gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:17:01 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: BW and the Beatles' Revolver  (Read 13284 times)
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2009, 03:49:41 PM »

Oh gosh, 12 - bar original should have been erased the minute after it was recorded.  police It's their Hawthorne Boulevard.  Cheesy

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2009, 04:47:03 PM »

good call

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Sciencefriction
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2009, 05:59:17 PM »

Now if only 12 Bar Blues had John Lennon lyrics/vocals... hmm.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2009, 06:29:00 PM »

or it didnt have such a Green Onions vibe.

It actually reminds me of the BB instrumentals pre-Summer Days; simple kinda jams with a basic structure...kinda surprised it wasn't anymore creative, but it was pre-rubber Soul I reckon...Anyone find it wierd in the lack of instrumentals in the Beatles catalog? besides Flying, which isn't that great, hell, Passing By is better....I've heard a better version of Flying with more sounds and such. any other instrumentals in their cannon? (official/unofficial)

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
The Song Of The Grange
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2009, 10:23:15 PM »

I wonder which song on Revolver BW was referring to as "religious music"?  Tomorrow Never Knows has the Tibetan Book of the Dead influence, which I guess counts as religious.  Maybe it is certain qualities in the music of many songs on the album that he thought had a spiritual sound, like church music or something.  Maybe something like Here There and Everywhere.

Ummm... care to show me the quote that explicitly states Brian was referencing Revolver when he said that ?  He just mentions the band. This is how myths evolve - from something that wasn't said in the first place.

The quote we are referring to is from the Jules Siegel Goodbye Surfing, Hello God article.  BW says to Siegel: "I'm doing the spiritual sound, a white spiritual sound.  Religious music.  Did you hear the Beatles album?  Religious, right?  That's the whole movement.  That's where I'm going.  It's going to scare a lot of people."  The question is, which Beatles album is he referring to?  In late 1966 "the Beatles album" could be referring to the latest release, which at the time was Revolver.  But who knows if this is actually the case--thus my question on the subject.  Could have been Rubber Soul, could have been Yesterday and Today.  I am just wondering what he was seeing in the Beatles output that was "religious."
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2009, 12:39:57 AM »

Nah, too samey. Give me variety, like in Rubber Soul (UK), Help (UK), Today and Summer Days. You see, this American Rubber Sould screwed the band's career. It was all downhill after Per Sounds.  Smiley

You also lose the punchline of the album's title.You can't call it Rubber Soul if you take something that's R & B influenced as Drive My Car and replace it with the folksy I've Just Seen A Face.

Exactly. I may be known by my bad taste, but I'm just not ready to cheer for the substitution of 'Drive My Car' for filler like 'It's Only Love'.

I think both songs are killer (IOL is probably my very favorite Lennon-song). But imo "Drive my car" rocks a little too hard compared to the rest of the album

IOL may not be as innovative or substantial as Drive My Car, but IMO it hardly qualifies as "filler", and neither does I've Just Seen A Face. I love both (the Anthology version of IOL is
even better). Now Run For Your Life, on the other hand...

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2009, 12:53:57 AM »

The quote we are referring to is from the Jules Siegel Goodbye Surfing, Hello God article.  BW says to Siegel: "I'm doing the spiritual sound, a white spiritual sound.  Religious music.  Did you hear the Beatles album?  Religious, right?  That's the whole movement.  That's where I'm going.  It's going to scare a lot of people."  The question is, which Beatles album is he referring to?  In late 1966 "the Beatles album" could be referring to the latest release, which at the time was Revolver.  But who knows if this is actually the case--thus my question on the subject.  Could have been Rubber Soul, could have been Yesterday and Today.  I am just wondering what he was seeing in the Beatles output that was "religious."

While it's possible that Brian was still so blown away by Rubber Soul a year after its initial release that he thought it was obviously THE "Beatles album," I tend to think that he probably meant Revolver.  When he says,  "That's the whole movement," it's hard to imagine that he meant that Rubber Soul, an album from a year earlier, was the best example of a then-current "movement."  From the context, whatever the latest Beatles album was (i.e., Revolver) makes the most sense.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2009, 07:36:35 AM »

Rubber Soul allegedly caused half-deaf Brian Wilson to make Pet Sounds. (I assume this is also why EMI released a mono version of the catalogue—it allows consumers to experience this album the same way Wilson did.)

http://www.avclub.com/articles/chuck-klosterman-repeats-the-beatles,32560/

Grin
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2009, 10:24:17 AM »

I wonder which song on Revolver BW was referring to as "religious music"?  Tomorrow Never Knows has the Tibetan Book of the Dead influence, which I guess counts as religious.  Maybe it is certain qualities in the music of many songs on the album that he thought had a spiritual sound, like church music or something.  Maybe something like Here There and Everywhere.

Ummm... care to show me the quote that explicitly states Brian was referencing Revolver when he said that ?  He just mentions the band. This is how myths evolve - from something that wasn't said in the first place.

Acid'll do that to ya...  Shocked

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
variable2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2009, 03:41:44 PM »

I am just wondering what he was seeing in the Beatles output that was "religious."

Look deep enough into other definitions of what people define as religious other than the western perspective and perhaps you will find out
A Million Units In Jan!
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2009, 03:52:25 PM »

For example, maybe to Brian, 'Got To Get You Into My Life' was about religion.

I would think that, IF the album in question is Revolver (and even if it isn't, I'm sure he still listened to it at some point), 'Tomorrow Never Knows' must have blown his mind.

Which TV drama was it where Brian is a vegetable laying around the house listening to 'Sgt. Pepper' over and over?
variable2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2009, 05:14:39 PM »

the lyrics to tomorrow never knows are based on the tibetan book of the dead translation by richard alpert and timothy leary, popular to read whilst dropping acid as a means to experiencing the loss of the self, or ego death.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2009, 07:41:29 PM »

I definitely think Brian was talking about Revolver. Rubber Soul was the sound of the Beatles discovering marijuana. Revolver was the sound of the Beatles discovering LSD. The spiritualness of Revolver goes well beyond the obviousness of "Tomorrow Never Knows". Lennon is in fine guru form here, from the ego death of "She Said She Said" to the proto-"Strawberry Fields Forever" lyrics of "And Your Bird Can Sing", and the dropping out mentality of "I'm Only Sleeping". Harrison's "Love You To" is tinged with Eastern mysticism, and the lyrics remind of a modern take on the Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam. McCartney's balladeering here is especially inspired, with the more mature takes on love, like "For No One" and "Here, There, and Everwhere" chasing the same spiritual feeling as Brian did on Pet Sounds. And how about "Good Day Sunshine"? What an uplifting feeling in the chorus, it's like a spiritual. "Yellow Submarine" has that same childlike lightheartedness Brian would later try to capture with "Vegetables". He felt that humor opened up people to spiritual experiences.

I can see where Brian was coming from.
The Song Of The Grange
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2009, 08:54:03 PM »

I definitely think Brian was talking about Revolver. Rubber Soul was the sound of the Beatles discovering marijuana. Revolver was the sound of the Beatles discovering LSD. The spiritualness of Revolver goes well beyond the obviousness of "Tomorrow Never Knows". Lennon is in fine guru form here, from the ego death of "She Said She Said" to the proto-"Strawberry Fields Forever" lyrics of "And Your Bird Can Sing", and the dropping out mentality of "I'm Only Sleeping". Harrison's "Love You To" is tinged with Eastern mysticism, and the lyrics remind of a modern take on the Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam. McCartney's balladeering here is especially inspired, with the more mature takes on love, like "For No One" and "Here, There, and Everwhere" chasing the same spiritual feeling as Brian did on Pet Sounds. And how about "Good Day Sunshine"? What an uplifting feeling in the chorus, it's like a spiritual. "Yellow Submarine" has that same childlike lightheartedness Brian would later try to capture with "Vegetables". He felt that humor opened up people to spiritual experiences.

Well stated Dada.

Back on the topic of Rubber Soul:  Jim Fusilli says (in his book Pet Sounds) that BW heard the American Rubber Soul.  I don't know how he knows this, but he seems credible.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2009, 04:31:13 AM »

I imagine just plain common sense dictates that BW heard the american one.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Marty77
Smiley Smile Associate

Boys And Girls.I give you Cumbernauld Town Centre!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2009, 04:43:51 AM »

I'm sure there is an interview with Brian where he singles out Norwegian Wood for it's artistic and commercial merits. I believe he held NW as an example of the level at which he and the BB's should be operating. Anyone else remember this? Might have been on that Brian Live on tour DVD.

"Dont' you think the Beach Boys are boss??!! ....I don't like that surfing sh*t"
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2009, 09:17:04 AM »

You have to keep in mind And Your Bird Can Sing and I'm Only Sleeping weren't on the American release.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2009, 10:03:57 AM »

LOL You're right, and it turns out that "Doctor Robert" wasn't  on the U.S. Revolver, either, leaving only two Lennon songs on the album (sure, the songs were credited to Lennon/McCartney, but I think by then listeners, especially those as musically astute as Brian, could pick up on the now notable differences in their styles). What a ridiculous arrangement. I wonder what old Johnny boy thought about that, if he knew about it, that is.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2009, 10:47:39 AM »

I'm sure there is an interview with Brian where he singles out Norwegian Wood for it's artistic and commercial merits. I believe he held NW as an example of the level at which he and the BB's should be operating. Anyone else remember this? Might have been on that Brian Live on tour DVD.

I don't remember the particular example you're referring to, but in one of the contemporary articles in LLVS, Brian mentions Norwegian Wood while pointing out that the Beatles are so good because they can make their songs work with very basic and simple arrangements.  He mentions that if it were his song, he would have orchestrated it, put in background voices, etc., but the fact that they could do it with just an acoustic guitar, sitar and tambourine is what makes them so good.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2009, 10:52:20 AM »

Brian mentions Norwegian Wood while pointing out that the Beatles are so good because they can make their songs work with very basic and simple arrangements.  He mentions that if it were his song, he would have orchestrated it, put in background voices, etc.,

In fact that's what Jan&Dean did on their version

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2009, 02:27:55 PM »

You have to keep in mind And Your Bird Can Sing and I'm Only Sleeping weren't on the American release.

Remember those Beatles' cartoons? You don't? Well, the opening "theme song" for the cartoons (third season?) was "And Your Bird Can Sing". An interesting choice. Does anybody remember what the "closing song" was?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 02:57:32 PM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2009, 06:34:41 PM »

I think they definitely knew and were angry about it. I think the butcher cover of Yesterday... was a protest of sorts against it

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2009, 10:43:08 PM »

He was probably referrring to Revolver in that quote. When he made mention of being amazed
by the Beatles releasing "a whole album of all good stuff" meaning no filler, he was referring to
Rubber Soul at an earlier juncture, right? Huh

While it's possible that Brian was still so blown away by Rubber Soul a year after its initial release that he thought it was obviously THE "Beatles album," I tend to think that he probably meant Revolver.  When he says,  "That's the whole movement," it's hard to imagine that he meant that Rubber Soul, an album from a year earlier, was the best example of a then-current "movement."  From the context, whatever the latest Beatles album was (i.e., Revolver) makes the most sense.

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
Marty77
Smiley Smile Associate

Boys And Girls.I give you Cumbernauld Town Centre!

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2009, 06:01:40 AM »

I don't remember the particular example you're referring to, but in one of the contemporary articles in LLVS, Brian mentions Norwegian Wood while pointing out that the Beatles are so good because they can make their songs work with very basic and simple arrangements.  He mentions that if it were his song, he would have orchestrated it, put in background voices, etc., but the fact that they could do it with just an acoustic guitar, sitar and tambourine is what makes them so good.

Cool. Yeah. Thought I'd heard NW brought up somehow.

Thanks

"Dont' you think the Beach Boys are boss??!! ....I don't like that surfing sh*t"
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2009, 08:32:22 PM »

Paul is dead

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx