how incompetent he was...  Almost had to clock him...
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx