gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:09:37 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: This Week in BB History December 6-18  (Read 3508 times)
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 06, 2019, 07:54:11 PM »

Dec 6 1962-The BBs played at the opening of the second of Bob Eubanks’ Cinnamon Cinder nightclubs in Long Beach, CA-with Jan and Dean, Sandy Nelson and the Challengers.  Lots of celebrities attended as well-including Frankie Avalon
Dec 12 1962-Dennis participated in a recording session with Gary Usher-they recorded RPM, Barefoot Adventure, My Stingray. The songs were released as The Four Speeds.  Dec 17 1962-The BBs allegedly played a show at the Earl Warren Show Grounds in Santa Barbara.  I say allegedly because I’ve yet to find any evidence of this-other than Murry mentioning it in a 1971 interview.

Dec 13 1963-According to Brad Elliot, Brian recorded “The Story of My Life” and “Thinkin’ about You Baby”-recorded by Sharon Marie-on this date at an unknown studio.  Circa December 14 1964-Around this date, the BBs taped their first appearance on Shindig-Singing live over Taped Tracks-Dance, Dance, Dance, Little Saint Nick, Monster Mash, Papa Oom-Mow-Mow, Johnny B Goode and We Three Kings of Orient. A fun appearance.  Dec 16 1964-The BBs recorded the track for Kiss Me Baby.  Around this time the BBs also taped an appearance on
The Bob Hope TV Comedy Special in Burbank-they played Dance, Dance, Dance and the Man with All the Toys.  I don’t know what day this was taped but I know it was prior to Dec 18 since a reviewer who saw a preview of the show reviewed it in a newspaper that morning)

Dec 8 1965-The BBs were advertised as attending the Beat Pop Music Awards at Dave Hull’s Hullabaloo Nightclub-Brian was probably there but I’ve never seen a photo or writeup about this event.  Dec 6 1966-The BBs were at Columbia Studios to work on Cabinessence (Vocals-Have You seen the Grand Coulee tag), Child Is Father to the Man (Vocals).  They returned on Dec 11 to work more on Cabinessence and held a session there on December 13 to work on Heroes and Villains (according to Craig’s sessionography this tape is lost).  Two days later they were back again to be filmed by CBS TV for Inside Pop.  Obviously, this tape is the Holy Grail of lost BB footage. They worked on You’re Welcome, Wonderful (backing Vocals added to Oct 6 lead), Surfs Up (Vocal by Brian at Midnight).  They decided to reshoot Brian playing Surf’s Up at his home on Dec 17 1966-without a doubt one of the greatest performances by BW in his prime.

Dec 15 1967-The BBs appeared at the televised UNICEF Gala taped in Paris. The BBs dressed in white suits (Bruce with moustache), performed “Barbara Ann”, “God Only Knows” and “O Come All Ye Faithful” prior to Marlon Brando’s performance of a Tahitian dance! John and George were there with their wives and following the show, they introduced the Beach Boys to Maharishi, who gave them a mantra and explained TM.  Ironically, Mike, who’d become the most devout meditator in the group, missed the meeting as he had decided to fly on to London immediately after the show.  An excited Dennis had to get on the phone with him and convince him to return to be initiated.  I have interviews from a few days later and it’s clear they all were really turned on by meeting him.  He had a real charisma, I guess.  On December 18 the BBs were all back in London to appear on the Pop Inn Show on BBC Radio.

Dec 6, 1968-The BBs appeared at the Odeon Theater in Birmingham. This was the tour with Barry Ryan, Bruce Channel, Vanity Fare, Eclection and Sharon Tandy with Fleur De Lys. The next day the tour played the Capitol Theater, Cardiff and then the Finsbury Park Astoria on December 8-as you know these shows were recorded and released as the LP Live in London. The other show that night is also available as a download.  Desper told me that he was unaware that EMI was taping them that night and was surprised when the LP came out.  I believe it was discussed on the boards that there is some paperwork suggesting that Glyn Johns was there-possibly making a separate mix for EMI. 

Dec 9 1968-Back in the States, Brian was producing the Honeys versions of Tonight You Belong to Me and Goodnight My Love. I quite like this single (overdubs/vocals were done on Dec 13)-but it didn’t chart of course.  Despite BW’s involvement-The Honeys never quite made it with the public.  That same day the BBs were taping for Top of the Pops. The BBs were filmed walking by the docks in London and on a barge but the clip did not air. This footage was to accompany “Friends” on a Dec 26 edition of the show, but was ultimately junked because the single tanked. But footage and color home movie footage from this is seen in the American Band Film.  Dec 10 1968-The BBs completed the UK tour at the Odeon Theater in Glasgow. Vic Kettles was there filming his documentary of the tour.  He shot footage of Al and Bruce visiting Cullen Castle.  In addition to filming Al admiring the view (which was used in Endless Harmony), Kettles filmed Bruce and Al playing piano and eating in the castle.  The Beach Boys were also filmed backstage and onstage at the Odeon. 

Dec 12 1968-The BBs taped an app on Star Parade for ZDF TV, Munich-singing Do It Again and Bluebirds Over the Mountain (Vic Kettles filmed footage of the taping too) and Musik fur junge Leute, ZDF TV-the same songs. The next day the BBs played at the KongressHalle in Dusseldorf-with the Black Cats. Martin Blok of the Rheinische Post was unimpressed by the group’s live sound: “In the Kongresshalle the amps were too loud. The five stars from the west coast, aided by an eight-man orchestra, followed suit…They played and sang many of their best creations in a clichéd manner, showing their vocal and instrumental abilities from time to time, but mainly affecting the audience with their aggressive rhythm.” 

On Dec 14 1968 the BBs were in Amsterdam to tape the Twien TV Show-they Mimed to Do It Again, Friends, California Girls, Darlin, Wouldn’t It Be Nice, Sloop John B, Good Vibrations, God Only Knows and Barbara Ann-before an audience-Portions of this performance are in American Band.  That night they played their first concert in the Netherlands at the Concertgebouw.  A reporter from Muziek Express, commented, “They apparently have worked on their appearance and also the instrumentation has been upgraded to a higher level.  The result: the first concert of the Beach Boys has become one of the finest pop happenings of the year 1968.  On December 15 the BBs were at the Palais des Beaux Arts in Brussels. According to Billboard, the Beach Boys first concert in Belgium was broadcast on Belgian TV.  Daryl Dragon was on the tour and told me “The only thing I didn’t like about touring in Europe was the cold winter.  I was with the other musicians, a lot of whom were English, and I was stuck with them that whole tour.  And they got an English bus, which wasn’t used to the cold in Europe.  They put it on a ferry and got across the English Channel and we were all on the bus except the Beach Boys, who flew over there and had beautiful limos. And I have never been so cold in my life.  Every musician got sick, every one of them. I thought they were all going to die from pneumonia. I spent all my money on a sheepskin coat. I wrapped myself in that and I stayed warm.”

Dec 16 1968-a Concert at the Olympia Theater, Paris was canceled due to poor sales. Instead the BBs played the Stadthalle in Bremen, Germany.  The Weser Kurier reported, “’Do It Again’ made the female audience scream in a frenzied way, which in turn animated the choirboys on the stage.  Dennis, the drummer of the California skylarks, beat so vehemently on his drums that the calfskin tore apart.” Earlier that day the BBs taped their first app on the Beat Club TV Show: Miming Bluebirds Over the Mountain, Do It Again and California Girls- the documentary crew filming the tour also filmed them backstage at this taping-seen in An American Band.  The next day the BBs flew to Milan to tape two appearances on the Settevoci TV Show (Aired Dec 22 1968 and Jan 10 1969). The BBs were back in England on Dec 18 to tape Top of the Pops but the footage didn’t air.  On Dec 15 The Flame had opened a weeklong engagement at Blaises-which Al apparently attended (probably on the 18th) and Carl then saw the next day.  He was soon working to sign them to Brother Records and get them visas.

Dec 16 1969-The BBs appearance on the syndicated Dennis Wholey TV Show (probably taped in Cincinnati in November) aired.  There is a rough tape of it that makes the rounds-Dennis premiered Slip on Through on the show.  Would sure be cool to find a video of this-since audio exists its always possible film does too.

Dec 6 1970-The BBs completed their residency at the Fiesta Night Club in Sheffield with comedian Jimmy Marshall, singer Keeley Ford and the Flame. On Dec 8 they played the Gaumont in Paris. The Beach Boys performances of “Country Air,” “Wouldn’t It Be Nice,” “Riot in Cellblock 9,” “Cotton Fields,” “Their Hearts Were Full of Spring,” and “It’s About Time” were filmed for French TV. The group was also interviewed prior to the show while lying on a large bed.  They discussed their recent concert at Big Sur and their outdated image as a surfing group.  Bruce was not present for the interview segment. The BBs played in Lyon the next day and then returned to the UK to play Finsbury Park on Dec 11. Neil Roberts of Melody Maker declared the group “great” and noted that they “belted out their songs almost record perfect, swapping instruments after each song like a family of brothers getting dressed with not quite enough clothes to go round.”  But he also argued the show would have been better if “they had scrapped some of the weaker material, like the cod rock and roll number, and one or two other less typical songs, and performed more of the standards that have made them.” This kind of comment would persist throughout the Rieley years. The BBs were in Bournemouth the next day and then in the Beatles hometown of Liverpool- on December 13. 

The BBs taped a show for Radio Luxembourg on December 14 and then Bruce appeared on the Top Pop TV Show in Amsterdam to sing a solo Tears in the Morning the next day. According to the NME, the Beach Boys taped a TV appearance in Brussels on December 16 and then they played the “Save Rave,” at the Royal Albert Hall on December 17, where they met Princess Margaret.  This was a benefit concert on behalf of the Invalid Children’s Aid Association.  When asked why they did so many charity events, Al replied “Man we made it, we got money. We’re all healthy (well sort of), so it just seems right that we should do something for others, it makes me feel good.  The bad thing is that once you say you like charities, hundreds of letters come pouring in, asking us to play for free, or to give bread.”  The BBs then planned a series of dates in continental Europe but on December 18 Bruce told a reporter that Carl had suffered an attack of appendicitis and was playing the tour in pain. “Anyway, unless we miss our date in Amsterdam tonight because of the fog and have to play it later, we should be going home in a few days and he can rest and get well at home in the States.” The BBs did play the legendary show at the Concertgebouw in Amsterdam on December 18, arriving after hours of delay due to fog. A Dutch paper noted, “With clapping and cheering Bruce Johnston, Mike Love, Al Jardine, and brothers Dennis and Carl Wilson were forgiven that they were hours too late.  Successively the excited audience listened to hits like ‘Cotton Fields’, ‘Good Vibrations’, ‘God Only Knows’, ‘I Get Around’, ‘Forever’, ‘Tears in The Morning’, and the a cappella ‘Their Hearts Were Full of Spring’.”

Dec 6-10 1971-The BBs worked on Carl and the Passions tracks You Need A Mess of Help, Marcella, Here She Comes and He Come Down.  On Dec 10-11 1971 they were at Bill Graham’s Winterland in San Francisco with Stoneground and Mason Profitt. The SF Examiner noted, “Don’t Go Near the Water was a good starter but ominous-the voices and lyrics were muddy, as they were all night. The Beach Boys lavishly produced recording sounds were never approached at Winterland and the show suffered because of it…There was lots of dancing. That’s good and rather old fashioned, although it showed the extent of available empty Winterland space for the show.”

Dec 6 1973 the BBs played at Eastern Illinois University. The Eastern News reported that “at times more than half of the crowd was on their feet dancing, clapping, and dancing in the aisles…Old standards like ‘Sloop John B’ and ‘California Girls’ were played in a perfection of sound and balance that one only hears on a disc.” The next day the BBs played the Public Hall in Cleveland with ELO and Linda Ronstadt and then at the Music Hall in Boston with Dalton and DuBarry on December 8.  As was often the case-there was resistance to the BBs progressive music. The reviewer noted, “The applause was minimal for the new material, but when the Boys broke into an oldie, the entire audience rose from their seats as one unity.” The BBs were at Rhode Island University the next night and then New Hampshire University with Henry Gross on December 10. They played the CW Post Dome in Long Island on Dec 11 and then Constitution Hall in DC the next night. Tom Zito, of the Washington Post noted that, “Dennis Wilson…stayed stage left most of the night, dressed in a dark three piece suit and tie, singing halfheartedly into a microphone, looking bored, bored, bored…The music may have sounded fresh and novel to a new audience whose older brothers and sisters grew up on the Beach Boys, but 12 years on the stage with the same act has to become a drag.  And it’s starting to show.”

The BBs played Newark State College with Henry Gross on Dec 13, 1973 and the Spectrum in Philadelphia the following night. The Inquirer reviewer called it “far and away the best gig they ever brought to town!... It was a generous concert by past Beach Boys standards while in Philadelphia. They sang 15 tunes and were called back twice to sing four more.” Dennis was in a three-piece pinstripe suit, while Mike wore a “hot pink crushed velvet jump suit with a bright yellow sun blazing across its front”!  They played the Springfield MA Auditorium on December 15 and at Seton Hall with Henry Gross on December 16. They were at Brooklyn College with Henry Gross on Dec 18 and then a great Madison Square Garden show with Linda Ronstadt on December 19, where Bruce joined the band for the encore. They should have been on top of the world but an ugly backstage bust up that led to Blondie Chaplin quitting the band put a sour taste on this tour.

Dec 6 1974 the BBs played the University of Utah with Honk. The reviewer noted, “They didn’t stop clapping, swaying, stomping and screaming all night long as the Beach Boys presented old time favorites time after time.  There was ‘In My Room’ and ‘Surfin’ Safari’ and both brought renewed cheers from the audience…It’s the kind of music that makes you happy and takes you back to that time when the biggest problem was finding a big wave.” The next night they played Boise State University and then the Spokane Coliseum on December 9 and Seattle on the 10th-with Honk.  They played Vancouver on the 11 and 14 with a show in Portland, OR in between. The reviewer on Dec 11 commented that they were “distracted and distracting at first with the Boys faltering in their harmonies and everybody changing instruments after almost every number in a weird ritual crab-dance. The performance gathered strength and momentum as it went and by the time they were into their long home stretch run of sunshine favorites everything was pretty well right on at the right time and in the right key.”  Dec 18 1974 the BBs played in Fresno with Little Feat.

Dec 13 and 14 1975 the BBs were back in Vancouver and then played in Seattle the next two nights with Cecilio and Kapono. They were in Portland OR on December 17. Oregonian critic John Wendeborn noted that they played “as if it were 1965 all over again. ‘I Get Around’ and ‘Barbara Ann’ elicited more noise from the audience than any crowd in recent memory…It was a highly entertaining concert, one which sent most of the crowd (if not all of it) home still singing and humming the songs many of the fans had sung along with inside the Arena moments before.”  Dec 15 1976 The BBs played the Oakland Coliseum with Brian there for the whole show and then spent two nights at the Seattle Center on December 17 and 18.  Seattle Times critic Patrick MacDonald was disturbed by Brian’s return, noting that he looked “around from his piano bench frequently to get encouragement from somebody sitting behind him, presumably his psychoanalyst who is with him always…He acknowledged big signs that said ‘Welcome Back’ and waved back at people, but he had a blank, distant, unsmiling look on his face.  At times it was eerie.”

Dec 9 1977- Dennis held a session for the Bambu song Baby Blue. Two days later he was with the BBs, including Brian, in Vancouver-with the Foreman Young Band.  The band had recently almost split for good and remained in a fragile state. There had been no real rehearsal.  As a result, harmonies were flat, vocals were all over the place and the band frequently was not on the same page. Dennis appeared inebriated and spent much of the show rambling inanities into the microphone between songs. Vaughn Palmer, of the Vancouver Sun declared it “one of the most disgracefully inept performances I have ever seen a major rock act mount.” The next day they were at the Portland, OR and then played Seattle on Dec 13. The unreleased MIU documentary Our Team has footage of the group performing “Fun, Fun, Fun,” “Surfin’ USA” and of Dennis performing “You Are So Beautiful,” which he dedicated to the crippled children the group had met that day in a local hospital.  In addition, the group went into Kaye Stevens’ Studio to record public service announcements for Toys for Tots.  While there, Dennis, who had almost completely avoided sessions for MIU, added his terrific lead for “My Diane.” Our Team has footage of Dennis laying down his vocal.  The BBs played
Washington State University on December 14. The sound system was apparently terrible at this show, frustrating group members.  Dennis and grumbled throughout the show about his inability to hear other members.  Bruce Spotleson of The Lewiston Morning Tribune noted, however, that “He’d been slurring words all night, mumbling jumbles and generally singing off key whenever he was given the opportunity.”  His performance of “You Are So Beautiful” to begin the encore was apparently incoherent.  A harbinger of his steady decline in the ensuing years. The BBs played the University of Oregon on December 17.

Dec 7 1978-The BBs worked on Here Comes the Night at Sounds Good Studios. The next day they did overdubs on Angel Come Home, Love Surrounds Me and Full Sail at Brittania Studios. Carl recorded his lead on Good Timin there on December 13.  Two days later Wolfman Jack interviewed Carl Wilson for a “Salute to the Beach Boys” episode of the Midnight Special TV show.  On a separate date, Mike and Al also made an appearance on the show to introduce Beach Boys’ footage.  There is also a photo showing Brian being interviewed-not sure when this was filmed.  Dec 18 1978-The BBs added overdubs to Lady Lynda
Sumahama, Goin’ South and Here Comes the Night.  Dec 10 1979-The BBs worked on Goin On, Sunshine and Endless Harmony in Al’s barn.  On Dec 13 1979-they worked on Going to the Beach and then Endless Harmony and Surfer Suzie the next day.

Dec 6 1980-The BBs taped an app for the Dec 27 American Bandstand-they did a medley of hits with Brian-this is the show where Dick asked Brian what inspired him and he said-You! Unfortunately, Dennis stormed out rather than play a surf medley and Bobby Figueroa was called in at the last minute to drum.  Four days later Dennis was with the BBs (though Brian was absent) to tape the Mike Douglas TV show in Honolulu live on the beach-In honor of the appearance, the band appropriately performed their 1963 classic “Hawaii”.  They also performed “I Get Around”, “Catch a Wave”, “Fun, Fun, Fun”, “Surfin’ USA” and “Help Me Rhonda” This was two days after John Lennon’s murder but this was not mentioned of course.  Dec 12-the BBs played the Mini Dome in Pocatello, ID with Brian. Jill Small, of the Idaho State Journal, declared the show "far from boring, and it was made up entirely of old songs...Vocalist Mike Love, with the nasal tone identified with the Beach Boys, was as crazy as ever, stocking footed on the white-carpeted stage.  Dennis Wilson played hard driving drums.  Carl and Al sang and played guitar through the 20 Beach Boy hits and Brian Wilson accompanied on piano.  The only shortcoming to develop in 20 years, except weaker voices, seems to be the missing high pitched, fill in vocals, the 'oo oo's,' I assume used to flow from Brian. They could vaguely be heard, but I wasn't sure if they were coming from the stage or the audience."

The BBs were at Washington State University in Pullman on December 13, 1980 and the University of Washington with Walter Egan on December 14.  They returned to Vancouver on December 15, 1980. The reviewer noted that the BBs “pumped out the old tunes with infectious enthusiasm that kept the audience clapping along.  But there was a dark spot on the right hand of the stage, where Brian Wilson yawned, smoked and listlessly thumped a grand piano-a stark reminder that the innocent days are long gone…Apart from the lousy sound system, Johnston was easily the most irritating presence on the stage. During his solo spot (bad mistake) he plugged his record company, proved that it is possible to sing I Write the Songs even more cloyingly then Barry Manilow does and to top things off dedicated the foolish song to John Lennon.”

Dec 10-13 1981-Mike Love had tour dates scheduled to plug his solo album but all the dates were canceled due to poor sales: The canceled shows were at the Sheraton Airport in Portland, OR, Oregon State University in Corvallis, OR and Astor Park in Seattle, WA

Dec 6 1984 the BBs played the Riverside Theatre in Milwaukee with Flash Kahan. They were at the Ohio Theatre in Columbus, OH the next day and then played Indiana State University on Dec 8 1984. Sheila Hoffman reported in the Sycamore Yearbook, “Singing the ballad ‘God Only Knows What I’d Do,’ guitarist Carl Wilson brought tears to the eyes of many.  Each song was more intense than the last.  ‘Wouldn’t It Be Nice,’ ‘Little Surfer,’ ‘Don’t Worry Baby’ and ‘Help Me Rhonda’ all continuously brought fans to their feet clapping and singing.”
They played the Holiday Star Theater in Merrillville, IN on Dec 9 and then were in Baltimore on Dec 11 1984. The reviewer praised the band’s performance but noted “The Beach Boys have become prisoners of their own success, a traveling live jukebox of hits. But that’s what their audience wants, and that’s what they give them.”  The BBs played in Greenville, SC with Sugarcreek on Dec 13 and then played a private party in Washington, DC the next night. The tour ended in Rochester, NY with Henry Gross on Dec 15 1984.

Dec 6-8 1986-Rehearsals for the BBs 25th Anniversary TV show produced by Marty Pasetta (of Aloha from Hawaii fame) began in Hawaii. Brian wasn’t there
For at least the first night as he played a NAS tribute Show in Beverly Hills on December 6.  Dec 9-11 1986-The BBs pre-recorded the music for the TV show in Hawaii with Terry Melcher producing at Commercial Recording in Honolulu
On Dec 11 there was a Photo session and full rehearsal using pre-recorded tracks.
The next day they taped the 25th Anniversary Show at the Royal Hawaiian Hotel, in Waikiki with Ray Charles, Belinda Carlisle, Three Dog Night and the Everly Brothers and comedian Joe Piscopo.  It aired in March 1987.  It sounds like such a good idea but unfortunately it is almost totally cheesy and unwatchable-especially Piscopo. The band sang live to pre-recorded tracks but held a recording session to repair vocals they were not happy with.  The show was most notable for the inclusion of a new song by Brian called “The Spirit of Rock and Roll”.  Dec 17 1986-The BBs played the Sullivan Arena in Anchorage, AK-with Brian in place of Mike, who was allegedly ill.  Think I’ll stop here.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2019, 02:33:08 AM »

Once again thank you for sharing this with us!

Dec 15 1967-The BBs appeared at the televised UNICEF Gala taped in Paris. The BBs dressed in white suits (Bruce with moustache), performed “Barbara Ann”, “God Only Knows” and “O Come All Ye Faithful” prior to Marlon Brando’s performance of a Tahitian dance! John and George were there with their wives and following the show, they introduced the Beach Boys to Maharishi, who gave them a mantra and explained TM.  Ironically, Mike, who’d become the most devout meditator in the group, missed the meeting as he had decided to fly on to London immediately after the show.  An excited Dennis had to get on the phone with him and convince him to return to be initiated.  I have interviews from a few days later and it’s clear they all were really turned on by meeting him.  He had a real charisma, I guess.  On December 18 the BBs were all back in London to appear on the Pop Inn Show on BBC Radio.

Do we know if these were all the songs they played? The footage on youtube obviously has some edits.

Dec 6-8 1986-Rehearsals for the BBs 25th Anniversary TV show produced by Marty Pasetta (of Aloha from Hawaii fame) began in Hawaii. Brian wasn’t there
For at least the first night as he played a NAS tribute Show in Beverly Hills on December 6.  Dec 9-11 1986-The BBs pre-recorded the music for the TV show in Hawaii with Terry Melcher producing at Commercial Recording in Honolulu
On Dec 11 there was a Photo session and full rehearsal using pre-recorded tracks.
The next day they taped the 25th Anniversary Show at the Royal Hawaiian Hotel, in Waikiki with Ray Charles, Belinda Carlisle, Three Dog Night and the Everly Brothers and comedian Joe Piscopo.  It aired in March 1987.  It sounds like such a good idea but unfortunately it is almost totally cheesy and unwatchable-especially Piscopo. The band sang live to pre-recorded tracks but held a recording session to repair vocals they were not happy with.  The show was most notable for the inclusion of a new song by Brian called “The Spirit of Rock and Roll”.

The background vocals on this TV special sound almost like Foskett-only to me. I wished we'd at least have the original audio. I would love to hear Ray Charles with the Boys without any repair-work.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2019, 05:03:58 AM »

I am unsure if they played more-but I may have some more info somewhere. When I wrote my book I amassed so many documents-I’ll take a look. But they were only one of the numerous acts on the bill so 3 songs seems about right
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2019, 11:27:46 AM »

It looks like that was the whole set
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2019, 12:44:41 PM »

It looks like that was the whole set

Thanks! Then I guess they played "Oh come all ye faithful" at the end of the whole show or it was an encore for their own part. The footage on youtube shows no transition between GOK and "Oh come...".

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
kennyhasbeenfound
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2019, 12:52:53 PM »

I don't know.  That part where Piscopo stands on the beach and dumps oil on the sand was comedy gold.

"Shut up you guys"- Carl Wilson.
Rebel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2019, 01:29:45 PM »

Whoa the beach boys played Bremen Germany 1968? I’m here now visiting. Had no idea. Cool!
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2019, 02:48:26 PM »

They were there in 1968 and 1969-That is where the TV show Beat Club was filmed, so it was a place many bands passed through.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2019, 09:13:04 AM »

The '86 "25th Anniversary" special needs its own "Mystery Science Theater 3000" treatment. Including the little interstitial bits in and out of commercial breaks (not on most copies which seem to come from a Japanese laserdisc).

Brian waving to Ray Charles. Mike blurting "Don Ho, what are YOU doing here?". Belinda Carlisle having a song-length near-wardrobe malfunction. Brian's awful teleprompter (or cue card) reading. Glen Campbell totally biffing his lines on "I Get Around." The general "b-list" (with a few exceptions) nature of the guest list in general.

There's an interview somewhere (I think reprinted in that "In Their Own Words" book) about Mike being ticked off that Billy Joel turned down doing the 25th Anniversary show. I guess Mike felt Billy owed the band a little considering as he had opened for the BBs years prior.

There's a great account of the pre-taping audio work for the show in the Gary Usher diaries book. It's kind of amazing the show came off at all considering how dysfunctional the pre-production work went. Landy butting in. Usher trying not to usurp Melcher. Al doing his infamous bit with Usher about the money he lost 87 years prior. Carl and Al refusing to sing on the Landy track.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2019, 09:18:23 AM »

Someone needs to dig up a recording of a December 1986 show in *Alaska* with Brian filling in for Mike. Wtf? I'm curious if he really just happened to fall ill for that gig, or if he just said "Meh, I'd rather not fly all the way to Alaska in December. Call Brian."

Still surprised the band would occasionally call Brian to "fill in" for Al or Mike when they missed shows in the 80s and 90s. I'd say there was some sort of contractual thing where they needed four members on stage (including three founding), but then they did gigs in 1990 without Carl and didn't call Brian, and just did them with a Mike-Al-Bruce lineup. They also did Al-less shows in 1990 with a Carl-Mike-Bruce lineup, and Mike-less shows in 1990 with a Carl-Al-Bruce lineup.

They did some Mike-less shows in 1983 as well, but Dennis made most or all of those shows so they still had four members (three founding) on stage for those shows.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2019, 11:16:34 AM »

The '86 "25th Anniversary" special needs its own "Mystery Science Theater 3000" treatment. Including the little interstitial bits in and out of commercial breaks (not on most copies which seem to come from a Japanese laserdisc).

Brian waving to Ray Charles. Mike blurting "Don Ho, what are YOU doing here?". Belinda Carlisle having a song-length near-wardrobe malfunction. Brian's awful teleprompter (or cue card) reading. Glen Campbell totally biffing his lines on "I Get Around." The general "b-list" (with a few exceptions) nature of the guest list in general.

There's an interview somewhere (I think reprinted in that "In Their Own Words" book) about Mike being ticked off that Billy Joel turned down doing the 25th Anniversary show. I guess Mike felt Billy owed the band a little considering as he had opened for the BBs years prior.

There's a great account of the pre-taping audio work for the show in the Gary Usher diaries book. It's kind of amazing the show came off at all considering how dysfunctional the pre-production work went. Landy butting in. Usher trying not to usurp Melcher. Al doing his infamous bit with Usher about the money he lost 87 years prior. Carl and Al refusing to sing on the Landy track.
The thing that sticks out in my mind regarding that special is Brian mouthing the "script" along with one of the guys when they were speaking(I think maybe it was Mike?), and Joe Piscopo's horrible Bruce Springsteen impression. I also remember Carl seeming to get really emotional during "Heaven". At one point you can actually see him swallowing hard between verses.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Rebel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2019, 03:50:39 AM »

Was he aware that he was terminally ill at that point?
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2019, 06:16:51 AM »

Was he aware that he was terminally ill at that point?

No, this was 1986.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2019, 04:00:12 AM »

He loved Dennis and often got emotional thinking of him
BBs Footage Saga
Smiley Smile Associate

FOOTAGE!!!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2019, 05:17:17 AM »

I love the Twien Tv appearance, That's Miming Gold (Well you can hear some live vocals in the Barbara Ann clip). Some footage of the Stadhalle is seen in the European Tour documentary (Set to I Get Around). We can't forget the Musik For Jeung Leuten Tv Appearance where they performed Bluebirds over the Mountain and I Can Hear music, I have a partial Bluebirds clip and Vik Kettle shooted some footage during the I Can Hear Music taping (Shown between the Beat Club footage), Reelin in the years alledgely have the whole thing. I want to know more about the Settevoci tv programa, What they performed and those things.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx