gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681340 Posts in 27635 Topics by 4081 Members - Latest Member: zappi June 04, 2024, 11:12:10 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Jan & Dean  (Read 28128 times)
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 30, 2009, 12:13:23 PM »

BTW found this pic of J&D and Dennis on the official Jan Berry-site. Shot by Ed Roach:

Yikes!  How odd for you to come up w/this one, Rocker, right in the midst of this Roman Polanski fiasco...
Reminds me how quickly I had to pry Dennis away from those pretty young things!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: September 30, 2009, 01:44:25 PM »

Jan & Dean's personal relationship and problems weren't rooted in politics. And Dean is currently a Republican who lives in Right Wing Orange County . . . a Republican enclave in Blue-state California.
Aha, so that's why Mike likes him so much!

In a perfect world, the Beach Boys would have traded Mike and a performer to be named later (Bruce) for Jan in '62 or '63.  Jan would have been working away on Good Vibrations in April 1966, thereby avoiding his car crash.  Jan's compositional and production talents would have taken some of the pressure off Brian, allowing Smile to be completed and released.  And Mike, Dean and Bruce would have put together an entire album of songs about how cool the kids in Utah are, including Tears for Taylorsville and Provo Is the (Nearest Faraway) Place.

I thought about this too. Jan's voice was very much like Mike's, even Brian mentioned this somewhere. But I don't think it would've turned out good. Brian and Jan both were great artists but also leaders and none would let the other take over complete as they both did on their individual acts. Brian would never let anybody else produce his music and Jan wouldn't listen to anyone telling him what to do.

Yikes!  How odd for you to come up w/this one, Rocker, right in the midst of this Roman Polanski fiasco...

Well, until now it was just a cool picture to me....  Grin

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Mark A. Moore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: September 30, 2009, 05:45:56 PM »

BTW found this pic of J&D and Dennis on the official Jan Berry-site. Shot by Ed Roach:

Haha! . . . Hey Dennis, we're over here, man !! 

Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 30, 2009, 07:57:49 PM »

Not just Dennis, Mark.  Check out the girl in front of Dean, checking out The Wood....
Mark A. Moore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: September 30, 2009, 08:00:18 PM »

Not just Dennis, Mark.  Check out the girl in front of Dean, checking out The Wood....

LMAO !

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 01, 2009, 09:59:39 PM »

Hey Mark, I have a Jan and Dean question, and I figured you'd probably be the best person to ask. In the DeadMan's Curve movie, there is a scene with a post accident Jan trying to record a song in the studio. I was hoping you could tell me the name of the song. Is it an actual song he did? Or is a made up song, like they did with the Dennis Wilson charactor in Summer Dreams?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
MBE
« Reply #56 on: October 01, 2009, 11:01:38 PM »

It was a made up song. I think they wanted to use Tinsel Town but couldn't.
Mark A. Moore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: October 01, 2009, 11:29:02 PM »

Hey Mark, I have a Jan and Dean question, and I figured you'd probably be the best person to ask. In the DeadMan's Curve movie, there is a scene with a post accident Jan trying to record a song in the studio. I was hoping you could tell me the name of the song. Is it an actual song he did? Or is a made up song, like they did with the Dennis Wilson charactor in Summer Dreams?

That song was completely fictional.

Just like you never see Jan producing the music . . . another blatant falsehood spread by the movie.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: October 02, 2009, 02:29:15 AM »

Mark, another question. On the Batman-single, there's one voice that totally sounds like Brian's to me. It's the "no why"-spoken bit after "did you see that strange car?". Is this indeed Brian or does it just sound like him?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 02, 2009, 05:41:02 AM »

Mark- I am sure this has been discussed before-but based on your listening to the tapes-1) What are the sessions that Brian was at and took part in? (as compared to just co-writing the song but not singing on it)  2) Brian is listed on the Nov 14 1963 AFM sheet for "Deadman's Curve" (which was re-produced in Dumb Angel 4)-does this mean he actually played on the song, as compared to just vocals? And is this the single version or the album version? Is he on both or only one?  3) Did he play on any post 1963 sessions other than that Vegetables version?  By the way-my favorite Jan and Dean song is "Easy as One Two Three"...very pretty melody and nice singing by Jan and his girlfriend.
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 02, 2009, 08:22:10 AM »

Yea its weird how Dean used to be part of BW posse + in 80"s becomes close to Mike..If you check out the pic takin at airport in 67 with all of BW friends
Dean is in the pic along with Mark Volman..As far as Orange County goes still a great place to live..I dont care about politics.. Both sides are bought + sold..The recession is over ?? ...They are opening a new winco supermarket here in Hemet..10 000 people applied for 230 jobs..My wife got lucky + got one..And she has a degree in accounting....And ended up there..Dont buy what talkin heads are sayin..Ill get off my soapbox now..LOL..
Mark A. Moore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: October 02, 2009, 09:07:58 AM »

Mark- I am sure this has been discussed before-but based on your listening to the tapes-1) What are the sessions that Brian was at and took part in? (as compared to just co-writing the song but not singing on it)  2) Brian is listed on the Nov 14 1963 AFM sheet for "Deadman's Curve" (which was re-produced in Dumb Angel 4)-does this mean he actually played on the song, as compared to just vocals? And is this the single version or the album version? Is he on both or only one?  3) Did he play on any post 1963 sessions other than that Vegetables version?  By the way-my favorite Jan and Dean song is "Easy as One Two Three"...very pretty melody and nice singing by Jan and his girlfriend.

Brian could have played on DMC, or Jan could just have decided to add BW to the AFM contract. The 11-14-63 session was for the "Drag City" album version of DMC. Brian contributed to backing vocals on that version.

Brian doubled the lead vocal with Jan on "Surf City" in '63 and "Ride the Wild Surf" in '64. Brian also contributed to backing vocals on both, and a little falsetto.

Brian contributed to the harmonies on "Gonna Hustle You" and "Drag City."

Jan's arrangement for "Ride the Wild Surf" knocked Brian out completely. Well documented on session tapes. High praise from Brian, warm and effusive. Brian comes across as very relaxed and comfortable working with Jan.

M.

Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 02, 2009, 01:08:13 PM »

Haha! . . . Hey Dennis, we're over here, man !! 

Is that Danny Hutton on the left?

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: October 02, 2009, 01:44:29 PM »

Jan. Berry.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: October 02, 2009, 01:47:07 PM »

Brian doubled the lead vocal with Jan on "Surf City" in '63 and "Ride the Wild Surf" in '64. Brian also contributed to backing vocals on both, and a little falsetto.

A little falsetto ?  Smiley  On "Surf City" he's all over the chorus. Just like Dean said.

grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 02, 2009, 06:56:08 PM »

A little falsetto ?  Smiley  On "Surf City" he's all over the chorus. Just like Dean said.
I thought that was Vic from the Matadors...?

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
Mark A. Moore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: October 02, 2009, 07:34:32 PM »

It's supposedly Tony Minichiello of the Matadors. When I listen to Matadors/Dories tracks featuring falsetto, I can hear it and make the connection . . . (or can I?)

Even isolated, the "Two girls for every boy" just doesn't sound like Brian to me.

But the subtle falsetto on "Surf City, here we come" hits me as Brian 100 percent.

But our ears can play tricks on us . . . and we have to accept this reality, because I've experienced it myself . . . (and I'm not tone deaf, by any means).

Having heard the session tapes, I now know that Brian contributed some falsetto (along with Dean) to "Ride the Wild Surf" . . . in addition to BW doubling the lead vocal with Jan.

Vic Diaz (Matadors) has told me more than once that Dean never sang on "Surf City." Vic stands by that assertion today. And Vic was at those (often) after-midnight vocal sessions.

Jan swore that Dean was never on "Surf City" . . . and Dean confirmed that fact in multiple public interviews over the years (all documented) . . . But now, in the present era, Dean swears he sang on "Surf City."

Gonna Wrestle You . . .

M.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 02, 2009, 07:48:12 PM »

That song was completely fictional.

Just like you never see Jan producing the music . . . another blatant falsehood spread by the movie.
Thanks for the info!  Smiley One more question for you. Did the whole ending scene in the movie ever actually happen? I'm talking about the scene where they lipsync to a backing tape that stops working, and all hell breaks loose.

MBE
« Reply #68 on: October 02, 2009, 09:34:40 PM »

It happened in 1973 but they were booed off the stage and it wasn't that happy ending.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: October 02, 2009, 11:33:21 PM »

It's supposedly Tony Minichiello of the Matadors. When I listen to Matadors/Dories tracks featuring falsetto, I can hear it and make the connection . . . (or can I?)

Even isolated, the "Two girls for every boy" just doesn't sound like Brian to me.

But the subtle falsetto on "Surf City, here we come" hits me as Brian 100 percent.

But our ears can play tricks on us . . . and we have to accept this reality, because I've experienced it myself . . . (and I'm not tone deaf, by any means).

Having heard the session tapes, I now know that Brian contributed some falsetto (along with Dean) to "Ride the Wild Surf" . . . in addition to BW doubling the lead vocal with Jan.

Vic Diaz (Matadors) has told me more than once that Dean never sang on "Surf City." Vic stands by that assertion today. And Vic was at those (often) after-midnight vocal sessions.

Jan swore that Dean was never on "Surf City" . . . and Dean confirmed that fact in multiple public interviews over the years (all documented) . . . But now, in the present era, Dean swears he sang on "Surf City."

Gonna Wrestle You . . .

M.

Researchers golden rule #47(b) - if someone in recent times contradicts what they've been saying for decades, they're probably mistaken. Memories were fresher, more reliable some 45 years ago.

And Mark is spot on - sometimes we hear what we want to hear. Guilty myself...  Grin

LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 18, 2009, 04:59:54 AM »

Carnival of Sound is coming out officially this fall . . . with the "pristine quality" you're hoping for . . . and those familiar with the crappy acetate bootlegs are in for a real treat.

It's enlightening to compare what Jan Berry was working on in '67-'68, at the same time Brian Wilson was working on Smile and other material.

I'll post the specifics here when I get the OK.

M.

Is there any more word on this release? 
Mark A. Moore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: November 22, 2009, 02:27:42 PM »

Carnival of Sound is coming out officially this fall . . . with the "pristine quality" you're hoping for . . . and those familiar with the crappy acetate bootlegs are in for a real treat.

It's enlightening to compare what Jan Berry was working on in '67-'68, at the same time Brian Wilson was working on Smile and other material.

M.

In the pipeline and on track . . . Still finalizing the liner notes . . . and photos/images have been submitted.

No other specifics yet.

M.

adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 22, 2009, 07:10:48 PM »

With respect to Dean being in the Mike camp in the '80s...IIRC Dean was one of the moving forces in prying Brian away from Eugene Landy in the late '80s.  Which, if you think about it, is pretty badass of him, considering he wasn't even in the family or the group.  Mark or someone else can correct me if I'm wrong.
MBE
« Reply #73 on: November 22, 2009, 10:05:34 PM »

Dean to me has said some really kind things about all of them. I think he liked all the Beach Boys in different ways. Brian musically, Al and Carl as performers, Mike to chase girls with, Dennis to race with etc. He has some very good insights on the group.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 22, 2009, 10:47:21 PM »

M.

In the pipeline and on track . . . Still finalizing the liner notes . . . and photos/images have been submitted.

No other specifics yet.

M.
Is this a vinyl only release, or will there be a CD version?

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx